About Viacom (NASDAQ:VIAB)
Viacom Inc. offers global media brands that create television programs, motion pictures, short-form content, applications, games, consumer products, social media experiences and other entertainment content. As of September 30, 2016, the Company offered its services for audiences in more than 180 countries. The Company operates through two segments: Media Networks and Filmed Entertainment. The Media Networks segment creates, acquires and distributes programming and other content for audiences The Media Networks segment provides entertainment content and related branded products for advertisers, content distributors and retailers. The Filmed Entertainment segment produces, finances, acquires and distributes motion pictures, television programming and other entertainment content under the Paramount Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Paramount Classics, Paramount Animation, Insurge Pictures, Nickelodeon Movies, MTV Films and Paramount Television brands.
Industry, Sector and Symbol:
- Sector: Consumer Discretionary
- Industry: Entertainment Production
- Sub-Industry: Movies & Entertainment
- Symbol: NASDAQ:VIAB
- CUSIP: 92553P20
- Web: www.viacom.com
- Market Cap: $10.74 billion
- Outstanding Shares: 402,149,000
- 50 Day Moving Avg: $27.10
- 200 Day Moving Avg: $33.51
- 52 Week Range: $23.45 - $46.72
Sales & Book Value:
- Trailing P/E Ratio: 7.35
- Foreward P/E Ratio: 6.78
- P/E Growth: 1.20
- Annual Revenue: $13.17 billion
- Price / Sales: 0.82
- Book Value: $13.44 per share
- Price / Book: 1.99
- Annual Dividend: $0.80
- Dividend Yield: 3.0%
- EBITDA: $2.92 billion
- Net Margins: 11.04%
- Return on Equity: 30.89%
- Return on Assets: 6.39%
- Debt-to-Equity Ratio: 2.03%
- Current Ratio: 1.35%
- Quick Ratio: 1.11%
- Average Volume: 5.58 million shs.
- Beta: 1.57
- Short Ratio: 4.05
Frequently Asked Questions for Viacom (NASDAQ:VIAB)
What is Viacom's stock symbol?
Viacom trades on the NASDAQ under the ticker symbol "VIAB."
How often does Viacom pay dividends? What is the dividend yield for Viacom?
Viacom announced a quarterly dividend on Wednesday, August 2nd. Stockholders of record on Friday, September 15th will be given a dividend of $0.20 per share on Monday, October 2nd. This represents a $0.80 dividend on an annualized basis and a dividend yield of 3.00%. The ex-dividend date of this dividend is Thursday, September 14th. View Viacom's Dividend History.
How were Viacom's earnings last quarter?
Viacom Inc. (NASDAQ:VIAB) announced its earnings results on Thursday, August, 3rd. The company reported $1.17 earnings per share (EPS) for the quarter, beating the Zacks' consensus estimate of $1.05 by $0.12. The business had revenue of $3.36 billion for the quarter, compared to analyst estimates of $3.29 billion. Viacom had a return on equity of 30.89% and a net margin of 11.04%. The business's revenue was up 8.3% compared to the same quarter last year. During the same quarter in the prior year, the firm posted $1.05 earnings per share. View Viacom's Earnings History.
When will Viacom make its next earnings announcement?
Where is Viacom's stock going? Where will Viacom's stock price be in 2017?
27 brokers have issued 1-year target prices for Viacom's stock. Their predictions range from $24.00 to $56.00. On average, they expect Viacom's stock price to reach $39.38 in the next twelve months. View Analyst Ratings for Viacom.
