Altria Group, Inc. is a holding company. The Company's segments include smokeable products, smokeless products and wine. The Company's subsidiaries include Philip Morris USA Inc. (PM USA), which is engaged in the manufacture and sale of cigarettes in the United States; John Middleton Co. (Middleton), which is engaged in the manufacture and sale of machine-made cigars and pipe tobacco, and UST LLC (UST), which, through its subsidiaries, including U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company LLC (USSTC) and Ste. Michelle Wine Estates Ltd. (Ste. Michelle), is engaged in the manufacture and sale of smokeless tobacco products and wine. Its other operating companies include Nu Mark LLC (Nu Mark), a subsidiary that is engaged in the manufacture and sale of tobacco products, and Philip Morris Capital Corporation (PMCC), a subsidiary that maintains a portfolio of finance assets. Other subsidiaries include Altria Group Distribution Company and Altria Client Services LLC.
Industry, Sector and Symbol:
- Sector: Consumer Staples
- Industry: Cigars & Cigarette Manufacturing
- Sub-Industry: Tobacco
- Symbol: NYSE:MO
- CUSIP: 02209S10
- Web: www.altria.com
- Market Cap: $147.75152 billion
- Outstanding Shares: 1,939,000,000
- 50 Day Moving Avg: $73.32
- 200 Day Moving Avg: $71.73
- 52 Week Range: $60.82 - $77.79
Sales & Book Value:
- Trailing P/E Ratio: 10.36
- Foreward P/E Ratio: 21.50
- P/E Growth: 2.96
- Annual Revenue: $19.4 billion
- Price / Sales: 7.65
- Book Value: $6.32 per share
- Price / Book: 12.11
- Annual Dividend: $2.44
- Dividend Yield: 3.2%
- EBIDTA: $9.66 billion
- Net Margins: 55.99%
- Return on Equity: 76.43%
- Return on Assets: 15.22%
- Debt-to-Equity Ratio: 1.13%
- Current Ratio: 0.92%
- Quick Ratio: 0.66%
- Average Volume: 6.16 million shs.
- Beta: 0.66
- Short Ratio: 1.46
Frequently Asked Questions for Altria Group (NYSE:MO)
What is Altria Group's stock symbol?
Altria Group trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "MO."
How often does Altria Group pay dividends? What is the dividend yield for Altria Group?
Altria Group declared a quarterly dividend on Thursday, May 18th. Stockholders of record on Thursday, June 15th will be paid a dividend of $0.61 per share on Monday, July 10th. This represents a $2.44 dividend on an annualized basis and a dividend yield of 3.19%. The ex-dividend date is Tuesday, June 13th. View Altria Group's Dividend History.
How were Altria Group's earnings last quarter?
Altria Group (NYSE:MO) issued its quarterly earnings data on Tuesday, May, 2nd. The company reported $0.73 earnings per share for the quarter, missing the Zacks' consensus estimate of $0.74 by $0.01. The business had revenue of $4.59 billion for the quarter, compared to analysts' expectations of $4.63 billion. Altria Group had a return on equity of 76.43% and a net margin of 55.99%. The business's quarterly revenue was up 1.3% on a year-over-year basis. During the same quarter in the prior year, the firm posted $0.72 EPS. View Altria Group's Earnings History.
When will Altria Group make its next earnings announcement?
What guidance has Altria Group issued on next quarter's earnings?
Altria Group issued an update on its FY17 earnings guidance on Tuesday, May, 2nd. The company provided EPS guidance of $3.26-3.32 for the period, compared to the Thomson Reuters consensus EPS estimate of $3.29.
Where is Altria Group's stock going? Where will Altria Group's stock price be in 2017?
12 equities research analysts have issued 1 year price objectives for Altria Group's shares. Their predictions range from $62.00 to $79.00. On average, they anticipate Altria Group's stock price to reach $71.92 in the next year. View Analyst Ratings for Altria Group.
