AveXis, Inc. is a clinical-stage gene therapy company. The Company operates through the developing and commercializing gene therapy treatments for patients suffering from neurological genetic diseases segment. The Company's product candidate, AVXS-101, is its gene therapy product candidate that is in a Phase I clinical trial for the treatment of spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) Type 1, which is a genetic disorder characterized by motor neuron loss and associated muscle deterioration. The survival motor neuron (SMN) is a protein for normal motor neuron signaling and function. Patients with SMA Type 1 either have experienced a deletion of their SMN1 genes, which prevents them from producing adequate levels of functional SMN protein, or carry a mutation in their SMN1 gene. AVXS-101 is designed to deliver a functional human SMN gene into the nuclei of motor neurons that then generates an increase in SMN protein levels.
Industry, Sector and Symbol:
- Sector: Medical
- Industry: Bio Therapeutic Drugs
- Sub-Industry: N/A
- Symbol: NASDAQ:AVXS
- CUSIP: N/A
- Web: www.avexis.com
- Market Cap: $2.94001 billion
- Outstanding Shares: 27,739,000
- 50 Day Moving Avg: $86.47
- 200 Day Moving Avg: $74.75
- 52 Week Range: $31.55 - $97.77
Sales & Book Value:
- Trailing P/E Ratio: N/A
- Foreward P/E Ratio: -22.45
- P/E Growth: -1.74
- Annual Revenue: N/A
- Price / Sales: N/A
- Book Value: $8.89 per share
- Price / Book: 10.51
- EBIDTA: ($134,530,000.00)
- Return on Equity: -45.63%
- Return on Assets: -42.21%
- Current Ratio: 15.62%
- Quick Ratio: 15.62%
- Average Volume: 565,345 shs.
- Beta: 2.98
- Short Ratio: 6.5
Frequently Asked Questions for AveXis (NASDAQ:AVXS)
What is AveXis' stock symbol?
AveXis trades on the NASDAQ under the ticker symbol "AVXS."
How were AveXis' earnings last quarter?
AveXis, Inc. (NASDAQ:AVXS) released its quarterly earnings data on Thursday, August, 10th. The company reported ($2.07) EPS for the quarter, missing the Thomson Reuters' consensus estimate of ($0.97) by $1.10. During the same quarter last year, the firm earned ($0.68) EPS. View AveXis' Earnings History.
Where is AveXis' stock going? Where will AveXis' stock price be in 2017?
10 brokerages have issued 1 year price objectives for AveXis' shares. Their forecasts range from $65.00 to $130.00. On average, they anticipate AveXis' share price to reach $107.50 in the next year. View Analyst Ratings for AveXis.
What are analysts saying about AveXis stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about AveXis stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "AveXis, Inc. is a gene therapy company which develops and commercializes treatments for neurological genetic diseases primarily in United States. The Company's product candidate consists of AVXS-101 which is in clinical trial for the treatment of spinal muscular atrophy Type 1, the genetic cause of infant mortality. AveXis, Inc. is headquartered in Bannockburn, Illinois. " (7/13/2017)
- 2. Jefferies Group LLC analysts commented, "Final data from AVXS-101 in SMA T1 reported that all pts in both cohorts were event free at 13.6 mo of age compared to 25% expected via natural history, the primary EP. Motor milestones were achieved with 9 pts sitting ' 5 secs and 2 pts walking independently. We have lowered our EU T1 risk adj to 15% and began including SMA T2 into our valuation with a 75% risk adj. We reiterate our Buy rating and raise our PT to $92." (3/17/2017)
- 3. Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (The) analysts commented, "AVXS reported compelling gene therapy AVXS-101 Ph1 final results in spinal muscular atrophy (SMA, genetic neuromuscular disorder) Type I for all patients >13.6 months of age. The data continues to impress ' event-free survival (EFS, death or permanent ventilation) remains 100% in the 12 patients in the high dose therapeutic and notably, in the 3 non-therapeutic cohort as of 1/20. These results are remarkably better than the disease natural history of SMA Type I that suggests 25% EFS at 13.6 months. CHOP INTEND (motor function) and milestone improvements remain intact, with mean increase from baseline of +24.7 (vs. +24.8 prior) in the therapeutic dose vs. -10.5/yr per natural history. 11 (92%) patients are sitting unassisted (by definition, SMA Type I patients never sit unassisted), 9 (75%) rolling over, 2 (17%) standing alone and 2 (17%) walking independently, in line with prior 3m data. On the safety front, SAEs remain restricted to prior asymptomatic liver enzyme elevations which resolved with steroids. We look to: (1) the May 1 FDA meeting (vs. Mar) to discuss the manufacturing (CMC) outlook and June update post receipt of minutes; and (2) an end-of-Ph1 meeting with the FDA in 2Q/3Q to discuss a potential accelerated approval, which would provide upside to our estimates (we assume a 2020 launch on Ph3 data, GSe peak sales of $927mn)." (3/17/2017)
