About Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ)
Johnson & Johnson is a holding company, which is engaged in the research and development, manufacture and sale of a range of products in the healthcare field. It operates through three segments: Consumer, Pharmaceutical and Medical Devices. Its primary focus is products related to human health and well-being. The Consumer segment includes a range of products used in the baby care, oral care, skin care, over-the-counter pharmaceutical, women's health and wound care markets. The Pharmaceutical segment is focused on five therapeutic areas, including immunology, infectious diseases, neuroscience, oncology, and cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. The Medical Devices segment includes a range of products used in the orthopedic, surgery, cardiovascular, diabetes care and vision care fields. Its research facilities are located in the United States, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Israel, Japan, the Netherlands, Singapore, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
Industry, Sector and Symbol:
- Sector: Medical
- Industry: Pharmaceuticals
- Sub-Industry: Pharmaceuticals
- Symbol: NYSE:JNJ
- CUSIP: 47816010
- Web: www.jnj.com
- Market Cap: $381.23534 billion
- Outstanding Shares: 2,683,999,000
- 50 Day Moving Avg: $133.77
- 200 Day Moving Avg: $130.75
- 52 Week Range: $109.32 - $143.62
Sales & Book Value:
- Trailing P/E Ratio: 24.77
- Foreward P/E Ratio: 18.16
- P/E Growth: 2.80
- Annual Revenue: $74.36 billion
- Price / Sales: 5.14
- Book Value: $26.78 per share
- Price / Book: 5.32
- Annual Dividend: $3.36
- Dividend Yield: 2.4%
- EBITDA: $25.02 billion
- Net Margins: 21.28%
- Return on Equity: 27.68%
- Return on Assets: 13.41%
- Debt-to-Equity Ratio: 0.38%
- Current Ratio: 1.34%
- Quick Ratio: 1.01%
- Average Volume: 5.36 million shs.
- Beta: 0.78
- Short Ratio: 2.41
Frequently Asked Questions for Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ)
What is Johnson & Johnson's stock symbol?
Johnson & Johnson trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "JNJ."
How often does Johnson & Johnson pay dividends? What is the dividend yield for Johnson & Johnson?
Johnson & Johnson declared a quarterly dividend on Thursday, October 19th. Shareholders of record on Tuesday, November 28th will be given a dividend of $0.84 per share on Tuesday, December 12th. This represents a $3.36 annualized dividend and a yield of 2.36%. The ex-dividend date is Monday, November 27th. View Johnson & Johnson's Dividend History.
How were Johnson & Johnson's earnings last quarter?
Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ) issued its quarterly earnings results on Tuesday, October, 17th. The company reported $1.90 earnings per share (EPS) for the quarter, beating analysts' consensus estimates of $1.80 by $0.10. The company had revenue of $19.65 billion for the quarter, compared to analyst estimates of $19.29 billion. Johnson & Johnson had a net margin of 21.28% and a return on equity of 27.68%. The firm's revenue was up 10.3% compared to the same quarter last year. During the same quarter last year, the business posted $1.68 earnings per share. View Johnson & Johnson's Earnings History.
When will Johnson & Johnson make its next earnings announcement?
What guidance has Johnson & Johnson issued on next quarter's earnings?
Johnson & Johnson issued an update on its FY17 earnings guidance on Tuesday, October, 17th. The company provided earnings per share guidance of $7.25-7.30 for the period, compared to the Thomson Reuters consensus estimate of $7.18. The company issued revenue guidance of $76.1-76.5 billion, compared to the consensus revenue estimate of $75.84 billion.
Where is Johnson & Johnson's stock going? Where will Johnson & Johnson's stock price be in 2017?
20 brokers have issued 12-month price targets for Johnson & Johnson's shares. Their forecasts range from $110.00 to $165.00. On average, they anticipate Johnson & Johnson's share price to reach $141.63 in the next year. View Analyst Ratings for Johnson & Johnson.
