About Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ)
Johnson & Johnson is a holding company, which is engaged in the research and development, manufacture and sale of a range of products in the healthcare field. It operates through three segments: Consumer, Pharmaceutical and Medical Devices. Its primary focus is products related to human health and well-being. The Consumer segment includes a range of products used in the baby care, oral care, skin care, over-the-counter pharmaceutical, women's health and wound care markets. The Pharmaceutical segment is focused on five therapeutic areas, including immunology, infectious diseases, neuroscience, oncology, and cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. The Medical Devices segment includes a range of products used in the orthopedic, surgery, cardiovascular, diabetes care and vision care fields. Its research facilities are located in the United States, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Israel, Japan, the Netherlands, Singapore, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
Industry, Sector and Symbol
Trailing P/E Ratio19.69
Forward P/E Ratio19.39
Sales & Book Value
Annual Sales$71.89 billion
Price / Sales5.27
Cash Flow$8.31 per share
Price / Cash16.99
Book Value$25.88 per share
Price / Book5.45
Net Income$16.54 billion
Return on Equity27.38%
Return on Assets13.20%
Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ) Frequently Asked Questions
What is Johnson & Johnson's stock symbol?
Johnson & Johnson trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "JNJ."
How often does Johnson & Johnson pay dividends? What is the dividend yield for Johnson & Johnson?
Johnson & Johnson declared a quarterly dividend on Thursday, October 19th. Stockholders of record on Tuesday, November 28th will be paid a dividend of $0.84 per share on Tuesday, December 12th. This represents a $3.36 annualized dividend and a dividend yield of 2.38%. The ex-dividend date is Monday, November 27th. View Johnson & Johnson's Dividend History.
How were Johnson & Johnson's earnings last quarter?
Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ) issued its quarterly earnings data on Tuesday, October, 17th. The company reported $1.90 earnings per share for the quarter, beating analysts' consensus estimates of $1.80 by $0.10. The firm had revenue of $19.65 billion for the quarter, compared to analysts' expectations of $19.29 billion. Johnson & Johnson had a net margin of 21.28% and a return on equity of 27.38%. The company's revenue was up 10.3% on a year-over-year basis. During the same quarter in the previous year, the business earned $1.68 EPS. View Johnson & Johnson's Earnings History.
When will Johnson & Johnson make its next earnings announcement?
What guidance has Johnson & Johnson issued on next quarter's earnings?
Johnson & Johnson issued an update on its FY17 earnings guidance on Tuesday, October, 17th. The company provided EPS guidance of $7.25-7.30 for the period, compared to the Thomson Reuters consensus estimate of $7.18. The company issued revenue guidance of $76.1-76.5 billion, compared to the consensus revenue estimate of $75.84 billion.
Where is Johnson & Johnson's stock going? Where will Johnson & Johnson's stock price be in 2017?
18 Wall Street analysts have issued twelve-month price targets for Johnson & Johnson's stock. Their predictions range from $110.00 to $165.00. On average, they anticipate Johnson & Johnson's stock price to reach $144.59 in the next twelve months. View Analyst Ratings for Johnson & Johnson.
What are Wall Street analysts saying about Johnson & Johnson stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Johnson & Johnson stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Sales in J&J’s domestic Pharma segment have decelerated this year as a number of key growth drivers like Remicade and Concerta are facing competition. However, J&J is optimistic that sales growth will accelerate in 2H. We believe that new drugs like Xarelto, Stelara, Darzalex, and Imbruvica remain the key to growth. Meanwhile, share buybacks and restructuring initiatives should provide bottom-line support. J&J is also making rapid progress with its pipeline and line extensions. However, J&J’s shares have underperformed the industry this year so far. Headwinds like negative currency movement, generics, pricing pressure and soft global market conditions remain. Sluggish growth in the Consumer segment is also a concern. Meanwhile, HCV sales continue to decline amid intense competition. Estimates have remained mostly stable ahead of the Q3 results. J&J has a positive record of earnings surprises in recent quarters." (10/4/2017)
