Stone Energy Corporation is an independent oil and natural gas company. The Company is engaged in the acquisition, exploration, exploitation, development and operation of oil and gas properties. The Company operates in the Gulf of Mexico (GOM) basin. It has leveraged its operations in the GOM conventional shelf and has its reserve base in the prolific basins of the GOM deep water, Gulf Coast deep gas, and the Marcellus and Utica shales in Appalachia. Its estimated proved oil and natural gas reserves are over 60 million barrels of oil equivalents (MMBoe) or 340 billion cubic feet equivalent (Bcfe). Over 95 MMBoe or 570 Bcfe of its estimated proved reserves are revised downward. It has made investments in seismic data and leasehold interests, and has geological, geophysical, engineering and operational operations in deep water arena to evaluate potential exploration, development and acquisition opportunities. It holds over two deep water platforms, producing reserves and various leases.
Industry, Sector and Symbol:
- Sector: Oils/Energy
- Industry: Independent Oil & Gas
- Sub-Industry: Oil & Gas Exploration & Production
- Symbol: NYSE:SGY
- CUSIP: 86164210
- Web: www.stoneenergy.com
- Market Cap: $453.38 million
- Outstanding Shares: 19,999,000
- 50 Day Moving Avg: $21.23
- 200 Day Moving Avg: $30.58
- 52 Week Range: $16.50 - $32.39
Sales & Book Value:
- Trailing P/E Ratio: N/A
- Foreward P/E Ratio: 283.38
- P/E Growth: 5.33
- Annual Revenue: $382.17 million
- Price / Sales: 1.19
- Book Value: $14.78 per share
- Price / Book: 1.53
- EBIDTA: $194.01 million
- Net Margins: -211.47%
- Return on Assets: -8.92%
- Debt-to-Equity Ratio: -2.16%
- Current Ratio: 0.62%
- Quick Ratio: 0.62%
- Average Volume: 199,313 shs.
- Beta: 1.62
- Short Ratio: 1.45
Frequently Asked Questions for Stone Energy (NYSE:SGY)
What is Stone Energy's stock symbol?
Stone Energy trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "SGY."
How were Stone Energy's earnings last quarter?
Stone Energy Co. (NYSE:SGY) posted its earnings results on Thursday, February, 23rd. The company reported ($4.88) earnings per share for the quarter, topping the Zacks' consensus estimate of ($6.65) by $1.77. The firm had revenue of $113.11 million for the quarter, compared to the consensus estimate of $92 million. View Stone Energy's Earnings History.
Where is Stone Energy's stock going? Where will Stone Energy's stock price be in 2017?
6 brokerages have issued twelve-month price targets for Stone Energy's stock. Their forecasts range from $3.00 to $17.00. On average, they anticipate Stone Energy's stock price to reach $9.00 in the next year. View Analyst Ratings for Stone Energy.
What are analysts saying about Stone Energy stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Stone Energy stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Despite Stone Energy’s underperformance against the Zacks Oil and Gas – U.S Exploration and Production industry over the last three month, the company posted higher production during the latest quarter on an annual basis. Stone Energy has a multi-year inventory of drilling prospects, and is working on a strategy to fund its growth areas in Appalachia, the Rockies and the Deep Gas/Deepwater in the conventional shelf. It is actively engaged in horizontal well drilling in the Marcellus Shale and involved in various vertical tests in the Bakken Shale play. Consequently, we think Stone Energy offers substantial upside potential from the current price levels and view it as an attractive investment." (4/12/2017)
- 2. National Securities analysts commented, "What Happened:
• Stone emerged from bankruptcy on February 28, removing $1.2 billion in liabilities from its balance sheet.
• Former holders of the 2017 and 2022 notes, will receive 19 million shares, representing 95% of the newly organized common shares.
• Stone will maintain its listing on the NYSE, and will trade under the same SGY ticker symbol.
• In 4Q16, SGY entered into a purchase and sale agreement with TH Exploration, to dispose of its Appalachian assets in exchange for $360 million in cash. We expect the sale to close on Feb 28, 2017, at which point SGY will no longer have assets or operations in the region.
