SM Energy Company is an independent energy company. The Company is engaged in the acquisition, exploration, development and production of crude oil and condensate, natural gas and natural gas liquids in onshore North America. It operates in the exploration and production segment of the oil and gas industry within the United States. Its operations are concentrated in onshore operating areas in the United States, which include South Texas and Gulf Coast Region, Rocky Mountain Region and Permian Region. It has working interests in approximately 1,027 gross productive oil wells and approximately 1,882 gross productive gas wells. Its South Texas and Gulf Coast Region has both operated and non-operated Eagle Ford shale program. It has approximately 124,000 net acres in Divide County, North Dakota, and approximately 156,000 net acres in the Powder River Basin. Its Permian Region closed multiple transactions in the Midland Basin in west Texas acquiring approximately 62,000 net acres.
Industry, Sector and Symbol:
- Sector: Oils/Energy
- Industry: Oil & Gas Exploration and Production - NEC
- Sub-Industry: Oil & Gas Exploration & Production
- Symbol: NYSE:SM
- CUSIP: 78454L10
- Web: www.sm-energy.com
- Market Cap: $1.84 billion
- Outstanding Shares: 111,258,000
- 50 Day Moving Avg: $16.55
- 200 Day Moving Avg: $23.08
- 52 Week Range: $13.76 - $43.09
Sales & Book Value:
- Trailing P/E Ratio: N/A
- Foreward P/E Ratio: -33.69
- P/E Growth: -0.14
- Annual Revenue: $1.25 billion
- Price / Sales: 1.47
- Book Value: $23.51 per share
- Price / Book: 0.70
- Annual Dividend: $0.10
- Dividend Yield: 0.6%
- EBIDTA: $376.48 million
- Net Margins: -23.23%
- Return on Equity: -3.28%
- Return on Assets: -1.16%
- Debt-to-Equity Ratio: 1.11%
- Current Ratio: 2.40%
- Quick Ratio: 2.40%
- Average Volume: 4.26 million shs.
- Beta: 2.88
- Short Ratio: 3.2
Frequently Asked Questions for SM Energy Company (NYSE:SM)
What is SM Energy Company's stock symbol?
SM Energy Company trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "SM."
How often does SM Energy Company pay dividends? What is the dividend yield for SM Energy Company?
SM Energy Company announced a semiannual dividend on Thursday, March 30th. Investors of record on Friday, April 21st will be given a dividend of $0.05 per share on Wednesday, May 3rd. This represents a yield of 0.43%. The ex-dividend date of this dividend is Wednesday, April 19th. View SM Energy Company's Dividend History.
How were SM Energy Company's earnings last quarter?
SM Energy Company (NYSE:SM) issued its quarterly earnings results on Tuesday, May, 2nd. The company reported $0.18 earnings per share (EPS) for the quarter, beating analysts' consensus estimates of ($0.36) by $0.54. The firm earned $372.74 million during the quarter, compared to analysts' expectations of $309.43 million. SM Energy Company had a negative net margin of 23.23% and a negative return on equity of 3.28%. View SM Energy Company's Earnings History.
When will SM Energy Company make its next earnings announcement?
Where is SM Energy Company's stock going? Where will SM Energy Company's stock price be in 2017?
20 analysts have issued 1-year price targets for SM Energy Company's stock. Their forecasts range from $16.00 to $59.00. On average, they expect SM Energy Company's share price to reach $36.11 in the next year. View Analyst Ratings for SM Energy Company.