- 2. BTIG Research analysts commented, "Yesterday, we attended JNJ’s Pharma day held in New Brunswick, NJ. The overarching theme of the day was the expectation that the Pharma business outgrows the IMS projected ~5% 5-year CAGR for branded drugs. Our model is significantly below such expectations, as we have reported growth of ~6.5% during 2017 falling to ~3.6% in 2018 and essentially flat through 2020. Our numbers may prove conservative given that we do not currently include new drug launches of esketamine, guselkumab and sirukumab. We remain Neutral, as we think that the Oncology landscape is becoming more complicated and the Immunology portfolio may underperform internal expectations as a new class of oral drugs comes to market." (5/21/2017)
- 3. UBS AG analysts commented, "After making appropriate adjustments for year-over-year shipping day differences, JNJ's Q4 sales were up an impressive 9.5% in the U.S., and up 7.6% CC WW. Initial 2017 outlook calls for sales of $74.1-74.8 bil (up 4-5% CC) and EPS of $6.93-7.08 (including the AMO deal). As previewed, the guided range reflects greater impact from FX, and by our estimation a degree of conservatism. Given the continued strong growth of key Pharma franchises, management's potential to drive stable to improving margins, the ~$2.5 bil remaining repurchase authorization and other factors, we see flex and potential upside to management's initial 2017 outlook. We reiterate our Buy rating on top large-cap diversified pick JNJ, trimming our target from $142 to $141 due primarily to the ~$4.3 bil cash outlay for AMO, expected to close in 1Q17." (1/25/2017)
- 4. Jefferies Group LLC analysts commented, "With biosimilars and generics expected to drag the next few years, we expect JNJ will continue look to M&A to augment growth. Whilst this should ultimately drive better growth, we believe that investors will not reward the shares for this initially." (1/5/2017)
Who are some of Johnson & Johnson's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Johnson & Johnson include Pfizer (PFE), Novartis (NVS), Merck & Co., Inc. (MRK), Amgen (AMGN), Sanofi (SNY), Novo Nordisk A/S (NVO), Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY), Eli Lilly and (LLY), Abbott Laboratories (ABT), GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), Celgene (CELG), AstraZeneca (AZN), GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), AstraZeneca (AZN), Shire (SHPG), Beximco Pharmaceuticals (BXP), Shire (SHP) and Teva Pharmaceutical Industries (TEVA).
Who are Johnson & Johnson's key executives?
Johnson & Johnson's management team includes the folowing people:
- Alex Gorsky, Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer (Age 56)
- Dominic J. Caruso, Chief Financial Officer, Executive Vice President (Age 59)
- Peter M. Fasolo Ph.D., Chief Human Resource Officer, Executive Vice President (Age 54)
- Paulus A. Stoffels, Executive Vice President, Chief Scientific Officer (Age 55)
- Michael H. Ullmann, Executive Vice President, General Counsel (Age 58)
- Joaquin Duato, Executive Vice President, Worldwide Chairman - Pharmaceuticals (Age 54)
- Jorge S. Mesquita, Executive Vice President, Worldwide Chairman - Consumer (Age 55)
- Sandra E. Peterson, Executive Vice President - Group Worldwide Chairman (Age 58)
- Joseph Wolk, Vice President - Investor Relations
- Anne M. Mulcahy, Lead Independent Director (Age 64)
Who owns Johnson & Johnson stock?
Johnson & Johnson's stock is owned by a number of of retail and institutional investors. Top institutional shareholders include Bank of New York Mellon Corp (1.36%), Ameriprise Financial Inc. (0.65%), Legal & General Group Plc (0.54%), Schwab Charles Investment Management Inc. (0.45%), Fisher Asset Management LLC (0.44%) and Swiss National Bank (401,574.66%). Company insiders that own Johnson & Johnson stock include Charles Prince, Dominic J Caruso, Gary J Pruden, Paulus Stoffels, Peter Fasolo and Ronald A Kapusta. View Institutional Ownership Trends for Johnson & Johnson.
Who sold Johnson & Johnson stock? Who is selling Johnson & Johnson stock?
Johnson & Johnson's stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Barrow Hanley Mewhinney & Strauss LLC, Boston Partners, Prudential Financial Inc., American Century Companies Inc., Macquarie Group Ltd., Schroder Investment Management Group, State of Tennessee Treasury Department and Artisan Partners Limited Partnership. Company insiders that have sold Johnson & Johnson company stock in the last year include Dominic J Caruso and Paulus Stoffels. View Insider Buying and Selling for Johnson & Johnson.
Who bought Johnson & Johnson stock? Who is buying Johnson & Johnson stock?
Johnson & Johnson's stock was acquired by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Stifel Financial Corp, APG Asset Management N.V., Assenagon Asset Management S.A., Sanders Capital LLC, Janus Henderson Group PLC, Capital International Investors, Schwab Charles Investment Management Inc. and Caisse DE Depot ET Placement DU Quebec. View Insider Buying and Selling for Johnson & Johnson.
How do I buy Johnson & Johnson stock?
Shares of Johnson & Johnson can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages with access to the U.S. stock market include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is Johnson & Johnson's stock price today?
