About Southwestern Energy (NYSE:SWN)
Southwestern Energy Company is an energy company engaged in natural gas and oil exploration, development and production. The Company operates through two segments: Exploration and Production (E&P) and Midstream Services. Its operations in northeast Pennsylvania are primarily focused on the unconventional natural gas reservoir known as the Marcellus Shale. Through its affiliated midstream subsidiaries, it is engaged in natural gas gathering activities in Arkansas and Louisiana. Its operations are principally focused on the development of unconventional natural gas reservoirs located in Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Arkansas. As of December 31, 2016, its estimated proved natural gas and oil reserves were 5,253 billions of cubic feet equivalent (Bcfe). During the fiscal year ended December 31, 2016, it gathered approximately 600 billion cubic feet (Bcf) of natural gas in the Fayetteville Shale area, including 42 Bcf of natural gas from third-party operated wells.
Industry, Sector and Symbol
Industry Oil & Gas Exploration and Production
Sub-IndustryOil & Gas Exploration & Production
Trailing P/E Ratio13.85
Forward P/E Ratio11.76
Sales & Book Value
Annual Sales$2.44 billion
Price / Sales1.11
Cash Flow$0.85 per share
Price / Cash6.20
Book Value$1.85 per share
Price / Book2.86
Return on Equity23.99%
Return on Assets4.54%
Southwestern Energy (NYSE:SWN) Frequently Asked Questions
What is Southwestern Energy's stock symbol?
Southwestern Energy trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "SWN."
How were Southwestern Energy's earnings last quarter?
Southwestern Energy (NYSE:SWN) issued its quarterly earnings results on Thursday, October, 26th. The energy company reported $0.06 earnings per share (EPS) for the quarter, missing the Thomson Reuters' consensus estimate of $0.07 by $0.01. The energy company earned $737 million during the quarter, compared to the consensus estimate of $773.99 million. Southwestern Energy had a return on equity of 23.99% and a net margin of 16.31%. The firm's revenue was up 13.2% compared to the same quarter last year. During the same quarter in the previous year, the business earned $0.03 earnings per share. View Southwestern Energy's Earnings History.
When will Southwestern Energy make its next earnings announcement?
Where is Southwestern Energy's stock going? Where will Southwestern Energy's stock price be in 2017?
23 brokers have issued 1-year price targets for Southwestern Energy's shares. Their predictions range from $6.00 to $15.00. On average, they expect Southwestern Energy's stock price to reach $8.84 in the next twelve months. View Analyst Ratings for Southwestern Energy.
What are Wall Street analysts saying about Southwestern Energy stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Southwestern Energy stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Since natural gas accounts for almost all of the Southwestern Energy’s reserves and production, its results are vulnerable to negative near-term outlook for the commodity. Moreover, an oversupplied U.S. natural gas market with low demand provides little space for the company to flourish. The company is facing pressure on top line. Over the past three years (2014–2016), total revenues declined at a CAGR of 22.3%. Continued pressure on oil and gas prices are the primarily reasons for decrease in revenues. We are also concerned with the company’s high debt load. At the end of the first quarter, the company’s debt balance stood at $4.4 billion compared with cash balance of $659.1 million in the balance sheet. In fact, the company’s debt-to-equity ratio is 341.5%, higher than the broader industry average of 99.4%." (7/27/2017)
- 2. National Securities analysts commented, "What Happened:
• In the 1st quarter of 2017, Southwestern produced at a rate of 2.3 billion cubic feet equivalent per day (Bcfe/d), while maintaining its 90% natural gas weighting. We note that this represents a 3% sequential increase on the quarter, while meeting our own production estimates as well.
• As it relates to pricing, SWN realized natural gas prices of $2.57 per Mcf on the quarter (post hedges), 24% higher than the prior quarter, while exceeding our projection of $2.07 per Mcf by the same amount. Looking forward, we estimate a narrowing to $2.31 per Mcf for the upcoming quarter, when incorporating current strip prices, and differentials to NYMEX gas prices.
