About Shopify (NYSE:SHOP)
Shopify Inc. (Shopify) provides a cloud-based, multi-channel commerce platform designed for small and medium-sized businesses. The Company offers subscription solutions and merchant solutions. The Company's software is used by merchants to run their business across all of their sales channels, including Web and mobile storefronts, physical retail locations, social media storefronts and marketplaces. The Shopify platform provides merchants with a single view of their business and customers across all of their sales channels and enables them to manage products and inventory, process orders and payments, ship orders, build customer relationships and leverage analytics and reporting all from one integrated back office. The Shopify platform includes a mobile-optimized checkout system, which is designed to enable merchants' consumers to buy products over mobile Websites. Its merchants are able to offer their customers the ability to check out by using Apple Pay.
Industry, Sector and Symbol:
- Sector: Computer and Technology
- Industry: E-commerce & Auction Services
- Sub-Industry: N/A
- Symbol: NYSE:SHOP
- CUSIP: N/A
- Web: www.shopify.ca
- Market Cap: $8.21676 billion
- Outstanding Shares: 98,555,000
- 50 Day Moving Avg: $110.16
- 200 Day Moving Avg: $110.16
- 52 Week Range: $37.74 - $123.94
Sales & Book Value:
- Trailing P/E Ratio: N/A
- Foreward P/E Ratio: -215.07
- P/E Growth: -96.21
- Annual Revenue: $509 million
- Price / Sales: 19.16
- Book Value: $9.92 per share
- Price / Book: 9.97
- EBITDA: ($34,470,000.00)
- Net Margins: -8.96%
- Return on Equity: -8.26%
- Return on Assets: -7.14%
- Debt-to-Equity Ratio: 0.01%
- Current Ratio: 11.80%
- Quick Ratio: 11.80%
- Average Volume: 3.91 million shs.
- Beta: 1.18
- Short Ratio: 1.51
Frequently Asked Questions for Shopify (NYSE:SHOP)
What is Shopify's stock symbol?
Shopify trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "SHOP."
How were Shopify's earnings last quarter?
Shopify Inc. (NYSE:SHOP) announced its quarterly earnings results on Tuesday, August, 1st. The company reported ($0.15) earnings per share (EPS) for the quarter, beating analysts' consensus estimates of ($0.20) by $0.05. The company had revenue of $151.70 million for the quarter, compared to the consensus estimate of $143.94 million. Shopify had a negative net margin of 8.96% and a negative return on equity of 8.26%. Shopify's revenue for the quarter was up 75.2% compared to the same quarter last year. During the same period in the previous year, the firm posted ($0.04) EPS. View Shopify's Earnings History.
When will Shopify make its next earnings announcement?
Where is Shopify's stock going? Where will Shopify's stock price be in 2017?
35 brokers have issued 1 year target prices for Shopify's shares. Their forecasts range from $50.00 to $146.00. On average, they expect Shopify's share price to reach $96.12 in the next year. View Analyst Ratings for Shopify.
What are analysts saying about Shopify stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Shopify stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Shopify's second-quarter 2017 results were impressive. The company's year-over-year revenue growth showed that Shopify’s cloud-based, multi-tenant, omni-channel, scalable platform is gaining adoption. The company continues to win new merchants, which surpassed 0.5 million at the end of quarter. The company is benefiting from retail’s rapid transition to mobile and social sales channels. Moreover, availability of Apple Pay and addition of eBay, Amazon and Facebook Messenger as sales channels are significant positives. Shopify has outperformed the broader industry on a year-to-date basis. However, the company’s increasing investments on product development, infrastructure and platform will continue to hurt profitability at least in 2017. We observe that the company is yet to report profit, which doesn’t augur well for investors." (8/7/2017)
- 2. Maxim Group analysts commented, "Shopify’s 1Q17 sales, adj. EBITDA, and adj." (5/3/2017)
- 3. BTIG Research analysts commented, "The +60% run in the stock YTD may trigger thoughts of irrational exuberance (or at least lofty expectations), but we view it instead as the natural outcome when a company achieves perfect product/market fit. It's no secret that digital commerce is a long run secular trend (the market piece of the puzzle), and no one makes it easier to participate in it than Shopify (the product piece). By effectively growing the pool of sellers beyond traditional retailers and Amazon (AMZN, Not Rated), the company has claimed a disproportionate share of gross merchandise value. And despite stellar performance since going public in May 2015, we still think Shopify is in the early stages of its growth cycle; a perfect product/market fit (along with a benign competitive environment) should sustain its strong trajectory. Expectations are rising as investors start to appreciate the company's true potential, and a valuation of 7x EV/FY18 Revenues may look lofty to some; however, we believe that the incredible product/market fit justifies the premium. Moreover, it should also serve as the foundation for continued financial outperformance. Maintain Buy." (3/21/2017)
- 4. Pacific Crest analysts commented, "With considerable runway ahead and multiple upside drivers, Shopify continues to be our favorite growth name to own. We are rolling out our 2021 model, and see a path to $1.7 billion in revenue and $90 billion in GMV, which would make Shopify a key data asset. Given its leading SaaS growth, a premium valuation is deserved. We are buyers and are raising our target to $78 (from $66)." (3/21/2017)
- 5. Wedbush analysts commented, "We expect Shopify to continue to grow at above-ecommerce market growth rates for the foreseeable future as it continues to penetrate its sizable SMB TAM and makes in-roads with larger brands. FY16 ends on a high note. Q4 results topped expectations as revenue grew 86% YoY to $130.4 million coming in well ahead of both consensus of $121.6 million and the guidance range of $120-$122 million. Revenue growth was driven by strong execution across the board." (2/16/2017)
Who are some of Shopify's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Shopify include MercadoLibre (MELI), The Trade Desk (TTD), Boohoo.Com PLC (BOO), Overstock.com (OSTK), AO World PLC (AO), Jumei International Holding Limited (JMEI), Mysale Group PLC (MYSL), Points International (PCOM), eve Sleep plc (EVE), CafePress (PRSS), Borderfree (BRDR), Cnova NV (CNV), E Commerce China Dangdang (DANG) and Geeknet (GKNT).
