AbbVie Inc. (AbbVie) is a research-based biopharmaceutical company. The Company is engaged in the discovery, development, manufacture and sale of a range of pharmaceutical products. Its products are focused on treating conditions, such as chronic autoimmune diseases in rheumatology, gastroenterology and dermatology; oncology, including blood cancers; virology, including hepatitis C virus (HCV) and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV); neurological disorders, such as Parkinson's disease and multiple sclerosis; metabolic diseases, including thyroid disease and complications associated with cystic fibrosis, and other serious health conditions. It offers products in various categories, including HUMIRA (adalimumab), Oncology products, Virology Products, Additional Virology products, Metabolics/Hormones products, Endocrinology products and other products, which include Duopa and Duodopa (carbidopa and levodopa), Anesthesia products and ZINBRYTA (daclizumab).
Industry, Sector and Symbol:
- Sector: Medical
- Industry: Drug Manufacturers - Major
- Sub-Industry: Pharmaceuticals
- Symbol: NYSE:ABBV
- CUSIP: 00287Y10
- Web: www.abbvie.com
- Market Cap: $105.14 billion
- Outstanding Shares: 1,591,540,000
- 50 Day Moving Avg: $65.50
- 200 Day Moving Avg: $63.22
- 52 Week Range: $55.06 - $68.12
Sales & Book Value:
- Trailing P/E Ratio: 17.12
- Foreward P/E Ratio: 10.19
- P/E Growth: 0.83
- Annual Revenue: $26.22 billion
- Price / Sales: 4.01
- Book Value: $3.14 per share
- Price / Book: 21.04
- Annual Dividend: $2.56
- Dividend Yield: 3.9%
- EBIDTA: $11.15 billion
- Net Margins: 23.22%
- Return on Equity: 141.55%
- Return on Assets: 12.64%
- Debt-to-Equity Ratio: 5.76%
- Current Ratio: 1.79%
- Quick Ratio: 1.61%
- Average Volume: 5.81 million shs.
- Beta: 1.57
- Short Ratio: 4.9
Frequently Asked Questions for AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV)
What is AbbVie's stock symbol?
AbbVie trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "ABBV."
How often does AbbVie pay dividends? What is the dividend yield for AbbVie?
AbbVie declared a quarterly dividend on Friday, February 17th. Investors of record on Thursday, April 13th will be given a dividend of $0.64 per share on Monday, May 15th. This represents a $2.56 annualized dividend and a yield of 3.88%. The ex-dividend date of this dividend is Tuesday, April 11th. View AbbVie's Dividend History.
How will AbbVie's stock buyback program work?
AbbVie announced that its Board of Directors has approved a share repurchase program on Sunday, April 9th 2017, which permits the company to buyback $5,000,000,000.00 in shares, according to EventVestor. This buyback authorization permits the company to reacquire up to 5% of its shares through open market purchases. Shares buyback programs are typically an indication that the company's board believes its shares are undervalued.
How were AbbVie's earnings last quarter?
AbbVie Inc (NYSE:ABBV) announced its earnings results on Thursday, April, 27th. The company reported $1.28 EPS for the quarter, topping the Thomson Reuters' consensus estimate of $1.26 by $0.02. The company had revenue of $6.54 billion for the quarter, compared to analysts' expectations of $6.49 billion. AbbVie had a net margin of 23.22% and a return on equity of 141.55%. AbbVie's quarterly revenue was up 9.7% compared to the same quarter last year. During the same period in the previous year, the firm posted $1.15 earnings per share. View AbbVie's Earnings History.
When will AbbVie make its next earnings announcement?
What guidance has AbbVie issued on next quarter's earnings?
AbbVie issued an update on its FY17 earnings guidance on Thursday, April, 27th. The company provided earnings per share guidance of $5.44-5.54 for the period, compared to the Thomson Reuters consensus estimate of $5.49.
Where is AbbVie's stock going? Where will AbbVie's stock price be in 2017?
15 analysts have issued 12 month target prices for AbbVie's stock. Their forecasts range from $60.00 to $90.00. On average, they anticipate AbbVie's stock price to reach $72.21 in the next twelve months. View Analyst Ratings for AbbVie.
