About J C Penney Company (JCP)
J. C. Penney Company, Inc. is a holding company. The Company's operating subsidiary is J. C. Penney Corporation, Inc. (JCP). The Company's business consists of selling merchandise and services to consumers through its department stores and its Website at jcpenney.com, which utilizes optimized applications for desktop, mobile and tablet devices. The Company's department stores and Website serves the same type of customers, its Website offers virtually the same mix of merchandise as its in store assortment along with other extended categories that are not offered in store, and its department stores accept returns from sales made in stores and through its Website. Its online customer purchases by direct shipment to the customer from its distribution facilities and stores or from its suppliers' warehouses and by in store customer pick up. It sells family apparel and footwear, accessories, fine and fashion jewelry, beauty products through Sephora inside JCPenney and home furnishings.
Industry, Sector and Symbol:
- Sector: Retail/Wholesale
- Industry: Department Stores
- Sub-Industry: Department Stores
- Exchange: NYSE
- Symbol: JCP
- CUSIP: 70816010
- Previous Close: $5.63
- 50 Day Moving Average: $6.50
- 200 Day Moving Average: $8.20
- 52-Week Range: $5.47 - $11.51
- Trailing P/E Ratio: 1863.33
- Foreward P/E Ratio: 9.64
- P/E Growth: -0.44
- Market Cap: $1.72B
- Outstanding Shares: 308,299,000
- Beta: 0.69
- Net Margins: -2.56%
- Return on Equity: -4.66%
- Return on Assets: -0.61%
- Debt-to-Equity Ratio: 3.96%
- Current Ratio: 1.47%
- Quick Ratio: 0.22%
Companies Related to J C Penney Company:
Earnings History for J C Penney Company (NYSE:JCP)Earnings History by Quarter for J C Penney Company (NYSE:JCP)
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|5/11/2017|| || || || || || || || |
|2/24/2017||Q416||$0.61||$0.64||$3.98 billion||$4.00 billion||View||N/A|
|11/11/2016||Q316||($0.21)||($0.21)||$2.95 billion||$2.86 billion||View||N/A|
|8/12/2016||Q216||($0.15)||($0.05)||$2.93 billion||$2.92 billion||View||Listen|
|5/13/2016||Q116||($0.38)||($0.32)||$2.92 billion||$2.81 billion||View||Listen|
|2/26/2016||Q415||$0.23||$0.39||$3.99 billion||$4.00 billion||View||N/A|
|11/13/2015||Q315||($0.55)||($0.47)||$2.88 billion||$2.90 billion||View||Listen|
|8/14/2015||Q215||($0.48)||($0.41)||$2.86 billion||$2.88 billion||View||Listen|
|5/13/2015||Q115||($0.77)||($0.57)||$2.86 billion||$2.86 billion||View||Listen|
|2/26/2015||Q414||$0.74||($0.19)||$4.71 billion||$3.89 billion||View||Listen|
|11/12/2014||Q314||($0.79)||($0.77)||$2.81 billion||$2.76 billion||View||Listen|
|8/14/2014||Q214||($0.94)||($0.56)||$2.78 billion||$2.80 billion||View||Listen|
|5/15/2014||Q114||($1.25)||($1.15)||$2.71 billion||$2.80 billion||View||Listen|
|2/26/2014||Q413||($0.76)||($0.68)||$3.94 billion||$3.78 billion||View||Listen|
|11/20/2013||Q3||($1.72)||($1.81)||$2.80 billion||$2.78 billion||View||Listen|
|8/20/2013||Q2 2013||($1.06)||($1.17)||$2.76 billion||$2.66 billion||View||Listen|
|5/16/2013||Q1 2013||($0.86)||($1.31)||$2.72 billion||$2.64 billion||View||Listen|
|2/27/2013||Q4 2012||($0.17)||($1.95)||$4.08 billion||$3.88 billion||View||Listen|
|11/9/2012||Q312||$0.02||($0.93)||$3.29 billion||$2.93 billion||View||N/A|
