About Amgen (NASDAQ:AMGN)
Amgen Inc. discovers, develops, manufactures, and delivers human therapeutics worldwide. It offers products for the treatment of oncology/hematology, cardiovascular, inflammation, bone health, nephrology, and neuroscience. The company's products include Evenity to treat osteoporosis in postmenopausal women; Prolia to treat postmenopausal women with osteoporosis; Xgeva for skeletal-related events prevention; Repatha to treat coronary diseases; Enbrel to treat plaque psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis, and psoriatic arthritis; Parsabiv to treat secondary hyperparathyroidism (sHPT); and Aimovig for the prevention of migraine. Its products also comprise Blincyto to treat patients with Philadelphia chromosome-negative relapsed or refractory B-cell precursor acute lymphoblastic leukemia; Kyprolis, a proteasome inhibitor for the treatment of multiple myeloma and small-cell lung cancer; Nplate, a thrombopoietic compound. The company's marketed products include Neulasta, a pegylated protein to treat cancer patients; Aranesp to treat anemia; Sensipar/Mimpara products to treat sHPT in chronic kidney disease; EPOGEN to treat a lower-than-normal number of red blood cells; NEUPOGEN, a recombinant human granulocyte colony-stimulating factor; and IMLYGIC to treat various cancer cells. It serves pharmaceutical wholesale distributors; and physicians or their clinics, dialysis centers, hospitals, and pharmacies, as well as consumers. The company has collaborative agreements with Pfizer Inc.; UCB; Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals Inc. Amgen Inc. was founded in 1980 and is headquartered in Thousand Oaks, California.
Industry, Sector and Symbol
Industry Biological products, except diagnostic
Trailing P/E Ratio13.63
Forward P/E Ratio12.91
Sales & Book Value
Annual Sales$22.85 billion
Price / Sales5.02
Cash Flow$15.1110 per share
Price / Cash11.35
Book Value$34.77 per share
Price / Book4.93
EPS (Most Recent Fiscal Year)$12.58
Net Income$1.98 billion
Return on Equity30.87%
Return on Assets11.64%
Amgen (NASDAQ:AMGN) Frequently Asked Questions
What is Amgen's stock symbol?
Amgen trades on the NASDAQ under the ticker symbol "AMGN."
How often does Amgen pay dividends? What is the dividend yield for Amgen?
Amgen announced a quarterly dividend on Wednesday, March 7th. Stockholders of record on Thursday, May 17th will be given a dividend of $1.32 per share on Friday, June 8th. This represents a $5.28 dividend on an annualized basis and a dividend yield of 3.08%. The ex-dividend date is Wednesday, May 16th. View Amgen's Dividend History.
How will Amgen's stock buyback program work?
Amgen declared that its Board of Directors has approved a share repurchase plan on Friday, February 2nd 2018, which permits the company to repurchase $10,000,000,000.00 in outstanding shares, according to EventVestor. This repurchase authorization permits the company to buy shares of its stock through open market purchases. Stock repurchase plans are generally a sign that the company's board of directors believes its shares are undervalued.
How were Amgen's earnings last quarter?
Amgen (NASDAQ:AMGN) posted its quarterly earnings results on Thursday, February, 1st. The medical research company reported $2.89 earnings per share (EPS) for the quarter, missing the Thomson Reuters' consensus estimate of $3.03 by $0.14. The medical research company had revenue of $5.80 billion for the quarter, compared to analyst estimates of $5.84 billion. Amgen had a return on equity of 30.87% and a net margin of 8.66%. The firm's quarterly revenue was down 2.7% on a year-over-year basis. During the same period in the previous year, the company earned $2.89 earnings per share. View Amgen's Earnings History.
When is Amgen's next earnings date?
What guidance has Amgen issued on next quarter's earnings?
Amgen issued an update on its FY18 earnings guidance on Thursday, February, 1st. The company provided earnings per share (EPS) guidance of $12.60-13.70 for the period, compared to the Thomson Reuters consensus EPS estimate of $12.71. The company issued revenue guidance of $21.8-22.8 billion, compared to the consensus revenue estimate of $22.86 billion.
What price target have analysts set for AMGN?
23 brokerages have issued 1-year price targets for Amgen's stock. Their forecasts range from $161.00 to $220.00. On average, they anticipate Amgen's share price to reach $190.8505 in the next twelve months. View Analyst Ratings for Amgen.
