Red Hat, Inc. provides open source software solutions to develop and offer operating system, virtualization, management, middleware, cloud, mobile, and storage technologies to various enterprises worldwide. It offers infrastructure-related solutions, such as Red Hat Enterprise Linux, an operating system platform that runs on hardware for use in hybrid cloud environments; Red Hat Satellite, a system management offering that helps to deploy, scale, and manage in hybrid cloud environments; and Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization, a software solution that allows customers to utilize and manage a common hardware infrastructure to run multiple operating systems and applications. The company offers application development-related and other technology solutions, such as Red Hat JBoss Middleware, a solution for developing, deploying, and managing applications; integrating applications, data, and devices; and automating business processes in hybrid cloud environments; The company's application development-related and other technology solutions also includes Red Hat cloud offerings, a software solution that enables customers to build and manage various cloud computing environments; Red Hat Mobile, a software development platform that enables customers to develop, integrate, deploy, and manage mobile applications for enterprises; and Red Hat Storage, a software solution that enables customers to manage large, unstructured, or semi-structured data in hybrid cloud environments. It also provides consulting, support, and training services; and realtime operating system, distributed computing, directory services, and user authentication. The company was formerly known as Red Hat Software, Inc. and changed its name to Red Hat, Inc. in June 1999. Red Hat, Inc. was founded in 1993 and is headquartered in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Industry, Sector and Symbol
Industry Computer programming, data processing, & other computer related
SectorComputer and Technology
Trailing P/E Ratio76.08
Forward P/E Ratio69.44
Sales & Book Value
Annual Sales$2.92 billion
Price / Sales10.65
Cash Flow$3.0678 per share
Price / Cash57.04
Book Value$8.31 per share
Price / Book21.06
EPS (Most Recent Fiscal Year)$2.30
Net Income$258.80 million
Return on Equity29.36%
Return on Assets8.50%
Red Hat (NYSE:RHT) Frequently Asked Questions
What is Red Hat's stock symbol?
Red Hat trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "RHT."
How were Red Hat's earnings last quarter?
Red Hat Inc (NYSE:RHT) issued its earnings results on Monday, March, 26th. The open-source software company reported $0.91 earnings per share for the quarter, topping the Zacks' consensus estimate of $0.81 by $0.10. The open-source software company earned $772 million during the quarter, compared to analyst estimates of $761.87 million. Red Hat had a return on equity of 29.36% and a net margin of 8.86%. Red Hat's revenue was up 22.8% on a year-over-year basis. During the same quarter in the previous year, the firm earned $0.61 EPS. View Red Hat's Earnings History.
When is Red Hat's next earnings date?
What guidance has Red Hat issued on next quarter's earnings?
Red Hat issued an update on its FY19 earnings guidance on Monday, March, 26th. The company provided earnings per share (EPS) guidance of $3.38-3.41 for the period, compared to the Thomson Reuters consensus EPS estimate of $3.34. The company issued revenue guidance of $3.425-3.460 billion, compared to the consensus revenue estimate of $3.37 billion.Red Hat also updated its Q1 guidance to $0.68 EPS.
What price target have analysts set for RHT?
33 equities research analysts have issued 1-year price targets for Red Hat's shares. Their predictions range from $97.00 to $200.00. On average, they expect Red Hat's stock price to reach $156.75 in the next year. View Analyst Ratings for Red Hat.
What are Wall Street analysts saying about Red Hat stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Red Hat stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Red Hat is benefiting from improved linearity driven by on-time renewal of deals. This reflects strong demand for hybrid cloud technology solutions as well as aggressive cross-selling. Moreover, robust performance by the Services business based on strong demand for the Ansible solution is a key catalyst. Expected strong demand for containers is another growth driver. Red Hat’s expanding partner base that includes IBM, Intel, Dell, Google, Microsoft, Amazon and Alibaba is noticeable. We note that the company has outperformed the industry on a year-to-date basis. Estimates have been stable lately ahead of the company’s Q1 earnings release. The company has positive record of earnings surprises in recent quarters. However, stiff competition is a headwind. Pivotal Container Service (PKS) formed through the partnership of Google, Pivotal and VMware is a significant threat in this regard." (5/30/2018)
- 2. Evercore ISI analysts commented, "We continue to view FY19 revenue estimates as being fairly conservative and while Red Hat shares may need to consolidate around current levels before pushing higher, we believe the company remains well positioned as it relates to hybrid cloud adoption and CoreOS is a solid addition to its emerging product portfolio. Maintain Outperform and $140 PT based on 24x EV/CY19 FCF." (2/2/2018)
- 3. Drexel Hamilton analysts commented, "We believe Red Hat will slightly beat our 2Q:FY18 revenue estimate of $699.6 million (up 17% YoY; Street is at $699.6 million) and our EPS projection of $0.67 (Street is also at $0.67). Our 2Q:FY18 revenue estimate represents 3% QoQ growth (i.e., the 62nd consecutive quarter of sequential revenue growth) but slightly below the five-year average of up 4%." (9/19/2017)
Who are some of Red Hat's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Red Hat include Baidu (BIDU), Twitter (TWTR), Weibo (WB), IHS Markit (INFO), Snap (SNAP), Match Group (MTCH), Yandex (YNDX), 58.com (WUBA), Line (LN), FactSet Research Systems (FDS), Tripadvisor Inc Common Stock (TRIP), Sabre (SABR), Stars Group (TSG), Wix.Com (WIX) and InterXion (INXN).
