Medtronic Public Limited Company (Medtronic) is a medical technology and services company. The Company develops, manufactures and markets its medical devices and technologies to hospitals, physicians, clinicians and patients in approximately 160 countries. The Company operates in four segments: Cardiac and Vascular Group, Minimally Invasive Technologies Group, Restorative Therapies Group and Diabetes Group. The Cardiac and Vascular Group segment includes Cardiac Rhythm & Heart Failure, Coronary & Structural Heart and Aortic & Peripheral Vascula. Its Minimally Invasive Technologies Group segment includes Surgical Solutions and Patient Monitoring and Recovery. Its Restorative Therapies Group segment includes Spine, Neuromodulation, Surgical Technologies and Neurovascular. Its Diabetes Group segment includes Intensive Insulin Management, Non-Intensive Diabetes Therapies and Diabetes Services & Solutions. The Company's subsidiaries include Medtronic, Inc. and HeartWare International, Inc.
Industry, Sector and Symbol:
- Sector: Medical
- Industry: Medical Appliances & Equipment
- Sub-Industry: Health Care Equipment
- Symbol: NYSE:MDT
- CUSIP: 58505510
- Web: www.medtronic.com
- Market Cap: $116.48 billion
- Outstanding Shares: 1,368,885,000
- 50 Day Moving Avg: $82.53
- 200 Day Moving Avg: $78.56
- 52 Week Range: $69.35 - $89.27
Sales & Book Value:
- Trailing P/E Ratio: 30.04
- Foreward P/E Ratio: 15.64
- P/E Growth: 2.34
- Annual Revenue: $29.36 billion
- Price / Sales: 3.97
- Book Value: $36.08 per share
- Price / Book: 2.36
- Annual Dividend: $1.72
- Dividend Yield: 2.0%
- EBIDTA: $9.09 billion
- Net Margins: 14.63%
- Return on Equity: 12.36%
- Return on Assets: 6.31%
- Debt-to-Equity Ratio: 0.58%
- Current Ratio: 2.35%
- Quick Ratio: 1.96%
- Average Volume: 4.23 million shs.
- Beta: 0.97
- Short Ratio: 2.29
Frequently Asked Questions for Medtronic plc. (NYSE:MDT)
What is Medtronic plc.'s stock symbol?
Medtronic plc. trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "MDT."
How often does Medtronic plc. pay dividends? What is the dividend yield for Medtronic plc.?
Medtronic plc. declared a quarterly dividend on Friday, March 10th. Investors of record on Friday, March 24th will be given a dividend of $0.43 per share on Thursday, April 13th. This represents a $1.72 dividend on an annualized basis and a dividend yield of 2.02%. The ex-dividend date of this dividend is Wednesday, March 22nd. View Medtronic plc.'s Dividend History.
How were Medtronic plc.'s earnings last quarter?
Medtronic plc. (NYSE:MDT) issued its quarterly earnings results on Thursday, May, 25th. The company reported $1.33 earnings per share for the quarter, topping the Thomson Reuters' consensus estimate of $1.31 by $0.02. The company had revenue of $7.92 billion for the quarter, compared to the consensus estimate of $7.86 billion. Medtronic plc. had a net margin of 14.63% and a return on equity of 12.36%. The business's revenue was up 4.6% on a year-over-year basis. During the same period in the previous year, the firm earned $1.27 EPS. View Medtronic plc.'s Earnings History.
Where is Medtronic plc.'s stock going? Where will Medtronic plc.'s stock price be in 2017?
26 brokerages have issued 12-month price targets for Medtronic plc.'s stock. Their forecasts range from $77.00 to $102.00. On average, they expect Medtronic plc.'s stock price to reach $87.80 in the next twelve months. View Analyst Ratings for Medtronic plc..