What are analysts saying about AbbVie stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about AbbVie stock:
- 1. Jefferies Group LLC analysts commented, "ABBV's IPR with CHRS will be heard this week, which looks challenging in light of the prior institution decision. However, the market already expects ABBV to lose and we do not see the '135 patent alone as critical to delaying biosimilars, indicating positive asymmetry in our view. We look at the key IPR arguments as well as the risk/ reward around the decision expected in May as we prepare to attend the hearing." (2/14/2017)
- 2. According to Zacks Investment Research, "AbbVie’s key drug Humira has been performing well and sales should continue to be driven by growing awareness, favorable clinical data, additional indications and expansion into new markets. Moreover, products like Viekira and Imbruvica have diversified AbbVie’s revenue base. Imbruvica has multi-billion dollar potential and AbbVie is exploring the potential to expand Imbruvica’s label into solid tumors and autoimmune diseases. AbbVie has a deep and promising pipeline and is also working on expanding its portfolio though additional deals. However, Viekira is facing intense pricing pressure and competition in the HCV market. Additionally, quite a few companies are working on bringing Humira biosimilars to market. Amgen’s biosimilar version of Humira received FDA approval in Sep 2016. Abbvie could see some of its dominant share in the arthritis market contract when Amgen’s new drug is launched." (9/28/2016)
- 3. Argus analysts commented, "strong" second quarter earnings print.The analysts noted that not only were AbbVie's results driven by sales of Humira and Imbruvica, but its pipeline also "strengthened" following the acquisition of Stemcentrix and a partnership with Boehringer Ingelheim for the commercial rights of a new immunology drug that is in a late stage trial.The analysts also stated that the earnings print confirmed Imbruvica's "rapid acceptance" which bodes well for future sales. Coupled with the Venclexta drug, AbbVie boasts two "powerful drugs" to treat first- and second-line CLL and other hematogical malignancies.Related Link: Investors Cheer AbbVie's Q2 Numbers, ForecastThe analysts also stated that AbbVie's stock is "attractively valued" at just 11.2x their 2017 earnings per share estimate, which is "well below" the average multiple of 14.5 of other companies under Argus' coverage.Finally, the analysts boosted their full-year 2016 adjusted earnings per share estimate to $4.84 from $4.80 and their 2017 earnings per share estimate to $5.95 from $5.90."The company has strengthened its product portfolio and pipeline through several deals over the past 12 months, and continues to post strong sales of Humira, aided by new indications," (8/8/2016)
Are investors shorting AbbVie?
AbbVie saw a decrease in short interest during the month of May. As of May 15th, there was short interest totalling 30,327,253 shares, a decrease of 7.1% from the April 28th total of 32,651,310 shares. Based on an average daily trading volume, of 5,390,470 shares, the days-to-cover ratio is currently 5.6 days. Currently, 1.9% of the company's stock are short sold.
Who are some of AbbVie's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to AbbVie include Pfizer (PFE), Novartis AG (NVS), Merck & Co. (MRK), Sanofi SA (SNY), GlaxoSmithKline plc (GSK), Bristol-Myers Squibb Co (BMY), AstraZeneca plc (AZN), Eli Lilly and Co (LLY), Shire PLC (SHPG), GW Pharmaceuticals PLC- (GWPH), Aerie Pharmaceuticals (AERI), Impax Laboratories (IPXL), TherapeuticsMD (TXMD), Retrophin (RTRX), Assembly Biosciences (ASMB), Rockwell Medical (RMTI), Zogenix (ZGNX) and Alimera Sciences (ALIM).
Who are AbbVie's key executives?
AbbVie's management team includes the folowing people:
- Richard A. Gonzalez, Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer
- William J. Chase, Executive Vice President, Chief Financial Officer
- Michael Severino M.D., Executive Vice President - Research & Development, Chief Scientific Officer
- Laura J. Schumacher, Executive Vice President, External Affairs, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary
- Carlos Alban, Executive Vice President - Commercial Operations
- Henry O. Gosebruch, Executive Vice President, Chief Strategy Officer
- Timothy J. Richmond, Senior Vice President - Human Resources
- Azita Saleki-Gerhardt Ph.D., Senior Vice President - Operations
- Robert A. Michael, Vice President, Controller
- Robert J. Alpern M.D., Independent Director
Who owns AbbVie stock?