• Stone produced 43.7 thousand barrels of oil equivalent per day (Mboe/d), near the upper band of company guidance. Additionally the company saw a 7% reduction to its base of proved reserves
• In all candor, Stone’s emergence from bankruptcy significantly improves its balance sheet, putting upward pressure on share prices, and providing investors with an admittedly compelling value prospect at current levels. Indeed, given the downward revision in reserves, coupled with expectations for lower production, our knee jerk reaction would be to remain neutral on company shares. Still, the reduction of over $1 billion in debt cannot be ignored, and solves what has been Stone’s biggest pain point in recent years.
• In addition to positively impacting the balance sheet, the reduction in debt levels will also reduce Stone’s interest expense burden. By our own model, we project a decline in quarterly interest to $5 million, from $14.6 in 4Q16.
• The sale of its Appalachian assets will likely have a sharp negative impact on production volumes. We note that in 4Q16, production from Stone’s Appalachian assets was approximately 128 Million cubic feet per day (Mmcfe/d), or approximately 21 Mboe/d when converted to oil equivalents. To that end, we expect both Stone’s production volumes and production mix to change, moving forward. Specifically, our 2017 model estimates 24 Mboe/d in the second quarter down 45% from the 43.7 Mboe/d Stone produced in 4Q16. Moreover, where we have traditionally viewed Stone as having a balanced production mix between oil natural gas, and natural gas liquids (NGL’s), we now view the company as having a significantly larger oil blend, modeling 65% moving forward.
• We actually contend that this is a beneficial time for Stone in regards to a shift in production mix, as oil prices have begun to strengthen within the last quarter. Additionally, investors should note that Stone produces oil that receives Light Louisiana Sweet (LLS) pricing, which traditionally trades at a premium to benchmark WTI.
• The sale of its Appalachian assets will impact production but is likely to have a smaller impact on Stone’s reserve base. While the sale of assets generally leads to declines in proved reserves, we note that Stone already received a negative revision in 2015 on the aforementioned asset. To that end, we view the decline from 57 Mmboe to 53 Mmboe as relatively mild.
• At this time, we are raising our price target on Stone to $10 (from 6), while upgrading its shares to BUY. Given the aforementioned developments we contend that Stone has value at current levels. We expect that Stone’s share count will grow in the near future, and highlight that we are accounting for 20 million shares in 1Q17, versus 5.6 in 4Q16. We continue to evaluate Stone on the basis of reserves, production, and discretionary cash flow, while making adjustments for net debt. Our $10 price target equates to .76x our 2017 discretionary cash flow per share (DCF) estimate of $13.10
Who are some of Stone Energy's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Stone Energy include Resolute Energy Corp (REN), Bonanza Creek Energy (BCEI), Baytex Energy Corp (BTE), Delek Logistics Partners LP (DKL), Denbury Resources (DNR), Eclipse Resources Corp (ECR), Sanchez Energy Corp (SN), California Resources Corp (CRC), Abraxas Petroleum Corp. (AXAS), Earthstone Energy (ESTE), Approach Resources (AREX), Bellatrix Exploration Ltd (BXE), SandRidge Permian Trust (PER), Legacy Reserves LP (LGCY), Jones Energy (JONE), Cobalt International Energy (CIE), LRR Energy LP (LRE) and Comstock Resources (CRK).
Who owns Stone Energy stock?
Stone Energy's stock is owned by a number of of institutional and retail investors. Top institutional shareholders include
MACKAY SHIELDS LLC
(19.74%), Mackay Shields LLC (399.66%), Paloma Partners Management Co (56.94%), Credit Suisse AG (54.03%), Ameriprise Financial Inc. (19.75%) and GeoSphere Capital Management (19.47%). Company insiders that own Stone Energy stock include John J Leonard, Kay G Priestly, Kenneth H Beer and Robert S Murley. View Institutional Ownership Trends for Stone Energy.
Who sold Stone Energy stock? Who is selling Stone Energy stock?