What are analysts saying about Medtronic plc. stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Medtronic plc. stock:
- 1. Needham & Company LLC analysts commented, "F4Q17 revenue and EPS beat consensus and initial FY18 guidance was in line with consensus. Organic revenue growth was steady at 4.0% vs. 4.1% in F3Q17 with new products adding ~370 bps, emerging markets adding ~125 bps and services & solutions adding ~15 bps. Operating margin was above consensus and up 10 bps Y/Y (or 40 bps Y/Y CC). MDT’s product cycle remains strong with significant FY18 launches including: the Resolute Onyx DES, MiniMed 670G insulin pump, Signia powered stapler, new LigaSure instruments, Intellis spinal cord stimulator, Evolut PRO TAVR, and MRI CRT-P quadripolar system." (5/25/2017)
- 2. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Ahead of its fourth quarter fiscal 2017 result, we believe Medtronic will do well banking on strong performances of major business groups with sustainability across all regions. Earlier, the company observed solid growth trend in the U.S. on healthy global acceptance of its therapies. Particularly, we are optimistic about the gradually stabilizing trend in the global CRHF market. This yet-to-be-reported quarter is expected to be no exception to that. The company is currently on a spree of gaining regulatory approvals for its minimally invasive devices which is quite encouraging. On the flip side, escalating costs and expenses weighing on margins is a concern. Also, unfavorable foreign exchange continues to remain a drag. A dull fiscal guidance fails to indicate any chances of respite soon. This has been reflected in the company’s share price trend too. In the past one month, Medtronic consistently traded below the Zacks categorized Medical Product industry." (5/23/2017)
- 3. BTIG Research analysts commented, "At last Friday's American College of Cardiology (ACC) meeting, two-year data on MDT's SURTAVI trial for intermediate-risk was presented. At the two-year mark, all cause death/stroke were similar for TAVR using MDT's valves (12.6%) vs. surgery (14%) though use of TAVR reduced 30-day strokes, kidney injury, afib, and hospital stay. While we were surprised TAVR was not superior to surgery as in other trials, it seems surgical results improved. Still, TAVR is at least as good with less invasiveness. While not the same trials, investors have tried to compare MDT's CoreValve to Edwards' (EW, Neutral) SAPIEN 3 based on available data. At 1 year, all-cause death and stroke were equivalent at 8.1% for CoreValve and 8.4% for SAPIEN 3. Overall, patient selection (EW's intermediate risk pool may have had more comorbidities) and device design (MDT mainly used its older valve) make it tough to directly compare both trials; but we believe the valves are essentially equivalent and either one should be chosen over surgery." (3/20/2017)
- 4. Wedbush analysts commented, "Medtronic's broad product portfolio allows the company to navigate through temporary disruptions it might encounter in any given business unit, and today's FY3Q17 earnings results showcased management's ability to leverage its size and recover more quickly than we had expected from its disappointing FY2Q17 performance reported in November. With MDT's share price having mostly recovered from the post FY2Q17 selloff, we believe current valuation levels adequately reflect MDT's risk/reward profile and prefer to wait on the sidelines for a better entry point. ' FY3Q17 revenue of $7,283 million (+6% yr/yr, ex-FX) beat consensus revenue estimate of $7,220 million. Revenue from all four segments exceeded consensus, with the biggest contribution from Minimally Invasive Therapies Group (MTIG) and Diabetes' Our $85 PT is based on applying a 16x P/E multiple on our MDT forward EPS estimate, 12 months hence." (2/22/2017)
- 5. Evercore ISI analysts commented, "MDT started 2017 with a solid execution, highlighted by all around revenue beat and operating margins that were generally in line with ST (came in above us). The importance of this Q cannot be underestimated in our mind, as sentiment had turned negative (post a disappointing 1H) and the stock multiple (3-6x discount to peer group) was see-sawing precariously at ~15-16x P/E. While the bar had been lowered, MDT needed to deliver to flawless Q to instill investor confidence and start the path towards multiple correction (vs. group). The company began its first step, highlighted by a solid revenue beat, driven by high single digit growth in CR&HF. This is a key segment, and the ~8% growth should provide comfort against the bear thesis of competitive share losses / replacement cycle headwinds. We were also encouraged to see ~30% growth in TAVR, and a full rollout of the 34mm valve (launched only in 50% of centers) plus Intermediate Risk approval in early 2018 bodes well. Other key drivers in 2018 include the full commercial launch of 670G in Diabetes, Resolute Onyx launch, continued growth in AF, Link, DCBs, and the continued turnaround in Spine provides incremental confidence in MDT being able to sustain ~4% organic topline in the medium term. The second leg of value creation will rest on margin expansion, with the ST still skeptical of the company's ability to show margin expansion on a reported basis (including the impact of Fx hedges). We believe that the margin expansion thesis will play out in 2018, and will play a huge role in MDT's ability to close its P/E gap vs. peer group average. We expect this combination of a potential multiple reflation trade along with upside from capital deployment (incremental ~$3 Bn could potentially be accessible in near term post IRS settlement) to drive value for investors over the next 12 months." (2/21/2017)
Who are some of Medtronic plc.'s key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Medtronic plc. include Abbott Laboratories (ABT), Stryker (SYK), Boston Scientific (BSX), Intuitive Surgical (ISRG), Zimmer Biomet Holdings (ZBH), Edwards Lifesciences Corp (EW), Smith & Nephew plc (SNN), Hologic (HOLX), Align Technology (ALGN), ResMed (RMD), Varian Medical Systems (VAR), Steris PLC (STE), ABIOMED (ABMD), Masimo (MASI), NuVasive (NUVA), Globus Medical (GMED), Wright Medical Group (WMGI) and Nevro Corp (NVRO).
