About CBS Co. Common Stock (NYSE:CBS)
CBS Corporation operates as a mass media company worldwide. The company operates through four segments: Entertainment, Cable Networks, Publishing, and Local Media. The Entertainment segment distributes a schedule of news and public affairs broadcasts, and sports and entertainment programming; produces, acquires, and/or distributes programming, including series, specials, news, and public affairs; operates online content networks for information and entertainment; produces, acquires, and distributes theatrical motion pictures; and digital streaming services. The Cable Networks segment offers subscription program services, such as original series, theatrical feature films, documentaries, boxing and other sports-related programming, and special events. This segment also operates CBS Sports Network, a 24-hour cable program service that provides college sports and related content; and Smithsonian Networks, which operates a channel featuring cultural, historical, scientific, and educational programs. The Publishing segment publishes and distributes adult and children's consumer books in printed, digital, and audio formats; develops special imprints and publishes titles based on the products of the company, as well as that of third parties; and distributes products for other publishers. This segment also delivers content; and promotes its products on its Websites, social media, and general Internet sites, as well as those related to individual titles. The Local Media segment owns 29 broadcast television stations; and operates local Websites, including content from the company's television stations. The company was founded in 1986 and is headquartered in New York, New York.
Industry, Sector and Symbol
Industry Television broadcasting stations
Trailing P/E Ratio13.39
Forward P/E Ratio10.67
Sales & Book Value
Annual Sales$13.69 billion
Price / Sales1.55
Cash Flow$5.0323 per share
Price / Cash11.15
Book Value$5.16 per share
Price / Book10.87
EPS (Most Recent Fiscal Year)$4.19
Net Income$357 million
Return on Equity77.15%
Return on Assets8.40%
CBS Co. Common Stock (NYSE:CBS) Frequently Asked Questions
What is CBS Co. Common Stock's stock symbol?
CBS Co. Common Stock trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "CBS."
How often does CBS Co. Common Stock pay dividends? What is the dividend yield for CBS Co. Common Stock?
CBS Co. Common Stock declared a quarterly dividend on Friday, May 25th. Investors of record on Friday, June 8th will be paid a dividend of $0.18 per share on Sunday, July 1st. This represents a $0.72 dividend on an annualized basis and a yield of 1.28%. The ex-dividend date of this dividend is Thursday, June 7th. View CBS Co. Common Stock's Dividend History.
How were CBS Co. Common Stock's earnings last quarter?
CBS Co. Common Stock (NYSE:CBS) released its earnings results on Thursday, May, 3rd. The media conglomerate reported $1.34 earnings per share for the quarter, topping analysts' consensus estimates of $1.19 by $0.15. The media conglomerate earned $3.76 billion during the quarter, compared to the consensus estimate of $3.65 billion. CBS Co. Common Stock had a net margin of 7.94% and a return on equity of 77.15%. The firm's revenue was up 12.5% compared to the same quarter last year. During the same quarter in the previous year, the company earned $1.04 EPS. View CBS Co. Common Stock's Earnings History.
When is CBS Co. Common Stock's next earnings date?
What price target have analysts set for CBS?
24 brokers have issued 12-month price objectives for CBS Co. Common Stock's shares. Their forecasts range from $55.00 to $90.00. On average, they anticipate CBS Co. Common Stock's share price to reach $68.4674 in the next year. View Analyst Ratings for CBS Co. Common Stock.
What are Wall Street analysts saying about CBS Co. Common Stock stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about CBS Co. Common Stock stock:
- 1. Pivotal Research analysts commented, "We continue to value CBS stock at $64 on a YE2018 basis and rate it Hold. CBS reported revenue of $3.9bn for 4Q17, +11% vs. the year-ago period, with adjusted operating income of $739mm and a 19% margin as well as adjusted EPS of $1.20. We forecast +6% revenue growth and $757mm of OI, or 20% margins, with an EPS of $1.15 vs. StreetAccount consensus of +5% revenue growth, $737mm of OI and EPS of $1.14 Revenues were up most at the Entertainment segment, rising +18% on slightly higher margins. Cable networks rose by +9% and Publishing was up by +12% while Local Media was down -14%, largely because of the absence of political advertising. Across the company, non-advertising activities were responsible for more than all of the growth in the quarter, as advertising was down by -3% despite the inclusion of the newly acquired Australia’s Ten Network." (2/16/2018)
- 2. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Shares of CBS have underperformed the industry in the past six months. CBS, which remains highly vulnerable to the advertising market, is likely to report weaker political advertising revenues in the fourth quarter of 2017. In the prior-year quarter, the company benefited from strong political advertising. Moreover, currency fluctuations and higher expenditure for original programming might prove to be a drag. However, increasing demand for content, rise in retransmission rates, expansion of direct-to-consumer business and sturdy digital presence bode well. We believe with the launch of Showtime's streaming service; online news channel, CBSN; and over-the-top service, CBS All Access, the company is generating incremental revenues. Moreover, the company aims to attain $2.5 billion of revenues from retransmission and reverse compensation by 2020." (1/8/2018)
- 3. Benchmark Co. analysts commented, "We continue to rate CBS our favorite content play in the media space, and at just 8x 2018E EV/EBITDA, we believe shares look attractively priced even if a softer overall advertising environment continues." (10/24/2017)
Who are some of CBS Co. Common Stock's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to CBS Co. Common Stock include SKY (SKYAY), CBS (CBS.A), Rtl Group (RGLXF), Grupo Televisa SAB (TV), Liberty Media Formula One Series C (FWONK), Liberty Media Formula One Series A (FWONA), Liberty Media Formula One Series B (FWONB), PROSIEBENSAT 1/ADR (PBSFY), Nexstar Media Group (NXST), Tribune Company Common Stock (TRCO), Sinclair Broadcast Group (SBGI), GANNETT CO INC. Common Stock (TGNA), TF1 Group (TVFCF), Gray Television (GTN) and E. W. Scripps (SSP).