• SWN announced a significant uptick in reserves in the quarter, growing to 10 trillion cubic feet equivalent (Tcfe) from 5.3, along with an increase in PV-10 value to $3 billion (from $1.6 billion)
• Looking forward, we model an 8% increase in production to 2.5 Bcfe per day, though we expect a contraction in revenues, driven by our expectations for lower prices in 2Q17. For all of 2017 however, we project that Southwestern’s revenue will expand 35% largely driven by higher production volumes.
• The unexpected announcement of a near doubling of Southwestern’s reserve base (following a 15% reduction to close 2016), positions the company well for the remainder of 2017. While we note that the reserve number is unaudited (and thus discounted in our own valuation), we do not doubt the validity of the figures, nor the decision to announce the figure early. Investors should note that traditionally, revisions in reserves (whether up or down), are generally reserved for the end of the year. However, given the large increase, it seems prudent that SWN would announce now, rather than wait until 2017 has concluded.
• To that end, an audit of a company’s reserves will generally use the first day’s pricing, of the prior 12 months to estimate both reserve quantities, as well as PV-10 (often times used as a proxy for discounted projected cash flows). That methodology in this instance is overly conservative for SWN in our view.
• By that we mean that given the trajectory of natural gas prices during 2016, SWN received a downward revision in reserves that doesn’t accurately reflect the company’s forward looking prospects, in our view. Specifically, we note that the average natural gas price for 2016 was $2.62 per Mcf (2% lower than 2015). However, we contend that the full year average was held down in large measure by the $2.16 per Mcf averaged in the first half of the year. By contrast, natural gas prices were much stronger in the 2nd half of 2016, averaging $3.06 per Mcf between July and December. Additionally, as we look to the forward strip, we highlight average prices of $3.37 per Mcf for the remainder of the year. And while we acknowledge that the strip itself is not to be used as a prognosticator of future settlement prices, we expect that SWN will use the futures strip as a mechanism to lock in higher natural gas prices via its hedge book. As it stands we note that SWN has 50% of its remaining production hedged above current strip prices, and fully expect the company to be opportunistic for 2018 and 2019 production as well.
• We arrive at our price target using a blended average of Southwestern’s daily production, proved reserves, and projected EBITDA. In doing so, we arrive at our $14 target. Additionally, our model adds $1.35 for a working capital surplus, while deducting $6.59 per share for net debt. Given the implied upside to our target, we reiterate our BUY rating.
- 3. KLR Group analysts commented, "We are increasing our SWN target price $2 to $15 per share due to an incremental 10% capital allocation to Appalachia, which corresponds to an approximate 10% improvement in overall capital intensity. Our '17 production outlook of ~899 Bcfe is slightly below the midpoint of company guidance (890-910 Bcfe)." (2/27/2017)
Are investors shorting Southwestern Energy?
Southwestern Energy saw a increase in short interest in November. As of November 30th, there was short interest totalling 44,851,033 shares, an increase of 7.6% from the November 15th total of 41,699,015 shares. Based on an average trading volume of 13,061,269 shares, the days-to-cover ratio is currently 3.4 days. Currently, 8.8% of the company's shares are short sold.
Who are some of Southwestern Energy's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Southwestern Energy include Energen (EGN), WPX Energy (WPX), Murphy Oil (MUR), Vermilion Energy (VET), Range Resources (RRC), Transportadora De Gas Sa Ord B (TGS), Black Stone Minerals (BSM), Chesapeake Energy (CHK), Texas Pacific Land Trust (TPL), PDC Energy (PDCE), Matador Resources (MTDR), Extraction Oil & Gas (XOG), Kosmos Energy (KOS), Tullow Oil (TLW), Viper Energy Partners (VNOM), Laredo Petroleum (LPI), SM Energy (SM) and Clayton Williams Energy (CWEI).
Who are Southwestern Energy's key executives?