Earnings Estimates for J C Penney Company (NYSE:JCP)
Current Year EPS Consensus Estimate: $0.48 EPS
Next Year EPS Consensus Estimate: $0.58 EPS
(Data provided by Zacks Investment Research)
|Quarter||Number of Estimates||Low Estimate||High Estimate||Average Estimate|
Dividend History for J C Penney Company (NYSE:JCP)
No dividend announcements for this company have been tracked by MarketBeat.com
Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History for J C Penney Company (NYSE:JCP)
Insider Ownership Percentage: 1.28%Insider Trades by Quarter for J C Penney Company (NYSE:JCP)
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 85.70%
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Details|
|11/18/2016||John Joseph Tighe III||EVP||Sell||38,756||$9.33||$361,593.48|| |
|8/25/2016||Marvin R Ellison||Chairman||Buy||50,000||$9.92||$496,000.00|| |
|5/17/2016||Ronald W Tysoe||Director||Buy||25,000||$7.24||$181,000.00|| |
|3/9/2016||Marvin R Ellison||CEO||Buy||50,000||$11.80||$590,000.00|| |
|5/15/2015||Brynn Evanson||EVP||Sell||6,761||$8.45||$57,130.45|| |
|11/19/2014||Javier G Teruel||Director||Buy||100,000||$7.28||$728,000.00|| |
|11/22/2013||Myron Ullman III||CEO||Buy||112,000||$8.95||$1,002,400.00|| |
|11/16/2012||Javier G Teruel||Director||Buy||126,000||$15.98||$2,013,480.00|| |
|8/28/2012||Geraldine B Laybourne||Director||Buy||1,289||$24.82||$31,992.98|| |
|8/21/2012||Geraldine B Laybourne||Director||Buy||1,433||$24.39||$34,950.87|| |
|8/16/2012||Michael W Kramer||COO||Buy||4,400||$23.74||$104,456.00|| |
|8/14/2012||Geraldine B Laybourne||Director||Buy||1,432||$23.28||$33,336.96|| |
Headline Trends for J C Penney Company (NYSE:JCP)
Latest Headlines for J C Penney Company (NYSE:JCP)
Frequently Asked Questions for J C Penney Company (NYSE:JCP)
What is J C Penney Company's stock symbol?
J C Penney Company trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "JCP."
How were J C Penney Company's earnings last quarter?
J C Penney Company Inc (NYSE:JCP) posted its earnings results on Friday, February, 24th. The company reported $0.64 earnings per share (EPS) for the quarter, beating analysts' consensus estimates of $0.61 by $0.03. The firm earned $4 billion during the quarter, compared to analyst estimates of $3.98 billion. J C Penney Company had a negative net margin of 2.56% and a negative return on equity of 4.66%. J C Penney Company's revenue was down .9% on a year-over-year basis. During the same period in the previous year, the business posted $0.39 EPS.
When will J C Penney Company make its next earnings announcement?
J C Penney Company is scheduled to release their next quarterly earnings announcement on Thursday, May, 11th 2017.
What guidance has J C Penney Company issued on next quarter's earnings?
J C Penney Company issued an update on its FY18 earnings guidance on Friday, February, 24th. The company provided earnings per share (EPS) guidance of $0.40-0.65 for the period, compared to the Thomson Reuters consensus EPS estimate of $0.58.
Where is J C Penney Company's stock going? Where will J C Penney Company's stock price be in 2017?
21 brokerages have issued 12 month target prices for J C Penney Company's shares. Their predictions range from $7.00 to $13.00. On average, they anticipate J C Penney Company's stock price to reach $8.69 in the next year.
