About Vail Resorts (NYSE:MTN)
Vail Resorts, Inc. is a holding company. The Company operates through three segments: Mountain, Lodging and Real Estate. Its Mountain segment operates over 10 mountain resort properties and approximately three urban ski areas, as well as ancillary services, primarily including, ski school, dining, and retail/rental operations. It operates mountain resorts and urban ski areas, such as Whistler Blackcomb in British Columbia, Canada. In the Lodging segment, it owns and/or manages a collection of luxury hotels and condominiums under its RockResorts brand, as well as other lodging properties and various condominiums; National Park Service (NPS) concessionaire properties, including the Grand Teton Lodge Company (GTLC), which operates destination resorts in Grand Teton National Park; Colorado Mountain Express (CME), and mountain resort golf courses. Its Real Estate segment owns, develops and sells real estate in and around its resort communities.
Industry, Sector and Symbol:
- Sector: Consumer Discretionary
- Industry: Adventure Sports Facilities & Ski Resorts
- Sub-Industry: Leisure Facilities
- Symbol: NYSE:MTN
- CUSIP: 91879Q10
- Web: www.vailresorts.com
- Market Cap: $9.16 billion
- Outstanding Shares: 40,081,000
- 50 Day Moving Avg: $224.34
- 200 Day Moving Avg: $210.60
- 52 Week Range: $153.66 - $232.71
Sales & Book Value:
- Trailing P/E Ratio: 43.78
- Foreward P/E Ratio: 31.96
- P/E Growth: 2.03
- Annual Revenue: $1.91 billion
- Price / Sales: 4.80
- Book Value: $39.20 per share
- Price / Book: 5.83
- Annual Dividend: $4.21
- Dividend Yield: 1.9%
- EBITDA: $589.58 million
- Net Margins: 11.04%
- Return on Equity: 13.46%
- Return on Assets: 5.71%
- Debt-to-Equity Ratio: 0.69%
- Current Ratio: 0.72%
- Quick Ratio: 0.58%
- Average Volume: 281,217 shs.
- Beta: 0.5
- Short Ratio: 1.92
Frequently Asked Questions for Vail Resorts (NYSE:MTN)
What is Vail Resorts' stock symbol?
Vail Resorts trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "MTN."
How often does Vail Resorts pay dividends? What is the dividend yield for Vail Resorts?
Vail Resorts announced a quarterly dividend on Thursday, September 28th. Stockholders of record on Tuesday, October 10th will be given a dividend of $1.053 per share on Friday, October 27th. This represents a $4.21 annualized dividend and a dividend yield of 1.84%. The ex-dividend date of this dividend is Friday, October 6th. View Vail Resorts' Dividend History.
How were Vail Resorts' earnings last quarter?
Vail Resorts, Inc. (NYSE:MTN) posted its quarterly earnings data on Thursday, September, 28th. The company reported ($1.43) earnings per share (EPS) for the quarter, beating analysts' consensus estimates of ($1.81) by $0.38. The firm earned $209.10 million during the quarter, compared to the consensus estimate of $210.92 million. Vail Resorts had a return on equity of 13.46% and a net margin of 11.04%. The firm's revenue was up 16.2% compared to the same quarter last year. During the same period last year, the firm earned ($1.80) earnings per share. View Vail Resorts' Earnings History.
When will Vail Resorts make its next earnings announcement?
Where is Vail Resorts' stock going? Where will Vail Resorts' stock price be in 2017?
8 analysts have issued 12 month target prices for Vail Resorts' stock. Their predictions range from $228.00 to $266.00. On average, they expect Vail Resorts' stock price to reach $245.14 in the next twelve months. View Analyst Ratings for Vail Resorts.