Who are Shopify's key executives?
Shopify's management team includes the folowing people:
- Tobias Albin Lutke, Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer, Co-Founder
- Russell Norman Jones, Chief Financial Officer
- Harley Michael Finkelstein, Chief Operating Officer
- Joseph Andrew Frasca, Senior Vice President, General Counsel, Secretary
- Brittany Jean Forsyth, Senior Vice President - Human Relations
- Jean-Michel Lemieux, Senior Vice President - Engineering
- Toby Shannan, Senior Vice President - Support
- Craig Stuart Miller, Chief Marketing Officer
- Daniel Weinand, Chief Design Officer
- Robert Gerard Ashe, Lead Independent Director
When did Shopify IPO?
(SHOP) raised $100 million in an initial public offering on Thursday, May 21st 2015. The company issued 7,700,000 shares at $12.00-$14.00 per share. Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse and RBC Capital Markets served as the underwriters for the IPO and Pacific Crest Securities, Raymond James and Canaccord Genuity were co-managers.
Who bought Shopify stock? Who is buying Shopify stock?
How do I buy Shopify stock?
Shares of Shopify can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is Shopify's stock price today?
MarketBeat Community Rating for Shopify (NYSE SHOP)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about Shopify and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe the stock will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe the stock will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.
One share of Shopify stock can currently be purchased for approximately $98.93.
Consensus Ratings for Shopify (NYSE:SHOP) (How are Consensus Ratings Calculated?)
MarketBeat calculates consensus ratings using the most recent rating from each brokerage that has rated a stock within the last twelve months. Since brokers often use different ratings systems, each rating is normalized to a standardized rating score of 1 (sell), 2 (hold), 3 (buy) or 4 (strong buy). Consensus ratings scores are calculated using the mean average of the number of normalized sell, hold, buy and strong buy ratings. Each stock's consensus rating is derived from its calculated consensus ratings score (0-1.5 = Sell, 1.5-2.5 = Hold, 2.5-3.5 = Buy, >3.5 = Strong Buy). MarketBeat's consensus price targets are a mean average of the most recent available price targets set by each analyst that has set a price target for the stock in the last twelve months.
MarketBeat will no longer include ratings and price target data in its consensus calculation if a broker drops coverage and MarketBeat has received a report that coverage was dropped. Ratings from certain research firms that issue ratings using purely quantitative methods (such as Zacks, Vetr and ValuEngine) are not included in consensus calculations. MarketBeat's consensus ratings and consensus price targets may differ from those calculated by other firms due to differences in methodology and available data.