What are analysts saying about J C Penney Company stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about J C Penney Company stock:
- 1. BMO Capital Markets analysts commented, "JCP's stock traded down 5.8% following a 4Q16 EPS print ex-items of $0.64 that exceeded expectations (BMO $0.59/consensus $0.61), but benefited from a lower tax rate ($0.04) and $63 million of asset gains, leaving market participants disappointed with the earnings quality, albeit management had discussed potential asset sales. More important, the 2017 EBITDA target of $1.2 billion was walked down to $1.1 billion and now includes ~$100 million in asset gains; inventory looks elevated, albeit 2017 inventory is expected to decline 5%; and core apparel trends remain challenging." (2/27/2017)
- 2. According to Zacks Investment Research, "J. C. Penney, shares have been bearing the brunt of dismal holiday sales numbers. The stock has declined over 28% in the past three months. The company’s comparable store sales declined 0.8% during the November and December period combined. The decline was primarily due to the impact of challenging retail landscape, stiff competition from online retailers and waning store traffic. The company stated that the first three weeks of November were especially challenging. During the holiday season the company saw robust performance from appliances, boots, outerwear, fine jewelry and Sephora. However, sustained weakness in women’s apparel marred the overall performance. Nevertheless, in order to augment customer shopping experience, it has been focusing on remodeling, renovating and refurbishing its stores with special focus on enhancing high-margin center core department." (2/22/2017)
- 3. Morgan Stanley analysts commented, "We hosted investor meetings with Marvin Ellison, CEO; Ed Record, EVP CFO; Mike Robbins, EVP Supply Chain; John Tighe, EVP Chief Merchant; and Trent Kruse, Investor Relations at J.C. Penny’s headquarters in Dallas, TX, as well as a tour of the JCP Stonebriar Centre store. Multiple levers to achieve L-T financial targets: Management’s key message stressed it has a variety pathways to achieve its 2016 and 2017 $1B and $1.2B+ EBITDA goals, even if comps decelerate to +2% (vs. 2015+4.5% and 2016 +3-4% guidance). This reflects ~150-175 bps potential GM upside (vs. 2015 36% GM) and further opportunity to reduce SG&A, although we expect the pace of future expense cuts to moderate (please see details below). Near-term, based on our store checks and department store tracker department store tracker, 1Q likely started off strong but decelerated in March across the industry (Feb +0.4% vs. March -1.9% y/y estimate). Moreover, we think 1H sales growth may be slower vs. 2H16, as management sees more back-half weighted top-line catalysts, such as a greater number of Sephora openings (~30 in late 1Q16 and ~30 in June 2016) and completed center core remodels (~350 by the end of 2Q16 vs. ~75 today)." (4/13/2016)
Are investors shorting J C Penney Company?
J C Penney Company saw a increase in short interest in the month of February. As of February 28th, there was short interest totalling 82,116,401 shares, an increase of 5.8% from the February 15th total of 77,584,968 shares. Based on an average trading volume of 26,391,907 shares, the short-interest ratio is presently 3.1 days.
Who owns J C Penney Company stock?
J C Penney Company's stock is owned by many different of retail and institutional investors. Top institutional investors include Appaloosa LP (1.65%), Systematic Financial Management LP (1.42%), Norges Bank (0.48%), Friess Associates LLC (0.47%), Prudential PLC (0.20%) and 1060 Capital LLC (0.15%). Company insiders that own J C Penney Company stock include Brynn Evanson, John Joseph Tighe III, Marvin R Ellison and Ronald W Tysoe.
Who sold J C Penney Company stock? Who is selling J C Penney Company stock?
J C Penney Company's stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Systematic Financial Management LP, Tudor Investment Corp Et Al, Janus Capital Management LLC and Metropolitan Life Insurance Co. NY.
Who bought J C Penney Company stock? Who is buying J C Penney Company stock?
J C Penney Company's stock was purchased by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Appaloosa LP, Norges Bank, Friess Associates LLC, 1060 Capital LLC, United Capital Financial Advisers LLC, Numeric Investors LLC, Prudential PLC and Blenheim Capital Management BV. Company insiders that have bought J C Penney Company stock in the last two years include Marvin R Ellison and Ronald W Tysoe.
How do I buy J C Penney Company stock?
Shares of J C Penney Company can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
How much does a share of J C Penney Company stock cost?
One share of J C Penney Company stock can currently be purchased for approximately $5.59.
J C Penney Company (JCP) Chart for Thursday, March, 23, 2017