What are analysts saying about Viacom stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Viacom stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Shares of Viacom have underperformed the industry it belongs to in a year. Morever, declining domestic advertising revenues are hurting the company. The bleak outlook with respect to domestic affiliate revenues in the fiscal fourth quarter also remains a concern. Viacom's high debt levels are also concerning. The company is also liable to be hurt by adverse foreign currency movement as it operates globally. The pessimism surrounding the stocks is evident from the Zacks Consensus Estimate for current quarter being revised 6.4% downward over the last 60 days. However, the company's efforts to expand portfolio and shareholder-friendly moves are impressive. " (10/3/2017)
- 2. Rosenblatt Securities analysts commented, "We are initiating coverage of Viacom (VIA/VIAB) with a NEUTRAL rating and a $45 price target. New CEO Bob Bakish, who successfully ran the international division, has brought new energy and a logical strategic plan to the company, but it will be challenging to execute, particularly starting from a highly-leveraged financial position. VIA appears inexpensive on an earnings multiple basis, but in our view consensus estimates are too high as it will be difficult to sustain margins in the media networks business and it will take substantial time and capital to turn around Paramount. Furthermore, the stock is not inexpensive on an EV/EBITDA basis." (4/5/2017)
- 3. Guggenheim analysts commented, "We see a number of additional incremental value creators--international expansion, targeted advertising, film slate improvements, divestiture of non-core assets, and more efficient spending to name a few--but are particularly focused on the opportunity to drive a stronger revenue yield from the robust programming slate. As the charts below highlight (updated from our original analysis on 6/1/16), Viacom is an industry leader in entertainment programming investment and yet lags non-sports peers in monetization, particularly in unscripted advertising. We see substantial opportunity for traditional and enhanced advertising growth if the company can develop programming that resonates with its target audience. At this point, we still view shares as attractively priced for the success potential presented by this opportunity." (3/22/2017)
- 4. FBR & Co analysts commented, "With this note, we are updating Viacom estimates, after the company’s recent F1Q17 earnings report." (2/14/2017)
- 5. Instinet analysts commented, "This morning, Viacom's President and CEO, Bob Bakish, clearly delivered a five-point strategy to energize and improve Viacom's brand and operations. Of course, Mr. Bakish inherits a tough hand, as Viacom's assets have (in the view of many investors) been mismanaged and underutilized for so long. Moreover, as we've argued for some time, brands like MTV and Comedy Central are subject to greater competition and fragmentation given their emphasis on younger, mobile-first audiences. That said, we are encouraged by management's clearly articulated strategy, a new path that in and of itself should incrementally support the stock's valuation multiple. We increase our CY18 target P/E multiple to 11x, which leads to our new Target Price of $45 (up from $40). However, we maintain our rating and await sustained improvements in ratings and affiliate fee recovery for Viacom's 'flagship 6' networks." (2/10/2017)
Are investors shorting Viacom?
Viacom saw a increase in short interest in the month of September. As of September 15th, there was short interest totalling 25,433,812 shares, an increase of 17.5% from the August 31st total of 21,644,103 shares. Based on an average daily volume of 5,704,874 shares, the short-interest ratio is presently 4.5 days.
Who are some of Viacom's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Viacom include Viacom (VIA), Dolby Laboratories (DLB), World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE), Supergroup PLC (SGP), Entertainment One Ltd (ETO), Eros International PLC (EROS), DHX Media Ltd (DHXM), STV Group Plc. (STVG), Cinedigm Corp (CIDM), Bona Film Group Ltd (BONA), DTS (DTSI), FunctionX (FNCX), Lions Gate Entertainment Corp. (LGF), Pinewood Group PLC (PWS), Rentrak (RENT), Taomee Holdings Ltd (TAOM) and Twenty-First Century Fox (FOXAV).
Who are Viacom's key executives?
Viacom's management team includes the folowing people:
- Thomas J. May, Independent Chairman of the Board
- Robert M. Bakish, President, Chief Executive Officer, Director
- Wade C. Davis, Chief Financial Officer, Executive Vice President
- Scott M Mills, Executive Vice President, Chief Administrative Officer
- Christa D'Alimonte, Executive Vice President, General Counsel, Secretary
- Keyes Hill-Edgar, Executive Vice President - Global Business Affairs
- Doretha F. Lea, Executive Vice President - Global Government Affairs
- Katherine Gill-Charest, Senior Vice President, Chief Accounting Officer, Controller
- Dan Reich, Senior Vice President - Global Multiplatform Products
- Sarah Levy, Chief Operating Officer - Global Entertainment Group
Who owns Viacom stock?
Viacom's stock is owned by a number of of retail and institutional investors. Top institutional shareholders include APG Asset Management N.V. (0.49%), Denali Advisors LLC (0.06%), State Treasurer State of Michigan (0.03%), Quantitative Systematic Strategies LLC (0.02%), Shell Asset Management Co. (0.02%) and PGGM Investments (0.02%). Company insiders that own Viacom stock include Michael D Fricklas and Ronald L Nelson. View Institutional Ownership Trends for Viacom.
Who sold Viacom stock? Who is selling Viacom stock?
Viacom's stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including APG Asset Management N.V., PGGM Investments, Mutual of America Capital Management LLC, Oakbrook Investments LLC and State Treasurer State of Michigan. View Insider Buying and Selling for Viacom.
Who bought Viacom stock? Who is buying Viacom stock?
Viacom's stock was bought by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Denali Advisors LLC, Quantitative Systematic Strategies LLC, Shell Asset Management Co., Trellus Management Company LLC, Assenagon Asset Management S.A., Quotient Investors LLC and Exane Derivatives. View Insider Buying and Selling for Viacom.
How do I buy Viacom stock?
Shares of Viacom can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is Viacom's stock price today?
MarketBeat Community Rating for Viacom (NASDAQ VIAB)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about Viacom and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe the stock will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe the stock will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.