What are Wall Street analysts saying about Amgen stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Amgen stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Amgen’s newer drugs – Prolia, Xgeva, Kyprolis – are performing well. Amgen is also progressing with its pipeline and expects approval and launch of migraine candidate, Aimovig this year. Amgen’s restructuring plan is making it leaner and more cost efficient. Lower taxes and share buybacks should provide some bottom-line support in 2018. Amgen’s shares have outperformed the industry this year so far. However, Amgen has some challenges in store, given slowdown in sales of mature drugs like Enbrel, Aranesp and Neulasta, which are facing an array of branded and generic competitors. Volume growth of new drugs may not be enough to offset the lost sales due to the decline in mature brands. Meanwhile, uptake of key new drug, Repatha has been slow due to payer restrictions. However, estimates have gone up ahead of the Q1 earnings release. Amgen has a positive record of earnings surprises in recent quarters." (4/17/2018)
- 2. JPMorgan Chase analysts commented, "AMGN’s top-line continues to be uninspiring, but the bottom line will meaningfully benefit from a lower than expected tax rate (surprise, surprise) and a large, accelerated $10B share buyback. There are several moving pieces to consider heading into 2018 (which are apparent in management’s uncharacteristically wide guidance range), including timing/magnitude of legacy franchise erosion (e.g., Neulasta & Sensipar), trajectory of recent/upcoming launches (e.g., Kyprolis, Repatha, Aimovig), and the extent to which AMGN chooses to exercise its upsized share repurchase authorization (now ~$14B in total). While we continue to be keenly interested in potential for M&A (which AMGN continues to be constructive on) and the earlier stage pipeline, we maintain our Neutral rating pending evidence of sustainable near-/mid-term growth." (2/4/2018)
- 3. Mizuho analysts commented, "We expect Q4 ’17 trends for both unit demand and net selling price to continue into 2018 – Expect Q1 ’18 sales to be ~ 20% of full year 2018 sales Neulasta US = 969 / 950 / 949 Neulasta Ex-US = 145 / 151 / 152 Neulasta WW = 1114/ 1103 / 1100 Neupogen US = 82 / 87 / 87 PLEASE REFER TO PAGE 5 OF THIS REPORT FOR IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE AND ANALYST CERTIFICATION INFORMATION. Mizuho Securities USA LLC does and seeks to do business with companies covered in its research reports. As a result, investors should be aware that the Firm may have a conflict of interest that could affect the objectivity of this report. Investors should consider this report as only a single factor in making their investment decision." (2/1/2018)
- 4. Cann analysts commented, "Amgen yesterday announced that the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) published positive results from the six-month phase III STRIVE study evaluating Aimovig (erenumab) versus placebo for the prevention of episodic migraine (between four and 14 migraine days per month). The NEJM article reported that Aimovig delivered clinically meaningful and statistically significant differences from placebo for all primary and secondary endpoints in the study." (11/30/2017)
- 5. Argus analysts commented, "We would consider a more constructive stance on AMGN on signs of stronger contributions from the company's new drug pipeline or from its biosimilars portfolio," the firm said."We note, however, that Amgen may not generate commercial revenue from biosimilars until 2019 due to regulatory and legal hurdles." (11/1/2017)
Are investors shorting Amgen?
Amgen saw a drop in short interest during the month of March. As of March 29th, there was short interest totalling 9,494,182 shares, a drop of 51.8% from the March 15th total of 19,687,115 shares. Based on an average trading volume of 5,053,446 shares, the days-to-cover ratio is currently 1.9 days. Currently, 1.3% of the shares of the stock are sold short.
Who are some of Amgen's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Amgen include Gilead Sciences (GILD), Biogen (BIIB), Novozymes (NVZMY), bluebird bio (BLUE), Seattle Genetics (SGEN), AveXis (AVXS), Neurocrine Biosciences (NBIX), Bio-Techne (TECH), Spark Therapeutics (ONCE), China Biologic Products (CBPO), arGEN-X BV (ARGX), Halozyme Therapeutics (HALO), CRISPR Therapeutics (CRSP), Aerie Pharmaceuticals (AERI), Denali Therapeutics (DNLI), Acceleron Pharma (XLRN), Repligen (RGEN) and Sangamo Therapeutics (SGMO).
Who are Amgen's key executives?
Amgen's management team includes the folowing people:
- Mr. Robert A. Bradway, Chairman, CEO & Pres (Age 55)
- Mr. David W. Meline, Exec. VP, CFO and Principal Financial & Accounting Officer (Age 61)
- Mr. Jonathan P. Graham, Sr. VP, Gen. Counsel & Sec. (Age 57)
- Dr. Sean E. Harper, Exec. VP of R&D (Age 55)
- Mr. Anthony C. Hooper, Exec. VP of Global Commercial Operations (Age 63)
Has Amgen been receiving favorable news coverage?
