About Asterias Biotherapeutics (NYSEAMERICAN:AST)
Asterias Biotherapeutics, Inc. is a biotechnology company. The Company is engaged in developing and commercializing therapies in the fields of cell therapy and regenerative medicine. The Company has over two technology platforms. The first is an immunotherapy platform to teach cancer patients' immune systems to attack their tumors. The second is pluripotent stem cell platform. Pluripotent cells are a type of stem cell capable of becoming all of the cell types in the human body. From its immunotherapy platform, the Company is developing over two programs. AST-VAC1 (telomerase loaded, autologous dendritic cells), which allows patient's own cells to recognize and fight cancer cells in acute myelogenous leukemia (AML). Together with Cancer Research United Kingdom (CRUK), it is developing AST-VAC2 (telomerase loaded, -allogeneic dendritic cells), -derived from pluripotent stem cells. From its pluripotent stem cell platform, it is developing AST-OPC1, oligodendrocyte progenitor cells.
Industry, Sector and Symbol
Industry Biotechnology & Medical Research
SymbolNYSEAMERICAN:ASTPrevious Symbol: NYSEMKT:AST
Trailing P/E RatioN/A
Forward P/E RatioN/A
Sales & Book Value
Price / SalesN/A
Price / CashN/A
Price / BookN/A
Return on Equity-86.25%
Return on Assets-66.19%
Frequently Asked Questions for Asterias Biotherapeutics (NYSEAMERICAN:AST)
What is Asterias Biotherapeutics' stock symbol?
Asterias Biotherapeutics trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE)AMERICAN under the ticker symbol "AST."
How were Asterias Biotherapeutics' earnings last quarter?
Asterias Biotherapeutics Inc (NYSEAMERICAN:AST) released its earnings results on Tuesday, March, 28th. The biotechnology company reported ($0.18) EPS for the quarter, missing the Thomson Reuters' consensus estimate of ($0.17) by $0.01. The biotechnology company earned $1.75 million during the quarter, compared to analyst estimates of $2.81 million. Asterias Biotherapeutics had a negative net margin of 2,762.03% and a negative return on equity of 86.25%. View Asterias Biotherapeutics' Earnings History.
Where is Asterias Biotherapeutics' stock going? Where will Asterias Biotherapeutics' stock price be in 2017?
3 brokers have issued 12 month target prices for Asterias Biotherapeutics' stock. Their predictions range from $10.00 to $12.00. On average, they expect Asterias Biotherapeutics' stock price to reach $11.33 in the next year. View Analyst Ratings for Asterias Biotherapeutics.
What are Wall Street analysts saying about Asterias Biotherapeutics stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Asterias Biotherapeutics stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Asterias Biotherapeutics, Inc. is a biotechnology company. It is focused on the field of regenerative medicine. The Company's technologies center on stem cells capable of becoming all of the cell types in the human body, a property called pluripotency. It develops therapies based on pluripotent stem cells to treat diseases or injuries in a variety of medical fields, with an initial focus on the therapeutic areas of neurology and oncology. Asterias Biotherapeutics, Inc. is based in Menlo Park, California. " (11/22/2017)
- 2. HC Wainwright analysts commented, "We remind investors that the company continues to advance the SCiStar Phase 2 trial of AST-OPC1, its lead clinical program, which is enrolling both complete cervical SCI patients (AIS A classification), who have no sensory or motor function at the lowest sacral level on the ASIA impairment scale, and incomplete cervical SCI patients (AIS B classification), who retain some sensory function but no motor function at this level. Among the five cohorts slated to be treated in the trial, the first two have completed enrollment of three and six subjects respectively. Cohort 3, which comprises AIS-A patients treated with 20M cells, should generate six-month efficacy data in 3Q17. Cohort 4, which is composed of AIS- B patients, should also generate six-month efficacy data in late 3Q17. Finally, Cohort 5, which is to enroll five to eight AIS-B subjects for treatment with 20M cells per patient, could complete enrollment in 3Q17 with six-month data available in early 2018." (3/30/2017)
- 3. FBR & Co analysts commented, "We are transferring coverage of Asterias Biotherapeutics, Inc. (AST) and maintaining our Outperform rating, but we are lowering our price target to $6 (from $10) to reflect a more conservative view. AST is developing therapies in an area of immense promise that can change the practice of medicine. However, the emerging field of regenerative medicine using stem cell therapy is accompanied by increased regulatory and clinical risk. The company’s lead program (AST-OPC1) is a pluripotent stem cell platform, a cell line derived from embryonic stem cells. Pluripotent stem cells are “master cells” and have the potential to differentiate into any cell type, as well as reproduce indefinitely. AST’s pluripotent stem cells, AST-OPC1, are differentiated into oligodendrocyte progenitor cells, which are glial cells in the central nervous system. AST-OPC1 is being developed for spinal cord injuries (SCIs) and is in a Phase I/IIa trial testing higher doses for safety and efficacy. There is no cure or effective therapy approved for SCI that can rehabilitate patients." (3/7/2017)
Are investors shorting Asterias Biotherapeutics?