What are analysts saying about SM Energy Company stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about SM Energy Company stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Though SM Energy holds considerable acreage in the Williston Basin, most of its holdings lie in the region having low yield. Thus, its results will likely lag its peers who have acreage in the core region of the Bakken. The company is facing pressure on top line. Over the past three years (2014–2016), total revenues declined at a CAGR of 30.5%. Continued pressure on oil and gas prices are the primarily reasons for decrease in revenues. We are also concerned with the company’s high debt load. At the end of the first quarter, SM Energy’s debt balance stood at $2,898.6 million compared with cash balance of $659.1 million in the balance sheet. In fact, the company’s debt-to-capitalization ratio is 52.6%, higher than the broader industry average of 50.3%." (7/19/2017)
- 2. Williams Capital analysts commented, "We came away from the mee�ngs with greater conﬁdence in management ’s ability to execute on its 3-year produc�on growth CAGR guidance of >15% (we raised our es�mate to 20.2%). With wells outperforming its acquisi�on model by 30% on average in its RockStar area in Howard and Mar�n Coun�es, we believe an inﬂec�on point is developing for a beat -and-raise setup in the coming quarters, which should li� investor concerns. SM remains one of our Top Picks. With nearly 100% upside to our conservative $45 PT, we believe the recent underperformance provides an excellent opportunity to own a transformational story with a solid ﬁnancial position (3.1 x net- debt/EBITDA at YE17) at an unduly discounted valuation (SM trades at a two-turn discount to its peers’ average EV/EBITDA – see valuation section below). In our view, execution across its ~86,700 net Midland Basin acres will be key to driving share performance. As the Company grows its Midland Basin oil volumes over the next several quarters improving visibility into 2018/2019, shares should witness multiple expansion, in our view, which should prove our $45 PT to be conservative." (4/17/2017)
- 3. UBS AG analysts commented, "Among our Permian-levered E&P coverage, SM offers high risk/high reward given its competitive cash flow per debt-adjusted share growth & valuation discount though balanced by a large multi-year outspend and execution concerns. We believe SM is one of the E&Ps most exposed to weak oil prices, given the implied outspend and a large committed activity ramp. The funding gap is expected to be partly bridged by the sale of its oily Divide County assets, pricing of which is also tied to the oil price outlook. The company's portfolio is also in flux, with the recent sale of non-operated Eagle Ford & expected sale of Divide County, making comparison difficult vs. Street (we are below consensus). Given the moving pieces, we prefer to wait for more macro stability, clarity on Howard County delineation results, & execution track record before stepping off the sidelines." (3/23/2017)
- 4. Piper Jaffray Companies analysts commented, "SM Energy (SM) shares sank 8% today. The decline was primarily driven by the Q4 production miss and weaker '17 expectations (especially on an oil cut relative to our prior expectations) resulting in a reduction in '17 earnings and cash flows. Secondarily, the shares were negatively impacted by higher-than-expected Permian well costs. We thought the Permian update was instructive and demonstrated the progress the company has made in the play. In addition, the new wells announced today were good, many with just 20 day rates provided (meaning the 30 day rate will likely be higher given production was still increasing). While SM shares are maddeningly volatile (and are never easy), we reiterate our OW rating given the favorable valuation and risk/reward proposition. We believe long-term investors could be rewarded as SM drives Permian production growth and de-risks their acreage in the Midland basin." (2/1/2017)
Who are some of SM Energy Company's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to SM Energy Company include Laredo Petroleum (LPI), PDC Energy (PDCE), Southwestern Energy Company (SWN), Gulfport Energy Corporation (GPOR), Kosmos Energy (KOS), Transportadora De Gas Sa Ord B (TGS), Matador Resources Company (MTDR), Callon Petroleum Company (CPE), Enerplus Corporation (ERF), Magellan Petroleum Corporation (TELL), Whiting Petroleum Corporation (WLL), Black Stone Minerals, L.P. (BSM), Viper Energy Partners LP (VNOM), SRC Energy (SRCI), SRC Energy (SRCI), Tullow Oil plc (TLW), Advantage Oil & Gas Ltd (AAV) and Carrizo Oil & Gas (CRZO).
Who are SM Energy Company's key executives?
SM Energy Company's management team includes the folowing people:
- William D. Sullivan, Independent Chairman of the Board
- Javan D. Ottoson, President, Chief Executive Officer, Director
- A. Wade Pursell, Chief Financial Officer, Executive Vice President
- David W. Copeland, Executive Vice President, General Counsel, Corporate Secretary
- Herbert S. Vogel, Executive Vice President - Operations
- Kenneth J. Knott, Senior Vice President—Business Development and Land and Assistant Secretary
- Mary Ellen Lutey, Senior Vice President and Regional Manager
- Lehman E. Newton III, Senior Vice President - Regional Manager
- Mark T. Solomon, Vice President, Controller, Assistant Secretary
- David J. Whitcomb, Vice President - Marketing
Who owns SM Energy Company stock?
