About Unit Corporation (NYSE:UNT)
Unit Corporation is an oil and natural gas contract drilling company. The Company has operations in the exploration and production and mid-stream areas. The Company operates through three segments: Oil and Natural Gas, Contract Drilling and Mid-Stream. It is primarily engaged in the exploration, development, acquisition, and production of oil and natural gas properties, the land contract drilling of natural gas and oil wells, and the buying, selling, gathering, processing and treating of natural gas. Its Oil and Natural Gas operations are carried out by its subsidiary Unit Petroleum Company. Contract Drilling operations are carried out by its subsidiary Unit Drilling Company. Its drills onshore oil and natural gas wells for its own account, as well as for other oil and natural gas companies. Its Mid-Stream operations are carried out by its subsidiary Superior Pipeline Company, L.L.C. Its mid-stream operations consist of buying, selling, gathering, processing and treating natural gas.
Industry, Sector and Symbol:
- Sector: Oils/Energy
- Industry: Oil & Gas Exploration and Production
- Sub-Industry: Oil & Gas Drilling
- Symbol: NYSE:UNT
- CUSIP: 90921810
- Web: www.unitcorp.com
- Market Cap: $969.95 million
- Outstanding Shares: 52,886,000
- 50 Day Moving Avg: $19.06
- 200 Day Moving Avg: $18.93
- 52 Week Range: $15.29 - $30.63
Sales & Book Value:
- Trailing P/E Ratio: 352.69
- Foreward P/E Ratio: 16.67
- P/E Growth: 0.80
- Annual Revenue: $673.99 million
- Price / Sales: 1.44
- Book Value: $23.53 per share
- Price / Book: 0.78
- EBITDA: $294.64 million
- Net Margins: 0.39%
- Return on Equity: 2.07%
- Return on Assets: 1.01%
- Debt-to-Equity Ratio: 0.65%
- Current Ratio: 0.68%
- Quick Ratio: 0.66%
- Average Volume: 515,020 shs.
- Beta: 2.84
- Short Ratio: 7.87
Frequently Asked Questions for Unit Corporation (NYSE:UNT)
What is Unit Corporation's stock symbol?
Unit Corporation trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "UNT."
How were Unit Corporation's earnings last quarter?
Unit Corporation (NYSE:UNT) released its quarterly earnings results on Thursday, August, 3rd. The company reported $0.07 earnings per share for the quarter, topping analysts' consensus estimates of $0.06 by $0.01. The business earned $170.58 million during the quarter, compared to analysts' expectations of $178.59 million. Unit Corporation had a return on equity of 2.07% and a net margin of 0.39%. The company's revenue was up 23.3% compared to the same quarter last year. During the same period in the prior year, the business posted ($0.15) EPS. View Unit Corporation's Earnings History.
When will Unit Corporation make its next earnings announcement?
Where is Unit Corporation's stock going? Where will Unit Corporation's stock price be in 2017?
4 brokerages have issued 12-month price targets for Unit Corporation's stock. Their predictions range from $20.00 to $30.00. On average, they anticipate Unit Corporation's stock price to reach $25.25 in the next twelve months. View Analyst Ratings for Unit Corporation.
What are analysts saying about Unit Corporation stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Unit Corporation stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "UNIT CORP. is engaged in the land contract drilling of oil and natural gas wells, the development, acquisition and production of oil and natural gas properties, and the marketing of natural gas. Its principal areas of operations are located in the Anadarko and Arkoma Basins, which cover portions of Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas and Arkansas and has additional producing properties located in other states, including but not limited to, New Mexico, Louisiana, North Dakota, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Alabama and Mississippi. " (10/12/2017)
- 2. National Securities analysts commented, "What Happened:
• Unit produced slightly less than we projected on the quarter, but stayed in line with its band of guidance. Specifically, the company finished 1Q17 at 41.5 thousand barrels of oil equivalent (Mboe) per day (down 9% from prior quarter), and 4% shy of our own estimates (43.0 Mboe/d). In regards to Unit’s midstream segment, the company saw an 8% contraction in gas gathered, in addition to a 10% decline in gas processed, over the same time period. Despite the aforementioned declines, Unit still managed a slight (1%) increase in total revenue, driven in large measure by higher realized prices.
