About Ligand Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:LGND)
Ligand Pharmaceuticals Incorporated, a biopharmaceutical company, focuses on developing and acquiring technologies that help pharmaceutical companies to discover and develop medicines worldwide. Its commercial programs include Promacta, an oral medicine that increases the number of platelets in the blood; Kyprolis and Evomela, which are used to treat multiple myeloma; Baxdela, a captisol-enabled delafloxacin-IV for the treatment of acute bacterial skin and skin structure infections; Nexterone, a captisol-enabled formulation of amiodarone; Noxafil-IV, a captisol-enabled formulation of posaconazole for IV use; Carnexiv, which is indicated as replacement therapy for oral carbamazepine formulations; bazedoxifene for the treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis; commercial pericardial repair and CanGaroo envelope extracellular matrix products; Exemptia for autoimmune diseases; Vivitra for breast cancer; and Bryxta for non-small cell lung cancer. The company's partners programs, which are in clinical development used for the treatment of seizure, coma, cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, muscle wasting, liver and kidney diseases, and others. It is also developing a small molecule glucagon receptor antagonist for the treatment of Type 2 diabetes mellitus. In addition, the company is involved in the sale of Captisol materials. Ligand Pharmaceuticals Incorporated was founded in 1987 and is headquartered in San Diego, California.
Industry, Sector and Symbol
Industry Pharmaceutical preparations
Trailing P/E Ratio74.58
Forward P/E Ratio44.27
Sales & Book Value
Annual Sales$141.10 million
Price / Sales28.93
Cash Flow$3.7701 per share
Price / Cash50.84
Book Value$18.94 per share
Price / Book10.12
EPS (Most Recent Fiscal Year)$2.57
Net Income$12.55 million
Return on Equity19.10%
Return on Assets11.69%
Ligand Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:LGND) Frequently Asked Questions
What is Ligand Pharmaceuticals' stock symbol?
Ligand Pharmaceuticals trades on the NASDAQ under the ticker symbol "LGND."
How were Ligand Pharmaceuticals' earnings last quarter?
Ligand Pharmaceuticals Inc. (NASDAQ:LGND) posted its quarterly earnings data on Tuesday, May, 8th. The biotechnology company reported $1.55 earnings per share for the quarter, beating the consensus estimate of $1.29 by $0.26. The biotechnology company earned $56.16 million during the quarter, compared to analysts' expectations of $43.02 million. Ligand Pharmaceuticals had a net margin of 31.40% and a return on equity of 19.10%. The company's quarterly revenue was up 91.9% compared to the same quarter last year. During the same quarter last year, the company posted $0.57 EPS. View Ligand Pharmaceuticals' Earnings History.
When is Ligand Pharmaceuticals' next earnings date?
What guidance has Ligand Pharmaceuticals issued on next quarter's earnings?
Ligand Pharmaceuticals issued an update on its FY18 earnings guidance on Tuesday, May, 8th. The company provided earnings per share guidance of $4.85 for the period, compared to the Thomson Reuters consensus estimate of $4.56. The company issued revenue guidance of $184 million, compared to the consensus revenue estimate of $186.50 million.
What price target have analysts set for LGND?
5 brokerages have issued 1-year price objectives for Ligand Pharmaceuticals' stock. Their forecasts range from $105.00 to $200.00. On average, they anticipate Ligand Pharmaceuticals' stock price to reach $159.00 in the next year. View Analyst Ratings for Ligand Pharmaceuticals.
What are Wall Street analysts saying about Ligand Pharmaceuticals stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Ligand Pharmaceuticals stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Ligand’s earnings and sales beat estimates in the first quarter of 2018. The company’s Captisol Formulation technology has resulted in partnerships with several leading drug companies like Novartis and Amgen that provide it with funds in the form of milestone and royalty payments. Also, with regard to Ligand’s internal pipeline, there are several candidates in development that could generate future licensing opportunities. Shares of Ligand have outperformed the broader industry in the past year. However, the company derives a substantial portion of its revenues from royalties associated with the sales of Promacta and Kyprolis. Any setback related to either of these products could have a substantial impact. Moreover, Ligand’s dependence on a single supplier to obtain Captisol is concerning." (6/6/2018)
- 2. HC Wainwright analysts commented, "Kyprolis Beats; Recent and Anticipated Label Expansions Represent Revenue Inflection Points Kyprolis quickly approaching blockbuster status. Yesterday, partner Amgen (AMGN; not rated) announced 4Q17 and 2017 Kyprolis revenue of $227M and $835M, respectively, compared with our estimates of $220M (consensus $225M) and $828M. As Kyprolis approaches blockbuster status, considering certain factors we think should be able to easily push it over the edge, and they include: 1) recent FDA approval of sNDA based on ENDEAVOR overall survival data; 2) recent CHMP positive opinion to include updated overall survival from ENDEAVOR on label this year in the E.U.; and 3) recent submission of sNDA to FDA and a variation to the marketing authorization to the EMA, both based on the overall survival benefit from the ASPIRE study (actions expected this year). Upcoming milestones and key programs underway: 2018 initial visibility from recent launch of Baxdela for serious skin infections." (2/2/2018)
Who are some of Ligand Pharmaceuticals' key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Ligand Pharmaceuticals include GRIFOLS S A/S (GRFS), UCB (UCBJF), Ono Pharmaceutical (OPHLF), Merck KGaA (MKGAF), Alnylam Pharmaceuticals (ALNY), Jazz Pharmaceuticals (JAZZ), Perrigo (PRGO), Nektar Therapeutics (NKTR), Valeant Pharmaceuticals Intl (VRX), BeiGene (BGNE), Genmab A/S (GNMSF), Alkermes (ALKS), SAGE Therapeutics (SAGE), Sarepta Therapeutics (SRPT) and Ionis Pharmaceuticals (IONS).