SM Energy Company's stock is owned by many different of institutional and retail investors. Top institutional shareholders include Peregrine Capital Management LLC (0.25%), Dudley & Shanley LLC (0.11%), US Bancorp DE (0.07%), LS Investment Advisors LLC (0.05%), Mathes Company Inc. (0.04%) and State Treasurer State of Michigan (0.04%). Company insiders that own SM Energy Company stock include David W Copeland, Herbert S Vogel, Javan D Ottoson, Kenneth J Knott, Rose M Robeson and William D Sullivan. View Institutional Ownership Trends for SM Energy Company.
Who sold SM Energy Company stock? Who is selling SM Energy Company stock?
Who bought SM Energy Company stock? Who is buying SM Energy Company stock?
SM Energy Company's stock was purchased by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Peregrine Capital Management LLC, Mathes Company Inc., Creative Planning, Nisa Investment Advisors LLC, Aperio Group LLC, NN Investment Partners Holdings N.V., Oregon Public Employees Retirement Fund and Louisiana State Employees Retirement System. Company insiders that have bought SM Energy Company stock in the last two years include David W Copeland, Herbert S Vogel, Javan D Ottoson, Rose M Robeson and William D Sullivan. View Insider Buying and Selling for SM Energy Company.
How do I buy SM Energy Company stock?
Shares of SM Energy Company can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is SM Energy Company's stock price today?
MarketBeat Community Rating for SM Energy Company (NYSE SM)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about SM Energy Company and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe the stock will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe the stock will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.
One share of SM Energy Company stock can currently be purchased for approximately $16.51.
Consensus Ratings for SM Energy Company (NYSE:SM) (How are Consensus Ratings Calculated?)
MarketBeat calculates consensus ratings using the most recent rating from each brokerage that has rated a stock within the last twelve months. Since brokers often use different ratings systems, each rating is normalized to a standardized rating score of 1 (sell), 2 (hold), 3 (buy) or 4 (strong buy). Consensus ratings scores are calculated using the mean average of the number of normalized sell, hold, buy and strong buy ratings. Each stock's consensus rating is derived from its calculated consensus ratings score (0-1.5 = Sell, 1.5-2.5 = Hold, 2.5-3.5 = Buy, >3.5 = Strong Buy). MarketBeat's consensus price targets are a mean average of the most recent available price targets set by each analyst that has set a price target for the stock in the last twelve months.
MarketBeat will no longer include ratings and price target data in its consensus calculation if a broker drops coverage and MarketBeat has received a report that coverage was dropped. Ratings from certain research firms that issue ratings using purely quantitative methods (such as Zacks, Vetr and ValuEngine) are not included in consensus calculations. MarketBeat's consensus ratings and consensus price targets may differ from those calculated by other firms due to differences in methodology and available data.
|Ratings Breakdown: ||9 Hold Ratings, 11 Buy Ratings|
|Consensus Rating:||Buy (Score: 2.55)|
|Consensus Price Target: ||$36.11 (118.72% upside)|
Analysts' Ratings History for SM Energy Company (NYSE:SM)
(Data available from 7/24/2015 forward)
|Date||Firm||Action||Rating||Price Target||Impact on Share Price||Details|