Southwestern Energy's management team includes the folowing people:
- Catherine A. Kehr, Independent Chairman of the Board (Age 54)
- William J. Way, President, Chief Executive Officer, Director (Age 58)
- Clayton A. Carrell, Chief Operating Officer, Executive Vice President (Age 52)
- Mark K. Boling, Executive Vice President, President - V+ Development Solutions (Age 59)
- John C. Ale, Senior Vice President, General Counsel, Corporate Secretary (Age 62)
- John E. Bergeron Jr., Senior Vice President – E&P Operations (Age 59)
- Randall L. Curry, Senior Vice President – Midstream (Age 59)
- Paul W. Geiger III, Senior Vice President – Corporate Development (Age 45)
- Jennifer N. Mccauley, Senior Vice President – Administration (Age 53)
- James W. Vick, Senior Vice President – Business Information Systems (Age 55)
Who owns Southwestern Energy stock?
Southwestern Energy's stock is owned by a number of of retail and institutional investors. Top institutional shareholders include Disciplined Growth Investors Inc. MN (1.33%), Bank of New York Mellon Corp (1.19%), Russell Investments Group Ltd. (0.93%), State of New Jersey Common Pension Fund D (0.76%), Schwab Charles Investment Management Inc. (0.67%) and Allianz Asset Management GmbH (0.65%). Company insiders that own Southwestern Energy stock include Gregory D Kerley, Jennifer N Mccauley and Robert Craig Owen. View Institutional Ownership Trends for Southwestern Energy.
Who sold Southwestern Energy stock? Who is selling Southwestern Energy stock?
Southwestern Energy's stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Point72 Asset Management L.P., OxFORD Asset Management LLP, SG Americas Securities LLC, Riverpark Capital Management LLC, Engineers Gate Manager LP, Bridgecreek Investment Management LLC, Elm Ridge Management LLC and Pinebridge Investments L.P.. View Insider Buying and Selling for Southwestern Energy.
Who bought Southwestern Energy stock? Who is buying Southwestern Energy stock?
Southwestern Energy's stock was acquired by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Dimensional Fund Advisors LP, First Quadrant L P CA, Prudential Financial Inc., Cornerstone Capital Management Holdings LLC., Castleton Investment Management LLC, Evergreen Capital Management LLC, State of New Jersey Common Pension Fund D and Schwab Charles Investment Management Inc.. View Insider Buying and Selling for Southwestern Energy.
How do I buy Southwestern Energy stock?
Shares of Southwestern Energy can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages with access to the U.S. stock market include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is Southwestern Energy's stock price today?
One share of Southwestern Energy stock can currently be purchased for approximately $5.29.
How big of a company is Southwestern Energy?
Southwestern Energy has a market capitalization of $2.84 billion and generates $2.44 billion in revenue each year. The energy company earns $-2,643,000,000.00 in net income (profit) each year or $0.63 on an earnings per share basis. Southwestern Energy employs 1,469 workers across the globe.
How can I contact Southwestern Energy?
Southwestern Energy's mailing address is 10000 ENERGY DRIVE, SPRING TX, 77389. The energy company can be reached via phone at 832-796-1000 or via email at [email protected]
MarketBeat Community Rating for Southwestern Energy (SWN)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about Southwestern Energy and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe the stock will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe the stock will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.
Southwestern Energy (NYSE:SWN) Analysts' Consensus Rating (How are Consensus Ratings Calculated?)
MarketBeat calculates consensus analyst ratings for company stocks using the most recent rating from each brokerage that has rated a stock within the last twelve months. Since brokers often use different ratings systems, each rating is normalized to a standardized rating score of 1 (sell), 2 (hold), 3 (buy) or 4 (strong buy). Analyst consensus ratings scores are calculated using the mean average of the number of normalized sell, hold, buy and strong buy ratings from Wall Street analysts. Each stock's consensus analyst rating is derived from its calculated consensus ratings score (0-1.5 = Sell, 1.5-2.5 = Hold, 2.5-3.5 = Buy, >3.5 = Strong Buy). MarketBeat's consensus price targets are a mean average of the most recent available price targets set by each analyst that has set a price target for the stock in the last twelve months.
