Johnson & Johnson is a holding company, which is engaged in the research and development, manufacture and sale of a range of products in the healthcare field. It operates through three segments: Consumer, Pharmaceutical and Medical Devices. Its primary focus is products related to human health and well-being. The Consumer segment includes a range of products used in the baby care, oral care, skin care, over-the-counter pharmaceutical, women's health and wound care markets. The Pharmaceutical segment is focused on five therapeutic areas, including immunology, infectious diseases, neuroscience, oncology, and cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. The Medical Devices segment includes a range of products used in the orthopedic, surgery, cardiovascular, diabetes care and vision care fields. Its research facilities are located in the United States, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Israel, Japan, the Netherlands, Singapore, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
Industry, Sector and Symbol:
- Sector: Medical
- Industry: Pharmaceuticals - NEC
- Sub-Industry: Pharmaceuticals
- Symbol: NYSE:JNJ
- CUSIP: 47816010
- Web: www.jnj.com
- Market Cap: $358.18 billion
- Outstanding Shares: 2,683,999,000
- 50 Day Moving Avg: $132.88
- 200 Day Moving Avg: $127.04
- 52 Week Range: $109.32 - $137.08
Sales & Book Value:
- Trailing P/E Ratio: 22.44
- Foreward P/E Ratio: 17.26
- P/E Growth: 2.92
- Annual Revenue: $72.53 billion
- Price / Sales: 4.94
- Book Value: $26.78 per share
- Price / Book: 4.98
- Annual Dividend: $3.36
- Dividend Yield: 2.5%
- EBIDTA: $25.15 billion
- Net Margins: 22.52%
- Return on Equity: 26.76%
- Return on Assets: 13.19%
- Debt-to-Equity Ratio: 0.38%
- Current Ratio: 1.34%
- Quick Ratio: 1.01%
- Average Volume: 5.57 million shs.
- Beta: 0.78
- Short Ratio: 2.41
Frequently Asked Questions for Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ)
What is Johnson & Johnson's stock symbol?
Johnson & Johnson trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "JNJ."
How often does Johnson & Johnson pay dividends? What is the dividend yield for Johnson & Johnson?
Johnson & Johnson declared a quarterly dividend on Monday, July 17th. Shareholders of record on Tuesday, August 29th will be given a dividend of $0.84 per share on Tuesday, September 12th. This represents a $3.36 dividend on an annualized basis and a yield of 2.52%. The ex-dividend date is Friday, August 25th. View Johnson & Johnson's Dividend History.
How were Johnson & Johnson's earnings last quarter?
Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ) issued its earnings results on Tuesday, July, 18th. The company reported $1.83 EPS for the quarter, beating analysts' consensus estimates of $1.79 by $0.04. The company had revenue of $18.84 billion for the quarter, compared to analyst estimates of $18.94 billion. Johnson & Johnson had a net margin of 22.52% and a return on equity of 26.76%. The firm's quarterly revenue was up 1.9% on a year-over-year basis. During the same quarter in the prior year, the business posted $1.74 earnings per share. View Johnson & Johnson's Earnings History.
When will Johnson & Johnson make its next earnings announcement?
What guidance has Johnson & Johnson issued on next quarter's earnings?
Johnson & Johnson issued an update on its FY17 earnings guidance on Tuesday, July, 18th. The company provided earnings per share (EPS) guidance of $7.12-7.22 for the period, compared to the Thomson Reuters consensus EPS estimate of $7.11. The company issued revenue guidance of $75.8-76.1 billion, compared to the consensus revenue estimate of $75.65 billion.
Where is Johnson & Johnson's stock going? Where will Johnson & Johnson's stock price be in 2017?
18 equities research analysts have issued 12-month target prices for Johnson & Johnson's stock. Their predictions range from $110.00 to $148.00. On average, they expect Johnson & Johnson's share price to reach $132.00 in the next twelve months. View Analyst Ratings for Johnson & Johnson.