|7/19/2017||Bank of America Corporation||Initiated Coverage||Neutral -> Neutral||$20.00||High|
|7/1/2017||Scotiabank||Set Price Target||Hold||$19.00||Medium|
|6/21/2017||Seaport Global Securities||Downgrade||Buy -> Neutral||$31.00 -> $16.00||High|
|6/6/2017||Williams Capital||Set Price Target||Buy||$40.00||Medium|
|6/1/2017||Credit Suisse Group||Initiated Coverage||Outperform -> Outperform||$30.00||Medium|
|4/25/2017||Royal Bank Of Canada||Set Price Target||Hold||$36.00||Medium|
|4/22/2017||Barclays PLC||Reiterated Rating||Overweight||$38.00 -> $30.00||Medium|
|3/7/2017||Deutsche Bank AG||Lower Price Target||Hold||$39.00 -> $36.00||N/A|
|2/1/2017||Wolfe Research||Upgrade||Market Perform -> Outperform||N/A|
|2/1/2017||Piper Jaffray Companies||Lower Price Target||Overweight||$48.00 -> $44.00||N/A|
|1/11/2017||BMO Capital Markets||Reiterated Rating||Hold||$35.00||N/A|
|12/1/2016||Stifel Nicolaus||Upgrade||Hold -> Buy||$35.00 -> $51.00||N/A|
|10/24/2016||KLR Group||Boost Price Target||Buy||$53.00 -> $59.00||N/A|
|10/18/2016||Capital One Financial Corporation||Upgrade||Equal Weight -> Overweight||N/A|
|10/4/2016||Howard Weil||Upgrade||Sector Perform -> Sector Outperform||$35.00 -> $48.00||N/A|
|8/23/2016||Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group||Upgrade||Underweight -> Neutral||$36.00||N/A|
|8/22/2016||Citigroup Inc.||Upgrade||Neutral||$16.00 -> $36.00||N/A|
|8/15/2016||Simmons||Upgrade||Neutral -> Overweight||$38.00 -> $50.00||N/A|
|8/14/2016||Cantor Fitzgerald||Reiterated Rating||Hold||N/A|
|8/10/2016||KeyCorp||Upgrade||Sector Weight -> Overweight||$40.00||N/A|
|5/8/2016||Robert W. Baird||Reiterated Rating||Buy||N/A|
|5/4/2016||Topeka Capital Markets||Boost Price Target||Buy||$32.00 -> $35.00||N/A|
|4/21/2016||Guggenheim||Downgrade||Buy -> Neutral||$17.00||N/A|
|3/16/2016||J P Morgan Chase & Co||Reiterated Rating||Hold||N/A|
|2/3/2016||GMP Securities||Initiated Coverage||Buy||$27.00||N/A|
|1/26/2016||Susquehanna Bancshares Inc||Lower Price Target||Neutral||$19.00 -> $14.00||N/A|
|12/8/2015||Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Inc||Reiterated Rating||Neutral||N/A|
|7/29/2015||Raymond James Financial, Inc.||Upgrade||Market Perform -> Outperform||N/A|
Earnings History for SM Energy Company (NYSE:SM)Earnings History by Quarter for SM Energy Company (NYSE SM)
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|7/31/2017|| || || || || || || || |
|5/2/2017||Q1 2017||($0.36)||$0.18||$309.43 million||$372.74 million||View||Listen|
|8/2/2016||Q216||($0.71)||($0.44)||$328.18 million||$341.80 million||View||Listen|
|5/3/2016||Q116||($0.76)||($5.10)||$344.49 million||$143.08 million||View||Listen|
|2/23/2016||Q415||($0.58)||($0.90)||$388.62 million||$303.70 million||View||Listen|
|10/27/2015||Q315||($0.29)||($0.34)||$439.11 million||$371.15 million||View||Listen|
|7/28/2015||Q215||($0.01)||$0.49||$475.85 million||$516.15 million||View||Listen|
|5/5/2015||Q1||$0.31||$0.21||$543.15 million||$365.90 million||View||Listen|
|2/24/2015||Q414||$1.09||$1.05||$629.20 million||$595.82 million||View||Listen|
|10/28/2014||Q314||$1.47||$1.48||$621.50 million||$618.80 million||View||Listen|
|7/29/2014||Q214||$1.60||$0.88||$621.71 million||$674.98 million||View||Listen|
|4/29/2014||Q114||$1.48||$1.58||$599.71 million||$632.70 million||View||Listen|
|2/18/2014||Q413||$1.46||$1.26||$612.80 million||$593.70 million||View||Listen|
|10/30/2013||Q313||$1.05||$1.04||$575.30 million||$613.10 million||View||Listen|
|4/30/2013||Q1 2013||$0.58||$0.82||$461.30 million||$484.20 million||View||Listen|