What are analysts saying about Altria Group stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Altria Group stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Shares of Altria that have underperformed the Zacks categorized Tobacco industry on a year-to-date basis, may slid further as the company reported weaker-than-expected results in the first quarter of 2017. The company’s sales missed the Zacks Consensus Estimate for the second straight quarter. Further, it has been witnessing declining demand for cigarettes due to the ongoing anti-tobacco campaigns and price rise to offset the rising taxes. Moreover, consumers are opting for e-cigarettes or substitutes for cigarettes, in turn affecting cigarette volume. We noted that estimate for 2017 has witnessed downward revision in the past 30 days. However, we are impressed with the company’s strong brand portfolio, shift to low risk, smokeless tobacco products and strong pricing. We believe, the recent takeover of SABMiller by Anheuser-Busch InBev's has helped Altria to maximize the value of its SABMiller investment." (5/23/2017)
- 2. Royal Bank Of Canada analysts commented, "We are downgrading Altria to Underperform, as we see approximately 14% downside from current levels. We point out that shares are trading nearly in-line with Reynolds American on P/E and EV/EBITDA, despite RAI's pending acquisition by British American Tobacco. Looking forward over the next 18-24 months, we see a very low probability that Altria is acquired by PM International (which we see as the only likely acquirer)." (3/23/2017)
- 3. Jefferies Group LLC analysts commented, "We see a FY17 EPS of USD 3.29 (guidance USD 3.26-3.32; cons USD 3.30). While assumed growth of 8.8% is within the company long term growth algorithm (7%-9%), with risk of Marlboro share loss (in our view), ABI potentially not as supportive as expected, and the valuation currently inflated (pricing in potential tax benefits and/or a PMI bid), we see risk of de-rating. We increase our PT to USD 71 to reflect long term support from the Nat Sherman acquisition. Updating estimates: Our FY17 EPS estimate assumes growth of 8.8% which is the same as previously. While we now see greater operational performance (EBIT growth of 5.9% vs. 4.2%) due to greater assumed pricing and the Nat Sherman contribution, this is offset by a greater tax rate (at 36% vs. 35.4%) as guided by the company. We increase our PT by c3% to reflect long term share gains from the acquired Nat Sherman brand." (2/17/2017)
Who are some of Altria Group's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Altria Group include Nestle SA (NSRGY), Procter & Gamble Company (The) (PG), Coca-Cola Company (The) (KO), Philip Morris International (PM), Pepsico (PEP), LVMH-Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton SA (LVMUY), LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton SE (LVMUY), L'Oreal SA (LRLCY), The Kraft Heinz Company (KHC), Unilever NV (UN), Reynolds American (RAI), Ambev S.A. (ABEV), Diageo PLC (DEO), Reckitt Benckiser Group PLC (RBGLY), Unilever PLC (UL), Mondelez International (MDLZ), Colgate-Palmolive Company (CL) and Heineken NV (HEINY).
Who are Altria Group's key executives?
Altria Group's management team includes the folowing people:
- Martin J. Barrington, Chairman of the Board, President, Chief Executive Officer
- William F. Gifford Jr., Chief Financial Officer, Executive Vice President
- Clifford B. Fleet, President and Chief Executive Officer, Philip Morris USA Inc.
- Craig A. Johnson, President and Chief Executive Officer of Altria Group Distribution Company
- Brian W. Quigley, President & Chief Executive Officer of U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company LLC
- Howard A. Willard III, Chief Operating Officer, Executive Vice President
- Denise F. Keane, Executive Vice President, General Counsel
- Charles N. Whitaker, Senior Vice President - Human Resources, Compliance & Information Services, Chief Compliance Officer
- Salvatore Mancuso, Senior Vice President - Strategy, Planning and Accounting
- Ivan S. Feldman, Vice President, Controller
Who owns Altria Group stock?
Altria Group's stock is owned by a variety of of retail and institutional investors. Top institutional shareholders include Vanguard Group Inc. (6.87%), BlackRock Inc. (6.11%), State Street Corp (3.85%), Morgan Stanley (1.30%), Bank of New York Mellon Corp (1.14%) and Janus Capital Management LLC (1.12%). Company insiders that own Altria Group stock include Brian W Quigley, Charles N Whitaker, Dinyar S Devitre, George Munoz, James E Dillard III, Martin J Barrington and Nabil Y Sakkab. View Institutional Ownership Trends for Altria Group.
Who sold Altria Group stock? Who is selling Altria Group stock?
Altria Group's stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including FMR LLC, Vontobel Asset Management Inc., APG Asset Management N.V., Janus Capital Management LLC, Alliancebernstein L.P., Credit Agricole S A, Barrow Hanley Mewhinney & Strauss LLC and Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken AB publ. Company insiders that have sold Altria Group stock in the last year include Charles N Whitaker, Dinyar S Devitre, George Munoz, James E Dillard III and Martin J Barrington. View Insider Buying and Selling for Altria Group.
Who bought Altria Group stock? Who is buying Altria Group stock?