|Ratings Breakdown: ||1 Sell Rating, 15 Hold Ratings, 19 Buy Ratings|
|Consensus Rating:||Buy (Score: 2.51)|
|Consensus Price Target: ||$96.12 (2.84% downside)|Consensus Price Target History for Shopify (NYSE:SHOP)
Analysts' Ratings History for Shopify (NYSE:SHOP)
(Data available from 10/19/2015 forward)
|Date||Firm||Action||Rating||Price Target||Impact on Share Price||Details|
|10/11/2017||KeyCorp||Set Price Target||Buy||$116.00||N/A|
|10/10/2017||Royal Bank Of Canada||Reiterated Rating||Hold||$99.00||N/A|
|10/6/2017||Piper Jaffray Companies||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$110.00||N/A|
|10/6/2017||Morgan Stanley||Reiterated Rating||Equal Weight||$109.00||N/A|
|10/5/2017||Robert W. Baird||Reiterated Rating||Outperform||$110.00||N/A|
|9/20/2017||Macquarie||Boost Price Target||Outperform||$121.00 -> $146.00||Medium|
|9/6/2017||DA Davidson||Initiated Coverage||Neutral -> Neutral||$95.00||High|
|8/24/2017||Ifs Securities||Initiated Coverage||Outperform||$115.00||Medium|
|8/9/2017||Oppenheimer Holdings, Inc.||Reiterated Rating||Hold||High|
|8/8/2017||Wedbush||Reiterated Rating||Outperform||$100.00 -> $115.00||Medium|
|8/2/2017||Barclays PLC||Reiterated Rating||Equal Weight||$70.00 -> $90.00||Low|
|8/2/2017||Roth Capital||Set Price Target||Buy||$117.00||High|
|8/2/2017||Canaccord Genuity||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$90.00 -> $115.00||High|
|7/13/2017||William Blair||Reiterated Rating||Market Perform||Low|
|7/12/2017||Benchmark Co.||Initiated Coverage||Hold -> Hold||High|
|6/26/2017||SunTrust Banks, Inc.||Initiated Coverage||Hold||$90.00||High|
|6/23/2017||Stephens||Reiterated Rating||Equal Weight||$97.00||High|
|6/13/2017||Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (The)||Downgrade||Buy -> Neutral||$100.80 -> $96.00||Low|
|5/26/2017||Industrial Alliance Securities||Boost Price Target||Buy||$87.00 -> $134.00||Low|
|5/23/2017||Credit Suisse Group||Reiterated Rating||Outperform -> Outperform||$95.00||Low|
|5/3/2017||Eight Capital||Upgrade||Neutral -> Buy||Low|
|5/3/2017||Maxim Group||Reiterated Rating||Hold||Low|
|5/3/2017||Bank of America Corporation||Downgrade||Neutral -> Underperform||$62.00 -> $84.00||Medium|
|5/1/2017||Monness Crespi & Hardt||Downgrade||Buy -> Neutral||High|
|4/27/2017||BTIG Research||Downgrade||Buy -> Neutral||Low|
|4/26/2017||Raymond James Financial, Inc.||Downgrade||Outperform -> Sector Perform||$104.50||Medium|
|4/23/2017||Mackie||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$70.00 -> $95.00||Medium|
|3/21/2017||Pacific Crest||Boost Price Target||Overweight||$66.00 -> $78.00||High|
|3/2/2017||National Bank Financial||Reiterated Rating||Outperform||$80.00||N/A|
|2/16/2017||Summit Redstone||Boost Price Target||Buy||$48.00 -> $69.00||N/A|
|2/16/2017||Susquehanna Bancshares Inc||Boost Price Target||Buy||$48.00 -> $69.00||N/A|
|2/16/2017||Summit Research||Boost Price Target||Buy||$48.00 -> $69.00||N/A|
|1/5/2017||Rosenblatt Securities||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$50.00||N/A|
|12/1/2016||Citigroup Inc.||Initiated Coverage||Market Perform||N/A|
|10/17/2016||Dundee Securities||Initiated Coverage||Neutral||$45.00||N/A|
|9/29/2016||CIBC||Initiated Coverage||Sector Outperform||N/A|
|4/14/2016||Paradigm Capital||Initiated Coverage||Buy||$35.00||N/A|
Earnings History for Shopify (NYSE:SHOP)Earnings History by Quarter for Shopify (NYSE SHOP)
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|8/1/2017||6/30/2017||($0.20)||($0.15)||$143.94 million||$151.70 million||View||Listen|
|5/2/2017||3/31/2017||($0.22)||($0.15)||$121.67 million||$127.40 million||View||Listen|
|11/2/2016||Q316||($0.03)||($0.02)||$94.62 million||$99.60 million||View||N/A|
|8/3/2016||Q216||($0.08)||($0.04)||$80.62 million||$86.36 million||View||N/A|
|5/4/2016||Q116||($0.09)||($0.06)||$66.89 million||$72.70 million||View||N/A|
|2/17/2016||Q415||($0.06)||($0.01)||$61.20 million||$70.20 million||View||Listen|
|11/4/2015||Q315||($0.06)||($0.06)||$47.64 million||$52.80 million||View||N/A|
|7/30/2015||Q215||($0.12)||($0.03)||$38.10 million||$44.90 million||View||Listen|
Earnings Estimates for Shopify (NYSE:SHOP)
Current Year EPS Consensus Estimate: $-0.6 EPS
Next Year EPS Consensus Estimate: $-0.46 EPS
Dividend History for Shopify (NYSE:SHOP)
No dividend announcements for this company have been tracked by MarketBeat.com
Insider Trading History for Shopify (NYSE:SHOP)
No insider trades for this company have been tracked by MarketBeat.com
Headline Trends for Shopify (NYSE:SHOP)
Latest Headlines for Shopify (NYSE:SHOP)
Shopify (SHOP) Chart for Thursday, October, 19, 2017