Transocean Ltd. is an international provider of offshore contract drilling services for oil and gas wells. The Company's primary business is to contract its drilling rigs, related equipment and work crews on a dayrate basis to drill oil and gas wells. As of February 9, 2017, it owned or had partial ownership interests in and operated 56 mobile offshore drilling units. As of February 9, 2017, its fleet consisted of 30 floaters, seven harsh environment floaters, three deepwater floaters, six midwater floaters and 10 high-specification jackups. As February 9, 2017, it also had four ultra-deepwater drillships and five high-specification jackups under construction or under contract to be constructed. Its contract drilling services operations are spread across oil and gas exploration and development areas throughout the world. The Company's drilling fleet can be characterized as floaters, including drillships and semisubmersibles, and jackups.
Industry, Sector and Symbol:
- Sector: Oils/Energy
- Industry: Oil & Gas Drilling - NEC
- Sub-Industry: N/A
- Symbol: NYSE:RIG
- CUSIP: N/A
- Web: www.deepwater.com
- Market Cap: $2.86 billion
- Outstanding Shares: 391,184,000
- 50 Day Moving Avg: $8.37
- 200 Day Moving Avg: $10.64
- 52 Week Range: $7.20 - $16.66
Sales & Book Value:
- Trailing P/E Ratio: N/A
- Foreward P/E Ratio: -8.32
- P/E Growth: -6.07
- Annual Revenue: $3.42 billion
- Price / Sales: 0.84
- Book Value: $36.31 per share
- Price / Book: 0.20
- EBIDTA: $1.83 billion
- Net Margins: -33.52%
- Return on Equity: 2.20%
- Return on Assets: 1.30%
- Debt-to-Equity Ratio: 0.46%
- Current Ratio: 2.31%
- Quick Ratio: 2.03%
- Average Volume: 16.36 million shs.
- Beta: 1.68
- Short Ratio: 4.32
Frequently Asked Questions for Transocean (NYSE:RIG)
What is Transocean's stock symbol?
Transocean trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "RIG."
How were Transocean's earnings last quarter?
Transocean Ltd. (NYSE:RIG) issued its quarterly earnings data on Thursday, February, 23rd. The company reported $0.63 EPS for the quarter, topping analysts' consensus estimates of $0.08 by $0.55. The firm earned $974 million during the quarter, compared to analyst estimates of $785.52 million. Transocean had a positive return on equity of 2.20% and a negative net margin of 33.52%. View Transocean's Earnings History.
When will Transocean make its next earnings announcement?
Where is Transocean's stock going? Where will Transocean's stock price be in 2017?
33 analysts have issued twelve-month target prices for Transocean's stock. Their forecasts range from $7.00 to $21.00. On average, they expect Transocean's stock price to reach $12.47 in the next year. View Analyst Ratings for Transocean.
What are analysts saying about Transocean stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Transocean stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Despite a difficult operating environment, Transocean has maintained its excellent track record of earnings surprise history, beating estimates in the last 15 quarters. As it is, we are a fan of Transocean's technologically advanced and versatile drilling fleet, strong backlog and considerable pricing power. With the market for offshore rigs unlikely to turn around anytime soon, the company has been selling/stacking older rigs as well as investing in high-specification rigs in order to improve the quality of its fleet. We also appreciate the agressive cost cut initiatives the company is undertaking to shore up its financials. Strong liquidity and managable leverage gives it enough financial flexibility to make acquisitions ang grow internally . All these factors account for our bullish stance on the prospects of the stock." (8/2/2017)
- 2. Jefferies Group LLC analysts commented, "Our time with management suggested that RIG sees a tougher path ahead towards pricing recovery for jackups than for floaters and that RIG is keen to have the flexibility to pursue floater deals; combined, these views were the impetus for the Borr deal. On M&A, we sensed more of an interest in niche assets (harsh environment) and/or smaller companies and in particular those with leverage to niche markets. We tweak our model for the Borr transaction." (3/21/2017)
- 3. Evercore ISI analysts commented, "We noted in our Recap and Weekly that Borr Drilling was reportedly interested in purchasing Transocean's jackup fleet. According to Tradewinds, the Norwegian startup is "closing in" on a $1.2 billion deal to acquire a fleet of 15 RIG jackups. The potential transaction would entail Transocean's entire active fleet of 10 high-specification jack-ups, plus another five newbuilds under construction at Singapore's Keppel FELS, for a total price of $1.2 billion. Another $1.125 billion is due on the five newbuilds, which would be assumed by Borr Drilling as these rigs have been deferred until 2020. Excluding the $290 million already paid for these newbuilds, the reported purchase price averages to $120 million per jackup and is well above our Bull Case estimate of $96 million and IHS-Petrodata's $80 million estimate for >=350' IC modern jackups. Half of Transocean's active jackup fleet is currently stacked while the other half is contracted for 38 rig months (average 7.6 months per rig) for $172 million in backlog (only 1.5% of RIG's total $11.3 billion)." (3/13/2017)
- 4. Instinet analysts commented, ". RIG's 4Q results were a step in the right direction in terms of further lowering operating costs and delivering effective performance as fleet-wide revenue efficiency was 100%+. RIG was also proactive in the quarter with respect to its balance sheet, raising $1.25bn+ in cash through secured debt offerings on two of its drillships contracted with Shellthe Deepwater Thalassa and the Deepwater Proteus. While RIG still has the biggest 2020 cash shortfall among the drillers according to our cash flow bridges, RIG has the most levers to pull in terms of extending its liquidity runway by raising additional capital through continued secured debt offerings, or extending the timing of its remaining newbuild payments." (2/27/2017)
Are investors shorting Transocean?
