About Southwestern Energy (NYSE:SWN)
Southwestern Energy Company, an independent energy company, engages in the exploration, development, and production of natural gas and oil in the United States. It operates through two segments, Exploration and Production, and Midstream. The company focuses on the Marcellus Shale, an unconventional natural gas reservoir covering approximately 191,226 net acres in Northeast Appalachia; Marcellus Shale, Utica, and Upper Devonian unconventional natural gas and oil reservoirs covering approximately 290,291 net acres in Southwest Appalachia; and the Fayetteville Shale, an unconventional natural gas reservoir covering approximately 917,842 net acres in Arkansas. It also holds interest in properties located in Colorado and Louisiana. In addition, the company engages in gathering, marketing, and transporting natural gas, oil, and natural gas liquids (NGLs). As of December 31, 2017, it had a pipeline of 2,045 miles and 16 miles in Louisiana in its gathering systems. The company's estimated proved natural gas, oil, and NGLs reserves comprise 14,775 billion cubic feet of natural gas equivalent (Bcfe); and 6,855 Bcfe of proved undeveloped reserves. Southwestern Energy Company was founded in 1929 and is headquartered in Spring, Texas.
Industry, Sector and Symbol
Industry Crude petroleum & natural gas
Sub-IndustryOil & Gas Exploration & Production
Trailing P/E Ratio9.66
Forward P/E Ratio5.74
Sales & Book Value
Annual Sales$3.20 billion
Price / Sales0.78
Cash Flow$1.2463 per share
Price / Cash3.41
Book Value$3.37 per share
Price / Book1.26
EPS (Most Recent Fiscal Year)$0.44
Net Income$1.05 billion
Return on Equity21.54%
Return on Assets4.80%
Southwestern Energy (NYSE:SWN) Frequently Asked Questions
What is Southwestern Energy's stock symbol?
Southwestern Energy trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "SWN."
How were Southwestern Energy's earnings last quarter?
Southwestern Energy (NYSE:SWN) issued its quarterly earnings data on Thursday, March, 1st. The energy company reported $0.12 earnings per share for the quarter, beating the consensus estimate of $0.09 by $0.03. The energy company had revenue of $809 million for the quarter, compared to analyst estimates of $802.77 million. Southwestern Energy had a net margin of 30.57% and a return on equity of 21.54%. The company's revenue for the quarter was up 18.3% on a year-over-year basis. During the same quarter last year, the firm earned $0.08 earnings per share. View Southwestern Energy's Earnings History.
When is Southwestern Energy's next earnings date?
What price target have analysts set for SWN?
24 brokerages have issued 1 year target prices for Southwestern Energy's shares. Their forecasts range from $2.00 to $14.00. On average, they anticipate Southwestern Energy's share price to reach $6.7559 in the next twelve months. View Analyst Ratings for Southwestern Energy.
What are Wall Street analysts saying about Southwestern Energy stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Southwestern Energy stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Southwestern Energy enjoys strong acreage positions in the Fayetteville and Marcellus shales, which offer ample opportunities for newer natural gas discoveries. The economies of scale help the company drive growth rapidly. We also appreciate the company’s continuous efforts to reduce operating costs. In terms of EV/EBITDA ratio the company seems undervalued. The company’s total proved reserves, as of Dec 31, 2018, was recorded at 14,775 Bcfe, significantly higher than 5,253 Bcfe in the year-earlier period. However, Southwestern Energy’s share price has lagged the broader market indices, over the last year. Since natural gas accounts for almost all of the company’s reserves and production, its results are vulnerable to the volatile commodity price. We also remain concerned about Southwestern Energy’s high debt load." (4/5/2018)
- 2. National Securities analysts commented, "What Happened:
• In the 1st quarter of 2017, Southwestern produced at a rate of 2.3 billion cubic feet equivalent per day (Bcfe/d), while maintaining its 90% natural gas weighting. We note that this represents a 3% sequential increase on the quarter, while meeting our own production estimates as well.
