Tesla, Inc., formerly Tesla Motors, Inc., designs, develops, manufactures and sells fully electric vehicles, and energy storage systems, as well as installs, operates and maintains solar and energy storage products. The Company operates through two segments: Automotive, and Energy generation and storage. The Automotive segment includes the design, development, manufacturing, and sales of electric vehicles. The Energy generation and storage segment includes the design, manufacture, installation, and sale or lease of stationary energy storage products and solar energy systems to residential and commercial customers, or sale of electricity generated by its solar energy systems to customers. The Company produces and distributes two fully electric vehicles, the Model S sedan and the Model X sport utility vehicle (SUV). It also offers Model 3, a sedan designed for the mass market. It develops energy storage products for use in homes, commercial facilities and utility sites.
Industry, Sector and Symbol:
- Sector: Auto/Tires/Trucks
- Industry: Auto Manufacturers - Major
- Sub-Industry: Automobile Manufacturers
- Symbol: NASDAQ:TSLA
- CUSIP: 88160R10
- Web: www.teslamotors.com
- Market Cap: $53.41 billion
- Outstanding Shares: 164,259,000
- 50 Day Moving Avg: $310.91
- 200 Day Moving Avg: $253.96
- 52 Week Range: $178.19 - $327.66
Sales & Book Value:
- Trailing P/E Ratio: N/A
- Foreward P/E Ratio: -357.30
- P/E Growth: -1.56
- Annual Revenue: $8.55 billion
- Price / Sales: 6.25
- Book Value: $30.38 per share
- Price / Book: 10.70
- EBIDTA: $530.74 million
- Net Margins: -14.74%
- Return on Equity: -29.17%
- Return on Assets: -5.07%
- Debt-to-Equity Ratio: 0.92%
- Current Ratio: 1.27%
- Quick Ratio: 0.87%
- Average Volume: 5.81 million shs.
- Beta: 1.36
- Short Ratio: 5.27
Frequently Asked Questions for Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA)
What is Tesla's stock symbol?
Tesla trades on the NASDAQ under the ticker symbol "TSLA."
How were Tesla's earnings last quarter?
Tesla Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) released its earnings results on Wednesday, May, 3rd. The company reported ($1.97) EPS for the quarter, missing analysts' consensus estimates of ($0.67) by $1.30. The business earned $2.70 billion during the quarter, compared to analyst estimates of $2.56 billion. Tesla had a negative net margin of 14.74% and a negative return on equity of 29.17%. View Tesla's Earnings History.
When will Tesla make its next earnings announcement?
Where is Tesla's stock going? Where will Tesla's stock price be in 2017?
29 brokers have issued twelve-month target prices for Tesla's stock. Their predictions range from $155.00 to $425.00. On average, they anticipate Tesla's share price to reach $271.36 in the next twelve months. View Analyst Ratings for Tesla.
