CarMax, Inc., through its subsidiaries, operates as a retailer of used vehicles in the United States. The company operates in two segments, CarMax Sales Operations and CarMax Auto Finance. It offers customers a range of makes and models of used vehicles, including domestic, imported, and luxury vehicles; vehicles that do not meet its retail standards to licensed dealers through on-site wholesale auctions; and extended protection plans to customers at the time of sale. The company also provides reconditioning and vehicle repair services; and financing alternatives for retail customers across a range of credit spectrum through its CarMax Auto Finance and arrangements with various financial institutions. In addition, it sells new vehicles under franchise agreements. As of April 4, 2018, the company operated 189 stores in 41 states. CarMax, Inc. was founded in 1993 and is based in Richmond, Virginia.
Industry, Sector and Symbol
Industry Automotive dealers & gasoline service stations
Trailing P/E Ratio19.52
Forward P/E Ratio16.45
Sales & Book Value
Annual Sales$17.12 billion
Price / Sales0.75
Cash Flow$4.7677 per share
Price / Cash15.15
Book Value$18.34 per share
Price / Book3.94
EPS (Most Recent Fiscal Year)$3.70
Net Income$664.11 million
Return on Equity21.09%
Return on Assets4.02%
CarMax (NYSE:KMX) Frequently Asked Questions
What is CarMax's stock symbol?
CarMax trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "KMX."
How were CarMax's earnings last quarter?
CarMax, Inc (NYSE:KMX) released its quarterly earnings data on Wednesday, April, 4th. The company reported $0.77 earnings per share for the quarter, missing the Zacks' consensus estimate of $0.87 by $0.10. The business earned $4.08 billion during the quarter, compared to analysts' expectations of $4.18 billion. CarMax had a return on equity of 21.09% and a net margin of 3.88%. The firm's revenue was up .8% compared to the same quarter last year. During the same period last year, the company earned $0.81 earnings per share. View CarMax's Earnings History.
When is CarMax's next earnings date?
What price target have analysts set for KMX?
19 brokers have issued 12-month price targets for CarMax's stock. Their forecasts range from $63.00 to $98.00. On average, they expect CarMax's stock price to reach $80.4667 in the next year. View Analyst Ratings for CarMax.
What are Wall Street analysts saying about CarMax stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about CarMax stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "CarMax is one of the strongest operators in the used-car market and holds a significant market share, among its peers. The company is also following an aggressive store expansion initiative to strengthen its presence and cater to a larger customer group. Moreover, it enhances shareholders value by undertaking frequent share buyback programs. Also, in the last six months, its shares have outperformed the industry it belongs to. However, significant cash outflows from operations, huge capital expenditures and volatile used car prices are few headwinds CarMax is facing." (12/12/2017)
- 2. Oppenheimer Holdings Inc. analysts commented, "innovative omni-channel business" remains unchanged despite the downgrade, Nagel commented in his note. The company's "upbeat, longer term outlook" also remains unchanged but the stock is now vulnerable to even the most "modest changes" in underlying fundamentals."We often disagree with the myriad bearish theories that weigh on KMX, but nonetheless recognize the susceptibility of shares to even modest, near-term fundamental challenges," the analyst wrote.However, there are nevertheless a few reasons for investors to be concerned with the auto company, Nagel acknowledged. The Street is forecasting the company to report upwards of a low- to mid-single-digit used unit comp gain in its fourth quarter, which is above the analyst's own estimate of flat to plus 2 percent. As such, the company's momentum remains "intact" but "maybe not enough" in the near term.Bottom line, CarMax's prospects remain unchanged amid multiple internal and external tailwinds but difficult comparisons could disrupt top-line momentum and result in the Street revising their forecasts lower which could impact the stock."We await a moderation in Street estimates and/or a pullback in the now premium KMX multiple before re-recommending shares near term," (10/5/2017)
Who are some of CarMax's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to CarMax include Copart (CPRT), KAR Auction Services (KAR), Carvana (CVNA), AutoNation (AN), Penske Automotive Group (PAG), Casey's General Stores (CASY), Lithia Motors (LAD), Murphy USA (MUSA), Camping World (CWH), Rush Enterprises (RUSHA), Rush Enterprises (RUSHB), Asbury Automotive Group (ABG), Group 1 Automotive (GPI), Fincera (YUANF) and Sonic Automotive (SAH).