Altria Group's stock was bought by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including BlackRock Inc., Morgan Stanley, Vanguard Group Inc., Renaissance Technologies LLC, Swiss National Bank, Karp Capital Management Corp, Los Angeles Capital Management & Equity Research Inc. and Geode Capital Management LLC. View Insider Buying and Selling for Altria Group.
How do I buy Altria Group stock?
Shares of Altria Group can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is Altria Group's stock price today?
MarketBeat Community Rating for Altria Group (NYSE MO)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about Altria Group and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe the stock will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe the stock will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.
One share of Altria Group stock can currently be purchased for approximately $76.53.
Consensus Ratings for Altria Group (NYSE:MO) (How are Consensus Ratings Calculated?)
MarketBeat calculates consensus ratings using the most recent rating from each brokerage that has rated a stock within the last twelve months. Since brokers often use different ratings systems, each rating is normalized to a standardized rating score of 1 (sell), 2 (hold), 3 (buy) or 4 (strong buy). Consensus ratings scores are calculated using the mean average of the number of normalized sell, hold, buy and strong buy ratings. Each stock's consensus rating is derived from its calculated consensus ratings score (0-1.5 = Sell, 1.5-2.5 = Hold, 2.5-3.5 = Buy, >3.5 = Strong Buy). MarketBeat's consensus price targets are a mean average of the most recent available price targets set by each analyst that has set a price target for the stock in the last twelve months.
MarketBeat will no longer include ratings and price target data in its consensus calculation if a broker drops coverage and MarketBeat has received a report that coverage was dropped. Ratings from certain research firms that issue ratings using purely quantitative methods (such as Zacks, Vetr and ValuEngine) are not included in consensus calculations. MarketBeat's consensus ratings and consensus price targets may differ from those calculated by other firms due to differences in methodology and available data.
|Ratings Breakdown: ||1 Sell Rating, 5 Hold Ratings, 6 Buy Ratings|
|Consensus Rating:||Hold (Score: 2.42)|
|Consensus Price Target: ||$71.92 (6.03% downside)|
Analysts' Ratings History for Altria Group (NYSE:MO)
(Data available from 6/27/2015 forward)
|Date||Firm||Action||Rating||Price Target||Impact on Share Price||Details|
|5/26/2017||Royal Bank Of Canada||Reiterated Rating||Sell||$62.00||N/A|
|5/24/2017||Piper Jaffray Companies||Initiated Coverage||Overweight||$76.00||Medium|
|3/29/2017||Barclays PLC||Reiterated Rating||Equal Weight||$74.00||Medium|
|3/24/2017||Jefferies Group LLC||Reiterated Rating||Hold||$71.00||Low|
|2/3/2017||Argus||Boost Price Target||Hold -> Buy||$73.00 -> $79.00||N/A|
|2/3/2017||Berenberg Bank||Downgrade||Buy -> Hold||$76.00||N/A|
|1/4/2017||Bank of America Corporation||Upgrade||Neutral -> Buy||$70.00 -> $75.00||N/A|
|12/21/2016||Wells Fargo & Company||Reiterated Rating||Outperform||$74.00||N/A|
|11/29/2016||Morgan Stanley||Reiterated Rating||Equal -> Equal Weight||$65.00||N/A|
|10/15/2016||Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (The)||Reiterated Rating||Neutral||$69.00 -> $68.00||N/A|
|9/26/2016||Citigroup Inc.||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$72.00||N/A|
|6/27/2016||Stifel Nicolaus||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$65.00 -> $71.00||N/A|
|3/29/2016||Cowen and Company||Boost Price Target||Market Perform||$65.00 -> $67.00||N/A|
|11/2/2015||Nomura||Boost Price Target||Buy||$64.00 -> $65.00||N/A|