- 4. Chardan Capital analysts commented, "On 23 December 2016, partners Biogen (NASDAQ: BIIB) and Ionis Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: IONS)), announced the US FDA approved Spinraza (nusinersen), a chronically-administered SMN2 antisense oligonucleotide for the treatment of spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) types 1 to 3. As discussed in our 27 December 2016 note, on efficacy, Figure 1 of the Spinraza label shows that 23% of SMA type 1 patients taking Spinraza died compared to 43% of untreated patients. We compare this to the phase I trial of AAV-based gene therapy (GT) AVXS-101 (a one-time treatment) from AveXis (Buy), where no SMA type 1 patients so far have died. On safety, as discussed in our 17 January 2017 industry note, the Spinraza label states that 11% of patients developed a platelet level below the lower limit of normal, compared to 0% of patients under sham treatment. Furthermore, as covered in both our 23 January 2017 industry note and in today's accompanying industry note, "Spinraza FDA review confirms our concerns of antisense platelet class effects", both Anthem Healthcare (unrated) and the FDA have expressed concerns regarding the safety of Spinraza."He added, "Considering the above efficacy and safety issues for Spinraza relative to AVXS-101, we reiterate our AVXS Buy rating, make AVXS a Chardan top pick for 2017, and increase our AVXS PT from $85 to $100 (+18%). We also open a pair trade of AVXS (long) and IONS (short), on the increasing potential for 1) AVXS-101 use in SMA types 2 and 3, likely at Spinraza's expense, and 2) Spinraza to increase the size of the SMA market ahead of an AVXS-101 launch." (1/26/2017)
Who are some of AveXis' key competitors?
Some companies that are related to AveXis include Neurocrine Biosciences (NBIX), bluebird bio (BLUE), Clovis Oncology (CLVS), Juno Therapeutics (JUNO), Agios Pharmaceuticals (AGIO), BeiGene (BGNE), Intercept Pharmaceuticals (ICPT), GW Pharmaceuticals PLC (GWPH), Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical (RARE), China Biologic Products (CBPO), Spark Therapeutics (ONCE), Axovant Sciences (AXON), Sarepta Therapeutics (SRPT), Prothena Corporation PLC (PRTA), Loxo Oncology (LOXO), Aerie Pharmaceuticals (AERI), Halozyme Therapeutics (HALO) and NovoCure Limited (NVCR).
Who are AveXis' key executives?
AveXis' management team includes the folowing people:
- Daniel G. Welch, Independent Chairman of the Board
- Sean Patrick Nolan, President, Chief Executive Officer, Director
- Thomas J. Dee, Chief Financial Officer, Senior Vice President
- Lori J. Smith, Chief Human Resource Officer, Senior Vice President
- Michael Johannesen, Senior Vice President, Chief Compliance Officer, General Counsel
- Andrew F. Knudten, Senior Vice President - Manufacturing and Supply Chain
- James J. L'Italien Ph.D., Senior Vice President - Chief Regulatory and Quality Officer
- Rick Modi, Senior Vice President, Chief Business Officer
- Sukumar Nagendran, Senior Vice President and Chief Medical Officer
- R. A. Session II, Senior Vice President - Corporate Strategy and Project Management
When did AveXis IPO?
(AVXS) raised $86 million in an IPO on Thursday, February 11th 2016. The company issued 4,300,000 shares at a price of $19.00-$21.00 per share. Goldman Sachs and Jefferies acted as the underwriters for the IPO and BMO Capital Markets and Chardan were co-managers.
Who owns AveXis stock?
AveXis' stock is owned by a number of of institutional and retail investors. Top institutional shareholders include FMR LLC (16.93%), BlackRock Inc. (8.28%),
FLYNN JAMES E
(8.10%), Vanguard Group Inc. (5.67%), RA Capital Management LLC (4.72%) and VHCP Management II LLC (3.73%). Company insiders that own AveXis stock include Bong Y Koh, James E Flynn, Paul B Manning and Sukumar Nagendran. View Institutional Ownership Trends for AveXis.
