About CSX Corporation (NASDAQ:CSX)
CSX Corporation is a transportation company. The Company provides rail-based freight transportation services, including traditional rail service and transport of intermodal containers and trailers, as well as other transportation services, such as rail-to-truck transfers and bulk commodity operations. The Company categorizes its products into three primary lines of business: merchandise, intermodal and coal. The Company's intermodal business links customers to railroads through trucks and terminals. The Company's merchandise business consists of shipments in markets, such as agricultural and food products, fertilizers, chemicals, automotive, metals and equipment, minerals and forest products. The Company's coal business transports domestic coal, coke and iron ore to electricity-generating power plants, steel manufacturers and industrial plants, as well as export coal to deep-water port facilities.
Industry, Sector and Symbol:
- Sector: Transportation
- Industry: Ground Freight & Logistics
- Sub-Industry: N/A
- Symbol: NASDAQ:CSX
- CUSIP: N/A
- Web: www.csx.com
- Market Cap: $48.31467 billion
- Outstanding Shares: 913,312,000
- 50 Day Moving Avg: $52.54
- 200 Day Moving Avg: $51.65
- 52 Week Range: $30.01 - $55.48
Sales & Book Value:
- Trailing P/E Ratio: 28.10
- Foreward P/E Ratio: 20.34
- P/E Growth: 1.54
- Annual Revenue: $11.55 billion
- Price / Sales: 4.31
- Book Value: $12.69 per share
- Price / Book: 4.30
- Annual Dividend: $0.80
- Dividend Yield: 1.5%
- EBITDA: $5.2 billion
- Net Margins: 15.45%
- Return on Equity: 17.28%
- Return on Assets: 5.56%
- Debt-to-Equity Ratio: 1.08%
- Current Ratio: 1.05%
- Quick Ratio: 1.32%
- Average Volume: 6.76 million shs.
- Beta: 1.35
- Short Ratio: 2.23
Frequently Asked Questions for CSX Corporation (NASDAQ:CSX)
What is CSX Corporation's stock symbol?
CSX Corporation trades on the NASDAQ under the ticker symbol "CSX."
How often does CSX Corporation pay dividends? What is the dividend yield for CSX Corporation?
CSX Corporation declared a quarterly dividend on Thursday, October 5th. Investors of record on Thursday, November 30th will be given a dividend of $0.20 per share on Friday, December 15th. This represents a $0.80 dividend on an annualized basis and a yield of 1.47%. View CSX Corporation's Dividend History.
How will CSX Corporation's stock buyback program work?
CSX Corporation declared that its board has authorized a share buyback plan on Wednesday, July 19th 2017, which allows the company to buyback $500,000,000.00 in shares, according to EventVestor. This buyback authorization allows the company to repurchase up to 1% of its shares through open market purchases. Shares buyback plans are usually a sign that the company's board of directors believes its shares are undervalued.
How were CSX Corporation's earnings last quarter?
CSX Corporation (NASDAQ:CSX) released its quarterly earnings data on Tuesday, October, 17th. The company reported $0.51 earnings per share (EPS) for the quarter, meeting the consensus estimate of $0.51. The company had revenue of $2.74 billion for the quarter, compared to the consensus estimate of $2.77 billion. CSX Corporation had a net margin of 15.45% and a return on equity of 17.28%. CSX Corporation's quarterly revenue was up 1.2% on a year-over-year basis. During the same quarter in the prior year, the company earned $0.48 earnings per share. View CSX Corporation's Earnings History.
When will CSX Corporation make its next earnings announcement?
Where is CSX Corporation's stock going? Where will CSX Corporation's stock price be in 2017?
24 brokerages have issued 12-month price objectives for CSX Corporation's stock. Their predictions range from $32.00 to $65.00. On average, they expect CSX Corporation's stock price to reach $55.86 in the next year. View Analyst Ratings for CSX Corporation.