Who are CBS Co. Common Stock's key executives?
CBS Co. Common Stock's management team includes the folowing people:
- Mr. Leslie Moonves II, Chairman, Pres & CEO (Age 68)
- Mr. Joseph R. Ianniello, Chief Operating Officer (Age 50)
- Mr. Anthony G. Ambrosio, Sr. EVP, Chief Admin. Officer & Chief HR Officer (Age 57)
- Mr. Lawrence P. Tu, Sr. EVP & Chief Legal Officer (Age 64)
- Mr. Gil D. Schwartz, Sr. EVP & Chief Communications Officer (Age 66)
Has CBS Co. Common Stock been receiving favorable news coverage?
Headlines about CBS stock have been trending somewhat positive on Monday, Accern Sentiment Analysis reports. The research group identifies negative and positive press coverage by monitoring more than twenty million blog and news sources in real-time. Accern ranks coverage of public companies on a scale of negative one to positive one, with scores closest to one being the most favorable. CBS Co. Common Stock earned a news sentiment score of 0.16 on Accern's scale. They also gave news coverage about the media conglomerate an impact score of 47.44 out of 100, meaning that recent press coverage is somewhat unlikely to have an effect on the stock's share price in the near term.
Who are CBS Co. Common Stock's major shareholders?
CBS Co. Common Stock's stock is owned by a variety of of retail and institutional investors. Top institutional shareholders include JPMorgan Chase & Co. (1.70%), Boston Partners (1.11%), Sound Shore Management Inc. CT (0.92%), Victory Capital Management Inc. (0.67%), Artisan Partners Limited Partnership (0.59%) and State of New Jersey Common Pension Fund D (0.55%). Company insiders that own CBS Co. Common Stock stock include Anthony G Ambrosio, Arnold Kopelson, Bruce S Gordon, Charles K Gifford, Eugene Beukman, Gil D Schwartz, Jonathan Anschell, Joseph R Ianniello, Lawrence Tu and Leslie Moonves. View Institutional Ownership Trends for CBS Co. Common Stock.
Which institutional investors are selling CBS Co. Common Stock stock?
CBS stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including JPMorgan Chase & Co., Artisan Partners Limited Partnership, Victory Capital Management Inc., Boston Partners, Korea Investment CORP, Federated Investors Inc. PA, Todd Asset Management LLC and Sei Investments Co.. Company insiders that have sold CBS Co. Common Stock company stock in the last year include Anthony G Ambrosio, Arnold Kopelson, Bruce S Gordon, Charles K Gifford, Eugene Beukman, Gil D Schwartz, Jonathan Anschell, Joseph R Ianniello and Leslie Moonves. View Insider Buying and Selling for CBS Co. Common Stock.
Which institutional investors are buying CBS Co. Common Stock stock?
CBS stock was purchased by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including State of New Jersey Common Pension Fund D, Newport Trust Co, Letko Brosseau & Associates Inc., Sound Shore Management Inc. CT, Kovitz Investment Group Partners LLC, South Dakota Investment Council, Natixis and A.R.T. Advisors LLC. View Insider Buying and Selling for CBS Co. Common Stock.
How do I buy shares of CBS Co. Common Stock?
Shares of CBS can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages with access to the U.S. stock market include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is CBS Co. Common Stock's stock price today?
One share of CBS stock can currently be purchased for approximately $56.11.
How big of a company is CBS Co. Common Stock?
CBS Co. Common Stock has a market capitalization of $21.26 billion and generates $13.69 billion in revenue each year. The media conglomerate earns $357 million in net income (profit) each year or $4.19 on an earnings per share basis. CBS Co. Common Stock employs 12,700 workers across the globe.
How can I contact CBS Co. Common Stock?
CBS Co. Common Stock's mailing address is 51 WEST 52ND STREET, NEW YORK NY, 10019. The media conglomerate can be reached via phone at 212-975-4321 or via email at [email protected]
MarketBeat Community Rating for CBS Co. Common Stock (CBS)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about CBS Co. Common Stock and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe CBS will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe CBS will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.