Who sold AveXis stock? Who is selling AveXis stock?
AveXis' stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Franklin Resources Inc., RA Capital Management LLC, GAM Holding AG, Emory University, TD Asset Management Inc., EAM Investors LLC, AXA and Neuberger Berman Group LLC. Company insiders that have sold AveXis stock in the last year include Paul B Manning and Sukumar Nagendran. View Insider Buying and Selling for AveXis.
Who bought AveXis stock? Who is buying AveXis stock?
AveXis' stock was bought by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Janus Henderson Group PLC, BlackRock Inc., Alliancebernstein L.P., FMR LLC, State Street Corp, Vanguard Group Inc., PointState Capital LP and Marshall Wace North America L.P.. Company insiders that have bought AveXis stock in the last two years include Bong Y Koh and James E Flynn. View Insider Buying and Selling for AveXis.
How do I buy AveXis stock?
Shares of AveXis can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is AveXis' stock price today?
MarketBeat Community Rating for AveXis (NASDAQ AVXS)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about AveXis and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe the stock will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe the stock will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.
One share of AveXis stock can currently be purchased for approximately $93.41.
Consensus Ratings for AveXis (NASDAQ:AVXS) (How are Consensus Ratings Calculated?)
MarketBeat calculates consensus ratings using the most recent rating from each brokerage that has rated a stock within the last twelve months. Since brokers often use different ratings systems, each rating is normalized to a standardized rating score of 1 (sell), 2 (hold), 3 (buy) or 4 (strong buy). Consensus ratings scores are calculated using the mean average of the number of normalized sell, hold, buy and strong buy ratings. Each stock's consensus rating is derived from its calculated consensus ratings score (0-1.5 = Sell, 1.5-2.5 = Hold, 2.5-3.5 = Buy, >3.5 = Strong Buy). MarketBeat's consensus price targets are a mean average of the most recent available price targets set by each analyst that has set a price target for the stock in the last twelve months.
MarketBeat will no longer include ratings and price target data in its consensus calculation if a broker drops coverage and MarketBeat has received a report that coverage was dropped. Ratings from certain research firms that issue ratings using purely quantitative methods (such as Zacks, Vetr and ValuEngine) are not included in consensus calculations. MarketBeat's consensus ratings and consensus price targets may differ from those calculated by other firms due to differences in methodology and available data.
|Ratings Breakdown: ||1 Hold Rating, 9 Buy Ratings|
|Consensus Rating:||Buy (Score: 2.90)|
|Consensus Price Target: ||$107.50 (15.08% upside)|
Analysts' Ratings History for AveXis (NASDAQ:AVXS)
(Data available from 8/16/2015 forward)
|Date||Firm||Action||Rating||Price Target||Impact on Share Price||Details|
|8/11/2017||Jefferies Group LLC||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$92.00 -> $108.00||Low|
|8/11/2017||Chardan Capital||Reiterated Rating||Buy -> Buy||$102.50 -> $130.00||Medium|
|8/11/2017||BMO Capital Markets||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$123.00||Medium|
|8/9/2017||Morgan Stanley||Reiterated Rating||Overweight||$118.00||Low|
|7/27/2017||Sanford C. Bernstein||Initiated Coverage||Outperform||$108.00||Medium|
|6/15/2017||Citigroup Inc.||Set Price Target||Buy||$90.00 -> $100.00||Low|