What are analysts saying about Vail Resorts stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Vail Resorts stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Vail Resorts, Inc. is one of the leading resort operators in North America. The company's operations are grouped into two segments, Resort and Real Estate. In the company's Resort segment, they own and operate resort properties which provide a comprehensive resort experience throughout the year to a diverse clientele with an attractive demographic profile. The company's Real Estate segment develops, buys and sells real estate in and around the their resort communities. " (9/29/2017)
- 2. Wells Fargo & Company analysts commented, "We remain buyers of MTN with a $200-$215/share valuation range. We remain positive on the domestic high-end consumer, especially as it relates to the 'experience' economy, and we like Vail's (1) strong cash generation and (2) embedded growth through (i) the integration of new assets such as Whistler, Stowe, Wilmot and Perisher, and (ii) continued season pass growth. We attended the company's recent analyst meeting. We were impressed with management's articulation of its longer term internal and external growth strategy ' especially the importance of (1) its data analytics and (2) the network effect of acquisitions. Management squarely addressed many of the key questions investors have been asking for the past six months. We think the additional, granular detail supports MTN's current valuation ' at 13x 2017E EBITDA and a 4% underlying FCF yield, clearly expectations are high.Path for multi-year earnings growth. MTN management provided more detail than we expected on its internal and external growth strategy. We see a path for multi-year earnings growth and industry outperformance, driven by the following drivers: (1) increased customer data and more sophisticated analytics, (2) increased Epic Pass penetration, (3) continued network effect from (i) recent and (ii) additional acquisitions, (4) continued rollout of Epic Discovery summer and (5) development opportunities, and continued investment in resort amenities." (3/20/2017)
- 3. Janney Montgomery Scott analysts commented, "We recently had the opportunity to attend the MTN investor day. We thought the most important takeaways were further color on potential acquisition targets, data about guest loyalty, updated information on season pass visitation, and the significant and growing gap between MTN and others in the industry. We also continue to believe expectations for Whistler in FY18 are too conservative. We maintain our BUY rating and $220 FV." (3/13/2017)
Who are some of Vail Resorts' key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Vail Resorts include Liberty Global PLC (LBTYK), MGM Resorts International (MGM), TAL Education Group (TAL), Wynn Resorts, Limited (WYNN), New Oriental Education & Technology Group (EDU), Liberty Broadband Corporation (LBRDK), Viacom (VIA), Grupo Televisa SAB (TV), Wynn Macau (WYNMF), Discovery Communications (DISCB), Whirlpool Corporation (WHR), Hasbro (HAS), Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings (NCLH), Melco Crown Entertainment Limited (MLCO), Discovery Communications (DISCA), Coach (COH), Wyndham Worldwide Corp (WYN) and Take-Two Interactive Software (TTWO).
Who are Vail Resorts' key executives?
Vail Resorts' management team includes the folowing people:
- Robert A. Katz, Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer
- Michael Z. Barkin, Chief Financial Officer, Executive Vice President
- Patricia A. Campbell, President — Mountain Division
- Lynanne J. Kunkel, Chief Human Resource Officer
- Kirsten A. Lynch, Executive Vice President, Chief Marketing Officer
- David T. Shapiro, Executive Vice President, General Counsel, Secretary
- Roland A. Hernandez, Lead Independent Director
- Michele Romanow, Director
- Susan L. Decker, Independent Director
- John T. Redmond, Independent Director
Who owns Vail Resorts stock?
Vail Resorts' stock is owned by many different of institutional and retail investors. Top institutional investors include Diamond Hill Capital Management Inc. (0.77%), Sit Investment Associates Inc. (0.03%), Assenagon Asset Management S.A. (0.01%), APG Asset Management N.V. (0.01%), Oakbrook Investments LLC (0.00%) and Robeco Institutional Asset Management B.V. (0.00%). Company insiders that own Vail Resorts stock include John F Sorte, John Redmond, Mark L Schoppet, Michael Z Barkin, Patricia A Campbell, Robert A Katz and Roland A Hernandez. View Institutional Ownership Trends for Vail Resorts.
Who sold Vail Resorts stock? Who is selling Vail Resorts stock?
Vail Resorts' stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Diamond Hill Capital Management Inc., Robeco Institutional Asset Management B.V. and Sit Investment Associates Inc.. Company insiders that have sold Vail Resorts stock in the last year include John F Sorte, John Redmond, Michael Z Barkin, Patricia A Campbell and Robert A Katz. View Insider Buying and Selling for Vail Resorts.
Who bought Vail Resorts stock? Who is buying Vail Resorts stock?
Vail Resorts' stock was purchased by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Assenagon Asset Management S.A., Oakbrook Investments LLC and APG Asset Management N.V.. View Insider Buying and Selling for Vail Resorts.
How do I buy Vail Resorts stock?
Shares of Vail Resorts can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is Vail Resorts' stock price today?
MarketBeat Community Rating for Vail Resorts (NYSE MTN)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about Vail Resorts and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe the stock will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe the stock will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.
One share of Vail Resorts stock can currently be purchased for approximately $228.51.
Consensus Ratings for Vail Resorts (NYSE:MTN) (How are Consensus Ratings Calculated?)