What are analysts saying about Johnson & Johnson stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Johnson & Johnson stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Sales in J&J’s domestic Pharma segment have decelerated this year as a number of key growth drivers like Remicade and Concerta are facing competition. However, J&J is optimistic that sales growth will accelerate in 2H. We believe that new drugs like Xarelto, Stelara, Darzalex, and Imbruvica remain the key to growth. Meanwhile, share buybacks and restructuring initiatives should provide bottom-line support. J&J is also making rapid progress with its pipeline and line extensions. However, J&J’s shares have underperformed the industry this year so far. Headwinds like negative currency movement, generics, pricing pressure and soft global market conditions remain. Sluggish growth in the Consumer segment is also a concern. Meanwhile, HCV sales continue to decline amid intense competition. Estimates have remained mostly stable ahead of the Q3 results. J&J has a positive record of earnings surprises in recent quarters." (10/4/2017)
- 2. BTIG Research analysts commented, "Yesterday, we attended JNJ’s Pharma day held in New Brunswick, NJ. The overarching theme of the day was the expectation that the Pharma business outgrows the IMS projected ~5% 5-year CAGR for branded drugs. Our model is significantly below such expectations, as we have reported growth of ~6.5% during 2017 falling to ~3.6% in 2018 and essentially flat through 2020. Our numbers may prove conservative given that we do not currently include new drug launches of esketamine, guselkumab and sirukumab. We remain Neutral, as we think that the Oncology landscape is becoming more complicated and the Immunology portfolio may underperform internal expectations as a new class of oral drugs comes to market." (5/21/2017)
- 3. UBS AG analysts commented, "After making appropriate adjustments for year-over-year shipping day differences, JNJ's Q4 sales were up an impressive 9.5% in the U.S., and up 7.6% CC WW. Initial 2017 outlook calls for sales of $74.1-74.8 bil (up 4-5% CC) and EPS of $6.93-7.08 (including the AMO deal). As previewed, the guided range reflects greater impact from FX, and by our estimation a degree of conservatism. Given the continued strong growth of key Pharma franchises, management's potential to drive stable to improving margins, the ~$2.5 bil remaining repurchase authorization and other factors, we see flex and potential upside to management's initial 2017 outlook. We reiterate our Buy rating on top large-cap diversified pick JNJ, trimming our target from $142 to $141 due primarily to the ~$4.3 bil cash outlay for AMO, expected to close in 1Q17." (1/25/2017)
- 4. Jefferies Group LLC analysts commented, "With biosimilars and generics expected to drag the next few years, we expect JNJ will continue look to M&A to augment growth. Whilst this should ultimately drive better growth, we believe that investors will not reward the shares for this initially." (1/5/2017)
Who are some of Johnson & Johnson's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Johnson & Johnson include Pfizer (PFE), Novartis AG (NVS), Merck & Company (MRK), Amgen (AMGN), Novo Nordisk A/S (NVO), Sanofi (SNY), Celgene Corporation (CELG), Bristol-Myers Squibb Company (BMY), GlaxoSmithKline PLC (GSK), Abbott Laboratories (ABT), Eli Lilly and Company (LLY), Astrazeneca PLC (AZN), GlaxoSmithKline plc (GSK), AstraZeneca plc (AZN), Shire PLC (SHPG), Shire PLC (SHP), Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Limited (TEVA) and Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Ltd (RDY).
Who are Johnson & Johnson's key executives?
Johnson & Johnson's management team includes the folowing people:
- Alex Gorsky, Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer
- Dominic J. Caruso, Chief Financial Officer, Executive Vice President
- Peter M. Fasolo Ph.D., Chief Human Resource Officer, Executive Vice President
- Paulus A. Stoffels, Executive Vice President, Chief Scientific Officer
- Michael H. Ullmann, Executive Vice President, General Counsel
- Joaquin Duato, Executive Vice President, Worldwide Chairman - Pharmaceuticals
- Jorge S. Mesquita, Executive Vice President, Worldwide Chairman - Consumer
- Sandra E. Peterson, Executive Vice President - Group Worldwide Chairman
- Joseph Wolk, Vice President - Investor Relations
- Anne M. Mulcahy, Lead Independent Director
Who owns Johnson & Johnson stock?