One share of Johnson & Johnson stock can currently be purchased for approximately $141.14.
How big of a company is Johnson & Johnson?
Johnson & Johnson has a market capitalization of $377.70 billion and generates $71.89 billion in revenue each year. The company earns $16.54 billion in net income (profit) each year or $5.76 on an earnings per share basis. Johnson & Johnson employs 126,400 workers across the globe.
How can I contact Johnson & Johnson?
Johnson & Johnson's mailing address is ONE JOHNSON & JOHNSON PLZ, NEW BRUNSWICK NJ, 08933. The company can be reached via phone at 732-524-0400.
MarketBeat Community Rating for Johnson & Johnson (JNJ)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about Johnson & Johnson and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe the stock will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe the stock will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.
Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ) Analysts' Consensus Rating (How are Consensus Ratings Calculated?)
MarketBeat calculates consensus analyst ratings for company stocks using the most recent rating from each brokerage that has rated a stock within the last twelve months. Since brokers often use different ratings systems, each rating is normalized to a standardized rating score of 1 (sell), 2 (hold), 3 (buy) or 4 (strong buy). Analyst consensus ratings scores are calculated using the mean average of the number of normalized sell, hold, buy and strong buy ratings from Wall Street analysts. Each stock's consensus analyst rating is derived from its calculated consensus ratings score (0-1.5 = Sell, 1.5-2.5 = Hold, 2.5-3.5 = Buy, >3.5 = Strong Buy). MarketBeat's consensus price targets are a mean average of the most recent available price targets set by each analyst that has set a price target for the stock in the last twelve months.
MarketBeat will no longer include ratings and price target data in its consensus calculation if a broker drops coverage and MarketBeat has received a report that coverage was dropped. Ratings from certain research firms that issue ratings using purely quantitative methods (such as Zacks, Vetr and ValuEngine) are not included in consensus calculations. MarketBeat's consensus ratings and consensus price targets may differ from those calculated by other firms due to differences in methodology and available data.
|Today||30 Days Ago||90 Days Ago||180 Days Ago|
|Consensus Rating: ||Hold||Hold||Hold||Hold|
|Consensus Rating Score: ||2.33||2.30||2.27||2.32|
|Ratings Breakdown: ||4 Sell Rating(s)|
6 Hold Rating(s)
11 Buy Rating(s)
0 Strong Buy Rating(s)
|5 Sell Rating(s)|
6 Hold Rating(s)
12 Buy Rating(s)
0 Strong Buy Rating(s)
|4 Sell Rating(s)|
8 Hold Rating(s)
10 Buy Rating(s)
0 Strong Buy Rating(s)
|1 Sell Rating(s)|
13 Hold Rating(s)
8 Buy Rating(s)
0 Strong Buy Rating(s)
|Consensus Price Target: ||$142.10||$138.91||$130.05||$124.04|
|Price Target Upside: ||0.21% downside||2.45% downside||0.75% downside||6.77% downside|
Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ) Consensus Price Target History
Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ) Analyst Ratings History
(Data available from 12/12/2015 forward)
Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ) Earnings History and Estimates Chart
Johnson & Johnson (NYSE JNJ) Earnings History by Quarter
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|10/17/2017||Q3 2017||$1.80||$1.90||$19.29 billion||$19.65 billion||View||N/A|
|7/18/2017||Q2 2017||$1.79||$1.83||$18.94 billion||$18.84 billion||View||N/A|
|4/18/2017||Q1 17||$1.77||$1.83||$18.02 billion||$17.77 billion||View||N/A|
|1/24/2017||Q416||$1.56||$1.58||$18.28 billion||$18.10 billion||View||N/A|
|10/18/2016||Q316||$1.65||$1.68||$17.71 billion||$17.80 billion||View||Listen|
|7/19/2016||Q216||$1.68||$1.74||$17.98 billion||$18.50 billion||View||Listen|
|4/19/2016||Q116||$1.65||$1.68||$17.50 billion||$17.50 billion||View||Listen|