• To that point, Unit earned $48.68 per barrel (bbl) of oil in 1Q, 6% higher than the prior quarter and essentially in line with our projection of $48.53. Natural gas prices were 13% stronger on a sequential basis, while natural gas liquids (NGL’s) led the pack with a 22% improvement.
• In looking to Unit’s contract drilling segment, the active rig count increased to 25.5, from 19.5 contracted rigs in 4Q16. We did however note a weakening in day rates, with Unit earning $15,835 per day, versus our estimate of $16,800 and $16,866 in the previous quarter.
• In our view, Unit continues to be hampered more by external (i.e. global oil and gas prices) factors, than by internal operations. Despite having 3 distinct business segments (and thus a diversification of revenue sources), the risk attributable to each is highly correlated in our view. Thus as downturns occur across the oil and gas space, Unit is vulnerable to see downturns across all three fronts.
• Still, we contend that Unit’s approach to managing risk, shielded the firm well during the past 18-24 month downturn in global oil prices. We point specifically to its measured approach to production growth, along with what we consider to be a solid balance sheet. Specifically, Unit’s net debt to total capital ratio remains below 40%, while its interest coverage ration exceeds 7.5x by our calculation. Finally, we anticipate that Unit will continue to keep spending levels within its operating cash flows.
• We do not think that we are out of the woods yet as it relates to pricing. In fact, investors should be aware of a recent retracement in West Texas Intermediate (WTI) oil prices to $45 per barrel. In candor, the recent behavior in oil prices (i.e. a series of lower highs before this recent downturn), gives us pause. Additionally, recent data from the Energy Information Administration (EIA), implies that oil inventories remain near the upper limit of historic averages. Still we contend that Unit should be able to weather another leg down, given its aforementioned balance sheet. Moreover, we expect that Unit will be opportunistic in adding to its hedge book to protect against further price declines.
• We get the sense from management statements that each of Unit’s segments are entering the beginning stages of “growth mode”. Indeed, we made note of the uptick in contracted rigs in 1Q17, and expect an additional increase in the upcoming quarter as well. As it relates to production, we expect sequential increases for the remainder of 2017.
• We reiterate our BUY rating, and maintain our $30 price target. We arrive at our price target, using our internal sum of the parts NAV calculation for Unit’s upstream assets. Additionally, we value Unit’s drilling company and midstream operations using a multiple of projected EBITDA from each respective unit. Finally, we make adjustments for balance sheet data, along with the value of undeveloped acreage.
Who are some of Unit Corporation's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Unit Corporation include Whiting Petroleum Corporation (WLL), SRC Energy (SRCI), SRC Energy (SRCI), Carrizo Oil & Gas (CRZO), Wildhorse Resource Development Corporation (WRD), Cairn Energy PLC (CNE), Advantage Oil & Gas Ltd (AAV), EP Energy Corporation (EPE), Baytex Energy Corp (BTE), Eclipse Resources Corporation (ECR), Pengrowth Energy Corporation (PGH), Denbury Resources (DNR), Ophir Energy Plc (OPHR), California Resources Corporation (CRC), W&T Offshore (WTI), Sound Energy PLC (SOU), SOCO International plc (SIA) and Hurricane Energy PLC (HUR).
Who are Unit Corporation's key executives?
Unit Corporation's management team includes the folowing people:
- J. Michael Adcock, Independent Chairman of the Board
- Larry D. Pinkston, President, Chief Executive Officer, Director
- David T. Merrill, Chief Financial Officer, Chief Operating Officer, Senior Vice President, Treasurer
- Robert H. Parks Jr., Manager and President of Superior Pipeline Company, L.L.C.
- John H. Cromling, Executive Vice President - Unit Drilling Company
- Mark E. Schell, Senior Vice President, General Counsel, Corporate Secretary
- Frank Q. Young, Executive Vice President of Unit Petroleum Company
- G. Bailey Peyton IV, Director
- Gary R. Christopher, Independent Director
- Steven B. Hildebrand, Independent Director
Who owns Unit Corporation stock?