Stone Energy's stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including KCG Holdings Inc. and Dynamic Capital Management Ltd. Company insiders that have sold Stone Energy stock in the last year include John J Leonard, Kay G Priestly, Kenneth H Beer and Robert S Murley. View Insider Buying and Selling for Stone Energy.
Who bought Stone Energy stock? Who is buying Stone Energy stock?
Stone Energy's stock was acquired by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Mackay Shields LLC, Paloma Partners Management Co, Credit Suisse AG, Ameriprise Financial Inc., GeoSphere Capital Management, Snow Capital Management LP, Sei Investments Co. and SG Americas Securities LLC. View Insider Buying and Selling for Stone Energy.
How do I buy Stone Energy stock?
Shares of Stone Energy can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
How much does a share of Stone Energy stock cost?
One share of Stone Energy stock can currently be purchased for approximately $22.67.
Earnings History for Stone Energy (NYSE:SGY)Earnings History by Quarter for Stone Energy (NYSE:SGY)
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|2/23/2017||Q4||($6.65)||($4.88)||$92.00 million||$113.11 million||View||N/A|
|11/7/2016||Q3||($6.67)||($7.40)||$32.17 million||$94.43 million||View||N/A|
|8/2/2016||Q2||($6.42)||($7.45)||$79.01 million||$89.32 million||View||N/A|
|5/4/2016||Q1||($0.76)||($0.79)||$72.52 million||$80.68 million||View||N/A|
|2/22/2016||Q415||$0.08||$0.04||$109.64 million||$110.50 million||View||Listen|
|11/2/2015||Q3||($0.09)||($0.15)||$128.15 million||$132.20 million||View||Listen|
|8/5/2015||Q2||($0.10)||($0.17)||$149.02 million||$149.50 million||View||Listen|
|5/4/2015||Q1||($0.19)||($0.23)||$167.43 million||$153.50 million||View||Listen|
|2/24/2015||Q4||($0.09)||($3.47)||$175.92 million||$184.78 million||View||Listen|
|11/4/2014||Q3||$0.07||($0.54)||$179.12 million||$183.20 million||View||Listen|
|8/5/2014||Q2||$0.39||$0.08||$221.53 million||$204.96 million||View||Listen|
|5/5/2014||Q114||$0.39||$0.52||$218.26 million||$223.80 million||View||Listen|
|2/24/2014||Q413||$0.57||$0.56||$245.50 million||$239.25 million||View||Listen|
|11/5/2013||Q313||$0.76||$0.72||$248.52 million||$256.68 million||View||Listen|
|8/5/2013||Q2 2013||$0.68||$0.78||$222.89 million||$245.90 million||View||Listen|
|5/6/2013||Q1 2013||$0.72||$0.82||$223.29 million||$232.90 million||View||Listen|
|2/25/2013||Q4 2012||$0.55||$0.89||$240.62 million||$254.90 million||View||Listen|
|11/6/2012||Q312||$0.57||$0.48||$219.42 million||$226.72 million||View||N/A|
Earnings Estimates for Stone Energy (NYSE:SGY)
2017 EPS Consensus Estimate: ($10.51)
(Data provided by Zacks Investment Research)
|Quarter||Number of Estimates||Low Estimate||High Estimate||Average Estimate|
Dividend History for Stone Energy (NYSE:SGY)
No dividend announcements for this company have been tracked by MarketBeat.com
Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History for Stone Energy (NYSE:SGY)
Insider Ownership Percentage: 3.50%Insider Trades by Quarter for Stone Energy (NYSE:SGY)
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 28.40%
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Details|
|3/7/2017||John J Leonard||VP||Sell||814||$21.11||$17,183.54|| |
|12/30/2016||Robert S. Murley||Director||Sell||4,027||$7.21||$29,034.67|| |