Who are CarMax's key executives?
CarMax's management team includes the folowing people:
- Mr. William D. Nash, Pres, CEO & Director (Age 49)
- Mr. Thomas W. Reedy, Exec. VP & CFO (Age 54)
- Mr. William C. Wood Jr., Exec. VP & COO (Age 51)
- Mr. Eric M. Margolin, Exec. VP, Gen. Counsel & Corp. Sec. (Age 64)
- Mr. Edwin J. Hill, Exec. VP of Strategy & Bus. Transformation (Age 58)
Has CarMax been receiving favorable news coverage?
Media headlines about KMX stock have been trending somewhat positive on Monday, according to Accern Sentiment. The research firm rates the sentiment of news coverage by reviewing more than twenty million news and blog sources in real-time. Accern ranks coverage of companies on a scale of -1 to 1, with scores nearest to one being the most favorable. CarMax earned a daily sentiment score of 0.13 on Accern's scale. They also assigned news headlines about the company an impact score of 41.45 out of 100, meaning that recent news coverage is somewhat unlikely to have an effect on the company's share price in the near term.
Who are CarMax's major shareholders?
CarMax's stock is owned by many different of institutional and retail investors. Top institutional shareholders include BlackRock Inc. (6.22%), Principal Financial Group Inc. (5.41%), OppenheimerFunds Inc. (2.32%), The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company (1.28%), Northern Trust Corp (1.10%) and Dimensional Fund Advisors LP (0.72%). Company insiders that own CarMax stock include Darren C Newberry, Diane L Cafritz, Edgar H Grubb, Edwin J Hill, Eric M Margolin, Jeffrey E Garten, Jon G Daniels, Mitchell D Steenrod, Mohammad Shamim, Natalie L Wyatt, Peter J Bensen, Shira Goodman, Thomas J Folliard, Thomas W Reedy Jr, W Robert Grafton, William C Jr Wood, William D Nash and William R Tiefel. View Institutional Ownership Trends for CarMax.
Which institutional investors are selling CarMax stock?
KMX stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Baillie Gifford & Co., WS Management Lllp, Bamco Inc. NY, BlackRock Inc., Quadrature Capital Ltd, Millennium Management LLC, Avenir Corp and Echo Street Capital Management LLC. Company insiders that have sold CarMax company stock in the last year include Darren C Newberry, Diane L Cafritz, Edgar H Grubb, Edwin J Hill, Eric M Margolin, Jon G Daniels, Mohammad Shamim, Thomas J Folliard, Thomas W Reedy Jr, William C Jr Wood, William D Nash and William R Tiefel. View Insider Buying and Selling for CarMax.
Which institutional investors are buying CarMax stock?
KMX stock was bought by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Check Capital Management Inc. CA, Epoch Investment Partners Inc., Principal Financial Group Inc., Royal Bank of Canada, OppenheimerFunds Inc., Kovitz Investment Group Partners LLC, Capital Advisors Inc. OK and Chilton Investment Co. LLC. Company insiders that have bought CarMax stock in the last two years include Peter J Bensen and W Robert Grafton. View Insider Buying and Selling for CarMax.
How do I buy shares of CarMax?
Shares of KMX can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages with access to the U.S. stock market include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is CarMax's stock price today?
One share of KMX stock can currently be purchased for approximately $72.29.
How big of a company is CarMax?
CarMax has a market capitalization of $12.93 billion and generates $17.12 billion in revenue each year. The company earns $664.11 million in net income (profit) each year or $3.70 on an earnings per share basis. CarMax employs 25,110 workers across the globe.
How can I contact CarMax?
CarMax's mailing address is 12800 TUCKAHOE CREEK PARKWAY, RICHMOND VA, 23238. The company can be reached via phone at 804-747-0422 or via email at [email protected]
MarketBeat Community Rating for CarMax (KMX)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about CarMax and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe KMX will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe KMX will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.