Asterias Biotherapeutics saw a decrease in short interest in the month of October. As of October 31st, there was short interest totalling 2,461,720 shares, a decrease of 12.1% from the October 13th total of 2,800,014 shares. Based on an average daily volume of 294,067 shares, the short-interest ratio is presently 8.4 days. Approximately 7.8% of the shares of the company are short sold.
Who are some of Asterias Biotherapeutics' key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Asterias Biotherapeutics include Nabriva Therapeutics AG (NBRV), CASI Pharmaceuticals (CASI), Corvus Pharmaceuticals (CRVS), Zynerba Pharmaceuticals (ZYNE), OncoMed Pharmaceuticals (OMED), Palatin Technologies (PTN), Pluristem Therapeutics (PSTI), Merrimack Pharmaceuticals (MACK), Organovo Holdings (ONVO), Curis (CRIS), Silence Therapeutics plc (SLN), Bioventix PLC (BVXP), Compugen (CGEN), Advaxis (ADXS), Oramed Pharmaceuticals (ORMP), CTI BioPharma Corp. (CTIC), ArQule (ARQL) and aTyr Pharma (LIFE).
Who are Asterias Biotherapeutics' key executives?
Asterias Biotherapeutics' management team includes the folowing people:
- Don M. Bailey, Chairman of the Board (Age 70)
- Michael H. Mulroy, President, Chief Executive Officer, Director (Age 51)
- Ryan Daniel Chavez, Chief Financial Officer, General Counsel (Age 40)
- Katharine E. Spink Ph.D., Chief Operating Officer, Executive Vice President (Age 40)
- Casey C. Case Ph.D., Senior Vice President - Research and Nonclinical Development (Age 59)
- Jane S. Lebkowski Ph.D., Chief Scientific Officer (Age 58)
- Edward D. Wirth III, Chief Medical Officer (Age 50)
- Stephen L. Cartt, Director (Age 53)
- Alfred D. Kingsley, Director (Age 74)
- Aditya P. Mohanty, Director (Age 50)
Who owns Asterias Biotherapeutics stock?
Asterias Biotherapeutics' stock is owned by a number of of institutional and retail investors. Top institutional shareholders include Broadwood Capital Inc. (6.85%). Company insiders that own Asterias Biotherapeutics stock include Alfred D Kingsley, Edward Wirth, Katharine E Spink, Michael H Mulroy, Natale S Ricciardi, Richard T Lebuhn and Stephen Lahue Cartt. View Institutional Ownership Trends for Asterias Biotherapeutics.
Who sold Asterias Biotherapeutics stock? Who is selling Asterias Biotherapeutics stock?
Asterias Biotherapeutics' stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Broadwood Capital Inc.. Company insiders that have sold Asterias Biotherapeutics company stock in the last year include Edward Wirth and Katharine E Spink. View Insider Buying and Selling for Asterias Biotherapeutics.
How do I buy Asterias Biotherapeutics stock?
Shares of Asterias Biotherapeutics can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages with access to the U.S. stock market include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is Asterias Biotherapeutics' stock price today?
One share of Asterias Biotherapeutics stock can currently be purchased for approximately $2.45.
How big of a company is Asterias Biotherapeutics?
Asterias Biotherapeutics has a market capitalization of $130.02 million.
How can I contact Asterias Biotherapeutics?
Asterias Biotherapeutics' mailing address is 6300 Dumbarton Cir, FREMONT, CA 94555-3644, United States. The biotechnology company can be reached via phone at +1-510-4563805.
MarketBeat Community Rating for Asterias Biotherapeutics (AST)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about Asterias Biotherapeutics and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe the stock will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe the stock will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.
Analysts' Consensus Rating for Asterias Biotherapeutics (NYSEAMERICAN:AST) (How are Consensus Ratings Calculated?)
MarketBeat calculates consensus analyst ratings for company stocks using the most recent rating from each brokerage that has rated a stock within the last twelve months. Since brokers often use different ratings systems, each rating is normalized to a standardized rating score of 1 (sell), 2 (hold), 3 (buy) or 4 (strong buy). Analyst consensus ratings scores are calculated using the mean average of the number of normalized sell, hold, buy and strong buy ratings from Wall Street analysts. Each stock's consensus analyst rating is derived from its calculated consensus ratings score (0-1.5 = Sell, 1.5-2.5 = Hold, 2.5-3.5 = Buy, >3.5 = Strong Buy). MarketBeat's consensus price targets are a mean average of the most recent available price targets set by each analyst that has set a price target for the stock in the last twelve months.