Earnings History for Altria Group (NYSE:MO)Earnings History by Quarter for Altria Group (NYSE MO)
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|7/25/2017|| || || || || || || || |
|5/2/2017||Q1 2017||$0.74||$0.73||$4.63 billion||$4.59 billion||View||Listen|
|2/1/2017||Q416||$0.67||$0.68||$4.80 billion||$5.45 billion||View||Listen|
|10/27/2016||Q316||$0.81||$0.82||$5.11 billion||$6.90 billion||View||Listen|
|7/27/2016||Q216||$0.80||$0.81||$5.01 billion||$6.52 billion||View||Listen|
|4/28/2016||Q116||$0.68||$0.72||$4.41 billion||$3.92 billion||View||Listen|
|1/28/2016||Q415||$0.68||$0.67||$4.73 billion||$6.32 billion||View||Listen|
|10/29/2015||Q315||$0.75||$0.75||$4.89 billion||$4.36 billion||View||Listen|
|7/29/2015||Q215||$0.71||$0.74||$4.74 billion||$6.61 billion||View||Listen|
|4/23/2015||Q115||$0.62||$0.63||$4.11 billion||$5.80 billion||View||Listen|
|1/30/2015||Q414||$0.67||$0.66||$4.50 billion||$6.26 billion||View||Listen|
|10/30/2014||Q314||$0.68||$0.69||$4.73 billion||$6.49 billion||View||Listen|
|7/22/2014||Q214||$0.66||$0.65||$4.60 billion||$6.26 billion||View||Listen|
|4/24/2014||Q114||$0.57||$0.57||$4.03 billion||$5.52 billion||View||Listen|
|1/30/2014||Q413||$0.58||$0.57||$4.48 billion||$6.08 billion||View||Listen|
|10/24/2013||Q313||$0.64||$0.66||$4.53 billion||$6.50 billion||View||Listen|
|7/23/2013||Q2 2013||$0.63||$0.62||$4.62 billion||$4.53 billion||View||Listen|
|4/25/2013||Q1 2013||$0.53||$0.69||$4.04 billion||$5.53 billion||View||Listen|
|1/31/2013||Q4 2012||$0.55||$0.55||$4.33 billion||$4.46 billion||View||Listen|
|10/25/2012||Q312||$0.58||$0.58||$5.50 billion||$5.61 billion||View||N/A|
Earnings Estimates for Altria Group (NYSE:MO)
Current Year EPS Consensus Estimate: $3.28 EPS
Next Year EPS Consensus Estimate: $3.56 EPS
Current Dividend Information for Altria Group (NYSE:MO)
|Dividend Growth:||8.60% (3 Year Average)|
|Payout Ratio:||33.02% (Trailing 12 Months of Earnings) |
74.39% (Based on This Year's Estimates)
68.54% (Based on Next Year's Estimates)
|Track Record:||8 Years of Consecutive Dividend Growth|
Dividend History by Quarter for Altria Group (NYSE MO)
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Announced||Period||Amount||Yield||Ex-Dividend Date||Record Date||Payable Date|
Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History for Altria Group (NYSE:MO)
Insider Ownership Percentage: 0.15%Insider Trades by Quarter for Altria Group (NYSE:MO)
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 62.05%
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Details|
|5/23/2017||George Munoz||Director||Sell||5,000||$72.35||$361,750.00|| |
|5/8/2017||Dinyar S Devitre||Director||Sell||4,285||$70.72||$303,035.20|| |
|10/31/2016||Martin J Barrington||CEO||Sell||15,960||$65.85||$1,050,966.00|| |
|8/4/2016||Charles N. Whitaker||SVP||Sell||11,000||$66.53||$731,830.00|| |
|8/3/2016||James E. Dillard III||SVP||Sell||9,000||$66.68||$600,120.00|| |
|5/20/2016||Nabil Y Sakkab||Director||Buy||4,000||$63.20||$252,800.00|| |
|5/9/2016||Brian W Quigley||CEO||Sell||3,000||$63.66||$190,980.00|| |
|11/13/2015||Nabil Y Sakkab||Director||Buy||4,532||$56.44||$255,786.08|| |
|3/12/2015||Denise F Keane||EVP||Sell||25,000||$52.11||$1,302,750.00|| |
|11/17/2014||Clifford B Fleet||CEO of Philip Morris USA||Sell||5,000||$49.04||$245,200.00|| |
|11/17/2014||John R Nelson||EVP||Sell||1,640||$49.06||$80,458.40|| |
|5/15/2014||W Hildebrandt Surgner, Jr.||Insider||Sell||1,950||$40.07||$78,136.50|| |
|11/20/2013||Denise Keane||EVP||Sell||40,729||$37.57||$1,530,188.53|| |
|5/22/2013||Dinyar S Devitre||Director||Buy||26,700||$37.04||$988,968.00|| |
|5/13/2013||Brian W Quigley||CEO||Sell||1,235||$36.94||$45,620.90|| |
Headline Trends for Altria Group (NYSE:MO)
Latest Headlines for Altria Group (NYSE:MO)
Altria Group (MO) Chart for Tuesday, June, 27, 2017