About Asterias Biotherapeutics (NYSEAMERICAN:AST)
Asterias Biotherapeutics, Inc. is a biotechnology company. The Company is engaged in developing and commercializing therapies in the fields of cell therapy and regenerative medicine. The Company has over two technology platforms. The first is an immunotherapy platform to teach cancer patients' immune systems to attack their tumors. The second is pluripotent stem cell platform. Pluripotent cells are a type of stem cell capable of becoming all of the cell types in the human body. From its immunotherapy platform, the Company is developing over two programs. AST-VAC1 (telomerase loaded, autologous dendritic cells), which allows patient's own cells to recognize and fight cancer cells in acute myelogenous leukemia (AML). Together with Cancer Research United Kingdom (CRUK), it is developing AST-VAC2 (telomerase loaded, -allogeneic dendritic cells), -derived from pluripotent stem cells. From its pluripotent stem cell platform, it is developing AST-OPC1, oligodendrocyte progenitor cells.
Industry, Sector and Symbol
Industry Biotechnology & Medical Research
Trailing P/E Ratio-3.76923076923077
Forward P/E RatioN/A
Sales & Book Value
Price / SalesN/A
Price / CashN/A
Price / BookN/A
Return on Equity-79.80%
Return on Assets-59.45%
Asterias Biotherapeutics (NYSEAMERICAN:AST) Frequently Asked Questions
What is Asterias Biotherapeutics' stock symbol?
Asterias Biotherapeutics trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE)AMERICAN under the ticker symbol "AST."
How were Asterias Biotherapeutics' earnings last quarter?
Asterias Biotherapeutics Inc (NYSEAMERICAN:AST) announced its quarterly earnings data on Tuesday, November, 14th. The biotechnology company reported ($0.15) earnings per share for the quarter, meeting the Thomson Reuters' consensus estimate of ($0.15). Asterias Biotherapeutics had a negative return on equity of 79.80% and a negative net margin of 403.38%. View Asterias Biotherapeutics' Earnings History.
When will Asterias Biotherapeutics make its next earnings announcement?
Where is Asterias Biotherapeutics' stock going? Where will Asterias Biotherapeutics' stock price be in 2018?
3 brokerages have issued twelve-month price objectives for Asterias Biotherapeutics' shares. Their forecasts range from $10.00 to $12.00. On average, they anticipate Asterias Biotherapeutics' stock price to reach $11.00 in the next year. View Analyst Ratings for Asterias Biotherapeutics.
What are Wall Street analysts saying about Asterias Biotherapeutics stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Asterias Biotherapeutics stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Asterias Biotherapeutics, Inc. is a biotechnology company. It is focused on the field of regenerative medicine. The Company's technologies center on stem cells capable of becoming all of the cell types in the human body, a property called pluripotency. It develops therapies based on pluripotent stem cells to treat diseases or injuries in a variety of medical fields, with an initial focus on the therapeutic areas of neurology and oncology. Asterias Biotherapeutics, Inc. is based in Menlo Park, California. " (11/22/2017)
- 2. HC Wainwright analysts commented, "We remind investors that the company continues to advance the SCiStar Phase 2 trial of AST-OPC1, its lead clinical program, which is enrolling both complete cervical SCI patients (AIS A classification), who have no sensory or motor function at the lowest sacral level on the ASIA impairment scale, and incomplete cervical SCI patients (AIS B classification), who retain some sensory function but no motor function at this level. Among the five cohorts slated to be treated in the trial, the first two have completed enrollment of three and six subjects respectively. Cohort 3, which comprises AIS-A patients treated with 20M cells, should generate six-month efficacy data in 3Q17. Cohort 4, which is composed of AIS- B patients, should also generate six-month efficacy data in late 3Q17. Finally, Cohort 5, which is to enroll five to eight AIS-B subjects for treatment with 20M cells per patient, could complete enrollment in 3Q17 with six-month data available in early 2018." (3/30/2017)
- 3. FBR & Co analysts commented, "We are transferring coverage of Asterias Biotherapeutics, Inc. (AST) and maintaining our Outperform rating, but we are lowering our price target to $6 (from $10) to reflect a more conservative view. AST is developing therapies in an area of immense promise that can change the practice of medicine. However, the emerging field of regenerative medicine using stem cell therapy is accompanied by increased regulatory and clinical risk. The company’s lead program (AST-OPC1) is a pluripotent stem cell platform, a cell line derived from embryonic stem cells. Pluripotent stem cells are “master cells” and have the potential to differentiate into any cell type, as well as reproduce indefinitely. AST’s pluripotent stem cells, AST-OPC1, are differentiated into oligodendrocyte progenitor cells, which are glial cells in the central nervous system. AST-OPC1 is being developed for spinal cord injuries (SCIs) and is in a Phase I/IIa trial testing higher doses for safety and efficacy. There is no cure or effective therapy approved for SCI that can rehabilitate patients." (3/7/2017)
Are investors shorting Asterias Biotherapeutics?