Johnson & Johnson's stock is owned by many different of retail and institutional investors. Top institutional shareholders include Fisher Asset Management LLC (0.44%), APG Asset Management N.V. (0.26%), Sanders Capital LLC (0.19%), PGGM Investments (0.11%), Assenagon Asset Management S.A. (0.06%) and Robeco Institutional Asset Management B.V. (0.04%). Company insiders that own Johnson & Johnson stock include Charles Prince, Dominic J Caruso, Gary J Pruden, Paulus Stoffels, Peter Fasolo and Ronald A Kapusta. View Institutional Ownership Trends for Johnson & Johnson.
Who sold Johnson & Johnson stock? Who is selling Johnson & Johnson stock?
Johnson & Johnson's stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Private Asset Management Inc., Tukman Grossman Capital Management Inc., State Treasurer State of Michigan, Sabal Trust CO, Robeco Institutional Asset Management B.V., Bridges Investment Counsel Inc., Focused Investors LLC and Meeder Asset Management Inc.. Company insiders that have sold Johnson & Johnson stock in the last year include Dominic J Caruso and Paulus Stoffels. View Insider Buying and Selling for Johnson & Johnson.
Who bought Johnson & Johnson stock? Who is buying Johnson & Johnson stock?
Johnson & Johnson's stock was purchased by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including APG Asset Management N.V., Assenagon Asset Management S.A., Sanders Capital LLC, Fisher Asset Management LLC, Shell Asset Management Co., PGGM Investments, Rockefeller Financial Services Inc. and Montrusco Bolton Investments Inc.. View Insider Buying and Selling for Johnson & Johnson.
How do I buy Johnson & Johnson stock?
Shares of Johnson & Johnson can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is Johnson & Johnson's stock price today?
MarketBeat Community Rating for Johnson & Johnson (NYSE JNJ)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about Johnson & Johnson and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe the stock will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe the stock will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.
One share of Johnson & Johnson stock can currently be purchased for approximately $142.40.
Consensus Ratings for Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ) (How are Consensus Ratings Calculated?)
MarketBeat calculates consensus ratings using the most recent rating from each brokerage that has rated a stock within the last twelve months. Since brokers often use different ratings systems, each rating is normalized to a standardized rating score of 1 (sell), 2 (hold), 3 (buy) or 4 (strong buy). Consensus ratings scores are calculated using the mean average of the number of normalized sell, hold, buy and strong buy ratings. Each stock's consensus rating is derived from its calculated consensus ratings score (0-1.5 = Sell, 1.5-2.5 = Hold, 2.5-3.5 = Buy, >3.5 = Strong Buy). MarketBeat's consensus price targets are a mean average of the most recent available price targets set by each analyst that has set a price target for the stock in the last twelve months.
MarketBeat will no longer include ratings and price target data in its consensus calculation if a broker drops coverage and MarketBeat has received a report that coverage was dropped. Ratings from certain research firms that issue ratings using purely quantitative methods (such as Zacks, Vetr and ValuEngine) are not included in consensus calculations. MarketBeat's consensus ratings and consensus price targets may differ from those calculated by other firms due to differences in methodology and available data.