AbbVie's stock is owned by many different of retail and institutional investors. Top institutional shareholders include Vanguard Group Inc. (0.00%), BlackRock Inc. (0.00%), State Street Corp (4.58%), Bank of New York Mellon Corp (1.14%), Morgan Stanley (0.00%) and State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co. (0.00%). Company insiders that own AbbVie stock include Carlos Alban, Laura J Schumacher, Richard A Gonzalez, Robert A Michael, Thomas A Hurwich, Timothy J Richmond and William J Chase. View Institutional Ownership Trends for AbbVie.
Who sold AbbVie stock? Who is selling AbbVie stock?
AbbVie's stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Janus Capital Management LLC, Glenview Capital Management LLC, Bank of New York Mellon Corp, APG Asset Management N.V., Miller Howard Investments Inc. NY, Parametric Portfolio Associates LLC, Fayez Sarofim & Co and Atalanta Sosnoff Capital LLC. Company insiders that have sold AbbVie stock in the last year include Carlos Alban, Laura J Schumacher, Richard A Gonzalez, Robert A Michael, Timothy J Richmond and William J Chase. View Insider Buying and Selling for AbbVie.
Who bought AbbVie stock? Who is buying AbbVie stock?
AbbVie's stock was bought by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including BlackRock Inc., Morgan Stanley, Vanguard Group Inc., Renaissance Technologies LLC, State Street Corp, Prudential Financial Inc., Swiss National Bank and Atlantic Trust Group LLC. View Insider Buying and Selling for AbbVie.
How do I buy AbbVie stock?
Shares of AbbVie can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is AbbVie's stock price today?
MarketBeat Community Rating for AbbVie (NYSE ABBV)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about AbbVie and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe the stock will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe the stock will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.
One share of AbbVie stock can currently be purchased for approximately $66.06.
Earnings History for AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV)Earnings History by Quarter for AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV)
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|7/27/2017|| || || || || || || || |
|4/27/2017||Q1 2017||$1.26||$1.28||$6.49 billion||$6.54 billion||View||N/A|
|1/27/2017||Q416||$1.20||$1.20||$6.92 billion||$6.78 billion||View||Listen|
|10/28/2016||Q316||$1.21||$1.21||$6.55 billion||$6.43 billion||View||Listen|
|7/29/2016||Q216||$1.20||$1.26||$6.20 billion||$6.43 billion||View||Listen|
|4/28/2016||Q116||$1.14||$1.15||$6.03 billion||$5.96 billion||View||Listen|
|1/29/2016||Q415||$1.12||$1.13||$6.41 billion||$6.36 billion||View||Listen|
|10/30/2015||Q315||$1.08||$1.13||$5.90 billion||$4.94 billion||View||Listen|
|7/24/2015||Q215||$1.06||$1.08||$5.60 billion||$5.48 billion||View||Listen|
|4/23/2015||Q115||$0.85||$0.94||$718.50 million||$5.04 billion||View||Listen|
|1/30/2015||Q414||$0.86||$0.89||$5.34 billion||$5.45 billion||View||Listen|
|10/31/2014||Q3||$0.77||$0.89||$4.82 million||$5.02 million||View||Listen|
|7/25/2014||Q214||$0.76||$0.82||$4.70 billion||$4.93 billion||View||Listen|
|4/25/2014||Q114||$0.68||$0.71||$4.33 billion||$4.56 billion||View||Listen|
|1/31/2014||Q413||$0.82||$0.82||$5.10 billion||$5.11 billion||View||Listen|
|10/25/2013||Q313||$0.78||$0.82||$4.52 billion||$4.66 billion||View||Listen|
|7/26/2013||Q2 2013||$0.79||$0.92||$4.54 billion||$4.69 billion||View||Listen|
|4/26/2013||Q1 2013||$0.67||$0.68||$4.17 billion||$4.33 billion||View||Listen|
