Southwestern Energy Company is an energy company engaged in natural gas and oil exploration, development and production. The Company operates through two segments: Exploration and Production (E&P) and Midstream Services. Its operations in northeast Pennsylvania are primarily focused on the unconventional natural gas reservoir known as the Marcellus Shale. Through its affiliated midstream subsidiaries, it is engaged in natural gas gathering activities in Arkansas and Louisiana. Its operations are principally focused on the development of unconventional natural gas reservoirs located in Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Arkansas. As of December 31, 2016, its estimated proved natural gas and oil reserves were 5,253 billions of cubic feet equivalent (Bcfe). During the fiscal year ended December 31, 2016, it gathered approximately 600 billion cubic feet (Bcf) of natural gas in the Fayetteville Shale area, including 42 Bcf of natural gas from third-party operated wells.
Industry, Sector and Symbol:
- Sector: Oils/Energy
- Industry: Oil & Gas Exploration and Production
- Sub-Industry: Oil & Gas Exploration & Production
- Symbol: NYSE:SWN
- CUSIP: 84546710
- Web: www.swn.com
- Market Cap: $2.96845 billion
- Outstanding Shares: 498,201,000
- 50 Day Moving Avg: $5.44
- 200 Day Moving Avg: $6.50
- 52 Week Range: $5.00 - $14.98
Sales & Book Value:
- Trailing P/E Ratio: N/A
- Foreward P/E Ratio: 6.92
- P/E Growth: 0.52
- Annual Revenue: $2.99 billion
- Price / Sales: 1.00
- Book Value: ($0.20) per share
- Price / Book: -30.10
- EBIDTA: $1.09 billion
- Net Margins: -9.46%
- Return on Equity: 25.19%
- Return on Assets: 4.35%
- Debt-to-Equity Ratio: 2.76%
- Current Ratio: 1.92%
- Quick Ratio: 1.92%
- Average Volume: 16.70 million shs.
- Beta: 1.17
- Short Ratio: 2.53
Frequently Asked Questions for Southwestern Energy Company (NYSE:SWN)
What is Southwestern Energy Company's stock symbol?
Southwestern Energy Company trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "SWN."
How were Southwestern Energy Company's earnings last quarter?
Southwestern Energy Company (NYSE:SWN) released its quarterly earnings results on Thursday, August, 3rd. The company reported $0.08 earnings per share for the quarter, missing the Zacks' consensus estimate of $0.16 by $0.08. The company earned $811 million during the quarter, compared to analyst estimates of $810 million. Southwestern Energy Company had a positive return on equity of 25.19% and a negative net margin of 9.46%. The business's revenue was up 55.4% compared to the same quarter last year. During the same period last year, the firm earned ($0.09) earnings per share. View Southwestern Energy Company's Earnings History.
When will Southwestern Energy Company make its next earnings announcement?
Where is Southwestern Energy Company's stock going? Where will Southwestern Energy Company's stock price be in 2017?
24 brokers have issued 1-year price objectives for Southwestern Energy Company's shares. Their predictions range from $6.00 to $47.00. On average, they expect Southwestern Energy Company's stock price to reach $12.15 in the next twelve months. View Analyst Ratings for Southwestern Energy Company.
What are analysts saying about Southwestern Energy Company stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Southwestern Energy Company stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Since natural gas accounts for almost all of the Southwestern Energy’s reserves and production, its results are vulnerable to negative near-term outlook for the commodity. Moreover, an oversupplied U.S. natural gas market with low demand provides little space for the company to flourish. The company is facing pressure on top line. Over the past three years (2014–2016), total revenues declined at a CAGR of 22.3%. Continued pressure on oil and gas prices are the primarily reasons for decrease in revenues. We are also concerned with the company’s high debt load. At the end of the first quarter, the company’s debt balance stood at $4.4 billion compared with cash balance of $659.1 million in the balance sheet. In fact, the company’s debt-to-equity ratio is 341.5%, higher than the broader industry average of 99.4%." (7/27/2017)
- 2. National Securities analysts commented, "What Happened:
• In the 1st quarter of 2017, Southwestern produced at a rate of 2.3 billion cubic feet equivalent per day (Bcfe/d), while maintaining its 90% natural gas weighting. We note that this represents a 3% sequential increase on the quarter, while meeting our own production estimates as well.