|Ratings Breakdown: ||4 Sell Ratings, 7 Hold Ratings, 9 Buy Ratings|
|Consensus Rating:||Hold (Score: 2.25)|
|Consensus Price Target: ||$141.63 (0.54% downside)|Consensus Price Target History for Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ)
Analysts' Ratings History for Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ)
(Data available from 10/21/2015 forward)
|Date||Firm||Action||Rating||Price Target||Impact on Share Price||Details|
|10/19/2017||Credit Suisse Group||Set Price Target||Outperform||$147.00 -> $154.00||N/A|
|10/16/2017||Jefferies Group LLC||Boost Price Target||Buy||$157.00 -> $160.00||N/A|
|10/18/2017||Barclays PLC||Boost Price Target||Equal Weight||$140.00 -> $148.00||N/A|
|10/18/2017||Cowen and Company||Reiterated Rating||Outperform||$147.00 -> $155.00||N/A|
|10/18/2017||Morgan Stanley||Reiterated Rating||Hold||$140.00 -> $145.00||N/A|
|10/18/2017||Argus||Boost Price Target||Buy -> Positive||$145.00 -> $165.00||N/A|
|10/18/2017||Wells Fargo & Company||Reiterated Rating||Outperform||$149.00 -> $155.00||N/A|
|10/18/2017||BMO Capital Markets||Reiterated Rating||Outperform -> Positive||$145.00 -> $152.00||N/A|
|10/18/2017||Stifel Nicolaus||Boost Price Target||Hold -> Hold||$140.00 -> $142.00||N/A|
|10/18/2017||Royal Bank Of Canada||Boost Price Target||Outperform -> Outperform||$144.00 -> $147.00||N/A|
|10/18/2017||Leerink Swann||Reiterated Rating||Outperform -> Outperform||$150.00 -> $165.00||N/A|
|10/4/2017||Piper Jaffray Companies||Reiterated Rating||Hold||$120.00||Low|
|9/25/2017||Citigroup Inc.||Initiated Coverage||Neutral -> Neutral||$140.00||Low|
|9/20/2017||Goldman Sachs Group Inc||Downgrade||Neutral -> Sell||$125.00 -> $130.00||Low|
|8/16/2017||J P Morgan Chase & Co||Boost Price Target||Overweight||$140.00 -> $148.00||Low|
|7/21/2017||Alembic Global Advisors||Downgrade||Neutral -> Underweight||Low|
|7/21/2017||Atlantic Securities||Downgrade||Neutral -> Underweight||$113.00||Low|
|7/21/2017||BTIG Research||Downgrade||Neutral -> Sell||$110.00||Low|
|11/28/2016||Bank of America Corporation||Reiterated Rating||Hold||$126.00||N/A|
|10/23/2016||Societe Generale||Reiterated Rating||Hold||$116.00||N/A|
|8/19/2016||Deutsche Bank AG||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$142.00||N/A|
|5/20/2016||Raymond James Financial, Inc.||Reiterated Rating||Outperform||$120.00||N/A|
|5/20/2016||Standpoint Research||Initiated Coverage||Sell||$94.00||N/A|
|1/27/2016||Independent Research GmbH||Set Price Target||Neutral||$108.00||N/A|
Earnings History for Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ)Earnings History by Quarter for Johnson & Johnson (NYSE JNJ)
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|1/23/2018|| || || || || || || || |
|10/17/2017||Q3 2017||$1.80||$1.90||$19.29 billion||$19.65 billion||View||N/A|
|7/18/2017||Q2 2017||$1.79||$1.83||$18.94 billion||$18.84 billion||View||N/A|
|4/18/2017||Q1 17||$1.77||$1.83||$18.02 billion||$17.77 billion||View||N/A|
|1/24/2017||Q416||$1.56||$1.58||$18.28 billion||$18.10 billion||View||N/A|
|10/18/2016||Q316||$1.65||$1.68||$17.71 billion||$17.80 billion||View||Listen|
|7/19/2016||Q216||$1.68||$1.74||$17.98 billion||$18.50 billion||View||Listen|
|4/19/2016||Q116||$1.65||$1.68||$17.50 billion||$17.50 billion||View||Listen|
|1/26/2016||Q415||$1.42||$1.44||$17.88 billion||$17.80 billion||View||Listen|
|10/13/2015||Q315||$1.45||$1.49||$17.47 billion||$17.10 billion||View||Listen|
|7/14/2015||Q215||$1.69||$1.71||$17.76 billion||$17.80 billion||View||Listen|
|4/14/2015||Q115||$1.54||$1.56||$17.31 billion||$17.37 billion||View||Listen|
|1/20/2015||Q414||$1.25||$1.27||$18.59 billion||$18.30 billion||View||Listen|