Transocean saw a increase in short interest during the month of July. As of July 31st, there was short interest totalling 65,182,766 shares, an increase of 1.3% from the July 14th total of 66,041,431 shares. Based on an average trading volume of 21,166,950 shares, the days-to-cover ratio is currently 3.1 days. Approximately 16.7% of the company's shares are sold short.
Who are some of Transocean's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Transocean include Helmerich & Payne (HP), Patterson-UTI Energy (PTEN), Nabors Industries (NBR), Diamond Offshore Drilling (DO), Ensco Plc (ESV), Rowan Companies PLC (RDC), Precision Drilling Corporation (PDS), Mammooth Energy (TUSK), Atwood Oceanics (ATW), Parker Drilling Company (PKD), Pioneer Energy Services Corp. (PES), Seadrill Limited (SDRL), Seadrill Ltd (SDRL), Pacific Drilling S.A. (PACD), Pioneer Energy Services Corp (PDC) and Transocean Partners LLC (RIGP).
Who are Transocean's key executives?
Transocean's management team includes the folowing people:
- Merrill Aanthony Miller Jr., Independent Chairman of the Board
- Jeremy D. Thigpen, President, Chief Executive Officer, Director
- Mark-Anthony L. Mey, Chief Financial Officer, Executive Vice President
- John B. Stobart, Chief Operating Officer, Executive Vice President
- Howard E. Davis, Executive Vice President, Chief Administrative Officer, Chief Information Officer
- Brady K. Long, Senior Vice President, General Counsel
- David A. Tonnel, Senior Vice President, Supply Chain and Corporate Controller
- Terry B. Bonno, Senior Vice President - Industry and Community Relations
- Glyn A. Barker, Independent Director
- Vanessa Chee Ling Chang, Independent Director
Who owns Transocean stock?
Transocean's stock is owned by many different of institutional and retail investors. Top institutional shareholders include Vanguard Group Inc. (9.74%), BlackRock Inc. (6.53%), State Street Corp (5.86%), Dimensional Fund Advisors LP (3.22%), Contrarius Investment Management Ltd (2.49%) and Thompson Siegel & Walmsley LLC (1.61%). Company insiders that own Transocean stock include David A Tonnel, Howard E Davis, Lars Sjobring and Vanessa C L Chang. View Institutional Ownership Trends for Transocean.
Who sold Transocean stock? Who is selling Transocean stock?
Transocean's stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Vanguard Group Inc., Cornerstone Capital Management Holdings LLC., Renaissance Technologies LLC, Numeric Investors LLC, LSV Asset Management, First Trust Advisors LP, KBC Group NV and Northern Trust Corp. View Insider Buying and Selling for Transocean.
Who bought Transocean stock? Who is buying Transocean stock?
Transocean's stock was purchased by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Contrarius Investment Management Ltd, Thompson Siegel & Walmsley LLC, BlackRock Inc., Marshall Wace LLP, State Street Corp, Van ECK Associates Corp, PDT Partners LLC and Prudential Financial Inc.. Company insiders that have bought Transocean stock in the last two years include Howard E Davis and Vanessa C L Chang. View Insider Buying and Selling for Transocean.
How do I buy Transocean stock?
Shares of Transocean can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is Transocean's stock price today?
MarketBeat Community Rating for Transocean (NYSE RIG)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about Transocean and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe the stock will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe the stock will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.
One share of Transocean stock can currently be purchased for approximately $7.32.
Consensus Ratings for Transocean (NYSE:RIG) (How are Consensus Ratings Calculated?)