|12/23/2016||Kay G Priestly||Director||Sell||520||$8.71||$4,529.20|| |
|12/22/2016||Kenneth H. Beer||CFO||Sell||4,000||$9.70||$38,800.00|| |
|3/31/2015||David H Welch||CEO||Sell||11,000||$14.64||$161,040.00|| |
|11/6/2014||Kevin G Hurst||VP||Sell||3,000||$22.00||$66,000.00|| |
|3/11/2014||Phyllis Taylor||Director||Buy||7,000||$34.51||$241,570.00|| |
|5/28/2013||Kevin G Hurst||VP||Sell||1,000||$23.19||$23,190.00|| |
Headline Trends for Stone Energy (NYSE:SGY)
Latest Headlines for Stone Energy (NYSE:SGY)
|ETFs with exposure to Stone Energy Corp. : May 18, 2017|
finance.yahoo.com - May 19 at 10:02 AM
|Stone Energy Co. (SGY) Upgraded by ValuEngine to "Sell"|
www.americanbankingnews.com - May 18 at 3:28 PM
|Stone Energy Corp. :SGY-US: Earnings Analysis: Q1, 2017 By the Numbers : May 17, 2017|
finance.yahoo.com - May 17 at 7:44 PM
|Traders Focus on the API and EIA’s Crude Oil Inventories|
finance.yahoo.com - May 17 at 7:52 AM
|Oversupply Concerns: API and EIA’s Crude Oil Inventories|
finance.yahoo.com - May 10 at 10:53 AM
|Stone Energy Corporation Announces Results for the Three Months Ended March 31, 2017|
finance.yahoo.com - May 8 at 7:17 PM
|Stone Energy Co. (SGY) Expected to Announce Earnings of -$17.58 Per Share|
www.americanbankingnews.com - May 8 at 6:24 PM
|Stone Energy (SGY) Given News Sentiment Score of 0.09|
www.americanbankingnews.com - May 6 at 12:07 AM
|Favorable News Coverage Somewhat Likely to Impact Stone Energy (SGY) Share Price|
www.americanbankingnews.com - May 3 at 1:01 AM
|Stone Energy Co. (SGY) Given Average Recommendation of "Hold" by Brokerages|
www.americanbankingnews.com - May 1 at 11:12 PM
|Stone Energy (SGY) Says CEO David Welch to Retire; Jim Trimble ... - StreetInsider.com|
www.streetinsider.com - April 29 at 2:08 AM
|Stone Energy says CEO Welch to retire|
seekingalpha.com - April 28 at 9:08 PM
|Stone Energy (SGY) Says CEO David Welch to Retire; Jim Trimble Elected Interim CEO|
www.streetinsider.com - April 28 at 9:08 PM
|David Welch to Retire, Jim Trimble Elected Interim Chief Executive Officer and President of Stone Energy Corporation|
finance.yahoo.com - April 28 at 9:08 PM
|Favorable News Coverage Somewhat Unlikely to Affect Stone Energy (SGY) Stock Price|
www.americanbankingnews.com - April 28 at 12:38 AM
|Stone Energy (SGY) Given Daily Media Sentiment Score of 0.29|
www.americanbankingnews.com - April 24 at 7:31 PM
|Somewhat Favorable News Coverage Likely to Impact Stone Energy (SGY) Share Price|
www.americanbankingnews.com - April 21 at 11:50 PM
|US Refinery Demand Is near Record Levels|
finance.yahoo.com - April 20 at 7:53 PM
|Somewhat Positive Media Coverage Somewhat Likely to Impact Stone Energy (SGY) Share Price|
www.americanbankingnews.com - April 18 at 8:31 PM
|-$17.58 EPS Expected for Stone Energy Co. (SGY) This Quarter|
www.americanbankingnews.com - April 17 at 8:18 PM
|Somewhat Favorable Media Coverage Somewhat Likely to Effect Stone Energy (SGY) Stock Price|
www.americanbankingnews.com - April 14 at 9:53 PM
|Stone Energy hires advisor to explore strategic alternatives|
seekingalpha.com - April 12 at 11:12 PM
|Stone Energy Co. (SGY) Upgraded to Buy by Zacks Investment Research|
www.americanbankingnews.com - April 12 at 12:44 PM
|Stone Energy Corporation Retains Petrie Partners to Assist with Assessment of Strategic Direction|