|10/14/2014||Q314||$1.42||$1.50||$18.41 billion||$18.50 billion||View||Listen|
|7/15/2014||Q214||$1.54||$1.66||$18.86 billion||$19.50 billion||View||N/A|
|4/15/2014||Q114||$1.48||$1.54||$18.00 billion||$18.10 billion||View||N/A|
|1/21/2014||Q413||$1.20||$1.24||$17.95 billion||$18.40 billion||View||N/A|
|10/15/2013||Q313||$1.32||$1.36||$17.46 billion||$17.60 billion||View||N/A|
|7/16/2013||Q2 2013||$1.39||$1.48||$17.71 billion||$17.90 billion||View||N/A|
|4/16/2013||Q1 2013||$1.41||$1.44||$17.46 billion||$17.50 billion||View||N/A|
|1/22/2013||Q4 2012||$1.17||$1.19||$17.67 billion||$17.60 billion||View||N/A|
Earnings Estimates for Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ)
2017 EPS Consensus Estimate: $7.08
2018 EPS Consensus Estimate: $7.99
(Data provided by Zacks Investment Research)
|Quarter||Number of Estimates||Low Estimate||High Estimate||Average Estimate|
Current Dividend Information for Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ)
|Dividend Growth:||6.70% (3 Year Average)|
|Payout Ratio:||58.33% (Trailing 12 Months of Earnings) |
46.15% (Based on This Year's Estimates)
42.86% (Based on Next Year's Estimates)
|Track Record:||54 Years of Consecutive Dividend Growth|
Dividend History by Quarter for Johnson & Johnson (NYSE JNJ)
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Announced||Period||Amount||Yield||Ex-Dividend Date||Record Date||Payable Date|
Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History for Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ)
Insider Ownership Percentage: 0.19%Insider Trades by Quarter for Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ)
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 65.90%
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Details|
|7/24/2017||Paulus Stoffels||VP||Sell||102,692||$133.14||$13,672,412.88|| |
|7/20/2017||Dominic J Caruso||VP||Sell||82,591||$136.72||$11,291,841.52|| |
|2/15/2017||Paulus Stoffels||VP||Sell||22,000||$117.29||$2,580,380.00|| |
|10/21/2016||Charles Prince||Director||Buy||875||$114.11||$99,846.25|| |
|7/26/2016||Dominic J Caruso||VP||Sell||41,146||$125.01||$5,143,661.46|| |
|7/22/2016||Ronald A Kapusta||CAO||Sell||2,935||$125.01||$366,904.35|| |
|6/7/2016||Gary J Pruden||VP||Sell||9,735||$116.03||$1,129,552.05|| |
|6/7/2016||Ronald A Kapusta||CAO||Sell||3,000||$115.79||$347,370.00|| |
|5/10/2016||Ronald A Kapusta||CAO||Sell||3,957||$114.77||$454,144.89|| |
|2/17/2016||Paulus Stoffels||insider||Sell||125,000||$102.43||$12,803,750.00|| |
|2/3/2016||Peter Fasolo||VP||Sell||151,385||$104.12||$15,762,206.20|| |
|10/23/2015||Ronald A. Kapusta||CAO||Sell||6,239||$99.68||$621,903.52|| |
|6/2/2015||Charles Prince||Director||Buy||2,500||$99.22||$248,050.00|| |
|4/28/2015||Paulus Stoffels||Insider||Sell||187,250||$100.73||$18,861,692.50|| |
|9/10/2014||James Cullen||Director||Sell||2,446||$104.12||$254,677.52|| |
|5/5/2014||Stephen Cosgrove||Insider||Sell||22,000||$100.05||$2,201,100.00|| |
|3/14/2014||Peter Fasolo||VP||Sell||6,824||$93.15||$635,655.60|| |
|8/14/2013||Stephen Cosgrove||Insider||Sell||17,200||$91.39||$1,571,908.00|| |
|8/5/2013||Michael Ullmann||VP||Sell||16,140||$93.68||$1,511,995.20|| |
|7/25/2013||Paulus Stoffels||Insider||Sell||45,440||$92.40||$4,198,656.00|| |
|7/18/2013||Dominic J Caruso||CFO||Sell||30,000||$90.31||$2,709,300.00|| |
|11/12/2012||James Cullen||Director||Sell||13,900||$69.70||$968,830.00|| |
Headline Trends for Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ)
Latest Headlines for Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ)
Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) Chart for Saturday, October, 21, 2017