What are analysts saying about Johnson & Johnson stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Johnson & Johnson stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "J&J reported mixed Q2 results, beating on earnings but missing on sales. Sales in J&J’s domestic Pharma segment have decelerated this year as a number of key growth drivers like Remicade and Concerta are facing competition. However, J&J is optimistic that sales growth will accelerate in 2H17. We believe that new products including Xarelto, Stelara, Darzalex, and Imbruvica remain the key to growth. Meanwhile, share buybacks and the restructuring initiative should provide bottom-line support. J&J is also making rapid progress with its pipeline and line extensions. The Actelion buy adds an attractive new therapeutic area – PAH. J&J’s shares have outperformed the large-cap pharma industry this year so far. However, headwinds like negative currency movement, generics, pricing pressure and soft global market conditions remain. Sluggish growth in the Consumer segment due to category slowdown is also a concern." (7/31/2017)
- 2. BTIG Research analysts commented, "Yesterday, we attended JNJ’s Pharma day held in New Brunswick, NJ. The overarching theme of the day was the expectation that the Pharma business outgrows the IMS projected ~5% 5-year CAGR for branded drugs. Our model is significantly below such expectations, as we have reported growth of ~6.5% during 2017 falling to ~3.6% in 2018 and essentially flat through 2020. Our numbers may prove conservative given that we do not currently include new drug launches of esketamine, guselkumab and sirukumab. We remain Neutral, as we think that the Oncology landscape is becoming more complicated and the Immunology portfolio may underperform internal expectations as a new class of oral drugs comes to market." (5/21/2017)
- 3. UBS AG analysts commented, "After making appropriate adjustments for year-over-year shipping day differences, JNJ's Q4 sales were up an impressive 9.5% in the U.S., and up 7.6% CC WW. Initial 2017 outlook calls for sales of $74.1-74.8 bil (up 4-5% CC) and EPS of $6.93-7.08 (including the AMO deal). As previewed, the guided range reflects greater impact from FX, and by our estimation a degree of conservatism. Given the continued strong growth of key Pharma franchises, management's potential to drive stable to improving margins, the ~$2.5 bil remaining repurchase authorization and other factors, we see flex and potential upside to management's initial 2017 outlook. We reiterate our Buy rating on top large-cap diversified pick JNJ, trimming our target from $142 to $141 due primarily to the ~$4.3 bil cash outlay for AMO, expected to close in 1Q17." (1/25/2017)
- 4. Jefferies Group LLC analysts commented, "With biosimilars and generics expected to drag the next few years, we expect JNJ will continue look to M&A to augment growth. Whilst this should ultimately drive better growth, we believe that investors will not reward the shares for this initially." (1/5/2017)
Who are some of Johnson & Johnson's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Johnson & Johnson include Pfizer (PFE), Novartis AG (NVS), Merck & Company (MRK), Sanofi (SNY), Novo Nordisk A/S (NVO), GlaxoSmithKline PLC (GSK), Bristol-Myers Squibb Company (BMY), Abbott Laboratories (ABT), Eli Lilly and Company (LLY), Astrazeneca PLC (AZN), GlaxoSmithKline plc (GSK), AstraZeneca plc (AZN), Shire PLC (SHP), Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Limited (TEVA), Patheon NV (PTHN), Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Ltd (RDY), Valeant Pharmaceuticals International (VRX) and Catalent (CTLT).
Who are Johnson & Johnson's key executives?
Johnson & Johnson's management team includes the folowing people:
- Alex Gorsky, Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer
- Dominic J. Caruso, Chief Financial Officer, Executive Vice President
- Peter M. Fasolo Ph.D., Chief Human Resource Officer, Executive Vice President
- Paulus A. Stoffels, Executive Vice President, Chief Scientific Officer
- Michael H. Ullmann, Executive Vice President, General Counsel
- Joaquin Duato, Executive Vice President, Worldwide Chairman - Pharmaceuticals
- Jorge S. Mesquita, Executive Vice President, Worldwide Chairman - Consumer
- Sandra E. Peterson, Executive Vice President - Group Worldwide Chairman
- Joseph Wolk, Vice President - Investor Relations
- Anne M. Mulcahy, Lead Independent Director
Who owns Johnson & Johnson stock?