|3/17/2017||Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (The)||Boost Price Target||Buy||$91.00 -> $108.00||High|
|11/14/2016||Stifel Nicolaus||Initiated Coverage||Hold||$65.00||N/A|
|10/21/2016||Bank of America Corporation||Initiated Coverage||Buy||N/A|
|8/17/2016||Wells Fargo & Company||Upgrade||Market Perform -> Outperform||N/A|
Earnings History for AveXis (NASDAQ:AVXS)Earnings History by Quarter for AveXis (NASDAQ AVXS)
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
Earnings Estimates for AveXis (NASDAQ:AVXS)
Current Year EPS Consensus Estimate: $-4.6 EPS
Next Year EPS Consensus Estimate: $-4.16 EPS
Dividend History for AveXis (NASDAQ:AVXS)
No dividend announcements for this company have been tracked by MarketBeat.com
Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History for AveXis (NASDAQ:AVXS)
Insider Ownership Percentage: 18.60%Insider Trades by Quarter for AveXis (NASDAQ:AVXS)
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 91.85%
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Details|
|8/1/2017||Sukumar Nagendran||VP||Sell||1,780||$91.52||$162,905.60|| |
|7/3/2017||Sukumar Nagendran||VP||Sell||1,780||$81.88||$145,746.40|| |
|6/1/2017||Sukumar Nagendran||VP||Sell||1,780||$70.91||$126,219.80|| |
|5/1/2017||Sukumar Nagendran||VP||Sell||1,780||$81.39||$144,874.20|| |
|4/3/2017||Sukumar Nagendran||VP||Sell||1,781||$76.13||$135,587.53|| |
|9/13/2016||Paul B Manning||Insider||Sell||289,855||$34.50||$9,999,997.50|| |
|2/17/2016||Bong Y Koh||Director||Buy||100,000||$20.00||$2,000,000.00|| |
|2/17/2016||James E Flynn||Insider||Buy||750,317||$19.47||$14,608,671.99|| |
Headline Trends for AveXis (NASDAQ:AVXS)
Latest Headlines for AveXis (NASDAQ:AVXS)
| Brokerages Expect AveXis, Inc. (NASDAQ:AVXS) to Announce -$0.94 EPS|
www.americanbankingnews.com - August 14 at 8:04 PM
|AveXis, Inc. (NASDAQ:AVXS) Stock Rating Reaffirmed by BMO Capital Markets|
www.americanbankingnews.com - August 13 at 9:08 PM
|AveXis' (AVXS) CEO Sean Nolan on Q2 2017 Results - Earnings Call Transcript|
seekingalpha.com - August 12 at 3:58 PM
|Jefferies Group LLC Reaffirms "Buy" Rating for AveXis, Inc. (NASDAQ:AVXS)|
www.americanbankingnews.com - August 11 at 7:22 PM
|AveXis, Inc. (NASDAQ:AVXS) Price Target Raised to $130.00|
www.americanbankingnews.com - August 11 at 5:36 PM
|Edited Transcript of AVXS earnings conference call or presentation 10-Aug-17 8:30pm GMT|
finance.yahoo.com - August 11 at 4:44 PM
|AveXis, Inc. (AVXS) Given Average Rating of "Buy" by Analysts|
www.americanbankingnews.com - August 11 at 3:22 PM
|AveXis, Inc. (AVXS) Announces Earnings Results|
www.americanbankingnews.com - August 10 at 9:35 PM
|BRIEF-AveXis reports Q2 loss per share $2.07|
www.reuters.com - August 10 at 9:12 PM
|AveXis Reports Second Quarter 2017 Financial and Operating Results|
finance.yahoo.com - August 10 at 4:07 PM
|AveXis, Inc. (AVXS) VP Sells $162,905.60 in Stock|
www.americanbankingnews.com - August 3 at 8:40 PM
|AveXis to Report Second Quarter 2017 Financial and Operating Results|
finance.yahoo.com - August 3 at 5:40 PM
|AveXis, Inc. (AVXS) Set to Announce Earnings on Wednesday|
www.americanbankingnews.com - August 2 at 7:20 AM
|AveXis, Inc. (NASDAQ:AVXS) Expected to Post Earnings of -$0.95 Per Share|
www.americanbankingnews.com - July 27 at 4:25 PM
|AveXis Inc.: Buy at the High?|
finance.yahoo.com - July 26 at 2:14 AM
|AveXis, Inc. (AVXS) Given Average Rating of "Buy" by Brokerages|
www.americanbankingnews.com - July 17 at 2:51 PM
|AveXis, Inc. (AVXS) Upgraded to Hold at Zacks Investment Research|
www.americanbankingnews.com - July 13 at 7:14 PM
|Insider Selling: AveXis, Inc. (AVXS) VP Sells 1,780 Shares of Stock|
