About Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE:BABA)
Alibaba Group Holding Limited is a holding company. Through its subsidiaries, the Company is engaged in online and mobile commerce through offering of products, services and technology that enable merchants, brands and other businesses to transform the way they market, sell and operate in the People's Republic of China (China) and internationally. Its businesses consist of core commerce, cloud computing, mobile media and entertainment, and other innovation initiatives. Through investee affiliates, it also participates in the logistics and local services sectors. Retail commerce in China operated by the Company includes the China online commerce destination (Taobao Marketplace); the China third-party platform for brands and retailers (Tmall), and the sales and marketing platform for flash sales (Juhuasuan). Wholesale commerce in China operated by the Company includes the China domestic wholesale marketplace (1688.com) and the wholesale marketplace for global trade (Alibaba.com).
Industry, Sector and Symbol:
- Sector: Retail/Wholesale
- Industry: E-commerce & Auction Services
- Sub-Industry: N/A
- Symbol: NYSE:BABA
- CUSIP: N/A
- Web: www.alibabagroup.com
- Market Cap: $449.02156 billion
- Outstanding Shares: 2,543,000,000
- 50 Day Moving Avg: $175.72
- 200 Day Moving Avg: $146.22
- 52 Week Range: $86.01 - $184.70
Sales & Book Value:
- Trailing P/E Ratio: 59.61
- Foreward P/E Ratio: 32.78
- P/E Growth: 48.06
- Annual Revenue: $26.99 billion
- Price / Sales: 16.92
- Book Value: $17.98 per share
- Price / Book: 9.99
- EBITDA: $11.17 billion
- Net Margins: 28.77%
- Return on Equity: 16.85%
- Return on Assets: 10.63%
- Debt-to-Equity Ratio: 0.22%
- Current Ratio: 1.74%
- Quick Ratio: 1.74%
- Average Volume: 17.81 million shs.
- Beta: 2.6
- Short Ratio: 9.89
Frequently Asked Questions for Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE:BABA)
What is Alibaba Group Holding Limited's stock symbol?
Alibaba Group Holding Limited trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "BABA."
How will Alibaba Group Holding Limited's stock buyback program work?
Alibaba Group Holding Limited declared that its Board of Directors has initiated a share buyback program on Monday, September 25th 2017, which authorizes the company to repurchase $6,000,000,000.00 in shares, according to EventVestor. This repurchase authorization authorizes the company to purchase shares of its stock through open market purchases. Shares repurchase programs are often an indication that the company's management believes its stock is undervalued.
How were Alibaba Group Holding Limited's earnings last quarter?
Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE:BABA) issued its earnings results on Thursday, August, 17th. The company reported $0.94 earnings per share for the quarter, topping analysts' consensus estimates of $0.73 by $0.21. The company earned $7.40 billion during the quarter, compared to the consensus estimate of $7.16 billion. Alibaba Group Holding Limited had a return on equity of 16.85% and a net margin of 28.77%. During the same quarter last year, the company posted $0.74 earnings per share. View Alibaba Group Holding Limited's Earnings History.
When will Alibaba Group Holding Limited make its next earnings announcement?
Where is Alibaba Group Holding Limited's stock going? Where will Alibaba Group Holding Limited's stock price be in 2017?
33 brokers have issued 1-year target prices for Alibaba Group Holding Limited's stock. Their predictions range from $100.00 to $245.00. On average, they expect Alibaba Group Holding Limited's share price to reach $178.06 in the next year. View Analyst Ratings for Alibaba Group Holding Limited.
What are analysts saying about Alibaba Group Holding Limited stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Alibaba Group Holding Limited stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Alibaba Group is a Chinese e-Commerce giant which caters mainly to its native market. The company’s fiscal first-quarter results exceeded the Zacks Consensus Estimate on revenues and earnings. Also, on a year to date basis, the stock has outperformed the industry it belongs to. Alibaba’s strong core e-commerce business, its continued efforts to develop new products, international growth opportunities, strong financial positionand and growing cloud computing services are positives. However, macro headwinds, continued investments and increasing competition from Tencent Holdings and Baidu remain the overhangs." (10/17/2017)
- 2. Jefferies Group LLC analysts commented, "FY3Q17 results beat consensus and our estimates on both top and bottom line on strong China commerce, Cloud and consolidation of Youku/tudou. Mobile penetration and monetisation witnessed continuing improvement; Cloud delivered strong growth. Fine tune earnings and PT to USD122 from USD119. Reiterate Buy." (1/25/2017)
- 3. Deutsche Bank AG analysts commented, "Alibaba reported a strong Dec Q with total rev growth of 54% yoy, beating DBe by 7%. Non-GAAP EBITDA margin of 50.7% was 4ppts higher than DBe. The company attributed strong results to solid user growth (mobile MAU reached 493m, +25% yoy), consumer usage and merchant spend. Online marketing services again expanded robustly, by 47%, mainly driven by paid click growth. Commission revenue reaccelerated to 32% yoy, reflecting Tmall GMV growth recovery. Core e-commerce margin saw continued expansion to 64%, despite investment in globalization, FMCG & rural Taobao. The company lifted FY17 full year guide from 48% to 53%. The new guide should be easy to achieve given BABA's strong momentum. Alibaba's 'New Retail' strategy meanwhile seeks to integrate more offline retailers (e.g. Intime) with integrated inventory, membership and services to serve both users and merchants more efficiently. Monetization should thus increase long term." (1/24/2017)
- 4. Robert W. Baird analysts commented, "BABA reported strong F3Q17 results above expectations, driven by a reacceleration in core commerce (+45% Y/Y) and to a lesser extent Cloud services (+115% Y/Y) and Digital Media/Entertainment. Profit margins were in line with our expectations, as profitability in the core business (64% EBITDA margin) helps fund expansion in emerging growth areas. We continue to believe Alibaba is a key beneficiary of positive secular trends in e-commerce and gravitational platform pull. Maintain Outperform rating, new $116 price target." (1/24/2017)
Are investors shorting Alibaba Group Holding Limited?