Who sold Unit Corporation stock? Who is selling Unit Corporation stock?
How do I buy Unit Corporation stock?
Shares of Unit Corporation can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is Unit Corporation's stock price today?
MarketBeat Community Rating for Unit Corporation (NYSE UNT)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about Unit Corporation and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe the stock will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe the stock will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.
One share of Unit Corporation stock can currently be purchased for approximately $18.34.
Consensus Ratings for Unit Corporation (NYSE:UNT) (How are Consensus Ratings Calculated?)
MarketBeat calculates consensus ratings using the most recent rating from each brokerage that has rated a stock within the last twelve months. Since brokers often use different ratings systems, each rating is normalized to a standardized rating score of 1 (sell), 2 (hold), 3 (buy) or 4 (strong buy). Consensus ratings scores are calculated using the mean average of the number of normalized sell, hold, buy and strong buy ratings. Each stock's consensus rating is derived from its calculated consensus ratings score (0-1.5 = Sell, 1.5-2.5 = Hold, 2.5-3.5 = Buy, >3.5 = Strong Buy). MarketBeat's consensus price targets are a mean average of the most recent available price targets set by each analyst that has set a price target for the stock in the last twelve months.
MarketBeat will no longer include ratings and price target data in its consensus calculation if a broker drops coverage and MarketBeat has received a report that coverage was dropped. Ratings from certain research firms that issue ratings using purely quantitative methods (such as Zacks, Vetr and ValuEngine) are not included in consensus calculations. MarketBeat's consensus ratings and consensus price targets may differ from those calculated by other firms due to differences in methodology and available data.
|Ratings Breakdown: ||3 Hold Ratings, 1 Buy Rating|
|Consensus Rating:||Hold (Score: 2.25)|
|Consensus Price Target: ||$25.25 (37.68% upside)|Consensus Price Target History for Unit Corporation (NYSE:UNT)
Analysts' Ratings History for Unit Corporation (NYSE:UNT)
(Data available from 10/22/2015 forward)
|Date||Firm||Action||Rating||Price Target||Impact on Share Price||Details|
|10/17/2017||KLR Group||Downgrade||Buy -> Hold||N/A|
|9/17/2017||Cowen and Company||Reiterated Rating||Hold||$25.00||Low|
|8/3/2017||Scotiabank||Set Price Target||Hold||$26.00||Medium|
|5/8/2017||National Securities||Reiterated Rating||Buy -> Buy||$30.00 -> $30.00||High|
|6/24/2016||Seaport Global Securities||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$22.00||N/A|
|5/6/2016||Raymond James Financial, Inc.||Upgrade||Market Perform -> Strong-Buy||$20.00||N/A|
|12/17/2015||SunTrust Banks, Inc.||Initiated Coverage||Buy||$18.00||N/A|
Earnings History for Unit Corporation (NYSE:UNT)Earnings History by Quarter for Unit Corporation (NYSE UNT)
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|8/3/2017||Q2 2017||$0.06||$0.07||$178.59 million||$170.58 million||View||Listen|
|5/4/2017||Q1 2017||$0.23||$0.15||$177.58 million||$175.70 million||View||Listen|
|2/23/2017||Q4 2016||$0.07||$0.23||$168.29 million||$174.30 million||View||N/A|
|11/3/2016||Q3 16||($0.08)||$0.04||$152.05 million||$153.40 million||View||N/A|
|8/4/2016||Q2||($0.22)||($0.15)||$131.05 million||$138.30 million||View||N/A|