www.americanbankingnews.com - July 5 at 7:45 PM
|-$1.00 EPS Expected for AveXis, Inc. (NASDAQ:AVXS) This Quarter|
www.americanbankingnews.com - July 3 at 12:48 PM
|4 Reasons the AveXis Inc. Rally Could Continue|
finance.yahoo.com - July 1 at 4:00 PM
|Jefferies Group LLC Reaffirms Buy Rating for AveXis, Inc. (AVXS)|
www.americanbankingnews.com - June 28 at 8:58 AM
|AveXis Announces Closing of Public Offering of Common Stock and Full Exercise of Underwriters’ Option to Purchase Additional Shares|
finance.yahoo.com - June 26 at 4:19 PM
|AveXis (AVXS) Jumps: Stock Rises 7.1%|
finance.yahoo.com - June 22 at 11:57 AM
|3 Stocks You Probably Never Heard Of Could Catch Fire Soon|
finance.yahoo.com - June 22 at 11:57 AM
|AveXis Announces Pricing of Public Offering of Common Stock|
finance.yahoo.com - June 20 at 9:28 PM
|Biotech Movers: AveXis, Clovis, Epizyme|
finance.yahoo.com - June 20 at 4:24 PM
|AveXis Inc (AVXS) Receives Average Recommendation of "Buy" from Analysts|
www.americanbankingnews.com - June 20 at 12:46 PM
|AveXis (AVXS) Plans $200M Common Stock Offering|
www.streetinsider.com - June 20 at 1:57 AM
|BRIEF-Avexis Inc says expects to submit data to FDA in August 2017 timeframe for AVXS-101|
www.reuters.com - June 20 at 1:57 AM
|AveXis Announces Proposed Public Offering of Common Stock|
finance.yahoo.com - June 19 at 8:54 PM
|AveXis, Inc. (AVXS) Given a $103.00 Price Target at Chardan Capital|
www.americanbankingnews.com - June 19 at 2:32 PM
|AveXis (AVXS) Surges: Stock Moves 5% Higher|
finance.yahoo.com - June 19 at 9:56 AM
|BMO Capital Markets Reiterates Outperform Rating for AveXis, Inc. (AVXS)|
www.americanbankingnews.com - June 16 at 11:52 AM
|BRIEF-Avexis announces alignment with FDA on GMP commercial manufacturing process for AVXS-101|
www.reuters.com - June 15 at 1:57 AM
|AveXis (AVXS) Announces Alignment with FDA on GMP for AVXS-10 Manufacturing|
www.streetinsider.com - June 15 at 1:57 AM
|AveXis Inc. (AVXS) Is Climbing On FDA Alignment|
www.rttnews.com - June 15 at 1:57 AM
|AveXis Announces Alignment with FDA on GMP Commercial Manufacturing Process for AVXS-101|
finance.yahoo.com - June 14 at 8:56 PM
|Regenxbio (RGNX) & AveXis (AVXS) Report New Worldwide Licenses for the Treatment of Two Rare Neurological Monogenic Disorders Using NAV AAV9 Vector|
www.streetinsider.com - June 7 at 9:01 PM
|Zacks: Analysts Expect AveXis Inc (AVXS) Will Post Earnings of -$1.02 Per Share|
www.americanbankingnews.com - June 7 at 10:16 AM
|Sukumar Nagendran Sells 1,780 Shares of AveXis Inc (AVXS) Stock|
www.americanbankingnews.com - June 2 at 8:21 PM
|Top Gainers in the Healthcare Sector: May 22–26, 2017|
finance.yahoo.com - May 31 at 3:47 PM
|Nationwide Children's gets another $10M for research from Nationwide Insurance|
www.bizjournals.com - May 30 at 8:52 PM
|AveXis Inc (AVXS) Receives "Buy" Rating from Jefferies Group LLC|
www.americanbankingnews.com - May 27 at 10:56 AM
|AveXis Inc (AVXS) Given Consensus Rating of "Buy" by Brokerages|
www.americanbankingnews.com - May 26 at 1:13 PM
|Citigroup Inc Reaffirms "Buy" Rating for AveXis Inc (AVXS)|
www.americanbankingnews.com - May 23 at 8:07 AM
|What Falling Estimates & Price Mean for AveXis, Inc. (AVXS)|
finance.yahoo.com - May 18 at 11:57 AM
|AveXis Inc (AVXS) Issues Quarterly Earnings Results|
www.americanbankingnews.com - May 11 at 9:24 PM
|AveXis reports 1Q loss|
finance.yahoo.com - May 11 at 9:13 PM
|AveXis Reports First Quarter 2017 Financial and Operating Results|
finance.yahoo.com - May 11 at 4:11 PM
|AveXis Inc (AVXS) Expected to Post Earnings of -$0.88 Per Share|
www.americanbankingnews.com - May 11 at 2:14 PM
AveXis (AVXS) Chart for Wednesday, August, 16, 2017