Who owns Medtronic plc. stock?
Medtronic plc.'s stock is owned by a variety of of institutional and retail investors. Top institutional investors include Vanguard Group Inc. (7.47%), BlackRock Inc. (6.36%), Wellington Management Group LLP (5.00%), State Street Corp (4.61%), Massachusetts Financial Services Co. MA (4.28%) and FMR LLC (4.17%). Company insiders that own Medtronic plc. stock include Bryan C Hanson, Carol A Surface, Gary Lee Ellis, Geoffrey Martha, Hoedt Rob Ten, Hooman Hakami, James T Lenehan, Kendall J Powell, Omar Ishrak, Richard Kuntz, Robert C Pozen and Shirley A Jackson. View Institutional Ownership Trends for Medtronic plc..
Who sold Medtronic plc. stock? Who is selling Medtronic plc. stock?
Medtronic plc.'s stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Wellington Management Group LLP, FMR LLC, Primecap Management Co. CA, Manning & Napier Advisors LLC, State Street Corp, Ameriprise Financial Inc., TIAA CREF Investment Management LLC and Schroder Investment Management Group. Company insiders that have sold Medtronic plc. stock in the last year include Bryan C Hanson, Carol A Surface, Gary Lee Ellis, Geoffrey Martha, Hoedt Rob Ten, Hooman Hakami, Kendall J Powell, Omar Ishrak, Richard Kuntz and Shirley A Jackson. View Insider Buying and Selling for Medtronic plc..
Who bought Medtronic plc. stock? Who is buying Medtronic plc. stock?
Medtronic plc.'s stock was bought by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including BlackRock Inc., Lazard Asset Management LLC, Vanguard Group Inc., Wells Fargo & Company MN, Massachusetts Financial Services Co. MA, Swiss National Bank, Canada Pension Plan Investment Board and Geode Capital Management LLC. Company insiders that have bought Medtronic plc. stock in the last two years include James T Lenehan and Robert C Pozen. View Insider Buying and Selling for Medtronic plc..
How do I buy Medtronic plc. stock?
Shares of Medtronic plc. can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
How much does a share of Medtronic plc. stock cost?
One share of Medtronic plc. stock can currently be purchased for approximately $85.09.
Earnings History for Medtronic plc. (NYSE:MDT)Earnings History by Quarter for Medtronic plc. (NYSE:MDT)
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|5/25/2017||Q4 17||$1.31||$1.33||$7.86 billion||$7.92 billion||View||N/A|
|2/21/2017||1/31/2017||$1.11||$1.12||$7.22 billion||$7.28 billion||View||Listen|
|11/22/2016||Q217||$1.11||$1.12||$7.46 billion||$7.35 billion||View||Listen|
|8/25/2016||Q117||$1.01||$1.03||$7.17 billion||$7.20 billion||View||Listen|
|5/31/2016||Q416||$1.26||$1.27||$7.49 billion||$7.57 billion||View||Listen|
|3/1/2016||Q316||$1.06||$1.06||$6.99 billion||$6.93 billion||View||Listen|
|12/3/2015||Q216||$1.00||$1.03||$7.08 billion||$7.06 billion||View||Listen|
|9/3/2015||Q116||$1.01||$1.02||$7.03 billion||$7.27 billion||View||Listen|
|6/2/2015||Q415||$1.11||$1.16||$7.18 billion||$7.30 billion||View||Listen|
|2/17/2015||Q3||$0.97||$1.01||$4.25 million||$4.32 million||View||Listen|