What are analysts saying about CSX Corporation stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about CSX Corporation stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Shares of CSX Corporation have outperformed its industry on a year-to-date basis on the back of improving coal volumes. We expect the same to boost its third-quarter results, which is scheduled to be revealed on Oct 17. Meanwhile, the company is looking to drive bottom-line growth by cutting costs. Driven by improved efficiencies, CSX expects the bottom line to expand between 20% and 25% in 2017 on a year-over-year basis. In fact, we are impressed by the 11% dividend hike announced by CSX, earlier in 2017. The company's high debt levels, however, raise concerns. Sluggish automotive production presents a further challenge to the company. Recent service disruptions also do not bode well for CSX." (10/12/2017)
- 2. TD Securities analysts commented, "We believe CSX is poised for a period of accelerated earnings growth under Mr. Harrison, which will likely attract a premium valuation multiple. While the trajectory of the coal business is a risk to our thesis, we note that our forecast does not factor in the potential for substantial U.S." (4/21/2017)
- 3. Stifel Nicolaus analysts commented, "Hunter Harrison is in as CEO of CSX effective immediately. We expect that this is a commitment to significant OR improvement over the coming investment horizon. Hunter is quoted as saying the team will implement Precision Scheduled Railroading, a technique used to great success at CP in recent years. This comes shortly after CSX announced a commitment for $160 million in management head count reduction." (3/7/2017)
- 4. Cowen and Company analysts commented, "In a much expected announcement CSX Corporation named Hunter Harrison as Chief Executive Officer, replacing the retiring Michael Ward who will remain as a consultant. The company also reached an agreement with activist investor Mantle Ridge which gives them five new seats (including Mr. Harrison and Mantle Ridge founder Paul Hilal) on Board of Directors. With three incumbent board members announcing their intent to resign their positions at the end of the year, the board will have 13 members now with current director Edward Kelly III becoming Chairman and Paul Hilal Vice Chairman... While CSX was already in the process of laying off/cutting 1,000 people from its management ranks we fully expect that Mr. Harrison will push that number higher and also cut into the rank and file headcount by reducing/combing yards and shops. It is also expected that the company will now focus on faster growing areas of its network, which could lead to some shedding of lines. Mr. Harrison's proverbial playbook of cutting 'fat' and running a scheduled railroad may not seem complicated but his methods are time tested and we fully expect him to easily exceed the company's previous long term OR target of 65% over the next few years. Our previous estimates are currently under review." (3/7/2017)
- 5. Deutsche Bank AG analysts commented, "Mantle Ridge will receive about 40% of total board seats, equating to 5 appointees (including Hilal and Hunter) out of 13 total seats, which gives effect for former CEO Mike Ward's retirement and roll-off of 3 incumbent board members at the next annual general meeting sometime in the next 3 months (chairman of audit and finance committees and one regular board member). There does not appear to be any standstill agreement, which likely allows Mantle Ridge to continue pressing for change if need be. Interestingly, CSX has not agreed to Hunter Harrison's make-whole payment, choosing instead of put it up for shareholder vote at the annual general meeting, which we think should easily pass (we believe Hunter Harrison has an effective insurance policy on this payment with Mantle Ridge, creating some risk if shareholders don't agree, though we think there is very little probability of that happening)." (3/7/2017)
Who are some of CSX Corporation's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to CSX Corporation include Union Pacific Corporation (UNP), Canadian National Railway Company (CNI), Norfolk Souther Corporation (NSC), Canadian Pacific Railway Limited (CP), C.H. Robinson Worldwide (CHRW), Kansas City Southern (KSU), XPO Logistics (XPO), Amerco (UHAL), Schneider National (SNDR), Genesee & Wyoming (GWR), Ryder System (R), Knight-Swift Transportation Holdings (SWFT), Hub Group (HUBG), ArcBest Corporation (ARCB), Northgate plc (NTG), Covenant Transportation Group (CVTI), YRC Worldwide (YRCW) and Clipper Logistics PLC (CLG).
Who are CSX Corporation's key executives?
CSX Corporation's management team includes the folowing people:
- Edward J. Kelly III J.D., Independent Chairman of the Board
- E. Hunter Harrison, President, Chief Executive Officer, Director
- Cressie D. Brown, Chief Executive Officer, Senior Vice President
- Paul C. Hilal, Vice Chairman of the Board
- Frank A. Lonegro, Chief Financial Officer, Executive Vice President
- Fredrik J. Eliasson, Executive Vice President, Chief Sales and Marketing Officer
- Ellen M. Fitzsimmons, Executive Vice President - Law & Public Affairs, General Counsel, Corporate Secretary
- Kathleen Brandt, Senior Vice President, Chief Information Officer
- Andrew L. Glassman, Vice President - Strategy, Controller
- Ricky Johnson, Vice President - Engineering
Who owns CSX Corporation stock?