Asterias Biotherapeutics saw a decline in short interest in December. As of December 29th, there was short interest totalling 2,603,929 shares, a decline of 2.6% from the December 15th total of 2,672,506 shares. Based on an average daily trading volume, of 143,188 shares, the days-to-cover ratio is presently 18.2 days. Currently, 8.2% of the company's shares are sold short.
Who are some of Asterias Biotherapeutics' key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Asterias Biotherapeutics include Cellular Dynamics International (ICEL), GTX (GTXI), CASI Pharmaceuticals (CASI), Galectin Therapeutics (GALT), Nabriva Therapeutics (NBRV), Corvus Pharmaceuticals (CRVS), Pluristem Therapeutics (PSTI), Palatin Technologies (PTN), Eiger Biopharmaceuticals (EIGR), Zynerba Pharmaceuticals (ZYNE), ArQule (ARQL), Sunesis Pharmaceuticals (SNSS), Organovo (ONVO), CTI BioPharma (CTIC), Merrimack Pharmaceuticals (MACK), Compugen (CGEN), Silence Therapeutics (SLN) and Regulus Therapeutics (RGLS).
Who are Asterias Biotherapeutics' key executives?
Asterias Biotherapeutics' management team includes the folowing people:
- Don M. Bailey, Chairman of the Board (Age 70)
- Michael H. Mulroy, President, Chief Executive Officer, Director (Age 51)
- Ryan Daniel Chavez, Chief Financial Officer, General Counsel (Age 40)
- Katharine E. Spink Ph.D., Chief Operating Officer, Executive Vice President (Age 40)
- Casey C. Case Ph.D., Senior Vice President - Research and Nonclinical Development (Age 59)
- Edward D. Wirth III, Chief Medical Officer (Age 50)
- Stephen L. Cartt, Director (Age 53)
- Alfred D. Kingsley, Director (Age 74)
- Aditya P. Mohanty, Director (Age 50)
- Robert W. Peabody CPA, Director (Age 60)
How do I buy Asterias Biotherapeutics stock?
Shares of Asterias Biotherapeutics can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages with access to the U.S. stock market include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is Asterias Biotherapeutics' stock price today?
One share of Asterias Biotherapeutics stock can currently be purchased for approximately $2.45.
How big of a company is Asterias Biotherapeutics?
Asterias Biotherapeutics has a market capitalization of $132.67 million.
How can I contact Asterias Biotherapeutics?
Asterias Biotherapeutics' mailing address is 6300 Dumbarton Cir, FREMONT, CA 94555-3644, United States. The biotechnology company can be reached via phone at +1-510-4563805.
MarketBeat Community Rating for Asterias Biotherapeutics (AST)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about Asterias Biotherapeutics and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe the stock will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe the stock will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.