• As it relates to pricing, SWN realized natural gas prices of $2.57 per Mcf on the quarter (post hedges), 24% higher than the prior quarter, while exceeding our projection of $2.07 per Mcf by the same amount. Looking forward, we estimate a narrowing to $2.31 per Mcf for the upcoming quarter, when incorporating current strip prices, and differentials to NYMEX gas prices.
• SWN announced a significant uptick in reserves in the quarter, growing to 10 trillion cubic feet equivalent (Tcfe) from 5.3, along with an increase in PV-10 value to $3 billion (from $1.6 billion)
• Looking forward, we model an 8% increase in production to 2.5 Bcfe per day, though we expect a contraction in revenues, driven by our expectations for lower prices in 2Q17. For all of 2017 however, we project that Southwestern’s revenue will expand 35% largely driven by higher production volumes.
• The unexpected announcement of a near doubling of Southwestern’s reserve base (following a 15% reduction to close 2016), positions the company well for the remainder of 2017. While we note that the reserve number is unaudited (and thus discounted in our own valuation), we do not doubt the validity of the figures, nor the decision to announce the figure early. Investors should note that traditionally, revisions in reserves (whether up or down), are generally reserved for the end of the year. However, given the large increase, it seems prudent that SWN would announce now, rather than wait until 2017 has concluded.
• To that end, an audit of a company’s reserves will generally use the first day’s pricing, of the prior 12 months to estimate both reserve quantities, as well as PV-10 (often times used as a proxy for discounted projected cash flows). That methodology in this instance is overly conservative for SWN in our view.
• By that we mean that given the trajectory of natural gas prices during 2016, SWN received a downward revision in reserves that doesn’t accurately reflect the company’s forward looking prospects, in our view. Specifically, we note that the average natural gas price for 2016 was $2.62 per Mcf (2% lower than 2015). However, we contend that the full year average was held down in large measure by the $2.16 per Mcf averaged in the first half of the year. By contrast, natural gas prices were much stronger in the 2nd half of 2016, averaging $3.06 per Mcf between July and December. Additionally, as we look to the forward strip, we highlight average prices of $3.37 per Mcf for the remainder of the year. And while we acknowledge that the strip itself is not to be used as a prognosticator of future settlement prices, we expect that SWN will use the futures strip as a mechanism to lock in higher natural gas prices via its hedge book. As it stands we note that SWN has 50% of its remaining production hedged above current strip prices, and fully expect the company to be opportunistic for 2018 and 2019 production as well.
• We arrive at our price target using a blended average of Southwestern’s daily production, proved reserves, and projected EBITDA. In doing so, we arrive at our $14 target. Additionally, our model adds $1.35 for a working capital surplus, while deducting $6.59 per share for net debt. Given the implied upside to our target, we reiterate our BUY rating.
Are investors shorting Southwestern Energy?
Southwestern Energy saw a increase in short interest during the month of March. As of March 29th, there was short interest totalling 50,906,879 shares, an increase of 4.6% from the March 15th total of 53,334,202 shares. Based on an average daily volume of 15,950,696 shares, the days-to-cover ratio is presently 3.2 days. Approximately 8.7% of the shares of the company are short sold.
Who are some of Southwestern Energy's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Southwestern Energy include Crescent Point Energy (CPG), Vermilion Energy (VET), ARC Resources (AETUF), PDC Energy (PDCE), Whiting Petroleum (WLL), Matador Resources (MTDR), Black Stone Minerals (BSM), Range Resources (RRC), Viper Energy Partners (VNOM), Oasis Petroleum (OAS), Jagged Peak Energy (JAG), Qep Resources (QEP), Enerplus (ERF), Callon Petroleum (CPE), Kosmos Energy (KOS), Chesapeake Energy (CHK), WildHorse Resource Development (WRD) and Laredo Petroleum (LPI).
Who are Southwestern Energy's key executives?
Southwestern Energy's management team includes the folowing people:
- Mr. William J. Way, Pres, CEO & Director
- Mr. John C. Ale, Sr. VP, Gen. Counsel & Sec.
- Mr. John E. Bergeron Jr., Sr. VP of E&P Operations
- Mr. Julian Mark Bott, Exec. VP & CFO
- Mr. Clayton A. Carrell, Exec. VP & COO
Has Southwestern Energy been receiving favorable news coverage?