Press coverage about AMGN stock has trended somewhat negative recently, Accern reports. Accern scores the sentiment of media coverage by monitoring more than twenty million blog and news sources in real-time. Accern ranks coverage of publicly-traded companies on a scale of negative one to one, with scores nearest to one being the most favorable. Amgen earned a media sentiment score of -0.03 on Accern's scale. They also assigned news stories about the medical research company an impact score of 44.99 out of 100, indicating that recent media coverage is somewhat unlikely to have an effect on the stock's share price in the immediate future.
How do I buy shares of Amgen?
Shares of AMGN can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages with access to the U.S. stock market include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is Amgen's stock price today?
One share of AMGN stock can currently be purchased for approximately $171.4625.
How big of a company is Amgen?
Amgen has a market capitalization of $117.02 billion and generates $22.85 billion in revenue each year. The medical research company earns $1.98 billion in net income (profit) each year or $12.58 on an earnings per share basis. Amgen employs 20,800 workers across the globe.
How can I contact Amgen?
Amgen's mailing address is ONE AMGEN CENTER DRIVE, THOUSAND OAKS CA, 91320. The medical research company can be reached via phone at 805-447-1000 or via email at [email protected]
MarketBeat Community Rating for Amgen (AMGN)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about Amgen and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe AMGN will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe AMGN will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.
Amgen (NASDAQ:AMGN) Price Target and Consensus Rating (How are Consensus Ratings Calculated?)
MarketBeat calculates consensus analyst ratings for stocks using the most recent rating from each Wall Street analyst that has rated a stock within the last twelve months. Each analyst's rating is normalized to a standardized rating score of 1 (sell), 2 (hold), 3 (buy) or 4 (strong buy). Analyst consensus ratings scores are calculated using the mean average of the number of normalized sell, hold, buy and strong buy ratings from Wall Street analysts. Each stock's consensus analyst rating is derived from its calculated consensus ratings score (0-1.5 = Sell, 1.5-2.5 = Hold, 2.5-3.5 = Buy, >3.5 = Strong Buy). MarketBeat's consensus price targets are a mean average of the most recent available price targets set by each analyst that has set a price target for the stock in the last twelve months. MarketBeat's consensus ratings and consensus price targets may differ from those calculated by other firms due to differences in methodology and available data.
23 Wall Street analysts have issued ratings and price targets for Amgen in the last 12 months. Their average twelve-month price target is $190.8505, suggesting that the stock has a possible upside of 11.28%. The high price target for AMGN is $220.00 and the low price target for AMGN is $161.00. There are currently 13 hold ratings and 10 buy ratings for the stock, resulting in a consensus rating of "Hold."
|Today||30 Days Ago||90 Days Ago||180 Days Ago|
|Consensus Rating: ||Hold||Hold||Hold||Buy|
|Consensus Rating Score: ||2.43||2.43||2.43||2.52|
|Ratings Breakdown: ||0 Sell Rating(s)|
13 Hold Rating(s)
10 Buy Rating(s)
0 Strong Buy Rating(s)
|0 Sell Rating(s)|
13 Hold Rating(s)
10 Buy Rating(s)
0 Strong Buy Rating(s)
|0 Sell Rating(s)|
12 Hold Rating(s)
9 Buy Rating(s)
0 Strong Buy Rating(s)
|0 Sell Rating(s)|
11 Hold Rating(s)
9 Buy Rating(s)
1 Strong Buy Rating(s)
|Consensus Price Target: ||$190.8505||$191.3505||$190.00||$190.4737|
|Price Target Upside: ||11.28% upside||10.31% upside||5.64% upside||4.11% upside|
Amgen (NASDAQ:AMGN) Consensus Price Target History
Amgen (NASDAQ:AMGN) Analyst Ratings History
(Data available from 4/20/2016 forward)
Amgen (NASDAQ:AMGN) Dividend Information
Amgen pays an annual dividend of $5.28 per share, with a dividend yield of 3.08%. AMGN's next quarterly dividend payment will be made on Friday, June 8. The company has grown its dividend for the last 7 consecutive years and is increasing its dividend by an average of 23.50% each year. Amgen pays out 41.97% of its earnings out as a dividend.