|11/18/2014||Q2||$0.96||$0.96||$4.37 million||$4.40 million||View||Listen|
|8/19/2014||Q115||$0.92||$0.93||$4.25 billion||$4.27 billion||View||Listen|
|5/20/2014||Q414||$1.12||$1.12||$4.58 billion||$4.60 billion||View||Listen|
|2/18/2014||Q314||$0.91||$0.91||$4.15 billion||$4.20 billion||View||Listen|
|11/19/2013||Q214||$0.90||$0.91||$4.18 billion||$4.20 billion||View||Listen|
|8/20/2013||Q1 2014||$0.88||$0.88||$4.11 billion||$4.10 billion||View||Listen|
|5/21/2013||Q4 2013||$1.03||$1.10||$4.39 billion||$4.50 billion||View||Listen|
|2/19/2013||Q3 2013||$0.91||$0.93||$4.03 billion||$4.03 billion||View||Listen|
Earnings Estimates for Medtronic plc. (NYSE:MDT)
2017 EPS Consensus Estimate: $4.62
2018 EPS Consensus Estimate: $4.92
2019 EPS Consensus Estimate: $5.38
(Data provided by Zacks Investment Research)
|Quarter||Number of Estimates||Low Estimate||High Estimate||Average Estimate|
Current Dividend Information for Medtronic plc. (NYSE:MDT)
|Most Recent Dividend:||4/13/2017|
|Dividend Growth:||25.50% (3 Year Average)|
|Payout Ratio:||57.14% (Trailing 12 Months of Earnings) |
34.68% (Based on This Year's Estimates)
31.62% (Based on Next Year's Estimates)
|Track Record:||39 Years of Consecutive Dividend Growth|
Dividend History by Quarter for Medtronic plc. (NYSE:MDT)
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Announced||Period||Amount||Yield||Ex-Dividend Date||Record Date||Payable Date|
Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History for Medtronic plc. (NYSE:MDT)
Insider Ownership Percentage: 0.25%Insider Trades by Quarter for Medtronic plc. (NYSE:MDT)
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 82.71%
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Details|
|3/20/2017||Hoedt Rob Ten||EVP||Sell||50,757||$81.58||$4,140,756.06|| |
|3/15/2017||Omar Ishrak||CEO||Sell||95,000||$82.82||$7,867,900.00|| |
|3/2/2017||Hooman Hakami||EVP||Sell||52,316||$82.33||$4,307,176.28|| |
|12/13/2016||Robert C. Pozen||Director||Buy||13,660||$73.21||$1,000,048.60|| |
|11/23/2016||James T. Lenehan||Director||Buy||2,000||$73.27||$146,540.00|| |
|9/27/2016||Richard Kuntz||VP||Sell||17,141||$86.70||$1,486,124.70|| |
|9/26/2016||Richard Kuntz||VP||Sell||25,199||$86.67||$2,183,997.33|| |
|9/15/2016||Kendall J. Powell||Director||Sell||7,907||$85.45||$675,653.15|| |
|9/15/2016||Omar Ishrak||CEO||Sell||61,925||$84.93||$5,259,290.25|| |
|8/29/2016||Bryan C Hanson||EVP||Sell||15,000||$87.00||$1,305,000.00|| |
|7/26/2016||Bryan C Hanson||EVP||Sell||15,000||$87.00||$1,305,000.00|| |
|7/15/2016||Geoffrey Martha||EVP||Sell||3,766||$88.26||$332,387.16|| |
|7/13/2016||Gary Lee Ellis||EVP||Sell||35,495||$88.64||$3,146,276.80|| |
|7/13/2016||Shirley A Jackson||Director||Sell||2,104||$88.64||$186,498.56|| |
|7/6/2016||Carol A. Surface||SVP||Sell||9,787||$87.08||$852,251.96|| |
|7/5/2016||Bryan C. Hanson||EVP||Sell||15,272||$87.11||$1,330,343.92|| |
|6/3/2016||Richard Kuntz||VP||Sell||49,905||$82.60||$4,122,153.00|| |
|4/1/2016||Richard Kuntz||VP||Sell||4,000||$75.22||$300,880.00|| |