What are analysts saying about Tesla stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Tesla stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Tesla’s adjusted loss per share in first-quarter 2017 was significantly wider than estimates. The company caters to a niche market and has been recording losses over the last few years. High research and development costs, low number of chargers, high requirement of capital expenditure and opposition to direct selling in some states are other headwinds. However, Tesla’s higher sales improved revenues in the quarter, which beat estimates. The company reported record deliveries in the first quarter of 2017. The company is focused on geographical expansions and acquisitions for growth. Tesla also remains on track with its Model 3 production. Moreover, the company is rapidly expanding its charging network and ramping up production to meet the demand for both. The company has outperformed the Zacks categorized Automotive-Domestic industry over the last three months." (5/5/2017)
- 2. Piper Jaffray Companies analysts commented, "As they scramble to catch up, we think Tesla's competitors only make themselves appear more desperate. With this in mind, even if the Model 3 production launch goes badly, we think customers (and more importantly shareholders) will withhold judgment," the analyst said.Bears Won't MatterPiper Jaffray noted that Tesla remains unscathed despite defying the rules. The firm put forth its argument based on the cash burn rate of the company, a rate that might have invited shareholder wrath even with better-established companies, given Tesla's rickety balance sheet and penchant for raising equity. Additionally, the firm pointed to the unreasonably fast production timelines of the company, its avoidance of the LiDAR self-driving system and the direct sales model it is pursuing, which has put it at loggerheads with the dealers.Raising EstimatesThe firm said it is now more convinced that Model 3 deliveries will begin in 2017, as against its earlier assumption of a mid-2018 commercial launch. Accordingly, the firm tinkered with its forecasts, raising sales estimate but lowering near-term earnings per share estimate to reflect launch inefficiencies."We now expect a more aggressive increase in Model 3 shipments through 2021 (hence our higher estimates), but we assign no credit for new vehicle models or upside in Energy Generation & Storage," (4/10/2017)
- 3. Deutsche Bank AG analysts commented, "Incorporating the $1.365 bn capital raise into our model, we now estimate that Tesla will likely end 2017 with $1.8bn in cash, a significantly more comfortable liquidity cushion.. We assume Tesla will produce 22k Model 3 units in 2017, of which 20k occurs in Q4. We then assume 250k Model 3 units in 2018. While our assumption for 2018 growth appears very high. we'd note that Tesla is targeting YE2017 production of 5,000 per week. And Tesla is targeting a YE2018 production run rate of 10,000 per week, or a 500k annualized run rate. Including Model S/X and other variants, our 2017/2018/2019/2020 volume estimates are 122k/350k/500k/650k. For comparison, Tesla is aspiring to achieve 1 MM units by 2020." (3/20/2017)
- 4. Goldman Sachs Group Inc analysts commented, "We update our model to reflect Tesla's announced capital raise, which included $1bn+ convertible debt/equity raise in 1Q17, vs. our previously forecasted $1.7bn equity raise in 3Q17. This should leave Tesla with a high enough cash balance exiting the year, but we forecast another capital raise is needed in 2018 to maintain a cash balance above $1bn. The impact to our 2017/2018 EPS is a slight headwind given increased interest expense, but our 2019/2020 estimates increase slightly on lower dilution. This also pushes our 6-month price target up slightly to $187, which implies 29% downside potential. Further, we detail feedback to our recent downgrade." (3/17/2017)
- 5. Robert W. Baird analysts commented, "We view the offering positively as it should help de-risk the Model 3 launch, provide additional capital for Model 3 production equipment and/or investment in the gigafactory, and remove an overhang on the stock. Bears will likely say the deal is too small, although we believe this displays TSLA's confidence in the Model 3 timeline and anticipate shares will move higher. TSLA remains a favorite pick for 2017." (3/16/2017)
Are investors shorting Tesla?
Tesla saw a increase in short interest during the month of May. As of May 15th, there was short interest totalling 31,692,585 shares, an increase of 0.7% from the April 28th total of 31,462,981 shares. Based on an average daily volume of 7,518,214 shares, the days-to-cover ratio is presently 4.2 days. Currently, 27.2% of the shares of the company are sold short.
Who are some of Tesla's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Tesla include Volkswagen AG (VLKAY), Daimler AG (DDAIF), General Motors Company (GM), Honda Motor Co Ltd (HMC), Continental AG (CTTAY), Ford Motor Company (F), Nissan Motor Co Ltd (NSANY), Denso Corp (DNZOY), Cummins (CMI), Tata Motors Limited (TTM), Delphi Automotive PLC (DLPH), PACCAR (PCAR), MICHELIN (CGDE) (MGDDY), Magna International (MGA), Valeo, SA (VLEEY), Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV (FCAU), Ferrari (RACE) and CNH Industrial NV (CNHI).
Who owns Tesla stock?