MarketBeat calculates consensus ratings using the most recent rating from each brokerage that has rated a stock within the last twelve months. Since brokers often use different ratings systems, each rating is normalized to a standardized rating score of 1 (sell), 2 (hold), 3 (buy) or 4 (strong buy). Consensus ratings scores are calculated using the mean average of the number of normalized sell, hold, buy and strong buy ratings. Each stock's consensus rating is derived from its calculated consensus ratings score (0-1.5 = Sell, 1.5-2.5 = Hold, 2.5-3.5 = Buy, >3.5 = Strong Buy). MarketBeat's consensus price targets are a mean average of the most recent available price targets set by each analyst that has set a price target for the stock in the last twelve months.
MarketBeat will no longer include ratings and price target data in its consensus calculation if a broker drops coverage and MarketBeat has received a report that coverage was dropped. Ratings from certain research firms that issue ratings using purely quantitative methods (such as Zacks, Vetr and ValuEngine) are not included in consensus calculations. MarketBeat's consensus ratings and consensus price targets may differ from those calculated by other firms due to differences in methodology and available data.
|Ratings Breakdown: ||10 Sell Ratings, 14 Hold Ratings, 9 Buy Ratings|
|Consensus Rating:||Hold (Score: 1.97)|
|Consensus Price Target: ||$12.47 (70.41% upside)|
Analysts' Ratings History for Transocean (NYSE:RIG)
(Data available from 8/21/2015 forward)
|Date||Firm||Action||Rating||Price Target||Impact on Share Price||Details|
|8/19/2017||Instinet||Reiterated Rating||Reduce||$8.00 -> $7.00||Low|
|8/18/2017||Pareto Securities||Upgrade||Hold -> Buy||Low|
|8/17/2017||Nomura||Lower Price Target||Reduce||$8.00 -> $7.00||Medium|
|8/16/2017||Jefferies Group LLC||Set Price Target||Hold||$9.50 -> $9.00||High|
|8/15/2017||Bank of America Corporation||Upgrade||Underperform -> Neutral||$7.00 -> $9.00||High|
|8/10/2017||Evercore ISI||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$18.00||Low|
|8/9/2017||Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (The)||Upgrade||Sell -> Neutral||$8.57 -> $9.75||High|
|8/6/2017||Barclays PLC||Set Price Target||Sell||$8.00 -> $9.00||High|
|7/26/2017||Seaport Global Securities||Reiterated Rating||Sell||Low|
|7/22/2017||Wells Fargo & Company||Reiterated Rating||Market Perform||Low|
|7/19/2017||Credit Suisse Group||Reiterated Rating||Buy||High|
|7/6/2017||Sanford C. Bernstein||Downgrade||Outperform -> Market Perform||$16.50 -> $9.00||High|
|6/16/2017||Morgan Stanley||Lower Price Target||Underweight||$13.00 -> $12.00||Medium|
|5/17/2017||Odeon Capital Group LLC||Initiated Coverage||Sell||$8.00||Medium|
|5/15/2017||Royal Bank Of Canada||Reiterated Rating||Sell||$13.00||High|
|5/15/2017||R. F. Lafferty||Lower Price Target||Buy||$21.00 -> $16.00||High|
|5/9/2017||B. Riley||Lower Price Target||Buy||$21.00 -> $16.00||Low|
|4/18/2017||BMO Capital Markets||Reiterated Rating||Sell||$10.00||High|
|4/18/2017||Deutsche Bank AG||Lower Price Target||Hold||$8.00 -> $7.00||Low|
|3/23/2017||Tudor Pickering||Initiated Coverage||Hold||Low|
|2/27/2017||Raymond James Financial, Inc.||Reiterated Rating||Underperform||N/A|
|2/24/2017||Piper Jaffray Companies||Boost Price Target||Neutral||$13.70 -> $14.10||N/A|
|2/10/2017||Clarkson Capital||Reiterated Rating||Neutral||$15.00||N/A|
|1/24/2017||Canaccord Genuity||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$17.00||N/A|
|1/6/2017||Iberia Capital||Initiated Coverage||Sector Perform||$15.00||N/A|
|12/27/2016||Zephirin Group||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$14.00 -> $16.00||N/A|
|12/13/2016||Capital One Financial Corporation||Upgrade||Underweight -> Equal Weight||N/A|
|11/4/2016||Citigroup Inc.||Reiterated Rating||Neutral||N/A|
|10/4/2016||Howard Weil||Upgrade||Sector Perform -> Sector Outperform||$12.00 -> $14.00||N/A|