MarketBeat will no longer include ratings and price target data in its consensus calculation if a broker drops coverage and MarketBeat has received a report that coverage was dropped. Ratings from certain research firms that issue ratings using purely quantitative methods (such as Zacks, Vetr and ValuEngine) are not included in consensus calculations. MarketBeat's consensus ratings and consensus price targets may differ from those calculated by other firms due to differences in methodology and available data.
|Ratings Breakdown: ||0 Sell Ratings, 0 Hold Ratings, 3 Buy Ratings, 0 Strong Buy Ratings|
|Consensus Rating:||Buy (Score: 3.00)|
|Consensus Price Target: ||$11.33|
Consensus Price Target History for Asterias Biotherapeutics (NYSEAMERICAN:AST)
Analysts' Ratings History for Asterias Biotherapeutics (NYSEAMERICAN:AST)
(Data available from 11/24/2015 forward)
|11/22/2017||HC Wainwright||Reiterated Rating||Buy|
|4/4/2017||Laidlaw||Initiated Coverage||Buy -> Buy||$12.00|
|3/7/2017||FBR & Co||Boost Price Target||Outperform||$6.00 -> $10.00|
|5/23/2016||Chardan Capital||Initiated Coverage||Buy||$5.50|
|5/17/2016||Rodman & Renshaw||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$10.00|
Earnings History and Estimates Chart for Asterias Biotherapeutics (NYSEAMERICAN:AST)
Earnings History by Quarter for Asterias Biotherapeutics (NYSEAMERICAN AST)
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|8/14/2017||Q2 2017||($0.18)||($0.18)||$1.25 million||$0.32 million||View||N/A|
|3/28/2017||Q4||($0.17)||($0.18)||$2.81 million||$1.75 million||View||N/A|
|11/14/2016||Q316||($0.17)||($0.24)||$1.50 million||$2.10 million||View||N/A|
|8/15/2016||Q216||($0.19)||($0.12)||$1.14 million||$1.53 million||View||Listen|
Earnings Estimates for Asterias Biotherapeutics (NYSEAMERICAN:AST)
No earnings estimates for this company have been tracked by MarketBeat.com
Dividend History for Asterias Biotherapeutics (NYSEAMERICAN:AST)
No dividend announcements for this company have been tracked by MarketBeat.com
Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History for Asterias Biotherapeutics (NYSEAMERICAN AST)
Insider Trades by Quarter for Asterias Biotherapeutics (NYSEAMERICAN AST)
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Details|
|10/25/2017||Michael H Mulroy||Insider||Buy||1,939||$2.55||$4,944.45|| |
|9/25/2017||Michael H. Mulroy||Insider||Buy||1,537||$3.25||$4,995.25|| |
|1/9/2017||Edward Wirth||Insider||Sell||3,415||$4.60||$15,709.00|| |
|1/9/2017||Katharine E Spink||COO||Sell||4,781||$4.60||$21,992.60|| |
|10/6/2016||Edward Wirth||Insider||Sell||3,415||$4.12||$14,069.80|| |
|10/6/2016||Katharine E. Spink||COO||Sell||4,781||$4.11||$19,649.91|| |
|9/9/2016||Edward Wirth||Insider||Sell||14,760||$3.52||$51,955.20|| |
|9/9/2016||Katharine E. Spink||COO||Sell||19,336||$3.52||$68,062.72|| |
|6/30/2016||Stephen Lahue Cartt||CEO||Buy||10,000||$2.40||$24,000.00|| |
|6/29/2016||Richard T Lebuhn||Director||Buy||5,000||$2.38||$11,900.00|| |
|6/10/2016||Stephen Lahue Cartt||CEO||Buy||50,000||$2.93||$146,500.00|| |
|6/9/2016||Alfred D Kingsley||Director||Buy||4,000||$2.93||$11,720.00|| |
|5/13/2016||Natale S Ricciardi||Director||Buy||14,706||$3.39||$49,853.34|| |
|9/15/2015||Edward Wirth||insider||Sell||2,880||$6.00||$17,280.00|| |
|9/15/2015||Katharine E. Spink||COO||Sell||3,760||$6.00||$22,560.00|| |
|6/25/2015||Andrew Arno||Director||Buy||5,000||$4.32||$21,600.00|| |
|2/9/2015||Pedro Lichtinger||CEO||Buy||128,205||$3.90||$499,999.50|| |
|10/1/2014||Scarsdale Equities Llc||Major Shareholder||Buy||60,000||$5.93||$355,800.00|| |
Latest Headlines for Asterias Biotherapeutics (NYSEAMERICAN AST)
Asterias Biotherapeutics (NYSEAMERICAN AST) Chart for Friday, November, 24, 2017