MarketBeat calculates consensus ratings using the most recent rating from each brokerage that has rated a stock within the last twelve months. Since brokers often use different ratings systems, each rating is normalized to a standardized rating score of 1 (sell), 2 (hold), 3 (buy) or 4 (strong buy). Consensus ratings scores are calculated using the mean average of the number of normalized sell, hold, buy and strong buy ratings. Each stock's consensus rating is derived from its calculated consensus ratings score (0-1.5 = Sell, 1.5-2.5 = Hold, 2.5-3.5 = Buy, >3.5 = Strong Buy). MarketBeat's consensus price targets are a mean average of the most recent available price targets set by each analyst that has set a price target for the stock in the last twelve months.
MarketBeat will no longer include ratings and price target data in its consensus calculation if a broker drops coverage and MarketBeat has received a report that coverage was dropped. Ratings from certain research firms that issue ratings using purely quantitative methods (such as Zacks, Vetr and ValuEngine) are not included in consensus calculations. MarketBeat's consensus ratings and consensus price targets may differ from those calculated by other firms due to differences in methodology and available data.
|Ratings Breakdown: ||8 Buy Ratings|
|Consensus Rating:||Buy (Score: 3.00)|
|Consensus Price Target: ||$245.14 (7.28% upside)|Consensus Price Target History for Vail Resorts (NYSE:MTN)
Analysts' Ratings History for Vail Resorts (NYSE:MTN)
(Data available from 10/22/2015 forward)
|Date||Firm||Action||Rating||Price Target||Impact on Share Price||Details|
|10/2/2017||Stifel Nicolaus||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$229.00 -> $232.00||Low|
|10/2/2017||MKM Partners||Reiterated Rating||Buy -> Buy||$264.00 -> $266.00||Low|
|9/29/2017||Janney Montgomery Scott||Reiterated Rating||Buy -> Buy||$245.00 -> $260.00||Medium|
|9/29/2017||Barclays PLC||Boost Price Target||Overweight||$226.00 -> $247.00||High|
|7/21/2017||William Blair||Initiated Coverage||Outperform -> Outperform||Medium|
|6/11/2017||Wells Fargo & Company||Reiterated Rating||Outperform||$207.50 -> $233.00||Low|
|6/9/2017||Bank of America Corporation||Reiterated Rating||Buy -> Buy||$205.00 -> $228.00||High|
|9/12/2016||Credit Suisse Group||Set Price Target||Buy||$153.00||N/A|
|5/16/2016||Sterne Agee CRT||Reiterated Rating||Buy||N/A|
|3/17/2016||Stephens||Boost Price Target||Overweight||$135.00 -> $149.00||N/A|
|3/11/2016||Macquarie||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$133.00 -> $136.00||N/A|
|12/8/2015||JMP Securities||Downgrade||Outperform -> Market Perform||$114.00||N/A|
|12/8/2015||Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (The)||Upgrade||Neutral -> Buy||$108.00 -> $144.00||N/A|
Earnings History for Vail Resorts (NYSE:MTN)Earnings History by Quarter for Vail Resorts (NYSE MTN)
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|9/28/2017||Q4 2017||($1.81)||($1.43)||$210.92 million||$209.10 million||View||N/A|
|6/8/2017||Q3 2017||$4.86||$4.40||$802.59 million||$794.60 million||View||Listen|
|3/10/2017||Q2 2017||$3.45||$3.63||$708.73 million||$725.20 million||View||N/A|
|12/9/2016||Q117||($1.57)||($1.70)||$183.73 million||$178.30 million||View||N/A|
|9/26/2016||Q416||($1.67)||($1.80)||$171.44 million||$179.88 million||View||Listen|
|6/9/2016||Q316||$4.20||$4.23||$652.41 million||$647.47 million||View||N/A|
|3/10/2016||Q216||$3.00||$3.14||$587.33 million||$599.00 million||View||Listen|
|12/7/2015||Q116||($1.75)||($1.63)||$167.81 million||$174.60 million||View||Listen|
|9/28/2015||Q415||($1.96)||($1.69)||$149.84 million||$162.10 million||View||Listen|
|6/8/2015||Q315||$3.80||$3.56||$591.87 million||$579.30 million||View||Listen|