Tesla's stock is owned by a number of of retail and institutional investors. Top institutional investors include FMR LLC (15.12%), Baillie Gifford & Co. (8.43%),
TENCENT HOLDINGS LTD
(5.00%), Vanguard Group Inc. (3.67%), Jennison Associates LLC (1.77%) and Primecap Management Co. CA (0.75%). Company insiders that own Tesla stock include Antonio J Gracias, Brad W Buss, Deepak Ahuja, Elon Musk, Gregory Reichow, Ira Matthew Ehrenpreis, Jeffrey B Straubel, Jerome M Guillen, John Douglas Field, Kimbal Musk and Robyn M Denholm. View Institutional Ownership Trends for Tesla.
Who sold Tesla stock? Who is selling Tesla stock?
Tesla's stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including TD Asset Management Inc., SG Americas Securities LLC, Seminole Management Co. Inc., Sumitomo Mitsui Asset Management Company LTD, Janus Capital Management LLC, Sumway Development LTD., ING Groep NV and APG Asset Management N.V.. Company insiders that have sold Tesla stock in the last year include Antonio J Gracias, Jeffrey B Straubel, John Douglas Field, Kimbal Musk and Robyn M Denholm. View Insider Buying and Selling for Tesla.
Who bought Tesla stock? Who is buying Tesla stock?
Tesla's stock was bought by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including FMR LLC, Renaissance Technologies LLC, Baillie Gifford & Co., Vanguard Group Inc., Jennison Associates LLC, TIAA CREF Investment Management LLC, Teachers Advisors LLC and KEYWISE CAPITAL MANAGEMENT Ltd. View Insider Buying and Selling for Tesla.
How do I buy Tesla stock?
Shares of Tesla can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
How much does a share of Tesla stock cost?
One share of Tesla stock can currently be purchased for approximately $325.14.
Earnings History for Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA)Earnings History by Quarter for Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA)
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|8/1/2017|| || || || || || || || |
|5/3/2017||Q1 2017||($0.67)||($1.97)||$2.56 billion||$2.70 billion||View||Listen|
|2/22/2017||Q416||($0.43)||($0.69)||$2.21 billion||$2.29 billion||View||Listen|
|10/26/2016||Q316||($0.54)||$0.71||$2.33 billion||$2.30 billion||View||Listen|
|8/3/2016||Q216||($0.51)||($1.06)||$1.67 billion||$1.56 billion||View||N/A|
|5/4/2016||Q116||($0.61)||($0.57)||$1.61 billion||$1.60 billion||View||N/A|
|2/10/2016||Q415||$0.11||($0.87)||$1.81 billion||$1.75 billion||View||Listen|
|11/3/2015||Q3||($0.50)||($0.58)||$1.26 billion||$963.80 million||View||Listen|
|8/5/2015||Q215||($0.60)||($0.48)||$1.16 billion||$1.20 billion||View||N/A|
|5/6/2015||Q115||($0.49)||($0.36)||$1.04 billion||$939.88 billion||View||N/A|
|2/11/2015||Q414||$0.31||($0.13)||$1.23 billion||$957.00 billion||View||N/A|
|11/5/2014||Q314||($0.15)||$0.02||$893.60 million||$932.30 million||View||N/A|
|7/31/2014||Q214||$0.04||$0.11||$810.57 million||$857.50 million||View||Listen|
|5/7/2014||Q114||$0.12||$0.12||$699.10 million||$713.00 million||View||N/A|
|2/19/2014||Q413||$0.18||$0.33||$657.15 million||$615.00 million||View||N/A|