Headlines about SWN stock have been trending somewhat positive this week, according to Accern. The research group identifies positive and negative news coverage by reviewing more than twenty million news and blog sources in real-time. Accern ranks coverage of publicly-traded companies on a scale of negative one to one, with scores closest to one being the most favorable. Southwestern Energy earned a news impact score of 0.07 on Accern's scale. They also gave media stories about the energy company an impact score of 46.19 out of 100, meaning that recent news coverage is somewhat unlikely to have an effect on the stock's share price in the next several days.
How do I buy shares of Southwestern Energy?
Shares of SWN can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages with access to the U.S. stock market include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is Southwestern Energy's stock price today?
One share of SWN stock can currently be purchased for approximately $4.25.
How big of a company is Southwestern Energy?
Southwestern Energy has a market capitalization of $2.50 billion and generates $3.20 billion in revenue each year. The energy company earns $1.05 billion in net income (profit) each year or $0.44 on an earnings per share basis. Southwestern Energy employs 1,575 workers across the globe.
How can I contact Southwestern Energy?
Southwestern Energy's mailing address is 10000 ENERGY DRIVE, SPRING TX, 77389. The energy company can be reached via phone at 832-796-1000 or via email at [email protected]
MarketBeat Community Rating for Southwestern Energy (SWN)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about Southwestern Energy and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe SWN will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe SWN will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.
Southwestern Energy (NYSE:SWN) Price Target and Consensus Rating (How are Consensus Ratings Calculated?)
MarketBeat calculates consensus analyst ratings for stocks using the most recent rating from each Wall Street analyst that has rated a stock within the last twelve months. Each analyst's rating is normalized to a standardized rating score of 1 (sell), 2 (hold), 3 (buy) or 4 (strong buy). Analyst consensus ratings scores are calculated using the mean average of the number of normalized sell, hold, buy and strong buy ratings from Wall Street analysts. Each stock's consensus analyst rating is derived from its calculated consensus ratings score (0-1.5 = Sell, 1.5-2.5 = Hold, 2.5-3.5 = Buy, >3.5 = Strong Buy). MarketBeat's consensus price targets are a mean average of the most recent available price targets set by each analyst that has set a price target for the stock in the last twelve months. MarketBeat's consensus ratings and consensus price targets may differ from those calculated by other firms due to differences in methodology and available data.
24 Wall Street analysts have issued ratings and price targets for Southwestern Energy in the last 12 months. Their average twelve-month price target is $6.7559, suggesting that the stock has a possible upside of 58.96%. The high price target for SWN is $14.00 and the low price target for SWN is $2.00. There are currently 6 sell ratings, 13 hold ratings and 5 buy ratings for the stock, resulting in a consensus rating of "Hold."
|Today||30 Days Ago||90 Days Ago||180 Days Ago|
|Consensus Rating: ||Hold||Hold||Hold||Hold|
|Consensus Rating Score: ||1.96||1.92||2.18||2.12|
|Ratings Breakdown: ||6 Sell Rating(s)|
13 Hold Rating(s)
5 Buy Rating(s)
0 Strong Buy Rating(s)
|7 Sell Rating(s)|
12 Hold Rating(s)
5 Buy Rating(s)