CSX Corporation's stock is owned by a number of of institutional and retail investors. Top institutional investors include PGGM Investments (0.02%), Mutual of America Capital Management LLC (0.01%), Oakbrook Investments LLC (0.01%), Park National Corp OH (0.01%) and First United Bank Trust (0.00%). Company insiders that own CSX Corporation stock include Clarence W Gooden, E Hunter Harrison, Michael J Ward and Ridge Lp Mantle. View Institutional Ownership Trends for CSX Corporation.
Who sold CSX Corporation stock? Who is selling CSX Corporation stock?
CSX Corporation's stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including PGGM Investments, First United Bank Trust, Park National Corp OH and Mutual of America Capital Management LLC. View Insider Buying and Selling for CSX Corporation.
Who bought CSX Corporation stock? Who is buying CSX Corporation stock?
CSX Corporation's stock was purchased by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Oakbrook Investments LLC. Company insiders that have bought CSX Corporation stock in the last two years include E Hunter Harrison and Ridge Lp Mantle. View Insider Buying and Selling for CSX Corporation.
How do I buy CSX Corporation stock?
Shares of CSX Corporation can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is CSX Corporation's stock price today?
MarketBeat Community Rating for CSX Corporation (NASDAQ CSX)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about CSX Corporation and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe the stock will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe the stock will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.
One share of CSX Corporation stock can currently be purchased for approximately $54.52.
Consensus Ratings for CSX Corporation (NASDAQ:CSX) (How are Consensus Ratings Calculated?)
MarketBeat calculates consensus ratings using the most recent rating from each brokerage that has rated a stock within the last twelve months. Since brokers often use different ratings systems, each rating is normalized to a standardized rating score of 1 (sell), 2 (hold), 3 (buy) or 4 (strong buy). Consensus ratings scores are calculated using the mean average of the number of normalized sell, hold, buy and strong buy ratings. Each stock's consensus rating is derived from its calculated consensus ratings score (0-1.5 = Sell, 1.5-2.5 = Hold, 2.5-3.5 = Buy, >3.5 = Strong Buy). MarketBeat's consensus price targets are a mean average of the most recent available price targets set by each analyst that has set a price target for the stock in the last twelve months.
MarketBeat will no longer include ratings and price target data in its consensus calculation if a broker drops coverage and MarketBeat has received a report that coverage was dropped. Ratings from certain research firms that issue ratings using purely quantitative methods (such as Zacks, Vetr and ValuEngine) are not included in consensus calculations. MarketBeat's consensus ratings and consensus price targets may differ from those calculated by other firms due to differences in methodology and available data.
|Ratings Breakdown: ||1 Sell Rating, 7 Hold Ratings, 16 Buy Ratings|
|Consensus Rating:||Buy (Score: 2.63)|
|Consensus Price Target: ||$55.86 (2.46% upside)|Consensus Price Target History for CSX Corporation (NASDAQ:CSX)
Analysts' Ratings History for CSX Corporation (NASDAQ:CSX)