Asterias Biotherapeutics (NYSEAMERICAN:AST) Earnings History and Estimates Chart
Asterias Biotherapeutics (NYSEAMERICAN AST) Earnings History by Quarter
(Earnings results data provided by Zacks Investment Research)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|8/14/2017||Q2 2017||($0.18)||($0.18)||$1.25 million||$0.32 million||View||N/A|
|3/28/2017||Q4||($0.17)||($0.18)||$2.81 million||$1.75 million||View||N/A|
|11/14/2016||Q316||($0.17)||($0.24)||$1.50 million||$2.10 million||View||N/A|
|8/15/2016||Q216||($0.19)||($0.12)||$1.14 million||$1.53 million||View||Listen|
Asterias Biotherapeutics (NYSEAMERICAN:AST) Earnings Estimates
No earnings estimates for this company have been tracked by MarketBeat.com
Dividend History for Asterias Biotherapeutics (NYSEAMERICAN:AST)
No dividend announcements for this company have been tracked by MarketBeat.com
Asterias Biotherapeutics (NYSEAMERICAN AST) Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History
Asterias Biotherapeutics (NYSEAMERICAN AST) Insider Trades by Quarter
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Shares Held After Transaction||Details|
|12/26/2017||Michael H Mulroy||Insider||Buy||2,247||$2.22||$4,988.34|| |
|11/27/2017||Michael H Mulroy||Insider||Buy||2,076||$2.41||$5,003.16|| |
|10/25/2017||Michael H Mulroy||Insider||Buy||1,939||$2.55||$4,944.45|| |
|9/25/2017||Michael H. Mulroy||Insider||Buy||1,537||$3.25||$4,995.25|| |
|1/9/2017||Edward Wirth||Insider||Sell||3,415||$4.60||$15,709.00||3,415|| |
|1/9/2017||Katharine E Spink||COO||Sell||4,781||$4.60||$21,992.60||4,781|| |
|10/6/2016||Edward Wirth||Insider||Sell||3,415||$4.12||$14,069.80|| |
|10/6/2016||Katharine E. Spink||COO||Sell||4,781||$4.11||$19,649.91|| |
|9/9/2016||Edward Wirth||Insider||Sell||14,760||$3.52||$51,955.20|| |
|9/9/2016||Katharine E. Spink||COO||Sell||19,336||$3.52||$68,062.72|| |
|6/30/2016||Stephen Lahue Cartt||CEO||Buy||10,000||$2.40||$24,000.00||260,000|| |
|6/29/2016||Richard T Lebuhn||Director||Buy||5,000||$2.38||$11,900.00||25,000|| |
|6/10/2016||Stephen Lahue Cartt||CEO||Buy||50,000||$2.93||$146,500.00||250,000|| |
|6/9/2016||Alfred D Kingsley||Director||Buy||4,000||$2.93||$11,720.00||9,000|| |
|5/13/2016||Natale S Ricciardi||Director||Buy||14,706||$3.39||$49,853.34||19,706|| |
|9/15/2015||Edward Wirth||insider||Sell||2,880||$6.00||$17,280.00|| |
|9/15/2015||Katharine E. Spink||COO||Sell||3,760||$6.00||$22,560.00|| |
|6/25/2015||Andrew Arno||Director||Buy||5,000||$4.32||$21,600.00|| |
|2/9/2015||Pedro Lichtinger||CEO||Buy||128,205||$3.90||$499,999.50|| |
|10/1/2014||Scarsdale Equities Llc||Major Shareholder||Buy||60,000||$5.93||$355,800.00|| |
Asterias Biotherapeutics (NYSEAMERICAN AST) News Headlines
|Short Interest in Asterias Biotherapeutics Inc (AST) Declines By 2.6%|
www.americanbankingnews.com - January 11 at 2:36 AM
|Asterias Biotherapeutics' (AST) "Buy" Rating Reaffirmed at HC Wainwright|
www.americanbankingnews.com - January 8 at 7:26 AM
|33 Stocks Moving In Thursday's Mid-Day Session | Benzinga - Benzinga|