|11/5/2013||Q313||$0.11||$0.12||$535.41 million||$431.35 million||View||N/A|
|8/7/2013||Q2 2013||($0.16)||$0.20||$393.40 million||$405.10 million||View||N/A|
|5/8/2013||Q1 2013||$0.04||$0.12||$492.02 million||$562.00 million||View||N/A|
|2/20/2013||Q4 2012||($0.52)||($0.65)||$298.90 million||$306.30 million||View||N/A|
|11/5/2012||Q312||($0.90)||($0.92)||$48.47 million||$50.10 million||View||N/A|
Earnings Estimates for Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA)
2017 EPS Consensus Estimate: ($2.69)
(Data provided by Zacks Investment Research)
|Quarter||Number of Estimates||Low Estimate||High Estimate||Average Estimate|
Dividend History for Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA)
No dividend announcements for this company have been tracked by MarketBeat.com
Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History for Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA)
Insider Ownership Percentage: 27.70%Insider Trades by Quarter for Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA)
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 57.29%
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Details|
|5/9/2017||Jeffrey B. Straubel||Insider||Sell||109,100||$307.81||$33,582,071.00|| |
|5/8/2017||Jeffrey B. Straubel||Insider||Sell||106,000||$307.44||$32,588,640.00|| |
|5/8/2017||Robyn M Denholm||Director||Sell||20,000||$311.76||$6,235,200.00|| |
|5/1/2017||Kimbal Musk||Director||Sell||2,500||$315.67||$789,175.00|| |
|4/11/2017||Kimbal Musk||Director||Sell||2,191||$312.11||$683,833.01|| |
|4/7/2017||John Douglas Field||VP||Sell||500||$301.45||$150,725.00|| |
|4/3/2017||Kimbal Musk||Director||Sell||2,500||$286.28||$715,700.00|| |
|3/17/2017||Elon Musk||CEO||Buy||95,420||$262.00||$25,000,040.00|| |
|2/6/2017||Antonio J Gracias||Director||Sell||5,600||$254.44||$1,424,864.00|| |
|1/25/2017||Antonio J Gracias||Director||Sell||5,600||$254.37||$1,424,472.00|| |
|1/10/2017||John Douglas Field||VP||Sell||1,000||$228.61||$228,610.00|| |
|1/3/2017||Kimbal Musk||Director||Sell||2,500||$212.90||$532,250.00|| |
|11/22/2016||Jeffrey B Straubel||Insider||Sell||33,430||$190.82||$6,379,112.60|| |
|11/1/2016||Kimbal Musk||Director||Sell||2,779||$197.60||$549,130.40|| |
|6/13/2016||Kimbal Musk||Director||Sell||460||$224.37||$103,210.20|| |
|6/7/2016||John Douglas Field||VP||Sell||1,000||$230.92||$230,920.00|| |
|5/25/2016||Elon Musk||CEO||Sell||2,782,670||$213.22||$593,320,897.40|| |
|5/13/2016||Brad W Buss||Director||Sell||15,333||$207.75||$3,185,430.75|| |
|5/2/2016||Kimbal Musk||Director||Sell||5,555||$238.35||$1,324,034.25|| |
|4/26/2016||John Douglas Field||VP||Sell||1,000||$253.13||$253,130.00|| |
|3/18/2016||Kimbal Musk||Director||Sell||11,997||$232.71||$2,791,821.87|| |
|12/4/2015||Kimbal Musk||Director||Sell||5,000||$229.49||$1,147,450.00|| |
|11/16/2015||Jeffrey B. Straubel||insider||Sell||10,000||$212.47||$2,124,700.00|| |
|11/6/2015||Gregory Reichow||VP||Sell||12,709||$231.60||$2,943,404.40|| |
|11/2/2015||Kimbal Musk||Director||Sell||6,800||$213.25||$1,450,100.00|| |