• As it relates to pricing, SWN realized natural gas prices of $2.57 per Mcf on the quarter (post hedges), 24% higher than the prior quarter, while exceeding our projection of $2.07 per Mcf by the same amount. Looking forward, we estimate a narrowing to $2.31 per Mcf for the upcoming quarter, when incorporating current strip prices, and differentials to NYMEX gas prices.
• SWN announced a significant uptick in reserves in the quarter, growing to 10 trillion cubic feet equivalent (Tcfe) from 5.3, along with an increase in PV-10 value to $3 billion (from $1.6 billion)
• Looking forward, we model an 8% increase in production to 2.5 Bcfe per day, though we expect a contraction in revenues, driven by our expectations for lower prices in 2Q17. For all of 2017 however, we project that Southwestern’s revenue will expand 35% largely driven by higher production volumes.
• The unexpected announcement of a near doubling of Southwestern’s reserve base (following a 15% reduction to close 2016), positions the company well for the remainder of 2017. While we note that the reserve number is unaudited (and thus discounted in our own valuation), we do not doubt the validity of the figures, nor the decision to announce the figure early. Investors should note that traditionally, revisions in reserves (whether up or down), are generally reserved for the end of the year. However, given the large increase, it seems prudent that SWN would announce now, rather than wait until 2017 has concluded.
• To that end, an audit of a company’s reserves will generally use the first day’s pricing, of the prior 12 months to estimate both reserve quantities, as well as PV-10 (often times used as a proxy for discounted projected cash flows). That methodology in this instance is overly conservative for SWN in our view.
• By that we mean that given the trajectory of natural gas prices during 2016, SWN received a downward revision in reserves that doesn’t accurately reflect the company’s forward looking prospects, in our view. Specifically, we note that the average natural gas price for 2016 was $2.62 per Mcf (2% lower than 2015). However, we contend that the full year average was held down in large measure by the $2.16 per Mcf averaged in the first half of the year. By contrast, natural gas prices were much stronger in the 2nd half of 2016, averaging $3.06 per Mcf between July and December. Additionally, as we look to the forward strip, we highlight average prices of $3.37 per Mcf for the remainder of the year. And while we acknowledge that the strip itself is not to be used as a prognosticator of future settlement prices, we expect that SWN will use the futures strip as a mechanism to lock in higher natural gas prices via its hedge book. As it stands we note that SWN has 50% of its remaining production hedged above current strip prices, and fully expect the company to be opportunistic for 2018 and 2019 production as well.
• We arrive at our price target using a blended average of Southwestern’s daily production, proved reserves, and projected EBITDA. In doing so, we arrive at our $14 target. Additionally, our model adds $1.35 for a working capital surplus, while deducting $6.59 per share for net debt. Given the implied upside to our target, we reiterate our BUY rating.
- 3. KLR Group analysts commented, "We are increasing our SWN target price $2 to $15 per share due to an incremental 10% capital allocation to Appalachia, which corresponds to an approximate 10% improvement in overall capital intensity. Our '17 production outlook of ~899 Bcfe is slightly below the midpoint of company guidance (890-910 Bcfe)." (2/27/2017)
Are investors shorting Southwestern Energy Company?
Southwestern Energy Company saw a decline in short interest in the month of August. As of August 31st, there was short interest totalling 42,310,536 shares, a decline of 7.8% from the August 15th total of 45,891,760 shares. Based on an average daily trading volume, of 13,081,166 shares, the short-interest ratio is currently 3.2 days. Currently, 8.4% of the shares of the company are sold short.