Johnson & Johnson's stock is owned by a variety of of retail and institutional investors. Top institutional shareholders include Vanguard Group Inc. (7.47%), BlackRock Inc. (6.46%), State Street Corp (5.87%), State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co. (1.41%), Bank of New York Mellon Corp (1.35%) and Northern Trust Corp (1.28%). Company insiders that own Johnson & Johnson stock include Charles Prince, Dominic J Caruso, Gary J Pruden, Paulus Stoffels, Peter Fasolo and Ronald A Kapusta. View Institutional Ownership Trends for Johnson & Johnson.
Who sold Johnson & Johnson stock? Who is selling Johnson & Johnson stock?
Johnson & Johnson's stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including State Street Corp, Boston Partners, Karp Capital Management Corp, Nordea Investment Management AB, APG Asset Management N.V., Renaissance Technologies LLC, Bank of New York Mellon Corp and Robeco Institutional Asset Management B.V.. Company insiders that have sold Johnson & Johnson stock in the last year include Dominic J Caruso and Paulus Stoffels. View Insider Buying and Selling for Johnson & Johnson.
Who bought Johnson & Johnson stock? Who is buying Johnson & Johnson stock?
Johnson & Johnson's stock was purchased by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including BlackRock Inc., Janus Henderson Group PLC, Vanguard Group Inc., Parametric Portfolio Associates LLC, Harbour Capital Advisors LLC, FMR LLC, Schroder Investment Management Group and Principal Financial Group Inc.. View Insider Buying and Selling for Johnson & Johnson.
How do I buy Johnson & Johnson stock?
Shares of Johnson & Johnson can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is Johnson & Johnson's stock price today?
MarketBeat Community Rating for Johnson & Johnson (NYSE JNJ)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about Johnson & Johnson and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe the stock will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe the stock will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.
One share of Johnson & Johnson stock can currently be purchased for approximately $133.45.
Consensus Ratings for Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ) (How are Consensus Ratings Calculated?)
MarketBeat calculates consensus ratings using the most recent rating from each brokerage that has rated a stock within the last twelve months. Since brokers often use different ratings systems, each rating is normalized to a standardized rating score of 1 (sell), 2 (hold), 3 (buy) or 4 (strong buy). Consensus ratings scores are calculated using the mean average of the number of normalized sell, hold, buy and strong buy ratings. Each stock's consensus rating is derived from its calculated consensus ratings score (0-1.5 = Sell, 1.5-2.5 = Hold, 2.5-3.5 = Buy, >3.5 = Strong Buy). MarketBeat's consensus price targets are a mean average of the most recent available price targets set by each analyst that has set a price target for the stock in the last twelve months.
MarketBeat will no longer include ratings and price target data in its consensus calculation if a broker drops coverage and MarketBeat has received a report that coverage was dropped. Ratings from certain research firms that issue ratings using purely quantitative methods (such as Zacks, Vetr and ValuEngine) are not included in consensus calculations. MarketBeat's consensus ratings and consensus price targets may differ from those calculated by other firms due to differences in methodology and available data.