Alibaba Group Holding Limited saw a drop in short interest in September. As of September 29th, there was short interest totalling 134,311,866 shares, a drop of 3.9% from the September 15th total of 139,799,450 shares. Based on an average daily trading volume, of 18,492,972 shares, the short-interest ratio is currently 7.3 days. Approximately 5.3% of the company's stock are sold short.
Who are some of Alibaba Group Holding Limited's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Alibaba Group Holding Limited include JD.com (JD), eBay (EBAY), MercadoLibre (MELI), Shopify (SHOP), The Trade Desk (TTD), Boohoo.Com PLC (BOO), Overstock.com (OSTK), AO World PLC (AO), Jumei International Holding Limited (JMEI), Mysale Group PLC (MYSL), Points International (PCOM), eve Sleep plc (EVE), CafePress (PRSS), Borderfree (BRDR), Cnova NV (CNV), E Commerce China Dangdang (DANG) and Geeknet (GKNT).
Who are Alibaba Group Holding Limited's key executives?
Alibaba Group Holding Limited's management team includes the folowing people:
- Yun Ma, Executive Chairman, Lead Founder
- J. Michael Evans, President, Director
- Yong Zhang, Chief Executive Officer
- Zhaoxi Lu, Vice Chairman of the Board
- Wei Wu, Chief Financial Officer
- Xiaoming Hu, President, Alibaba Cloud Computing
- Minzhi Wu, President, Wholesale Marketplaces
- Yongfu Yu, President, Mobile Internet and Alimama
- Jeff Jianfeng Zhang, Chief Technology Officer
- Pen-hung Tung, Chief Marketing Officer
Who owns Alibaba Group Holding Limited stock?
Who sold Alibaba Group Holding Limited stock? Who is selling Alibaba Group Holding Limited stock?
How do I buy Alibaba Group Holding Limited stock?
Shares of Alibaba Group Holding Limited can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is Alibaba Group Holding Limited's stock price today?
MarketBeat Community Rating for Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE BABA)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about Alibaba Group Holding Limited and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe the stock will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe the stock will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.
One share of Alibaba Group Holding Limited stock can currently be purchased for approximately $179.61.
Consensus Ratings for Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE:BABA) (How are Consensus Ratings Calculated?)
MarketBeat calculates consensus ratings using the most recent rating from each brokerage that has rated a stock within the last twelve months. Since brokers often use different ratings systems, each rating is normalized to a standardized rating score of 1 (sell), 2 (hold), 3 (buy) or 4 (strong buy). Consensus ratings scores are calculated using the mean average of the number of normalized sell, hold, buy and strong buy ratings. Each stock's consensus rating is derived from its calculated consensus ratings score (0-1.5 = Sell, 1.5-2.5 = Hold, 2.5-3.5 = Buy, >3.5 = Strong Buy). MarketBeat's consensus price targets are a mean average of the most recent available price targets set by each analyst that has set a price target for the stock in the last twelve months.
MarketBeat will no longer include ratings and price target data in its consensus calculation if a broker drops coverage and MarketBeat has received a report that coverage was dropped. Ratings from certain research firms that issue ratings using purely quantitative methods (such as Zacks, Vetr and ValuEngine) are not included in consensus calculations. MarketBeat's consensus ratings and consensus price targets may differ from those calculated by other firms due to differences in methodology and available data.