Who are some of Southwestern Energy Company's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Southwestern Energy Company include Rice Energy (RICE), Newfield Exploration Company (NFX), RSP Permian (RSPP), Energen Corporation (EGN), Range Resources Corporation (RRC), Murphy Oil Corporation (MUR), Vermilion Energy (VET), WPX Energy (WPX), Chesapeake Energy Corporation (CHK), Texas Pacific Land Trust (TPL), Laredo Petroleum (LPI), Transportadora De Gas Sa Ord B (TGS), Kosmos Energy (KOS), PDC Energy (PDCE), Matador Resources Company (MTDR), Gulfport Energy Corporation (GPOR), Enerplus Corporation (ERF) and Magellan Petroleum Corporation (TELL).
Who are Southwestern Energy Company's key executives?
Southwestern Energy Company's management team includes the folowing people:
- Catherine A. Kehr, Independent Chairman of the Board
- William J. Way, President, Chief Executive Officer, Director
- Mark K. Boling, Executive Vice President, President - V+ Development Solutions
- John C. Ale, Senior Vice President, General Counsel, Corporate Secretary
- John E. Bergeron Jr., Senior Vice President – E&P Operations
- Randall L. Curry, Senior Vice President – Midstream
- Paul W. Geiger III, Senior Vice President – Corporate Development
- Jennifer N. Mccauley, Senior Vice President – Administration
- James W. Vick, Senior Vice President – Business Information Systems
- C. Greg Stoute, Vice President – Health, Safety, Environmental and Regulatory
Who owns Southwestern Energy Company stock?
Southwestern Energy Company's stock is owned by a number of of retail and institutional investors. Top institutional shareholders include Vanguard Group Inc. (9.31%), Capital Research Global Investors (6.49%), FMR LLC (4.29%), State Street Corp (4.16%), Capital World Investors (1.80%) and Sterling Capital Management LLC (1.69%). Company insiders that own Southwestern Energy Company stock include Gregory D Kerley, Jennifer N Mccauley and Robert Craig Owen. View Institutional Ownership Trends for Southwestern Energy Company.
Who sold Southwestern Energy Company stock? Who is selling Southwestern Energy Company stock?
Southwestern Energy Company's stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Capital Research Global Investors, Vanguard Group Inc., State Street Corp, Dimensional Fund Advisors LP, Key Group Holdings Cayman LTD., FMR LLC, Capital Fund Management S.A. and JPMorgan Chase & Co.. Company insiders that have sold Southwestern Energy Company stock in the last year include Jennifer N Mccauley and Robert Craig Owen. View Insider Buying and Selling for Southwestern Energy Company.
Who bought Southwestern Energy Company stock? Who is buying Southwestern Energy Company stock?
Southwestern Energy Company's stock was bought by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Bridgewater Associates LP, Sterling Capital Management LLC, State of New Jersey Common Pension Fund D, Marshall Wace North America L.P., Disciplined Growth Investors Inc. MN, AJO LP, Ontario Teachers Pension Plan Board and Principal Financial Group Inc.. View Insider Buying and Selling for Southwestern Energy Company.
How do I buy Southwestern Energy Company stock?
Shares of Southwestern Energy Company can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is Southwestern Energy Company's stock price today?
MarketBeat Community Rating for Southwestern Energy Company (NYSE SWN)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about Southwestern Energy Company and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe the stock will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe the stock will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.
One share of Southwestern Energy Company stock can currently be purchased for approximately $6.02.
Consensus Ratings for Southwestern Energy Company (NYSE:SWN) (How are Consensus Ratings Calculated?)