finance.yahoo.com - April 11 at 7:33 PM
|These 4 Oil Stocks Cratered in March|
www.fool.com - April 10 at 12:43 PM
|Stone Energy Co. (SGY) Receives Average Recommendation of "Hold" from Brokerages|
www.americanbankingnews.com - April 4 at 8:28 PM
|Short Interest in Stone Energy Co. (SGY) Drops By 76.9%|
www.americanbankingnews.com - March 31 at 10:10 AM
|Why Is Stone Energy (SGY) Down 40.8% Since the Last Earnings Report? - Nasdaq|
www.nasdaq.com - March 29 at 8:24 AM
|Stone Energy Corporation Announces Upcoming Attendance at the Scotia Howard Weil Energy Conference|
us.rd.yahoo.com - March 27 at 7:00 PM
|Why Is Stone Energy (SGY) Down 40.8% Since the Last Earnings Report?|
finance.yahoo.com - March 27 at 9:14 AM
|Potential Short Opportunity In Recently Bankrupt Stone Energy Corporation|
seekingalpha.com - March 21 at 10:19 AM
|Stone Energy Corporation Announces Listing Of Warrants On NYSE MKT Under Ticker "SGYWS"|
us.rd.yahoo.com - March 10 at 12:47 AM
|Stone Energy Corporation (SGY) Receives Average Rating of “Hold” from Brokerages|
www.americanbankingnews.com - March 8 at 3:48 PM
|Stone Energy Corp (SGY)|
seekingalpha.com - March 8 at 12:39 AM
|Independent Oil & Gas Stocks Under Scanner -- California Resources, Stone Energy, Matador Resources, and Carrizo Oil & Gas|
www.bizjournals.com - March 7 at 9:13 AM
|Stone Energy Corporation Announces the Recordation of Second Lien Mortgages|
us.rd.yahoo.com - March 6 at 7:04 PM
|STONE ENERGY CORP Files SEC form 8-K/A, Financial Statements and Exhibits|
biz.yahoo.com - March 3 at 7:50 PM
|20 Biggest Mid-Day Gainers For Wednesday - Benzinga|
www.benzinga.com - March 3 at 8:04 AM
|Markets Soar to Record Highs after President Trump's Speech: Today's Reports on Stone Energy and Weight Watchers International|
finance.yahoo.com - March 2 at 7:54 PM
|Stone Energy The Latest Low-Float, Heavily-Shorted Stock To Blow The Roof Off The Market|
www.benzinga.com - March 1 at 8:05 PM
|Stone Energy upgraded by National Securities and CapitalOne|
us.rd.yahoo.com - March 1 at 8:05 PM
|STONE ENERGY CORP Financials|
finance.yahoo.com - March 1 at 8:05 PM
|STONE ENERGY CORP Files SEC form 8-K/A, Regulation FD Disclosure, Other Events, Financial Statements and Exhibits|
us.rd.yahoo.com - March 1 at 9:57 AM
|STONE ENERGY CORP Files SEC form 8-K, Entry into a Material Definitive Agreement, Termination of a Material Definitiv|
us.rd.yahoo.com - March 1 at 9:57 AM
|Stone Energy (SGY) Announces Emergence from Bankruptcy|
www.streetinsider.com - February 28 at 7:27 PM
|Stone Energy Corporation Announces Successful Completion of Financial Restructuring and Emergence from Bankruptcy|
us.rd.yahoo.com - February 28 at 7:27 PM
|STONE ENERGY CORP Files SEC form 8-K, Termination of a Material Definitive Agreement, Completion of Acquisition or Di|
biz.yahoo.com - February 27 at 4:35 PM
|Stone Energy Corporation Announces Close of Sale of Appalachia Properties|
finance.yahoo.com - February 27 at 4:35 PM
|Stone Energy (SGY) Incurs Wider-than-Expected Loss in Q4|
finance.yahoo.com - February 27 at 9:16 AM
|Stone Energy (SGY) Reports Emergence from Chapter 11 Reorganization; New Shares to Trade Under Same Ticker|
www.streetinsider.com - February 26 at 11:31 AM
Stone Energy (SGY) Chart for Thursday, May, 25, 2017