|1/26/2016||Q415||$1.42||$1.44||$17.88 billion||$17.80 billion||View||Listen|
|10/13/2015||Q315||$1.45||$1.49||$17.47 billion||$17.10 billion||View||Listen|
|7/14/2015||Q215||$1.69||$1.71||$17.76 billion||$17.80 billion||View||Listen|
|4/14/2015||Q115||$1.54||$1.56||$17.31 billion||$17.37 billion||View||Listen|
|1/20/2015||Q414||$1.25||$1.27||$18.59 billion||$18.30 billion||View||Listen|
|10/14/2014||Q314||$1.42||$1.50||$18.41 billion||$18.50 billion||View||Listen|
|7/15/2014||Q214||$1.54||$1.66||$18.86 billion||$19.50 billion||View||N/A|
|4/15/2014||Q114||$1.48||$1.54||$18.00 billion||$18.10 billion||View||N/A|
|1/21/2014||Q413||$1.20||$1.24||$17.95 billion||$18.40 billion||View||N/A|
|10/15/2013||Q313||$1.32||$1.36||$17.46 billion||$17.60 billion||View||N/A|
|7/16/2013||Q2 2013||$1.39||$1.48||$17.71 billion||$17.90 billion||View||N/A|
|4/16/2013||Q1 2013||$1.41||$1.44||$17.46 billion||$17.50 billion||View||N/A|
|1/22/2013||Q4 2012||$1.17||$1.19||$17.67 billion||$17.60 billion||View||N/A|
Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ) Earnings Estimates
2017 EPS Consensus Estimate: $7.08
2018 EPS Consensus Estimate: $7.99
(Data provided by Zacks Investment Research)
|Quarter||Number of Estimates||Low Estimate||High Estimate||Average Estimate|
Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ) Dividend Information
|Dividend Growth:||6.70% (3 Year Average)|
|Payout Ratio:||58.33% (Trailing 12 Months of Earnings) |
46.15% (Based on This Year's Estimates)
42.80% (Based on Next Year's Estimates)
|Track Record:||54 Years of Consecutive Dividend Growth|
Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ) Dividend History by Quarter
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Announced||Period||Amount||Yield||Ex-Dividend Date||Record Date||Payable Date|
Johnson & Johnson (NYSE JNJ) Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History
Insider Ownership Percentage: 0.19%
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 65.89%
Johnson & Johnson (NYSE JNJ) Insider Trades by Quarter
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Details|
|7/24/2017||Paulus Stoffels||VP||Sell||102,692||$133.14||$13,672,412.88|| |
|7/20/2017||Dominic J Caruso||VP||Sell||82,591||$136.72||$11,291,841.52|| |
|2/15/2017||Paulus Stoffels||VP||Sell||22,000||$117.29||$2,580,380.00|| |
|10/21/2016||Charles Prince||Director||Buy||875||$114.11||$99,846.25|| |
|7/26/2016||Dominic J Caruso||VP||Sell||41,146||$125.01||$5,143,661.46|| |
|7/22/2016||Ronald A Kapusta||CAO||Sell||2,935||$125.01||$366,904.35|| |
|6/7/2016||Gary J Pruden||VP||Sell||9,735||$116.03||$1,129,552.05|| |
|6/7/2016||Ronald A Kapusta||CAO||Sell||3,000||$115.79||$347,370.00|| |
|5/10/2016||Ronald A Kapusta||CAO||Sell||3,957||$114.77||$454,144.89|| |
|2/17/2016||Paulus Stoffels||insider||Sell||125,000||$102.43||$12,803,750.00|| |
|2/3/2016||Peter Fasolo||VP||Sell||151,385||$104.12||$15,762,206.20|| |
|10/23/2015||Ronald A. Kapusta||CAO||Sell||6,239||$99.68||$621,903.52|| |
|6/2/2015||Charles Prince||Director||Buy||2,500||$99.22||$248,050.00|| |
|4/28/2015||Paulus Stoffels||Insider||Sell||187,250||$100.73||$18,861,692.50|| |
|9/10/2014||James Cullen||Director||Sell||2,446||$104.12||$254,677.52|| |
|5/5/2014||Stephen Cosgrove||Insider||Sell||22,000||$100.05||$2,201,100.00|| |
|3/14/2014||Peter Fasolo||VP||Sell||6,824||$93.15||$635,655.60|| |
|8/14/2013||Stephen Cosgrove||Insider||Sell||17,200||$91.39||$1,571,908.00|| |
|8/5/2013||Michael Ullmann||VP||Sell||16,140||$93.68||$1,511,995.20|| |
|7/25/2013||Paulus Stoffels||Insider||Sell||45,440||$92.40||$4,198,656.00|| |
|7/18/2013||Dominic J Caruso||CFO||Sell||30,000||$90.31||$2,709,300.00|| |
|11/12/2012||James Cullen||Director||Sell||13,900||$69.70||$968,830.00|| |
Johnson & Johnson (NYSE JNJ) News Headlines
Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ) SEC Filings
Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ) Income Statement, Balance Sheet and Cash Flow Statement
Johnson & Johnson (NYSE JNJ) Stock Chart for Tuesday, December, 12, 2017