www.benzinga.com - January 4 at 4:43 PM
|Asterias Biotherapeutics reports milestone targets for 2018 - Seeking Alpha|
seekingalpha.com - January 4 at 4:43 PM
|Asterias Biotherapeutics Reports Milestone Targets for 2018 - Nasdaq - Nasdaq|
www.nasdaq.com - January 4 at 3:43 PM
|Asterias Biotherapeutics Reports Milestone Targets for 2018|
finance.yahoo.com - January 4 at 10:07 AM
|ETFs with exposure to Asterias Biotherapeutics, Inc. : December 28, 2017|
finance.yahoo.com - December 28 at 4:25 PM
|Asterias Biotherapeutics Inc (AST) Short Interest Up 6.3% in December|
www.americanbankingnews.com - December 27 at 6:38 PM
|Asterias Biotherapeutics, Inc. :AST-US: Earnings Analysis: Q3, 2017 By the Numbers : December 27, 2017|
finance.yahoo.com - December 27 at 12:57 PM
|Wired News – Asterias Reports Enrollment and Dosing of Last Subject in SciStar Trial In Treatment of Severe Spinal Cord Injury|
finance.yahoo.com - December 21 at 10:12 AM
|BioTime to Participate in The LifeSci Advisors Corporate Access Event in San Francisco, January 8 – 10, 2018 - Business Wire (press release)|
www.businesswire.com - December 20 at 3:42 PM
|BRIEF-Asterias Biotherapeutics Completes Enrollment Of Entire SCiStar Study|
www.reuters.com - December 19 at 4:40 PM
|Asterias Biotherapeutics Completes Enrollment of Entire SCiStar Study - Nasdaq|
www.nasdaq.com - December 19 at 10:15 AM
|Asterias Biotherapeutics Completes Enrollment of Entire SCiStar Study|
finance.yahoo.com - December 19 at 10:15 AM
|Asterias Biotherapeutics Inc (AST) Sees Large Decrease in Short Interest|
www.americanbankingnews.com - December 12 at 2:26 AM
|Asterias Biotherapeutics Inc (AST) Short Interest Up 4.9% in November|
www.americanbankingnews.com - November 27 at 7:48 PM
|Asterias Biotherapeutics Inc (AST) Stock Rating Lowered by Zacks Investment Research|
www.americanbankingnews.com - November 22 at 5:10 PM
|Asterias Biotherapeutics Inc (AST) Stock Rating Reaffirmed by HC Wainwright|
www.americanbankingnews.com - November 22 at 8:05 AM
|Asterias Biotherapeutics to Present at Piper Jaffray Healthcare Conference on November 28, 2017 - GlobeNewswire (press release)|
globenewswire.com - November 16 at 9:25 PM
|Asterias Biotherapeutics to Present at Piper Jaffray Healthcare Conference on November 28, 2017|
finance.yahoo.com - November 16 at 4:24 PM
|ETFs with exposure to Asterias Biotherapeutics, Inc. : November 15, 2017|
finance.yahoo.com - November 16 at 11:33 AM
|Asterias Biotherapeutics posts 3Q loss|
finance.yahoo.com - November 16 at 11:33 AM
|Astur Gold Corp (AST) Sees Significant Decline in Short Interest|
www.americanbankingnews.com - November 14 at 12:02 AM
|Astur Gold Corp (AST) Scheduled to Post Earnings on Tuesday|
www.americanbankingnews.com - November 13 at 8:20 PM
Asterias Biotherapeutics (NYSEAMERICAN:AST) SEC Filings
This page is loading this company's SEC Filings. Please wait...
Financials are not available for this stock.
Asterias Biotherapeutics (NYSEAMERICAN AST) Stock Chart for Tuesday, January, 16, 2018