MarketBeat calculates consensus ratings using the most recent rating from each brokerage that has rated a stock within the last twelve months. Since brokers often use different ratings systems, each rating is normalized to a standardized rating score of 1 (sell), 2 (hold), 3 (buy) or 4 (strong buy). Consensus ratings scores are calculated using the mean average of the number of normalized sell, hold, buy and strong buy ratings. Each stock's consensus rating is derived from its calculated consensus ratings score (0-1.5 = Sell, 1.5-2.5 = Hold, 2.5-3.5 = Buy, >3.5 = Strong Buy). MarketBeat's consensus price targets are a mean average of the most recent available price targets set by each analyst that has set a price target for the stock in the last twelve months.
MarketBeat will no longer include ratings and price target data in its consensus calculation if a broker drops coverage and MarketBeat has received a report that coverage was dropped. Ratings from certain research firms that issue ratings using purely quantitative methods (such as Zacks, Vetr and ValuEngine) are not included in consensus calculations. MarketBeat's consensus ratings and consensus price targets may differ from those calculated by other firms due to differences in methodology and available data.
|Ratings Breakdown: ||2 Sell Ratings, 14 Hold Ratings, 8 Buy Ratings|
|Consensus Rating:||Hold (Score: 2.25)|
|Consensus Price Target: ||$12.15 (101.83% upside)|
Analysts' Ratings History for Southwestern Energy Company (NYSE:SWN)
(Data available from 9/23/2015 forward)
|Date||Firm||Action||Rating||Price Target||Impact on Share Price||Details|
|9/20/2017||Wolfe Research||Upgrade||Underperform -> Market Perform||$6.00 -> $7.00||Low|
|9/18/2017||Piper Jaffray Companies||Lower Price Target||Neutral||$8.00 -> $6.00||Low|
|9/14/2017||Stifel Nicolaus||Reiterated Rating||Buy||Low|
|9/12/2017||Cowen and Company||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$9.00||Low|
|8/8/2017||Royal Bank Of Canada||Set Price Target||Hold||$8.00||Medium|
|8/7/2017||Scotiabank||Set Price Target||Hold||$8.00||Low|
|7/21/2017||Citigroup Inc.||Lower Price Target||Buy||$9.00 -> $8.00||Low|
|7/7/2017||Barclays PLC||Reiterated Rating||Hold||$6.00||High|
|6/27/2017||BMO Capital Markets||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$8.00||Medium|
|5/2/2017||Iberia Capital||Boost Price Target||Sector Perform||$9.00 -> $10.00||Low|
|5/1/2017||National Securities||Reiterated Rating||Buy -> Buy||$14.00 -> $14.00||Low|
|4/4/2017||Jefferies Group LLC||Reiterated Rating||Hold||$8.00||High|
|3/18/2017||Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group||Set Price Target||Hold||$12.00 -> $10.00||Low|
|3/7/2017||Deutsche Bank AG||Lower Price Target||Hold||$14.00 -> $11.00||N/A|
|2/28/2017||Sanford C. Bernstein||Downgrade||Outperform -> Market Perform||N/A|
|2/27/2017||KLR Group||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$13.00 -> $15.00||N/A|
|2/25/2017||Raymond James Financial, Inc.||Reiterated Rating||Hold||N/A|
|1/25/2017||Credit Suisse Group||Initiated Coverage||Underperform||$47.00||N/A|