Who are Ligand Pharmaceuticals' key executives?
Ligand Pharmaceuticals' management team includes the folowing people:
- Mr. John L. Higgins, CEO & Exec. Director (Age 48)
- Mr. Matthew W. Foehr, Pres & COO (Age 45)
- Mr. Matthew Korenberg, Exec. VP of Fin. & CFO (Age 43)
- Mr. Charles S. Berkman, Sr. VP, Gen. Counsel & Sec. (Age 49)
- Ms. Audrey Warfield-Graham, VP of HR
Has Ligand Pharmaceuticals been receiving favorable news coverage?
News articles about LGND stock have been trending somewhat positive recently, according to Accern Sentiment. Accern identifies positive and negative media coverage by reviewing more than twenty million blog and news sources in real-time. Accern ranks coverage of companies on a scale of -1 to 1, with scores nearest to one being the most favorable. Ligand Pharmaceuticals earned a media sentiment score of 0.10 on Accern's scale. They also assigned news articles about the biotechnology company an impact score of 46.61 out of 100, meaning that recent media coverage is somewhat unlikely to have an effect on the company's share price in the next few days.
Who are Ligand Pharmaceuticals' major shareholders?
Ligand Pharmaceuticals' stock is owned by many different of retail and institutional investors. Top institutional investors include BlackRock Inc. (14.22%), Summit Trail Advisors LLC (9.15%), Knott David M (2.61%), Victory Capital Management Inc. (2.41%), Cardinal Capital Management LLC CT (2.06%) and Eagle Asset Management Inc. (2.06%). Company insiders that own Ligand Pharmaceuticals stock include Charles S Berkman, Jason Aryeh, John L Higgins, John L Lamattina, John W Kozarich, Matthew E Korenberg, Matthew W Foehr, Stephen L Sabba and Todd C Davis. View Institutional Ownership Trends for Ligand Pharmaceuticals.
Which major investors are selling Ligand Pharmaceuticals stock?
LGND stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Cardinal Capital Management LLC CT, Knott David M, Oak Ridge Investments LLC, Russell Investments Group Ltd., Elk Creek Partners LLC, Eaton Vance Management, Next Century Growth Investors LLC and Mesirow Financial Investment Management Equity Management. Company insiders that have sold Ligand Pharmaceuticals company stock in the last year include Charles S Berkman, Jason Aryeh, John L Higgins, John L Lamattina, John W Kozarich, Matthew E Korenberg, Matthew W Foehr, Stephen L Sabba and Todd C Davis. View Insider Buying and Selling for Ligand Pharmaceuticals.
Which major investors are buying Ligand Pharmaceuticals stock?
LGND stock was purchased by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Summit Trail Advisors LLC, UBS Group AG, Matarin Capital Management LLC, Penserra Capital Management LLC, OppenheimerFunds Inc., King Luther Capital Management Corp, BlackRock Inc. and Chicago Equity Partners LLC. View Insider Buying and Selling for Ligand Pharmaceuticals.
How do I buy shares of Ligand Pharmaceuticals?
Shares of LGND can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages with access to the U.S. stock market include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is Ligand Pharmaceuticals' stock price today?
One share of LGND stock can currently be purchased for approximately $191.67.
How big of a company is Ligand Pharmaceuticals?
Ligand Pharmaceuticals has a market capitalization of $4.08 billion and generates $141.10 million in revenue each year. The biotechnology company earns $12.55 million in net income (profit) each year or $2.57 on an earnings per share basis. Ligand Pharmaceuticals employs 39 workers across the globe.
How can I contact Ligand Pharmaceuticals?
Ligand Pharmaceuticals' mailing address is 3911 SORRENTO VALLEY BLVD SUITE 110, SAN DIEGO CA, 92121. The biotechnology company can be reached via phone at 858-550-7500 or via email at [email protected]
MarketBeat Community Rating for Ligand Pharmaceuticals (LGND)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about Ligand Pharmaceuticals and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe LGND will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe LGND will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.