|Ratings Breakdown: ||3 Sell Ratings, 7 Hold Ratings, 8 Buy Ratings|
|Consensus Rating:||Hold (Score: 2.28)|
|Consensus Price Target: ||$132.00 (1.09% downside)|
Analysts' Ratings History for Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ)
(Data available from 8/21/2015 forward)
|Date||Firm||Action||Rating||Price Target||Impact on Share Price||Details|
|8/15/2017||Jefferies Group LLC||Set Price Target||Hold||$145.00||Low|
|8/16/2017||J P Morgan Chase & Co||Boost Price Target||Overweight||$140.00 -> $148.00||Low|
|8/4/2017||Credit Suisse Group||Reiterated Rating||Buy||Low|
|7/21/2017||Alembic Global Advisors||Downgrade||Neutral -> Underweight||Low|
|7/21/2017||Atlantic Securities||Downgrade||Neutral -> Underweight||$113.00||Low|
|7/21/2017||BTIG Research||Downgrade||Neutral -> Sell||$110.00||Low|
|7/12/2017||Royal Bank Of Canada||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$138.00||Medium|
|7/6/2017||Wells Fargo & Company||Reiterated Rating||Market Perform||$132.00 -> $135.00||Low|
|7/5/2017||Morgan Stanley||Boost Price Target||Overweight||$135.00 -> $140.00||Low|
|6/13/2017||Cowen and Company||Reiterated Rating||Outperform||$143.00||Low|
|6/2/2017||BMO Capital Markets||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$132.00||Low|
|5/18/2017||Stifel Nicolaus||Reiterated Rating||Hold -> Hold||$124.00 -> $128.00||Low|
|4/17/2017||Barclays PLC||Reiterated Rating||Equal Weight||$125.00 -> $130.00||Low|
|1/25/2017||Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (The)||Lower Price Target||Neutral||$120.00 -> $115.00||N/A|
|11/28/2016||Bank of America Corporation||Reiterated Rating||Hold||$126.00||N/A|
|10/23/2016||Societe Generale||Reiterated Rating||Hold||$116.00||N/A|
|9/11/2016||Leerink Swann||Reiterated Rating||Buy||N/A|
|8/19/2016||Deutsche Bank AG||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$142.00||N/A|
|5/20/2016||Raymond James Financial, Inc.||Reiterated Rating||Outperform||$120.00||N/A|
|5/20/2016||Standpoint Research||Initiated Coverage||Sell||$94.00||N/A|
|4/20/2016||Piper Jaffray Companies||Boost Price Target||Neutral||$105.00 -> $106.00||N/A|
|1/27/2016||Independent Research GmbH||Set Price Target||Neutral||$108.00||N/A|
|10/15/2015||S&P Equity Research||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$120.00||N/A|
Earnings History for Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ)Earnings History by Quarter for Johnson & Johnson (NYSE JNJ)
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|7/18/2017||Q2 2017||$1.79||$1.83||$18.94 billion||$18.84 billion||View||N/A|
|4/18/2017||Q1 17||$1.77||$1.83||$18.02 billion||$17.77 billion||View||N/A|
|1/24/2017||Q416||$1.56||$1.58||$18.28 billion||$18.10 billion||View||N/A|
|10/18/2016||Q316||$1.65||$1.68||$17.71 billion||$17.80 billion||View||Listen|
|7/19/2016||Q216||$1.68||$1.74||$17.98 billion||$18.50 billion||View||Listen|
|4/19/2016||Q116||$1.65||$1.68||$17.50 billion||$17.50 billion||View||Listen|
|1/26/2016||Q415||$1.42||$1.44||$17.88 billion||$17.80 billion||View||Listen|
|10/13/2015||Q315||$1.45||$1.49||$17.47 billion||$17.10 billion||View||Listen|
|7/14/2015||Q215||$1.69||$1.71||$17.76 billion||$17.80 billion||View||Listen|
|4/14/2015||Q115||$1.54||$1.56||$17.31 billion||$17.37 billion||View||Listen|
|1/20/2015||Q414||$1.25||$1.27||$18.59 billion||$18.30 billion||View||Listen|
|10/14/2014||Q314||$1.42||$1.50||$18.41 billion||$18.50 billion||View||Listen|
|7/15/2014||Q214||$1.54||$1.66||$18.86 billion||$19.50 billion||View||N/A|