|8/5/2016||J P Morgan Chase & Co||Set Price Target||Sell||$8.00 -> $9.00||N/A|
|8/5/2016||Simmons||Boost Price Target||Underweight||$2.50 -> $4.65||N/A|
|8/5/2016||Susquehanna Bancshares Inc||Upgrade||Negative -> Neutral||$10.00 -> $11.00||N/A|
|6/15/2016||KLR Group||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$19.00||N/A|
|3/21/2016||Cowen and Company||Lower Price Target||$12.00 -> $9.00||N/A|
|2/23/2016||Fearnley Fonds||Downgrade||Accumulate -> Reduce||N/A|
|11/30/2015||Guggenheim||Upgrade||Neutral -> Buy||$17.00||N/A|
Earnings History for Transocean (NYSE:RIG)Earnings History by Quarter for Transocean (NYSE RIG)
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|5/3/2017||3/31/2017||($0.08)||$0.01||$737.51 million||$785.00 million||View||Listen|
|2/23/2017||12/31/2016||$0.08||$0.63||$785.52 million||$974.00 million||View||Listen|
|8/3/2016||Q2||($0.01)||$0.17||$914.38 million||$943.00 million||View||Listen|
|5/4/2016||Q1||$0.29||$0.69||$1.14 billion||$1.34 billion||View||Listen|
|2/24/2016||Q4||$0.73||$1.68||$1.44 billion||$1.85 billion||View||Listen|
|11/4/2015||Q3||$0.68||$0.87||$1.59 billion||$1.61 billion||View||Listen|
|8/5/2015||Q2||$0.50||$1.11||$1.70 billion||$1.88 billion||View||Listen|
|5/6/2015||Q115||$0.60||$1.10||$1.91 billion||$2.04 billion||View||Listen|
|2/25/2015||Q414||$0.77||$0.95||$2.12 billion||$2.24 billion||View||Listen|
|11/10/2014||Q314||$0.82||($6.12)||$2.19 billion||$2.27 billion||View||Listen|
|8/6/2014||Q214||$1.12||$1.61||$2.27 billion||$2.33 billion||View||Listen|
|5/7/2014||Q114||$1.03||$1.43||$2.27 billion||$2.34 billion||View||Listen|
|2/26/2014||Q413||$1.18||$0.73||$2.36 billion||$2.33 billion||View||Listen|
|11/7/2013||Q313||$1.18||$1.37||$2.49 billion||$2.56 billion||View||Listen|
|8/7/2013||Q2 2013||$1.08||$1.08||$2.40 billion||$2.40 billion||View||Listen|
|5/8/2013||Q1 2013||$1.01||$0.93||$2.35 billion||$2.20 billion||View||Listen|
|3/4/2013||Q4 2012||$0.80||$0.91||$2.37 billion||$2.33 billion||View||Listen|
|11/5/2012||Q312||$0.77||$1.37||$2.54 billion||$2.70 billion||View||N/A|
Earnings Estimates for Transocean (NYSE:RIG)
2017 EPS Consensus Estimate: ($0.37)
2018 EPS Consensus Estimate: ($0.86)
(Data provided by Zacks Investment Research)
|Quarter||Number of Estimates||Low Estimate||High Estimate||Average Estimate|
Current Dividend Information for Transocean (NYSE:RIG)
|Most Recent Dividend:||9/23/2015|
|Dividend Growth:||0.00% (3 Year Average)|
|Payout Ratio:||0.00% (Trailing 12 Months of Earnings) |
0.00% (Based on This Year's Estimates)
0.00% (Based on Next Year's Estimates)
|Track Record:||4 Years of Consecutive Dividend Growth|
Dividend History by Quarter for Transocean (NYSE RIG)
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Announced||Period||Amount||Yield||Ex-Dividend Date||Record Date||Payable Date|
Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History for Transocean (NYSE:RIG)
Insider Ownership Percentage: 0.33%Insider Trades by Quarter for Transocean (NYSE:RIG)
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 69.31%
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Details|
|8/17/2017||Howard E Davis||CAO||Buy||40,000||$7.32||$292,800.00|| |
|8/17/2017||Vanessa C L Chang||Director||Buy||2,000||$7.56||$15,120.00|| |
|4/27/2017||David A Tonnel||SVP||Sell||9,450||$11.28||$106,596.00|| |
|9/23/2015||Lars Sjobring||SVP||Sell||5,324||$14.40||$76,665.60|| |
|9/2/2015||Vanessa C L Chang||Director||Buy||1,500||$13.50||$20,250.00|| |
|12/1/2014||Steven L Newman||CEO||Buy||9,800||$20.41||$200,018.00|| |
|9/5/2014||David A Tonnel||SVP||Sell||1,053||$38.31||$40,340.43|| |
|8/27/2014||John B Stobart||COO||Sell||8,451||$38.07||$321,729.57|| |
|6/9/2014||Edward R Muller||Director||Sell||1,816||$42.75||$77,634.00|| |
Headline Trends for Transocean (NYSE:RIG)
Latest Headlines for Transocean (NYSE:RIG)
Transocean (RIG) Chart for Monday, August, 21, 2017