(Data available from 10/21/2015 forward)
|Date||Firm||Action||Rating||Price Target||Impact on Share Price||Details|
|10/18/2017||Barclays PLC||Boost Price Target||Overweight||$55.00 -> $60.00||N/A|
|10/18/2017||Credit Suisse Group||Boost Price Target||Outperform||$60.00 -> $61.00||N/A|
|10/16/2017||Wells Fargo & Company||Downgrade||Outperform -> Market Perform||$57.00||N/A|
|10/12/2017||J P Morgan Chase & Co||Boost Price Target||Overweight -> Overweight||$58.00 -> $62.00||N/A|
|10/2/2017||Morgan Stanley||Downgrade||Equal Weight -> Underweight||$44.00 -> $43.00||Medium|
|9/7/2017||Stifel Nicolaus||Reiterated Rating||Hold||$57.00 -> $55.00||Low|
|9/7/2017||Royal Bank Of Canada||Lower Price Target||Outperform -> Outperform||$65.00 -> $64.00||High|
|8/30/2017||BMO Capital Markets||Reiterated Rating||Buy||Medium|
|8/2/2017||Deutsche Bank AG||Reiterated Rating||Buy||Low|
|7/28/2017||Cowen and Company||Reiterated Rating||Hold||$54.00||Low|
|7/22/2017||Loop Capital||Reiterated Rating||Hold||$52.00 -> $54.00||Low|
|7/20/2017||TD Securities||Lower Price Target||Buy||$64.00 -> $63.00||Medium|
|6/6/2017||Bank of America Corporation||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$56.00 -> $65.00||High|
|4/21/2017||Raymond James Financial, Inc.||Upgrade||Market Perform -> Outperform||$55.00||Medium|
|4/20/2017||FBR & Co||Reiterated Rating||Outperform -> Outperform||$48.00 -> $54.00||Medium|
|3/28/2017||Avondale Partners||Upgrade||Market Perform -> Market Outperform||Low|
|3/15/2017||Atlantic Securities||Upgrade||Neutral -> Overweight||$57.00||Low|
|3/7/2017||Citigroup Inc.||Boost Price Target||Buy||$51.00 -> $58.00||N/A|
|1/24/2017||Oppenheimer Holdings, Inc.||Reiterated Rating||Market Perform||N/A|
|1/20/2017||Robert W. Baird||Reiterated Rating||Outperform||N/A|
|1/19/2017||Argus||Reiterated Rating||Underweight -> Equal Weight||$45.00||N/A|
|1/19/2017||Scotiabank||Upgrade||Sector Perform -> Outperform||$39.00 -> $43.00||N/A|
|10/26/2016||Sanford C. Bernstein||Reiterated Rating||Market Perform||$32.00||N/A|
|10/19/2016||Seaport Global Securities||Initiated Coverage||Neutral||$31.00||N/A|
|10/11/2016||Vertical Research||Initiated Coverage||Hold||N/A|
|9/13/2016||Wolfe Research||Upgrade||Market Perform -> Outperform||$35.00||N/A|
|7/15/2016||BB&T Corporation||Downgrade||Buy -> Hold||N/A|
|4/6/2016||Susquehanna Bancshares Inc||Boost Price Target||$28.00 -> $30.00||N/A|
|1/15/2016||Buckingham Research||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$31.00||N/A|
|1/14/2016||Nomura||Lower Price Target||Buy||$32.00 -> $29.00||N/A|
Earnings History for CSX Corporation (NASDAQ:CSX)Earnings History by Quarter for CSX Corporation (NASDAQ CSX)
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|10/17/2017||Q3 2017||$0.51||$0.51||$2.77 billion||$2.74 billion||View||N/A|
|7/18/2017||Q2 2017||$0.59||$0.64||$2.85 billion||$2.93 billion||View||N/A|
|4/19/2017||Q1 2017||$0.43||$0.51||$2.76 billion||$2.87 billion||View||N/A|
|1/17/2017||Q416||$0.49||$0.49||$2.86 billion||$3.04 billion||View||Listen|
|10/12/2016||Q316||$0.45||$0.48||$2.69 billion||$2.71 billion||View||Listen|
|7/13/2016||Q216||$0.44||$0.47||$2.69 billion||$2.70 billion||View||Listen|
|4/12/2016||Q1||$0.37||$0.37||$2.73 billion||$2.62 billion||View||Listen|
|10/13/2015||Q315||$0.50||$0.52||$3.01 billion||$2.94 billion||View||Listen|
|7/14/2015||Q215||$0.53||$0.56||$3.12 billion||$3.06 million||View||Listen|