|3/18/2016||Shirley A Jackson||Director||Sell||1,238||$75.60||$93,592.80|| |
|3/17/2016||Omar Ishrak||CEO||Sell||23,799||$76.15||$1,812,293.85|| |
|3/4/2016||Bryan C Hanson||EVP||Sell||5,000||$75.00||$375,000.00|| |
|2/5/2016||Bryan C. Hanson||EVP||Sell||5,000||$76.14||$380,700.00|| |
|1/8/2016||Bryan C Hanson||EVP||Sell||5,000||$75.00||$375,000.00|| |
|12/4/2015||Richard Kuntz||VP||Sell||13,715||$78.06||$1,070,592.90|| |
|9/15/2015||Omar Ishrak||CEO||Sell||20,000||$69.43||$1,388,600.00|| |
|7/14/2015||Carol A Surface||SVP||Sell||13,722||$75.83||$1,040,539.26|| |
|4/6/2015||Richard Kuntz||VP||Sell||31,768||$77.39||$2,458,525.52|| |
|3/25/2015||Gary Lee Ellis||CFO||Sell||43,183||$77.81||$3,360,069.23|| |
|3/13/2015||Omar Ishrak||CEO||Sell||20,000||$76.24||$1,524,800.00|| |
|2/19/2015||Christopher J Oconnell||EVP||Sell||50,361||$78.22||$3,939,237.42|| |
|12/19/2014||Richard Kuntz||VP||Sell||12,855||$74.54||$958,211.70|| |
|12/2/2014||Shirley A Jackson||Director||Sell||1,102||$74.43||$82,021.86|| |
|11/28/2014||Christopher J Oconnell||EVP||Sell||42,921||$73.95||$3,174,007.95|| |
|10/6/2014||Christopher J Oconnell||EVP||Sell||15,388||$64.98||$999,912.24|| |
|8/26/2014||Christopher J Oconnell||EVP||Sell||28,000||$63.57||$1,779,960.00|| |
|8/26/2014||Shirley A Jackson||Director||Sell||2,769||$63.66||$176,274.54|| |
|4/17/2014||Catherine Szyman||VP||Sell||29,420||$58.79||$1,729,601.80|| |
|4/9/2014||Richard Kuntz||VP||Sell||2,512||$60.98||$153,181.76|| |
|4/1/2014||Gary Lee Ellis||CFO||Sell||4,246||$61.48||$261,044.08|| |
|3/28/2014||Christopher Oconnell||EVP||Sell||1,982||$60.39||$119,692.98|| |
|3/20/2014||Catherine Szyman||VP||Sell||14,979||$59.57||$892,299.03|| |
|3/14/2014||Omar Ishrak||CEO||Sell||10,000||$59.12||$591,200.00|| |
|3/10/2014||Neil Ayotte||VP||Sell||1,845||$59.64||$110,035.80|| |
|12/4/2013||Neil Ayotte||VP||Sell||1,729||$57.14||$98,795.06|| |
|9/13/2013||Omar Ishrak||CEO||Sell||10,000||$53.58||$535,800.00|| |
|8/26/2013||Catherine Szyman||VP||Sell||56,998||$52.60||$2,998,094.80|| |
|8/22/2013||H James Dallas||VP||Sell||32,332||$53.19||$1,719,739.08|| |
|8/21/2013||H James Dallas||VP||Sell||36,256||$52.82||$1,915,041.92|| |
|8/21/2013||Shirley Jackson||Director||Sell||8,033||$52.84||$424,463.72|| |
|7/11/2013||Christopher J Oconnell||EVP||Sell||30,429||$52.92||$1,610,302.68|| |
|7/11/2013||Gary Lee Ellis||CFO||Sell||32,602||$53.62||$1,748,119.24|| |
|7/11/2013||H James Dallas||VP||Sell||69,889||$53.72||$3,754,437.08|| |
|7/1/2013||H James Dallas||VP||Sell||20,579||$52.10||$1,072,165.90|| |
|6/26/2013||D Cameron Findlay||VP||Sell||75,042||$52.20||$3,917,192.40|| |
|6/19/2013||H James Dallas||VP||Sell||94,117||$52.74||$4,963,730.58|| |
|5/22/2013||Richard H Anderson||Director||Buy||4,800||$52.32||$251,136.00|| |
|5/10/2013||Jack W Schuler||Director||Sell||34,230||$48.24||$1,651,255.20|| |
Headline Trends for Medtronic plc. (NYSE:MDT)
Latest Headlines for Medtronic plc. (NYSE:MDT)
Medtronic plc. (MDT) Chart for Saturday, May, 27, 2017