One share of Viacom stock can currently be purchased for approximately $26.70.
Consensus Ratings for Viacom (NASDAQ:VIAB) (How are Consensus Ratings Calculated?)
MarketBeat calculates consensus ratings using the most recent rating from each brokerage that has rated a stock within the last twelve months. Since brokers often use different ratings systems, each rating is normalized to a standardized rating score of 1 (sell), 2 (hold), 3 (buy) or 4 (strong buy). Consensus ratings scores are calculated using the mean average of the number of normalized sell, hold, buy and strong buy ratings. Each stock's consensus rating is derived from its calculated consensus ratings score (0-1.5 = Sell, 1.5-2.5 = Hold, 2.5-3.5 = Buy, >3.5 = Strong Buy). MarketBeat's consensus price targets are a mean average of the most recent available price targets set by each analyst that has set a price target for the stock in the last twelve months.
MarketBeat will no longer include ratings and price target data in its consensus calculation if a broker drops coverage and MarketBeat has received a report that coverage was dropped. Ratings from certain research firms that issue ratings using purely quantitative methods (such as Zacks, Vetr and ValuEngine) are not included in consensus calculations. MarketBeat's consensus ratings and consensus price targets may differ from those calculated by other firms due to differences in methodology and available data.
|Ratings Breakdown: ||6 Sell Ratings, 14 Hold Ratings, 7 Buy Ratings|
|Consensus Rating:||Hold (Score: 2.04)|
|Consensus Price Target: ||$39.38 (47.47% upside)|Consensus Price Target History for Viacom (NASDAQ:VIAB)
Analysts' Ratings History for Viacom (NASDAQ:VIAB)
(Data available from 10/21/2015 forward)
|Date||Firm||Action||Rating||Price Target||Impact on Share Price||Details|
|10/20/2017||Barclays PLC||Set Price Target||Hold||$37.00 -> $32.00||N/A|
|10/18/2017||BMO Capital Markets||Reiterated Rating||Hold||$30.00||N/A|
|10/13/2017||Needham & Company LLC||Reiterated Rating||Hold||N/A|
|10/13/2017||Morgan Stanley||Lower Price Target||Overweight||$42.00 -> $38.00||N/A|
|10/12/2017||Guggenheim||Downgrade||Buy -> Neutral||$25.00||N/A|
|10/9/2017||Citigroup Inc.||Downgrade||Neutral -> Sell||$33.00 -> $24.00||N/A|
|9/26/2017||Piper Jaffray Companies||Reiterated Rating||Hold||$40.00||Low|
|9/25/2017||Loop Capital||Reiterated Rating||Hold||$36.00 -> $32.00||Low|
|9/19/2017||Cowen and Company||Lower Price Target||$41.00 -> $31.00||Low|
|9/12/2017||Sanford C. Bernstein||Reiterated Rating||Underperform||Low|
|9/5/2017||Wells Fargo & Company||Downgrade||Outperform -> Market Perform||High|
|8/9/2017||Jefferies Group LLC||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$52.00 -> $43.00||Low|
|8/9/2017||Royal Bank Of Canada||Reiterated Rating||Underperform||$35.00 -> $30.00||Low|
|8/4/2017||Atlantic Securities||Downgrade||Neutral -> Underweight||$45.00 -> $30.00||High|
|6/12/2017||J P Morgan Chase & Co||Reiterated Rating||Overweight||$48.00||Low|
|5/19/2017||Barrington Research||Reiterated Rating||Outperform||High|
|5/10/2017||Deutsche Bank AG||Downgrade||Hold -> Sell||High|
|4/23/2017||Pivotal Research||Reiterated Rating||Hold||$40.00||Medium|
|4/14/2017||Rosenblatt Securities||Reiterated Rating||Underweight||N/A|
|4/10/2017||FBR & Co||Boost Price Target||Mkt Perform -> Mkt Perform||$45.00 -> $48.00||Low|
|2/16/2017||Instinet||Reiterated Rating||Neutral||$40.00 -> $45.00||N/A|
|2/10/2017||Bank of America Corporation||Boost Price Target||Buy||$44.00 -> $52.00||N/A|
|2/9/2017||Drexel Hamilton||Upgrade||Hold -> Buy||N/A|
|2/6/2017||Wedbush||Boost Price Target||Neutral||$39.00 -> $41.00||N/A|
|12/13/2016||Brean Capital||Reiterated Rating||Hold||$40.00||N/A|