|5/5/2016||Q1||($0.40)||($0.41)||$157.08 million||$136.20 million||View||N/A|
|2/25/2016||Q415||($0.20)||($0.14)||$179.34 million||$172.30 million||View||Listen|
|11/3/2015||Q315||($0.28)||$0.03||$204.75 million||$212.40 million||View||N/A|
|8/4/2015||Q2||($0.18)||($0.12)||$224.50 million||$214.50 million||View||N/A|
|5/7/2015||Q1 15||($0.16)||$0.08||$262.75 million||$255.10 million||View||N/A|
|2/24/2015||Q414||$0.82||$0.80||$408.20 million||$378.55 million||View||N/A|
|11/4/2014||Q314||$1.09||$1.37||$410.98 million||$401.00 million||View||N/A|
|8/5/2014||Q214||$1.15||$1.13||$398.93 million||$405.40 million||View||N/A|
|5/8/2014||$1.14||$1.29||$379.30 million||$387.99 million||View||N/A|
|11/5/2013||Q313||$1.00||$0.85||$341.92 million||$333.78 million||View||N/A|
|8/6/2013||Q2 2013||$0.93||$1.01||$331.41 million||$340.42 million||View||N/A|
|5/7/2013||Q1 2013||$0.88||$0.92||$330.53 million||$318.53 million||View||N/A|
|11/1/2012||Q312||$0.96||$0.97||$327.88 million||$317.80 million||View||N/A|
Earnings Estimates for Unit Corporation (NYSE:UNT)
2017 EPS Consensus Estimate: $0.59
2018 EPS Consensus Estimate: $1.18
(Data provided by Zacks Investment Research)
|Quarter||Number of Estimates||Low Estimate||High Estimate||Average Estimate|
Dividend History for Unit Corporation (NYSE:UNT)
No dividend announcements for this company have been tracked by MarketBeat.com
Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History for Unit Corporation (NYSE:UNT)
Insider Ownership Percentage: 3.28%Insider Trades by Quarter for Unit Corporation (NYSE:UNT)
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 92.57%
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Details|
|3/1/2016||John G Nikkel||Director||Buy||2,000||$5.72||$11,440.00|| |
|1/22/2016||John G Nikkel||Director||Buy||2,000||$8.62||$17,240.00|| |
|9/11/2015||Larry C Payne||Director||Buy||2,000||$11.31||$22,620.00|| |
|8/18/2015||G Bailey Iv Peyton||Director||Buy||6,000||$14.99||$89,940.00|| |
|8/17/2015||Gary R Christopher||Director||Buy||10,000||$15.21||$152,100.00|| |
|7/21/2015||G Bailey Iv Peyton||Director||Buy||3,000||$22.50||$67,500.00|| |
|6/19/2015||Larry D Pinkston||CEO||Buy||3,500||$28.84||$100,940.00|| |
|6/18/2015||G Bailey Iv Peyton||Director||Buy||3,000||$29.00||$87,000.00|| |
|4/20/2015||Mark E Schell||General Counsel||Sell||5,500||$31.15||$171,325.00|| |
|3/26/2015||Robert Parks||Insider||Sell||10,590||$27.61||$292,389.90|| |
|12/17/2014||John G Nikkel||Director||Buy||11,000||$33.16||$364,760.00|| |
|12/2/2014||G Bailey Iv Peyton||Director||Buy||3,000||$37.00||$111,000.00|| |
|4/8/2014||Robert Parks||Insider||Sell||6,931||$63.65||$441,158.15|| |
|4/2/2014||John Nikkel||Director||Sell||10,150||$65.36||$663,404.00|| |
|3/21/2014||King Kirchner||Director||Sell||7,000||$63.23||$442,610.00|| |
|3/6/2014||J Michael Adcock||Director||Sell||7,000||$61.02||$427,140.00|| |
|2/28/2014||William Morgan||Director||Sell||3,500||$61.30||$214,550.00|| |
|12/19/2013||John Cromling||EVP||Sell||9,176||$50.45||$462,929.20|| |
|10/11/2013||Mark Schell||General Counsel||Sell||3,919||$48.28||$189,209.32|| |
|5/17/2013||Mark E Schell||General Counsel||Sell||4,500||$46.50||$209,250.00|| |
|11/15/2012||John G Nikkel||Director||Sell||6,874||$40.55||$278,740.70|| |
Headline Trends for Unit Corporation (NYSE:UNT)
Latest Headlines for Unit Corporation (NYSE:UNT)
Loading headlines, please wait.
Unit Corporation (UNT) Chart for Sunday, October, 22, 2017