|1/4/2017||Bank of America Corporation||Downgrade||Neutral -> Underperform||$16.00 -> $9.00||N/A|
|12/2/2016||Tudor Pickering||Downgrade||Buy -> Hold||N/A|
|11/28/2016||Robert W. Baird||Upgrade||Market Perform -> Outperform||$18.00||N/A|
|9/28/2016||GMP Securities||Initiated Coverage||Hold||$11.00||N/A|
|7/25/2016||Nomura||Reiterated Rating||Neutral||$13.00 -> $15.00||N/A|
|7/25/2016||Howard Weil||Boost Price Target||Sector Perform||$13.00 -> $16.00||N/A|
|7/22/2016||Stephens||Upgrade||Underweight -> Equal Weight||N/A|
|7/22/2016||J P Morgan Chase & Co||Upgrade||Underweight -> Neutral||$12.00 -> $14.00||N/A|
|7/8/2016||Seaport Global Securities||Upgrade||Sell -> Neutral||N/A|
|4/26/2016||Simmons||Reiterated Rating||Neutral||$10.00 -> $12.00||N/A|
|2/18/2016||Drexel Hamilton||Initiated Coverage||Buy||$13.00||N/A|
|2/10/2016||Sterne Agee CRT||Boost Price Target||Underperform||$3.00 -> $5.00||N/A|
|2/2/2016||SunTrust Banks, Inc.||Downgrade||Buy -> Neutral||$17.00 -> $9.00||N/A|
|1/19/2016||Capital One Financial Corporation||Downgrade||Overweight -> Equal Weight||N/A|
|12/22/2015||Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Inc||Reiterated Rating||Neutral||N/A|
|12/3/2015||Susquehanna Bancshares Inc||Lower Price Target||Neutral||$12.50 -> $9.00||N/A|
|11/10/2015||Oppenheimer Holdings, Inc.||Reiterated Rating||Hold||N/A|
Earnings History for Southwestern Energy Company (NYSE:SWN)Earnings History by Quarter for Southwestern Energy Company (NYSE SWN)
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|8/3/2017||Q2 2017||$0.16||$0.08||$810.00 million||$811.00 million||View||Listen|
|4/27/2017||Q1 2017||$0.18||$0.18||$765.03 million||$846.00 million||View||N/A|
|2/23/2017||Q416||$0.12||$0.08||$645.55 million||$684.00 million||View||N/A|
|10/20/2016||Q316||$0.07||$0.03||$631.79 million||$651.00 million||View||N/A|
|7/22/2016||Q216||($0.10)||($0.09)||$517.49 million||$522.00 million||View||N/A|
|4/21/2016||Q116||($0.21)||($0.08)||$540.03 million||$579.00 million||View||N/A|
|2/25/2016||Q415||($0.05)||($0.02)||$782.33 million||$687.00 million||View||Listen|
|10/23/2015||Q315||($0.03)||$0.01||$805.44 million||$749.00 million||View||Listen|
|7/27/2015||Q215||$0.06||($0.02)||$807.99 million||$764.00 million||View||Listen|
|4/23/2015||Q115||$0.23||$0.22||$899.18 million||$933.00 million||View||N/A|
|2/27/2015||Q414||$0.50||$0.52||$949.12 million||$962.00 million||View||N/A|
|10/23/2014||Q314||$0.52||$0.50||$987.00 million||$928.00 million||View||N/A|
|7/31/2014||Q214||$0.59||$0.59||$978.69 million||$1.04 billion||View||N/A|
|5/1/2014||Q114||$0.63||$0.66||$935.27 million||$793.35 million||View||N/A|
|2/27/2014||Q413||$0.53||$0.54||$865.53 million||$649.37 million||View||N/A|
|10/31/2013||Q313||$0.51||$0.51||$827.30 million||$621.81 million||View||N/A|
|8/1/2013||Q2 2013||$0.52||$0.70||$780.71 million||$862.04 million||View||N/A|
|5/2/2013||Q1 2013||$0.38||$0.42||$667.15 million||$733.60 million||View||N/A|
|2/20/2013||Q4 2012||$0.44||$0.44||$712.60 million||$559.78 million||View||N/A|
|11/1/2012||Q312||$0.32||$0.38||$646.82 million||$685.85 million||View||N/A|