|4/14/2015||Q115||$0.44||$0.45||$3.05 billion||$3.00 billion||View||Listen|
|1/13/2015||Q414||$0.49||$0.49||$3.18 billion||$3.20 billion||View||Listen|
|10/14/2014||Q314||$0.47||$0.51||$3.14 billion||$3.20 billion||View||Listen|
|7/15/2014||Q214||$0.52||$0.53||$3.23 billion||$3.24 billion||View||Listen|
|4/15/2014||Q114||$0.38||$0.40||$2.98 billion||$3.01 billion||View||Listen|
|1/16/2014||Q413||$0.42||$0.42||$2.98 billion||$3.00 billion||View||Listen|
|10/16/2013||Q313||$0.43||$0.46||$2.94 billion||$3.00 billion||View||Listen|
|7/16/2013||Q2 2013||$0.47||$0.52||$3.00 billion||$3.07 billion||View||Listen|
|4/16/2013||Q1 2013||$0.40||$0.45||$2.92 billion||$2.96 billion||View||Listen|
|1/22/2013||Q4 2012||$0.39||$0.43||$2.85 billion||$2.90 billion||View||Listen|
Earnings Estimates for CSX Corporation (NASDAQ:CSX)
Current Year EPS Consensus Estimate: $2.21 EPS
Next Year EPS Consensus Estimate: $2.68 EPS
Current Dividend Information for CSX Corporation (NASDAQ:CSX)
|Payout Ratio:||41.24% (Trailing 12 Months of Earnings) |
36.20% (Based on This Year's Estimates)
29.85% (Based on Next Year's Estimates)
Dividend History by Quarter for CSX Corporation (NASDAQ CSX)
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Announced||Period||Amount||Yield||Ex-Dividend Date||Record Date||Payable Date|
Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History for CSX Corporation (NASDAQ:CSX)
Insider Ownership Percentage: 4.79%Insider Trades by Quarter for CSX Corporation (NASDAQ:CSX)
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 69.78%
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Details|
|7/21/2017||Ridge Lp Mantle||Director||Buy||1,357,000||$51.59||$70,007,630.00|| |
|4/24/2017||E Hunter Harrison||CEO||Buy||300,000||$50.20||$15,060,000.00|| |
|12/12/2016||Clarence W Gooden||President||Sell||28,587||$36.92||$1,055,432.04|| |
|11/7/2016||Clarence W Gooden||President||Sell||15,625||$32.00||$500,000.00|| |
|10/17/2016||Michael J Ward||Chairman||Sell||300,000||$30.97||$9,291,000.00|| |
|10/6/2016||Clarence W Gooden||President||Sell||16,129||$31.00||$499,999.00|| |
|9/26/2016||Clarence W Gooden||President||Sell||17,332||$29.44||$510,254.08|| |
|9/1/2015||David M Ratcliffe||Director||Buy||1,868||$26.84||$50,137.12|| |
|4/17/2015||Gilbert H Lamphere||Director||Sell||165,556||$32.38||$5,360,703.28|| |
|12/10/2014||Carolyn T Sizemore||VP||Sell||21,531||$36.04||$775,977.24|| |
|10/13/2014||Fredrik J Eliasson||CFO||Sell||40,000||$33.53||$1,341,200.00|| |
|10/13/2014||Oscar Munoz||COO||Sell||75,000||$33.77||$2,532,750.00|| |
|9/17/2014||Oscar Munoz||COO||Sell||37,500||$32.00||$1,200,000.00|| |
|9/15/2014||Oscar Munoz||COO||Sell||37,500||$31.50||$1,181,250.00|| |
|7/18/2014||Lisa A Mancini||SVP||Sell||40,000||$30.91||$1,236,400.00|| |
|7/18/2014||Michael J Ward||CEO||Sell||173,000||$31.02||$5,366,460.00|| |
|6/20/2014||Clarence W Gooden||EVP||Sell||32,200||$31.00||$998,200.00|| |
|6/6/2014||Clarence W Gooden||EVP||Sell||33,400||$30.00||$1,002,000.00|| |
|5/13/2014||Clarence Gooden||EVP||Sell||17,000||$29.50||$501,500.00|| |
|10/18/2013||Carolyn T Sizemore||VP||Sell||20,000||$25.43||$508,600.00|| |
|5/24/2013||Carolyn T Sizemore||VP||Sell||2,500||$25.48||$63,700.00|| |
Headline Trends for CSX Corporation (NASDAQ:CSX)
Latest Headlines for CSX Corporation (NASDAQ:CSX)
Loading headlines, please wait.
CSX Corporation (CSX) Chart for Saturday, October, 21, 2017