MarketBeat will no longer include ratings and price target data in its consensus calculation if a broker drops coverage and MarketBeat has received a report that coverage was dropped. Ratings from certain research firms that issue ratings using purely quantitative methods (such as Zacks, Vetr and ValuEngine) are not included in consensus calculations. MarketBeat's consensus ratings and consensus price targets may differ from those calculated by other firms due to differences in methodology and available data.
|Today||30 Days Ago||90 Days Ago||180 Days Ago|
|Consensus Rating: ||Hold||Hold||Hold||Hold|
|Consensus Rating Score: ||2.13||2.13||2.21||2.15|
|Ratings Breakdown: ||2 Sell Rating(s)|
22 Hold Rating(s)
6 Buy Rating(s)
0 Strong Buy Rating(s)
|3 Sell Rating(s)|
20 Hold Rating(s)
7 Buy Rating(s)
0 Strong Buy Rating(s)
|2 Sell Rating(s)|
19 Hold Rating(s)
8 Buy Rating(s)
0 Strong Buy Rating(s)
|4 Sell Rating(s)|
20 Hold Rating(s)
9 Buy Rating(s)
0 Strong Buy Rating(s)
|Consensus Price Target: ||$10.17||$11.88||$12.50||$13.08|
|Price Target Upside: ||74.99% upside||91.22% upside||111.51% upside||112.29% upside|
Southwestern Energy (NYSE:SWN) Consensus Price Target History
Southwestern Energy (NYSE:SWN) Analyst Ratings History
(Data available from 12/14/2015 forward)
Southwestern Energy (NYSE:SWN) Earnings History and Estimates Chart
Southwestern Energy (NYSE SWN) Earnings History by Quarter
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|10/26/2017||Q3 2017||$0.07||$0.06||$773.99 million||$737.00 million||View||N/A|
|8/3/2017||Q2 2017||$0.16||$0.08||$810.00 million||$811.00 million||View||Listen|
|4/27/2017||Q1 2017||$0.18||$0.18||$765.03 million||$846.00 million||View||N/A|
|2/23/2017||Q416||$0.12||$0.08||$645.55 million||$684.00 million||View||N/A|
|10/20/2016||Q316||$0.07||$0.03||$631.79 million||$651.00 million||View||N/A|
|7/22/2016||Q216||($0.10)||($0.09)||$517.49 million||$522.00 million||View||N/A|
|4/21/2016||Q116||($0.21)||($0.08)||$540.03 million||$579.00 million||View||N/A|
|2/25/2016||Q415||($0.05)||($0.02)||$782.33 million||$687.00 million||View||Listen|
|10/23/2015||Q315||($0.03)||$0.01||$805.44 million||$749.00 million||View||Listen|
|7/27/2015||Q215||$0.06||($0.02)||$807.99 million||$764.00 million||View||Listen|
|4/23/2015||Q115||$0.23||$0.22||$899.18 million||$933.00 million||View||N/A|
|2/27/2015||Q414||$0.50||$0.52||$949.12 million||$962.00 million||View||N/A|
|10/23/2014||Q314||$0.52||$0.50||$987.00 million||$928.00 million||View||N/A|
|7/31/2014||Q214||$0.59||$0.59||$978.69 million||$1.04 billion||View||N/A|
|5/1/2014||Q114||$0.63||$0.66||$935.27 million||$793.35 million||View||N/A|
|2/27/2014||Q413||$0.53||$0.54||$865.53 million||$649.37 million||View||N/A|
|10/31/2013||Q313||$0.51||$0.51||$827.30 million||$621.81 million||View||N/A|
|8/1/2013||Q2 2013||$0.52||$0.70||$780.71 million||$862.04 million||View||N/A|
|5/2/2013||Q1 2013||$0.38||$0.42||$667.15 million||$733.60 million||View||N/A|
|2/20/2013||Q4 2012||$0.44||$0.44||$712.60 million||$559.78 million||View||N/A|
|11/1/2012||Q312||$0.32||$0.38||$646.82 million||$685.85 million||View||N/A|
Southwestern Energy (NYSE:SWN) Earnings Estimates