|10/15/2015||Jeffrey B. Straubel||insider||Sell||10,000||$218.44||$2,184,400.00|| |
|9/15/2015||Jeffrey B. Straubel||insider||Sell||10,000||$252.56||$2,525,600.00|| |
|8/19/2015||Elon Musk||CEO||Buy||82,645||$242.00||$20,000,090.00|| |
|8/18/2015||Deepak Ahuja||CFO||Sell||5,000||$257.61||$1,288,050.00|| |
|8/18/2015||Ira Matthew Ehrenpreis||Director||Sell||16,698||$255.39||$4,264,502.22|| |
|7/15/2015||Jeffrey B Straubel||Insider||Sell||10,000||$264.33||$2,643,300.00|| |
|7/15/2015||Jerome M Guillen||VP||Sell||1,500||$264.53||$396,795.00|| |
|6/15/2015||Jeffrey B Straubel||Insider||Sell||10,000||$248.94||$2,489,400.00|| |
|6/15/2015||Jerome M Guillen||VP||Sell||1,500||$248.86||$373,290.00|| |
|5/15/2015||Jeffrey B Straubel||Insider||Sell||10,000||$247.27||$2,472,700.00|| |
|5/15/2015||Jerome M Guillen||VP||Sell||1,500||$246.94||$370,410.00|| |
|5/11/2015||Gregory Reichow||VP||Sell||10,000||$239.53||$2,395,300.00|| |
|2/9/2015||Kimbal Musk||Director||Sell||4,600||$214.64||$987,344.00|| |
|8/4/2014||Kimbal Musk||Director||Sell||4,287||$234.46||$1,005,130.02|| |
|6/3/2014||Antonio J Gracias||Director||Sell||15,000||$204.57||$3,068,550.00|| |
|5/30/2014||Antonio J Gracias||Director||Sell||20,000||$210.08||$4,201,600.00|| |
|5/28/2014||Antonio J Gracias||Director||Sell||20,000||$210.49||$4,209,800.00|| |
|5/23/2014||Antonio J Gracias||Director||Sell||20,000||$205.02||$4,100,400.00|| |
|5/21/2014||Antonio Gracias||Director||Sell||10,000||$198.03||$1,980,300.00|| |
|5/20/2014||Antonio Gracias||Director||Sell||20,000||$195.79||$3,915,800.00|| |
|5/16/2014||Antonio Gracias||Director||Sell||20,000||$188.92||$3,778,400.00|| |
|5/1/2014||Kimbal Musk||Director||Sell||4,811||$206.43||$993,134.73|| |
|4/28/2014||Gregory Reichow||VP||Sell||13,000||$200.00||$2,600,000.00|| |
|4/17/2014||Deepak Ahuja||CFO||Sell||10,000||$196.83||$1,968,300.00|| |
|8/29/2013||Ira Matthew Ehrenpreis||Director||Sell||60,052||$163.96||$9,846,125.92|| |
|8/23/2013||Brad Buss||Director||Sell||10,000||$158.31||$1,583,100.00|| |
|8/14/2013||Gregory Reichow||VP||Sell||2,084||$141.19||$294,239.96|| |
|7/3/2013||Kimbal Musk||Director||Sell||4,244||$117.20||$497,396.80|| |
|5/30/2013||Elon Musk||CEO||Buy||1,084,129||$92.24||$100,000,058.96|| |
|5/28/2013||Brad W Buss||Director||Sell||20,000||$104.42||$2,088,400.00|| |
|5/28/2013||Gilbert Passin||VP||Sell||1,500||$104.66||$156,990.00|| |
|5/23/2013||Gilbert Passin||VP||Sell||3,500||$90.00||$315,000.00|| |
|5/20/2013||Ira Matthew Ehrenpreis||Director||Sell||793,290||$90.91||$72,117,993.90|| |
|5/17/2013||George Blankenship||VP||Sell||139,444||$91.16||$12,711,715.04|| |
|1/18/2013||Kimbal Musk||Director||Sell||2,908||$34.48||$100,267.84|| |
|12/3/2012||Deepak Ahuja||CFO||Sell||10,000||$34.50||$345,000.00|| |
|10/3/2012||Elon Musk||CEO||Buy||35,398||$28.25||$999,993.50|| |
Headline Trends for Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA)
Latest Headlines for Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA)
Tesla (TSLA) Chart for Sunday, May, 28, 2017