0 Strong Buy Rating(s)
|2 Sell Rating(s)|
14 Hold Rating(s)
6 Buy Rating(s)
0 Strong Buy Rating(s)
|4 Sell Rating(s)|
14 Hold Rating(s)
7 Buy Rating(s)
0 Strong Buy Rating(s)
|Consensus Price Target: ||$6.7559||$6.9361||$8.7778||$11.3333|
|Price Target Upside: ||58.96% upside||62.06% upside||67.84% upside||110.66% upside|
Southwestern Energy (NYSE:SWN) Consensus Price Target History
Southwestern Energy (NYSE:SWN) Analyst Ratings History
(Data available from 4/22/2016 forward)
Southwestern Energy (NYSE:SWN) Dividend History by Quarter
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Announced||Period||Amount||Yield||Ex-Dividend Date||Record Date||Payable Date|
Southwestern Energy (NYSE SWN) Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History
Insider Ownership Percentage: 1.16%
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 80.66%
Southwestern Energy (NYSE SWN) Insider Trading History
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Shares Held After Transaction||Details|
|12/9/2016||Jennifer N Mccauley||SVP||Sell||3,611||$12.61||$45,534.71||21,399|| |
|12/6/2016||Robert Craig Owen||Insider||Sell||37,500||$12.22||$458,250.00||101,649|| |
|9/20/2016||Gregory D Kerley||Director||Sell||12,000||$14.34||$172,080.00||312,064|| |
|1/21/2015||Alan H Stevens||Director||Buy||1,000||$23.00||$23,000.00|| |
|1/21/2015||John C Ale||VP||Buy||2,000||$23.00||$46,000.00|| |
|1/21/2015||Paul W Geiger III||Insider||Buy||16,000||$23.00||$368,000.00|| |
|1/21/2015||Steven L Mueller||CEO||Buy||15,000||$23.00||$345,000.00|| |
|1/16/2015||Paul W Geiger III||Insider||Buy||20,000||$24.84||$496,800.00|| |
|6/20/2014||Vello A Kuuskraa||Director||Sell||15,000||$47.46||$711,900.00|| |
|6/6/2014||Vello A Kuuskraa||Director||Sell||3,574||$46.15||$164,940.10|| |
|6/3/2014||Gregory D Kerley||Director||Sell||50,000||$46.41||$2,320,500.00|| |
|5/22/2014||Gregory Kerley||Director||Sell||35,906||$45.08||$1,618,642.48||349,900|| |
|5/22/2014||John Bergeron, Jr.||Insider||Sell||11,046||$45.14||$498,616.44||25,622|| |
|3/31/2014||Jimmy Dewbre||Insider||Sell||2,729||$45.75||$124,851.75||63,217|| |
|3/19/2014||Harold Korell||Director||Sell||22,080||$45.32||$1,000,665.60||148,504|| |
|3/18/2014||James Bolander, Jr.||VP||Sell||7,134||$44.52||$317,605.68||18,314|| |
|3/18/2014||Kenneth Mourton||Director||Sell||13,513||$45.19||$610,652.47||301,744|| |
|12/18/2013||Joe Alan Stubblefield||Insider||Sell||23,792||$38.12||$906,951.04||64,663|| |
|12/16/2013||James Bolander, Jr.||VP||Sell||1,000||$37.90||$37,900.00||25,448|| |
|11/20/2013||Mark Boling||Insider||Sell||19,098||$37.85||$722,859.30||422,010|| |
|11/19/2013||Kenneth Mourton||Director||Sell||6,000||$36.75||$220,500.00||300,550|| |
|9/18/2013||Vello Kuuskraa||Director||Sell||4,389||$37.63||$165,158.07||113,421|| |
|9/12/2013||Harold Korell||Director||Sell||200,000||$38.34||$7,668,000.00||146,168|| |
|9/10/2013||Catherine A Kehr||Director||Buy||10,500||$37.86||$397,530.00|| |
|5/20/2013||Gregory D Kerley||Director||Sell||100,000||$39.50||$3,950,000.00|| |
|3/13/2013||Gregory D Kerley||Director||Sell||169,141||$37.72||$6,379,998.52|| |
|11/23/2012||Harold M Korell||Director||Sell||33,088||$36.25||$1,199,440.00|| |
|11/14/2012||Lewis E Epley Jr||Director||Sell||64,000||$35.08||$2,245,120.00|| |
|9/14/2012||John D Thaeler||Insider||Sell||100,000||$36.20||$3,620,000.00|| |
Southwestern Energy (NYSE SWN) News Headlines
Southwestern Energy (NYSE:SWN) SEC Filings
This page is loading this company's SEC Filings. Please wait...
Southwestern Energy (NYSE:SWN) Income Statement, Balance Sheet and Cash Flow Statement
Southwestern Energy (NYSE SWN) Stock Chart for Sunday, April, 22, 2018