|3/12/2015||Q215||$2.30||$3.10||$533.83 million||$530.24 million||View||Listen|
|12/8/2014||Q115||($2.05)||($2.05)||$133.03 million||$128.26 million||View||Listen|
|9/24/2014||Q414||($1.95)||($2.08)||$128.52 million||$135.49 million||View||Listen|
|6/5/2014||Q314||$2.92||$3.18||$522.03 million||$543.05 million||View||Listen|
|3/12/2014||Q214||$1.87||$1.60||$471.16 million||$452.70 million||View||Listen|
|12/9/2013||Q1||($1.91)||($2.04)||$121.19 million||$123.40 million||View||Listen|
|9/27/2013||Q413||($1.71)||($1.67)||$117.82 million||$112.30 million||View||N/A|
|6/6/2013||Q3 2013||$2.75||$2.66||$474.17 million||$469.70 million||View||N/A|
|3/6/2013||Q2 2013||$1.70||$1.65||$414.13 million||$422.45 million||View||N/A|
|9/25/2012||Q412||($1.56)||($1.50)||$107.18 million||$113.54 million||View||N/A|
Earnings Estimates for Vail Resorts (NYSE:MTN)
2017 EPS Consensus Estimate: $5.12
(Data provided by Zacks Investment Research)
|Quarter||Number of Estimates||Low Estimate||High Estimate||Average Estimate|
Current Dividend Information for Vail Resorts (NYSE:MTN)
|Dividend Growth:||69.90% (3 Year Average)|
|Payout Ratio:||85.92% (Trailing 12 Months of Earnings) |
67.36% (Based on This Year's Estimates)
58.88% (Based on Next Year's Estimates)
|Track Record:||6 Years of Consecutive Dividend Growth|
Dividend History by Quarter for Vail Resorts (NYSE MTN)
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Announced||Period||Amount||Yield||Ex-Dividend Date||Record Date||Payable Date|
Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History for Vail Resorts (NYSE:MTN)
Insider Ownership Percentage: 4.60%Insider Trades by Quarter for Vail Resorts (NYSE:MTN)
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 96.40%
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Details|
|10/19/2017||Patricia A Campbell||Insider||Sell||5,515||$222.41||$1,226,591.15|| |
|10/10/2017||Michael Z Barkin||CFO||Sell||7,953||$216.55||$1,722,222.15|| |
|10/6/2017||John F Sorte||Director||Sell||6,597||$216.74||$1,429,833.78|| |
|10/6/2017||Robert A Katz||Insider||Sell||115,900||$218.73||$25,350,807.00|| |
|10/5/2017||Robert A Katz||Chairman||Sell||44,801||$217.44||$9,741,529.44|| |
|10/4/2017||Robert A Katz||Chairman||Sell||55,976||$220.34||$12,333,751.84|| |
|3/17/2017||John F Sorte||Director||Sell||6,082||$186.98||$1,137,212.36|| |
|12/21/2016||John Redmond||Director||Sell||7,500||$161.51||$1,211,325.00|| |
|10/14/2016||Patricia A Campbell||Insider||Sell||4,822||$153.93||$742,250.46|| |
|10/6/2016||Patricia A Campbell||Insider||Sell||291||$157.09||$45,713.19|| |
|9/28/2016||John F Sorte||Director||Sell||4,688||$155.94||$731,046.72|| |
|12/15/2015||Roland A Hernandez||Director||Sell||2,809||$128.02||$359,608.18|| |
|12/11/2015||Mark L. Schoppet||CAO||Sell||10,949||$127.66||$1,397,749.34|| |
|6/15/2015||Blaise Carrig||Insider||Sell||10,078||$105.29||$1,061,112.62|| |
|6/12/2015||Mark L Schoppet||CAO||Sell||13,648||$105.82||$1,444,231.36|| |
|12/17/2014||Mark L Schoppet||CAO||Sell||5,000||$90.50||$452,500.00|| |
|10/8/2014||Blaise Carrig||Insider||Sell||11,201||$83.85||$939,203.85|| |
|6/19/2014||Mark L Schoppet||CAO||Sell||10,000||$75.58||$755,800.00|| |
|3/25/2014||Blaise Carrig||Insider||Sell||12,500||$71.49||$893,625.00|| |
|12/12/2013||Mark Schoppet||CAO||Sell||3,252||$73.67||$239,574.84|| |
|7/1/2013||Fiona Arnold||EVP||Sell||4,881||$62.60||$305,550.60|| |
|6/28/2013||Blaise Carrig||Insider||Sell||10,232||$61.47||$628,961.04|| |
|6/21/2013||Blaise Carrig||Insider||Sell||7,666||$61.28||$469,772.48|| |
|6/21/2013||Roland A Hernandez||Director||Sell||8,529||$61.39||$523,595.31|| |
Headline Trends for Vail Resorts (NYSE:MTN)
Latest Headlines for Vail Resorts (NYSE:MTN)
Loading headlines, please wait.
Vail Resorts (MTN) Chart for Sunday, October, 22, 2017