Earnings Estimates for Southwestern Energy Company (NYSE:SWN)
2017 EPS Consensus Estimate: $0.64
2018 EPS Consensus Estimate: $0.91
(Data provided by Zacks Investment Research)
|Quarter||Number of Estimates||Low Estimate||High Estimate||Average Estimate|
Dividend History for Southwestern Energy Company (NYSE:SWN)
No dividend announcements for this company have been tracked by MarketBeat.com
Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History for Southwestern Energy Company (NYSE:SWN)
Insider Ownership Percentage: 1.16%Insider Trades by Quarter for Southwestern Energy Company (NYSE:SWN)
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 89.50%
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Details|
|12/9/2016||Jennifer N Mccauley||SVP||Sell||3,611||$12.61||$45,534.71|| |
|12/6/2016||Robert Craig Owen||Insider||Sell||37,500||$12.22||$458,250.00|| |
|9/20/2016||Gregory D Kerley||Director||Sell||12,000||$14.34||$172,080.00|| |
|1/21/2015||Alan H Stevens||Director||Buy||1,000||$23.00||$23,000.00|| |
|1/21/2015||John C Ale||VP||Buy||2,000||$23.00||$46,000.00|| |
|1/21/2015||Paul W Geiger III||Insider||Buy||16,000||$23.00||$368,000.00|| |
|1/21/2015||Steven L Mueller||CEO||Buy||15,000||$23.00||$345,000.00|| |
|1/16/2015||Paul W Geiger III||Insider||Buy||20,000||$24.84||$496,800.00|| |
|6/20/2014||Vello A Kuuskraa||Director||Sell||15,000||$47.46||$711,900.00|| |
|6/6/2014||Vello A Kuuskraa||Director||Sell||3,574||$46.15||$164,940.10|| |
|6/3/2014||Gregory D Kerley||Director||Sell||50,000||$46.41||$2,320,500.00|| |
|5/22/2014||Gregory Kerley||Director||Sell||35,906||$45.08||$1,618,642.48|| |
|5/22/2014||John Bergeron, Jr.||Insider||Sell||11,046||$45.14||$498,616.44|| |
|3/31/2014||Jimmy Dewbre||Insider||Sell||2,729||$45.75||$124,851.75|| |
|3/19/2014||Harold Korell||Director||Sell||22,080||$45.32||$1,000,665.60|| |
|3/18/2014||James Bolander, Jr.||VP||Sell||7,134||$44.52||$317,605.68|| |
|3/18/2014||Kenneth Mourton||Director||Sell||13,513||$45.19||$610,652.47|| |
|12/18/2013||Joe Alan Stubblefield||Insider||Sell||23,792||$38.12||$906,951.04|| |
|12/16/2013||James Bolander, Jr.||VP||Sell||1,000||$37.90||$37,900.00|| |
|11/20/2013||Mark Boling||Insider||Sell||19,098||$37.85||$722,859.30|| |
|11/19/2013||Kenneth Mourton||Director||Sell||6,000||$36.75||$220,500.00|| |
|9/18/2013||Vello Kuuskraa||Director||Sell||4,389||$37.63||$165,158.07|| |
|9/12/2013||Harold Korell||Director||Sell||200,000||$38.34||$7,668,000.00|| |
|9/10/2013||Catherine A Kehr||Director||Buy||10,500||$37.86||$397,530.00|| |
|5/20/2013||Gregory D Kerley||Director||Sell||100,000||$39.50||$3,950,000.00|| |
|3/13/2013||Gregory D Kerley||Director||Sell||169,141||$37.72||$6,379,998.52|| |
|11/23/2012||Harold M Korell||Director||Sell||33,088||$36.25||$1,199,440.00|| |
|11/14/2012||Lewis E Epley Jr||Director||Sell||64,000||$35.08||$2,245,120.00|| |
|9/14/2012||John D Thaeler||Insider||Sell||100,000||$36.20||$3,620,000.00|| |
Headline Trends for Southwestern Energy Company (NYSE:SWN)
Latest Headlines for Southwestern Energy Company (NYSE:SWN)
Southwestern Energy Company (SWN) Chart for Saturday, September, 23, 2017