|4/15/2014||Q114||$1.48||$1.54||$18.00 billion||$18.10 billion||View||N/A|
|1/21/2014||Q413||$1.20||$1.24||$17.95 billion||$18.40 billion||View||N/A|
|10/15/2013||Q313||$1.32||$1.36||$17.46 billion||$17.60 billion||View||N/A|
|7/16/2013||Q2 2013||$1.39||$1.48||$17.71 billion||$17.90 billion||View||N/A|
|4/16/2013||Q1 2013||$1.41||$1.44||$17.46 billion||$17.50 billion||View||N/A|
|1/22/2013||Q4 2012||$1.17||$1.19||$17.67 billion||$17.60 billion||View||N/A|
Earnings Estimates for Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ)
2017 EPS Consensus Estimate: $7.07
2018 EPS Consensus Estimate: $7.90
(Data provided by Zacks Investment Research)
|Quarter||Number of Estimates||Low Estimate||High Estimate||Average Estimate|
Current Dividend Information for Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ)
|Dividend Growth:||6.70% (3 Year Average)|
|Payout Ratio:||56.76% (Trailing 12 Months of Earnings) |
46.80% (Based on This Year's Estimates)
43.47% (Based on Next Year's Estimates)
|Track Record:||54 Years of Consecutive Dividend Growth|
Dividend History by Quarter for Johnson & Johnson (NYSE JNJ)
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Announced||Period||Amount||Yield||Ex-Dividend Date||Record Date||Payable Date|
Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History for Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ)
Insider Ownership Percentage: 0.19%Insider Trades by Quarter for Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ)
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 66.10%
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Details|
|7/24/2017||Paulus Stoffels||VP||Sell||102,692||$133.14||$13,672,412.88|| |
|7/20/2017||Dominic J Caruso||VP||Sell||82,591||$136.72||$11,291,841.52|| |
|2/15/2017||Paulus Stoffels||VP||Sell||22,000||$117.29||$2,580,380.00|| |
|10/21/2016||Charles Prince||Director||Buy||875||$114.11||$99,846.25|| |
|7/26/2016||Dominic J Caruso||VP||Sell||41,146||$125.01||$5,143,661.46|| |
|7/22/2016||Ronald A Kapusta||CAO||Sell||2,935||$125.01||$366,904.35|| |
|6/7/2016||Gary J Pruden||VP||Sell||9,735||$116.03||$1,129,552.05|| |
|6/7/2016||Ronald A Kapusta||CAO||Sell||3,000||$115.79||$347,370.00|| |
|5/10/2016||Ronald A Kapusta||CAO||Sell||3,957||$114.77||$454,144.89|| |
|2/17/2016||Paulus Stoffels||insider||Sell||125,000||$102.43||$12,803,750.00|| |
|2/3/2016||Peter Fasolo||VP||Sell||151,385||$104.12||$15,762,206.20|| |
|10/23/2015||Ronald A. Kapusta||CAO||Sell||6,239||$99.68||$621,903.52|| |
|6/2/2015||Charles Prince||Director||Buy||2,500||$99.22||$248,050.00|| |
|4/28/2015||Paulus Stoffels||Insider||Sell||187,250||$100.73||$18,861,692.50|| |
|9/10/2014||James Cullen||Director||Sell||2,446||$104.12||$254,677.52|| |
|5/5/2014||Stephen Cosgrove||Insider||Sell||22,000||$100.05||$2,201,100.00|| |
|3/14/2014||Peter Fasolo||VP||Sell||6,824||$93.15||$635,655.60|| |
|8/14/2013||Stephen Cosgrove||Insider||Sell||17,200||$91.39||$1,571,908.00|| |
|8/5/2013||Michael Ullmann||VP||Sell||16,140||$93.68||$1,511,995.20|| |
|7/25/2013||Paulus Stoffels||Insider||Sell||45,440||$92.40||$4,198,656.00|| |
|7/18/2013||Dominic J Caruso||CFO||Sell||30,000||$90.31||$2,709,300.00|| |
|11/12/2012||James Cullen||Director||Sell||13,900||$69.70||$968,830.00|| |
Headline Trends for Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ)
Latest Headlines for Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ)
Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) Chart for Monday, August, 21, 2017