Who are Red Hat's key executives?
Red Hat's management team includes the folowing people:
- Mr. James M. Whitehurst, Pres, CEO & Director (Age 50)
- Mr. Eric R. Shander, Exec. VP & CFO (Age 49)
- Mr. Paul J. Cormier, Exec. VP and Pres of Products & Technologies (Age 61)
- Mr. Michael R. Cunningham, Exec. VP, Gen. Counsel & Corp. Sec. (Age 57)
- Mr. Arun Oberoi, Exec. VP of Global Sales & Services (Age 63)
Has Red Hat been receiving favorable news coverage?
Press coverage about RHT stock has been trending positive on Monday, according to Accern. The research firm scores the sentiment of press coverage by reviewing more than 20 million news and blog sources. Accern ranks coverage of public companies on a scale of -1 to 1, with scores closest to one being the most favorable. Red Hat earned a coverage optimism score of 0.27 on Accern's scale. They also assigned headlines about the open-source software company an impact score of 47.97 out of 100, indicating that recent press coverage is somewhat unlikely to have an effect on the company's share price in the near term.
Who are Red Hat's major shareholders?
Red Hat's stock is owned by a number of of institutional and retail investors. Top institutional shareholders include Northern Trust Corp (1.99%), Sustainable Growth Advisers LP (1.00%), Old Mutual Global Investors UK Ltd. (0.85%), Blair William & Co. IL (0.80%), OppenheimerFunds Inc. (0.69%) and Champlain Investment Partners LLC (0.60%). Company insiders that own Red Hat stock include Arun Oberoi, Charlene T Begley, Delisa Alexander, Eric Ryan Shander, Eugene Beukman, General Henry Hugh Shelton, James M Whitehurst, Lisa Crossley, Michael A Kelly, Michael Cunningham, Paul J Cormier and William S Kaiser. View Institutional Ownership Trends for Red Hat.
Which institutional investors are selling Red Hat stock?
RHT stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Sustainable Growth Advisers LP, Tremblant Capital Group, KBC Group NV, Russell Investments Group Ltd., Swedbank, American Century Companies Inc., Champlain Investment Partners LLC and Prudential Financial Inc.. Company insiders that have sold Red Hat company stock in the last year include Arun Oberoi, Charlene T Begley, Delisa Alexander, Eric Ryan Shander, Eugene Beukman, James M Whitehurst, Michael A Kelly, Michael Cunningham and William S Kaiser. View Insider Buying and Selling for Red Hat.
Which institutional investors are buying Red Hat stock?
RHT stock was bought by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including OppenheimerFunds Inc., Old Mutual Global Investors UK Ltd., Whale Rock Capital Management LLC, Lord Abbett & CO. LLC, Columbus Circle Investors, Barometer Capital Management Inc., Element Capital Management LLC and Summit Trail Advisors LLC. View Insider Buying and Selling for Red Hat.
How do I buy shares of Red Hat?
Shares of RHT can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages with access to the U.S. stock market include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is Red Hat's stock price today?
One share of RHT stock can currently be purchased for approximately $174.99.
How big of a company is Red Hat?
Red Hat has a market capitalization of $31.09 billion and generates $2.92 billion in revenue each year. The open-source software company earns $258.80 million in net income (profit) each year or $2.30 on an earnings per share basis. Red Hat employs 11,870 workers across the globe.
How can I contact Red Hat?
Red Hat's mailing address is 100 EAST DAVIE STREET, RALEIGH NC, 27601. The open-source software company can be reached via phone at 919-754-3700 or via email at [email protected]
MarketBeat Community Rating for Red Hat (RHT)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about Red Hat and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe RHT will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe RHT will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.