Earnings Estimates for AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV)
Current Year EPS Consensus Estimate: $5.53 EPS
Next Year EPS Consensus Estimate: $6.48 EPS
Current Dividend Information for AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV)
|Most Recent Dividend:||5/15/2017|
|Dividend Growth:||12.50% (3 Year Average)|
|Payout Ratio:||70.52% (Trailing 12 Months of Earnings) |
46.29% (Based on This Year's Estimates)
39.51% (Based on Next Year's Estimates)
|Track Record:||44 Years of Consecutive Dividend Growth|
Dividend History by Quarter for AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV)
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Announced||Period||Amount||Yield||Ex-Dividend Date||Record Date||Payable Date|
Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History for AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV)
Insider Ownership Percentage: 0.11%Insider Trades by Quarter for AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV)
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 66.67%
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Details|
|5/19/2017||Richard A Gonzalez||Chairman||Sell||71,235||$65.49||$4,665,180.15|| |
|5/18/2017||William J Chase||CFO||Sell||38,300||$65.35||$2,502,905.00|| |
|5/4/2017||Carlos Alban||EVP||Sell||43,000||$67.00||$2,881,000.00|| |
|3/10/2017||Laura J Schumacher||Insider||Sell||40,000||$65.26||$2,610,400.00|| |
|3/10/2017||Robert A Michael||VP||Sell||5,132||$65.29||$335,068.28|| |
|3/10/2017||Timothy J Richmond||SVP||Sell||22,451||$65.29||$1,465,825.79|| |
|3/8/2017||Richard A Gonzalez||Chairman||Sell||72,016||$64.25||$4,627,028.00|| |
|12/2/2016||William J Chase||CFO||Sell||6,600||$59.19||$390,654.00|| |
|9/7/2016||Laura J Schumacher||Insider||Sell||50,000||$65.00||$3,250,000.00|| |
|6/24/2016||Laura J Schumacher||EVP||Sell||186,106||$60.03||$11,171,943.18|| |
|6/2/2016||Richard A Gonzalez||CEO||Sell||285,953||$63.82||$18,249,520.46|| |
|5/11/2016||Richard A Gonzalez||CEO||Sell||39,000||$63.80||$2,488,200.00|| |
|5/10/2016||Carlos Alban||EVP||Sell||47,438||$63.52||$3,013,261.76|| |
|5/10/2016||Thomas A Hurwich||VP||Sell||6,000||$63.59||$381,540.00|| |
|5/10/2016||Timothy J Richmond||SVP||Sell||21,583||$63.52||$1,370,952.16|| |
|3/8/2016||Laura J Schumacher||EVP||Sell||25,000||$56.09||$1,402,250.00|| |
|3/1/2016||Timothy J Richmond||SVP||Sell||12,866||$55.05||$708,273.30|| |
|4/28/2015||Richard A Gonzalez||CEO||Sell||102,964||$64.67||$6,658,681.88|| |
|3/2/2015||Laura J Schumacher||EVP||Sell||25,000||$60.30||$1,507,500.00|| |
|3/2/2015||Timothy J Richmond||SVP||Sell||14,388||$60.33||$868,028.04|| |
|12/22/2014||William J Chase||CFO||Sell||8,495||$68.00||$577,660.00|| |
|3/4/2014||Richard Gonzalez||CEO||Sell||4,799||$51.20||$245,708.80|| |
|3/3/2014||Azita Saleki-Gerhardt||SVP||Sell||2,443||$50.25||$122,760.75|| |
|3/3/2014||Carlos Alban||EVP||Sell||2,882||$50.09||$144,359.38|| |
|3/3/2014||William Chase||CFO||Sell||3,948||$50.22||$198,268.56|| |
|9/17/2013||Azita Saleki-Gerhardt||SVP||Sell||10,473||$45.84||$480,082.32|| |
|8/19/2013||Azita Saleki-Gerhardt||SVP||Sell||1,270||$43.01||$54,622.70|| |
|8/12/2013||Azita Saleki-Gerhardt||SVP||Sell||8,851||$44.91||$397,498.41|| |
|3/11/2013||Edward J Rapp||Director||Buy||2,500||$37.67||$94,175.00|| |
|2/4/2013||Frederick H Waddell||Director||Buy||2,000||$37.05||$74,100.00|| |
Headline Trends for AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV)
Latest Headlines for AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV)
AbbVie (ABBV) Chart for Monday, May, 29, 2017