|2/20/2013||Q4 2012||$0.24||$0.45||$414.81 million||$444.31 million||View||Listen|
Earnings Estimates for SM Energy Company (NYSE:SM)
2017 EPS Consensus Estimate: ($1.17)
2018 EPS Consensus Estimate: $0.07
(Data provided by Zacks Investment Research)
|Quarter||Number of Estimates||Low Estimate||High Estimate||Average Estimate|
Current Dividend Information for SM Energy Company (NYSE:SM)
|Most Recent Dividend:||5/3/2017|
|Dividend Growth:||0.00% (3 Year Average)|
|Payout Ratio:||-2.21% (Trailing 12 Months of Earnings) |
-10.87% (Based on This Year's Estimates)
-20.41% (Based on Next Year's Estimates)
Dividend History by Quarter for SM Energy Company (NYSE SM)
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Announced||Period||Amount||Yield||Ex-Dividend Date||Record Date||Payable Date|
Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History for SM Energy Company (NYSE:SM)
Insider Ownership Percentage: 0.89%Insider Trades by Quarter for SM Energy Company (NYSE:SM)
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 97.92%
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Details|
|6/8/2017||Herbert S Vogel||EVP||Buy||3,000||$16.60||$49,800.00|| |
|6/8/2017||Javan D Ottoson||CEO||Buy||2,000||$16.44||$32,880.00|| |
|3/13/2017||Herbert S Vogel||EVP||Buy||1,000||$21.84||$21,840.00|| |
|3/8/2017||Herbert S Vogel||EVP||Buy||2,000||$23.10||$46,200.00|| |
|3/8/2017||Rose M Robeson||Director||Buy||1,000||$23.36||$23,360.00|| |
|2/27/2017||Herbert S Vogel||EVP||Buy||1,000||$25.70||$25,700.00|| |
|2/27/2017||Javan D Ottoson||CEO||Buy||5,000||$25.22||$126,100.00|| |
|2/27/2017||William D Sullivan||Director||Buy||10,000||$25.69||$256,900.00|| |
|9/29/2016||Kenneth J Knott||SVP||Sell||661||$40.00||$26,440.00|| |
|3/1/2016||Herbert S Vogel||EVP||Buy||6,000||$8.64||$51,840.00|| |
|2/29/2016||Javan D Ottoson||CEO||Buy||2,500||$9.00||$22,500.00|| |
|2/26/2016||Javan D Ottoson||CEO||Buy||5,000||$7.95||$39,750.00|| |
|12/8/2015||David W Copeland||EVP||Buy||10,000||$23.04||$230,400.00|| |
|6/9/2015||Herbert S Vogel||EVP||Buy||2,000||$48.28||$96,560.00|| |
|6/8/2015||Herbert S Vogel||EVP||Buy||1,000||$48.28||$48,280.00|| |
|3/2/2015||John M Seidl||Director||Sell||3,500||$46.78||$163,730.00|| |
|11/19/2014||Herbert S Vogel||EVP||Buy||1,000||$50.55||$50,550.00|| |
|11/14/2014||David W Copeland||EVP||Buy||5,000||$51.54||$257,700.00|| |
|11/13/2014||Ramiro G Peru||Director||Buy||5,000||$51.41||$257,050.00|| |
|8/1/2014||John M Seidl||Director||Sell||2,020||$77.77||$157,095.40|| |
|7/16/2014||Gregory T Leyendecker||VP||Sell||1,933||$78.13||$151,025.29|| |
|2/25/2014||Herbert Vogel||SVP||Buy||1,000||$71.50||$71,500.00|| |
|2/21/2014||David Copeland||VP||Buy||3,500||$72.13||$252,455.00|| |
|2/21/2014||Javan Ottoson||COO||Buy||1,000||$71.94||$71,940.00|| |
|12/3/2013||Mary Ellen Lutey||VP||Sell||7,294||$90.64||$661,128.16|| |
|11/26/2013||William Sullivan||Director||Sell||15,000||$91.90||$1,378,500.00|| |
|11/21/2013||John Seidl||Director||Sell||2,286||$90.00||$205,740.00|| |
|10/14/2013||Kenneth Knott||VP||Sell||1,523||$80.80||$123,058.40|| |
|8/12/2013||William Gardiner||Director||Sell||11,428||$67.95||$776,532.60|| |
|8/2/2013||A Wade Pursell||CFO||Sell||3,600||$70.28||$253,008.00|| |
|8/2/2013||John Seidl||Director||Sell||4,500||$70.15||$315,675.00|| |
|8/2/2013||Mark Solomon||VP||Sell||7,000||$69.95||$489,650.00|| |
Headline Trends for SM Energy Company (NYSE:SM)
Latest Headlines for SM Energy Company (NYSE:SM)
SM Energy Company (SM) Chart for Monday, July, 24, 2017