2017 EPS Consensus Estimate: $0.56
2018 EPS Consensus Estimate: $0.86
(Data provided by Zacks Investment Research)
|Quarter||Number of Estimates||Low Estimate||High Estimate||Average Estimate|
Dividend History for Southwestern Energy (NYSE:SWN)
No dividend announcements for this company have been tracked by MarketBeat.com
Southwestern Energy (NYSE SWN) Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History
Insider Ownership Percentage: 1.16%
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 88.71%
Southwestern Energy (NYSE SWN) Insider Trades by Quarter
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Details|
|12/9/2016||Jennifer N Mccauley||SVP||Sell||3,611||$12.61||$45,534.71|| |
|12/6/2016||Robert Craig Owen||Insider||Sell||37,500||$12.22||$458,250.00|| |
|9/20/2016||Gregory D Kerley||Director||Sell||12,000||$14.34||$172,080.00|| |
|1/21/2015||Alan H Stevens||Director||Buy||1,000||$23.00||$23,000.00|| |
|1/21/2015||John C Ale||VP||Buy||2,000||$23.00||$46,000.00|| |
|1/21/2015||Paul W Geiger III||Insider||Buy||16,000||$23.00||$368,000.00|| |
|1/21/2015||Steven L Mueller||CEO||Buy||15,000||$23.00||$345,000.00|| |
|1/16/2015||Paul W Geiger III||Insider||Buy||20,000||$24.84||$496,800.00|| |
|6/20/2014||Vello A Kuuskraa||Director||Sell||15,000||$47.46||$711,900.00|| |
|6/6/2014||Vello A Kuuskraa||Director||Sell||3,574||$46.15||$164,940.10|| |
|6/3/2014||Gregory D Kerley||Director||Sell||50,000||$46.41||$2,320,500.00|| |
|5/22/2014||Gregory Kerley||Director||Sell||35,906||$45.08||$1,618,642.48|| |
|5/22/2014||John Bergeron, Jr.||Insider||Sell||11,046||$45.14||$498,616.44|| |
|3/31/2014||Jimmy Dewbre||Insider||Sell||2,729||$45.75||$124,851.75|| |
|3/19/2014||Harold Korell||Director||Sell||22,080||$45.32||$1,000,665.60|| |
|3/18/2014||James Bolander, Jr.||VP||Sell||7,134||$44.52||$317,605.68|| |
|3/18/2014||Kenneth Mourton||Director||Sell||13,513||$45.19||$610,652.47|| |
|12/18/2013||Joe Alan Stubblefield||Insider||Sell||23,792||$38.12||$906,951.04|| |
|12/16/2013||James Bolander, Jr.||VP||Sell||1,000||$37.90||$37,900.00|| |
|11/20/2013||Mark Boling||Insider||Sell||19,098||$37.85||$722,859.30|| |
|11/19/2013||Kenneth Mourton||Director||Sell||6,000||$36.75||$220,500.00|| |
|9/18/2013||Vello Kuuskraa||Director||Sell||4,389||$37.63||$165,158.07|| |
|9/12/2013||Harold Korell||Director||Sell||200,000||$38.34||$7,668,000.00|| |
|9/10/2013||Catherine A Kehr||Director||Buy||10,500||$37.86||$397,530.00|| |
|5/20/2013||Gregory D Kerley||Director||Sell||100,000||$39.50||$3,950,000.00|| |
|3/13/2013||Gregory D Kerley||Director||Sell||169,141||$37.72||$6,379,998.52|| |
|11/23/2012||Harold M Korell||Director||Sell||33,088||$36.25||$1,199,440.00|| |
|11/14/2012||Lewis E Epley Jr||Director||Sell||64,000||$35.08||$2,245,120.00|| |
|9/14/2012||John D Thaeler||Insider||Sell||100,000||$36.20||$3,620,000.00|| |
Southwestern Energy (NYSE SWN) News Headlines
Southwestern Energy (NYSE:SWN) SEC Filings
This page is loading this company's SEC Filings. Please wait...
Southwestern Energy (NYSE:SWN) Income Statement, Balance Sheet and Cash Flow Statement
Southwestern Energy (NYSE SWN) Stock Chart for Thursday, December, 14, 2017