|Ratings Breakdown: ||1 Sell Rating, 1 Hold Rating, 30 Buy Ratings, 1 Strong Buy Rating|
|Consensus Rating:||Buy (Score: 2.94)|
|Consensus Price Target: ||$178.06 (0.86% downside)|Consensus Price Target History for Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE:BABA)
Analysts' Ratings History for Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE:BABA)
(Data available from 10/19/2015 forward)
|Date||Firm||Action||Rating||Price Target||Impact on Share Price||Details|
|10/16/2017||Bank of America Corporation||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$200.00||N/A|
|10/16/2017||Royal Bank Of Canada||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$185.00||N/A|
|10/10/2017||HSBC Holdings plc||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$184.00 -> $204.00||N/A|
|10/5/2017||Raymond James Financial, Inc.||Reiterated Rating||Strong-Buy||N/A|
|10/3/2017||Credit Suisse Group||Reiterated Rating||Outperform -> Outperform||$220.00||Medium|
|10/2/2017||MKM Partners||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$220.00||Medium|
|10/1/2017||Stifel Nicolaus||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$190.00||Low|
|9/26/2017||Wells Fargo & Company||Initiated Coverage||Outperform -> Outperform||$225.00||Medium|
|9/22/2017||Cantor Fitzgerald||Initiated Coverage||Overweight||$213.00||Low|
|9/21/2017||Jefferies Group LLC||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$160.00||Low|
|9/7/2017||Deutsche Bank AG||Lower Price Target||Buy||$199.00||Low|
|9/6/2017||J P Morgan Chase & Co||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$200.00||Medium|
|9/3/2017||Oppenheimer Holdings, Inc.||Boost Price Target||Outperform||$200.00||Low|
|8/23/2017||SunTrust Banks, Inc.||Boost Price Target||Buy||$175.00 -> $200.00||N/A|
|8/22/2017||Atlantic Securities||Upgrade||Neutral -> Overweight||$130.00 -> $215.00||Medium|
|8/21/2017||Barclays PLC||Set Price Target||Overweight||$180.00 -> $200.00||Low|
|8/20/2017||Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (The)||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$200.00 -> $208.00||Low|
|8/18/2017||Needham & Company LLC||Boost Price Target||Buy||$155.00 -> $190.00||Low|
|8/18/2017||Robert W. Baird||Boost Price Target||Outperform||$170.00 -> $190.00||Low|
|8/18/2017||KeyCorp||Set Price Target||Overweight||$160.00 -> $182.00||Medium|
|6/19/2017||Pacific Crest||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$137.00||Low|
|6/12/2017||Benchmark Co.||Boost Price Target||Buy -> Buy||$140.00 -> $175.00||Low|
|5/24/2017||Sanford C. Bernstein||Boost Price Target||Outperform||$130.00 -> $135.00||Low|
|5/23/2017||CIBC||Boost Price Target||Outperform||$130.00 -> $140.00||Low|
|4/20/2017||Standpoint Research||Downgrade||Buy -> Reduce||Low|
|3/21/2017||New Street Research||Upgrade||Neutral -> Buy||$95.00 -> $122.00||Medium|
|2/27/2017||Morgan Stanley||Reiterated Rating||Overweight||$140.00||N/A|
|1/25/2017||Wedbush||Boost Price Target||Neutral||$90.00 -> $100.00||N/A|
|1/25/2017||Brean Capital||Boost Price Target||$120.00||N/A|
|1/24/2017||Evercore ISI||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$125.00||N/A|
|10/27/2016||Citigroup Inc.||Boost Price Target||Buy||$112.00 -> $133.00||N/A|
|10/17/2016||Nomura||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$95.00 -> $129.00||N/A|
|9/28/2016||Daiwa Capital Markets||Boost Price Target||Buy||$110.00 -> $125.00||N/A|
|8/9/2016||T.H. Capital||Boost Price Target||Buy||$84.00 -> $97.00||N/A|
|1/30/2016||Summit Research||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$92.00||N/A|
|10/27/2015||Axiom Securities||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$85.00 -> $92.00||N/A|
|10/23/2015||TH Capital||Upgrade||Hold -> Buy||N/A|
Earnings History for Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE:BABA)Earnings History by Quarter for Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE BABA)
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|8/17/2017||6/30/2017||$0.73||$0.94||$7.16 billion||$7.40 billion||View||N/A|
|5/18/2017||3/31/2017||$0.64||$0.63||$5.26 billion||$5.61 billion||View||N/A|
|1/24/2017||Q317||$1.13||$1.09||$7.32 billion||$7.70 billion||View||N/A|
|11/2/2016||Q217||$0.69||$0.63||$5.03 billion||$5.14 billion||View||N/A|
|10/27/2015||Q216||$0.32||$0.38||$21.36 billion||$3.49 billion||View||Listen|
|8/12/2015||Q116||$0.58||$0.34||$3.43 billion||$3.27 billion||View||Listen|
|5/7/2015||Q415||$0.28||$0.20||$2.78 billion||$2.81 billion||View||Listen|
|1/29/2015||Q315||$0.62||$0.55||$4.45 billion||$4.22 billion||View||Listen|
|11/4/2014||Q215||$0.37||$0.25||$2.54 billion||$2.74 billion||View||N/A|
Earnings Estimates for Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE:BABA)
Current Year EPS Consensus Estimate: $3.99 EPS
Next Year EPS Consensus Estimate: $5.48 EPS
Dividend History for Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE:BABA)
No dividend announcements for this company have been tracked by MarketBeat.com
Insider Trading History for Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE:BABA)
No insider trades for this company have been tracked by MarketBeat.com
Headline Trends for Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE:BABA)
Latest Headlines for Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE:BABA)
Alibaba Group Holding Limited (BABA) Chart for Thursday, October, 19, 2017