|11/10/2016||Telsey Advisory Group||Lower Price Target||Market Perform||$47.00 -> $42.00||N/A|
|10/5/2016||Credit Suisse Group||Reiterated Rating||Outperform||$42.00||N/A|
|9/22/2016||Macquarie||Lower Price Target||Neutral||$44.00 -> $35.00||N/A|
|9/19/2016||Stifel Nicolaus||Downgrade||Buy -> Hold||$49.00 -> $38.00||N/A|
|8/5/2016||Pacific Crest||Reiterated Rating||Hold||N/A|
|6/21/2016||Moffett Nathanson||Reiterated Rating||Neutral||$47.00||N/A|
|6/16/2016||BTIG Research||Upgrade||Neutral -> Buy||$55.00||N/A|
|4/28/2016||Topeka Capital Markets||Boost Price Target||Hold||$40.00 -> $41.00||N/A|
|4/4/2016||Hanson||Downgrade||Buy -> Neutral||N/A|
|2/11/2016||Societe Generale||Lower Price Target||Buy||$55.00 -> $51.00||N/A|
|2/10/2016||Goldman Sachs Group Inc||Lower Price Target||$47.00 -> $37.00||N/A|
Earnings History for Viacom (NASDAQ:VIAB)Earnings History by Quarter for Viacom (NASDAQ VIAB)
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|8/3/2017||Q3 2017||$1.05||$1.17||$3.29 billion||$3.36 billion||View||Listen|
|5/4/2017||Q2 2017||$0.59||$0.79||$3.03 billion||$3.26 billion||View||Listen|
|2/9/2017||Q117||$0.84||$1.04||$3.18 billion||$3.32 billion||View||Listen|
|11/9/2016||Q416||$0.65||$0.69||$3.31 billion||$3.23 billion||View||Listen|
|8/4/2016||Q316||$1.01||$1.05||$3.01 billion||$3.11 billion||View||Listen|
|4/28/2016||Q216||$0.72||$0.76||$2.98 billion||$3.00 billion||View||Listen|
|2/9/2016||Q116||$1.19||$1.18||$3.26 billion||$3.15 billion||View||Listen|
|11/12/2015||Q415||$1.55||$1.54||$3.89 billion||$3.79 billion||View||Listen|
|8/6/2015||Q315||$1.47||$1.47||$3.25 billion||$3.05 billion||View||N/A|
|4/30/2015||Q215||$1.08||$1.16||$3.26 billion||$3.08 billion||View||N/A|
|1/29/2015||Q115||$1.33||$1.29||$3.46 billion||$3.34 billion||View||N/A|
|11/13/2014||Q4||$1.68||$1.71||$3.90 billion||$3.99 billion||View||Listen|
|8/6/2014||Q314||$1.44||$1.42||$3.56 billion||$3.42 billion||View||Listen|
|5/1/2014||Q214||$1.05||$1.08||$3.20 billion||$3.17 billion||View||Listen|
|1/30/2014||Q114||$1.16||$1.20||$3.31 billion||$3.20 billion||View||Listen|
|11/14/2013||Q413||$1.45||$1.55||$3.60 billion||$3.65 billion||View||Listen|
|8/2/2013||Q3 2013||$1.29||$1.29||$3.58 billion||$3.69 billion||View||N/A|
|5/1/2013||Q2 2013||$0.95||$0.96||$3.20 billion||$3.14 billion||View||N/A|
|1/31/2013||Q1 2013||$0.90||$0.91||$3.48 billion||$3.31 billion||View||N/A|
|11/15/2012||Q412||$1.17||$1.21||$3.44 billion||$3.36 billion||View||N/A|
Earnings Estimates for Viacom (NASDAQ:VIAB)
2017 EPS Consensus Estimate: $3.50
2018 EPS Consensus Estimate: $3.88
(Data provided by Zacks Investment Research)
|Quarter||Number of Estimates||Low Estimate||High Estimate||Average Estimate|
Current Dividend Information for Viacom (NASDAQ:VIAB)
|Most Recent Dividend:||10/2/2017|
|Payout Ratio:||21.98% (Trailing 12 Months of Earnings) |
20.78% (Based on This Year's Estimates)
20.30% (Based on Next Year's Estimates)
Dividend History by Quarter for Viacom (NASDAQ VIAB)
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Announced||Period||Amount||Yield||Ex-Dividend Date||Record Date||Payable Date|
Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History for Viacom (NASDAQ:VIAB)
Insider Ownership Percentage: 0.36%Insider Trades by Quarter for Viacom (NASDAQ:VIAB)
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 79.17%
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Details|
|12/14/2016||Ronald L Nelson||Director||Buy||20,000||$34.80||$696,000.00|| |
|6/20/2016||Michael D Fricklas||EVP||Sell||10,800||$45.29||$489,132.00|| |
Headline Trends for Viacom (NASDAQ:VIAB)
Latest Headlines for Viacom (NASDAQ:VIAB)
Loading headlines, please wait.
Viacom (VIAB) Chart for Saturday, October, 21, 2017