|Dividend Growth:||23.50% (3 Year Average)|
|Payout Ratio:||41.97% (Trailing 12 Months of Earnings) |
39.76% (Based on This Year's Estimates)
38.12% (Based on Next Year's Estimates)
|Track Record:||7 Years of Consecutive Dividend Growth|
Amgen (NASDAQ:AMGN) Dividend History by Quarter
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Announced||Period||Amount||Yield||Ex-Dividend Date||Record Date||Payable Date|
Amgen (NASDAQ AMGN) Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History
Insider Ownership Percentage: 0.19%
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 79.54%
Amgen (NASDAQ AMGN) Insider Trading History
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Shares Held After Transaction||Details|
|4/12/2018||Sean E. Harper||EVP||Sell||1,525||$172.68||$263,337.00|| |
|3/16/2018||Sean E. Harper||EVP||Sell||1,525||$189.75||$289,368.75|| |
|2/14/2018||Sean E. Harper||EVP||Sell||1,525||$174.18||$265,624.50|| |
|1/16/2018||Sean E. Harper||EVP||Sell||1,525||$185.62||$283,070.50|| |
|12/12/2017||Sean E Harper||EVP||Sell||1,525||$176.83||$269,665.75||56,106|| |
|11/13/2017||Sean E Harper||EVP||Sell||1,525||$171.58||$261,659.50||57,631|| |
|11/8/2017||Carbonnel Francois De||Director||Sell||4,000||$173.61||$694,440.00|| |
|10/9/2017||Sean E Harper||EVP||Sell||1,525||$185.95||$283,573.75|| |
|5/24/2017||Cynthia M Patton||SVP||Sell||2,922||$154.40||$451,156.80||24,214|| |
|8/2/2016||Annette Louise Such||VP||Sell||3,000||$174.59||$523,770.00|| |
|5/4/2016||Madhavan Balachandran||EVP||Sell||30,000||$154.12||$4,623,600.00||23,097|| |
|4/29/2016||David Baltimore||Director||Sell||3,312||$157.21||$520,679.52||32,350|| |
|4/29/2016||Sean E Harper||EVP||Sell||21,875||$157.99||$3,456,031.25||42,248|| |
|8/31/2015||Carbonnel Francois De||Director||Sell||5,000||$153.84||$769,200.00||15,150|| |
|8/19/2015||Fred Hassan||Director||Buy||3,010||$166.63||$501,556.30||3,582|| |
|6/2/2015||Cynthia M Patton||SVP||Sell||4,530||$157.06||$711,481.80|| |
|4/23/2015||Stuart A Tross||SVP||Sell||3,012||$169.31||$509,961.72|| |
|4/22/2015||Sean E Harper||EVP||Sell||28,000||$171.58||$4,804,240.00|| |
|3/3/2015||Stuart A Tross||SVP||Sell||4,415||$157.74||$696,422.10|| |
|3/2/2015||David Baltimore||Director||Sell||3,647||$158.76||$578,997.72|| |
|2/11/2015||Robert A Bradway||CEO||Sell||22,000||$152.69||$3,359,180.00|| |
|2/5/2015||Frank C Herringer||Director||Buy||3,000||$152.29||$456,870.00|| |
|12/3/2014||Carbonnel Francois De||Director||Sell||3,000||$168.01||$504,030.00|| |
|8/5/2014||Cynthia M Patton||SVP||Sell||2,644||$127.97||$338,352.68|| |
|8/5/2014||Sean E Harper||EVP||Sell||14,000||$127.29||$1,782,060.00|| |
|5/21/2014||Thomas J.W. Dittrich||CAO||Sell||4,130||$112.83||$465,987.90||18,589|| |
|4/28/2014||A Kelly Michael||CFO||Sell||2,065||$110.45||$228,079.25||41,041|| |
|3/6/2014||Carbonnel Francois De||Director||Sell||1,000||$126.69||$126,690.00||18,343|| |
|9/4/2013||Madhavan Balachandran||EVP||Sell||18,000||$112.76||$2,029,680.00|| |
|8/28/2013||David Baltimore||Director||Sell||4,582||$109.66||$502,462.12||26,879|| |
|5/22/2013||Thomas J.W. Dittrich||CAO||Sell||6,130||$104.78||$642,301.40|| |
|5/21/2013||Madhavan Balachandran||EVP||Sell||6,000||$103.28||$619,680.00|| |
|5/17/2013||Rebecca M Henderson||Director||Sell||8,421||$105.72||$890,268.12|| |
|5/16/2013||Cynthia M Patton||SVP||Sell||3,544||$105.01||$372,155.44|| |
|5/14/2013||Judith C Pelham||Director||Sell||25,000||$108.25||$2,706,250.00|| |
Amgen (NASDAQ AMGN) News Headlines
Amgen (NASDAQ:AMGN) SEC Filings
This page is loading this company's SEC Filings. Please wait...
Amgen (NASDAQ:AMGN) Income Statement, Balance Sheet and Cash Flow Statement
Amgen (NASDAQ AMGN) Stock Chart for Friday, April, 20, 2018