About AMC Networks (NASDAQ:AMCX)
AMC Networks Inc. is a holding company, which conducts all of its operations through its subsidiaries. The Company owns and operates entertainment businesses and assets. It operates through two segments: National Networks, and International and Other. National Networks includes activities of its programming businesses, which include its programming networks distributed in the United States and Canada. The International and Other segment includes AMC Networks International (AMCNI), the Company's international programming businesses consisting of a portfolio of channels in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and parts of Asia and Africa; IFC Films, the Company's independent film distribution business; AMCNI- DMC, the broadcast solutions unit of certain networks of AMCNI and third-party networks, and various developing online content distribution initiatives. National Networks' programming networks include AMC, WE tv, BBC AMERICA and SundanceTV.
Industry, Sector and Symbol
Industry Television Broadcasting
Sub-IndustryCable & Satellite
Trailing P/E Ratio7.24
Forward P/E Ratio7.12
Sales & Book Value
Annual Sales$2.76 billion
Price / Sales1.12
Cash Flow$20.04 per share
Price / Cash2.49
Book Value$1.35 per share
Price / Book36.96
Net Income$270.51 million
Return on Equity948.45%
Return on Assets10.28%
Frequently Asked Questions for AMC Networks (NASDAQ:AMCX)
What is AMC Networks' stock symbol?
AMC Networks trades on the NASDAQ under the ticker symbol "AMCX."
How will AMC Networks' stock buyback program work?
AMC Networks declared that its board has initiated a share buyback program on Thursday, June 8th 2017, which permits the company to repurchase $500,000,000.00 in outstanding shares, according to EventVestor. This repurchase authorization permits the company to purchase up to 13.9% of its stock through open market purchases. Stock repurchase programs are often an indication that the company's board of directors believes its stock is undervalued.
How were AMC Networks' earnings last quarter?
AMC Networks Inc. (NASDAQ:AMCX) announced its earnings results on Thursday, November, 2nd. The company reported $1.68 EPS for the quarter, beating the consensus estimate of $1.15 by $0.53. The business had revenue of $648 million for the quarter, compared to analysts' expectations of $660.79 million. AMC Networks had a return on equity of 948.45% and a net margin of 12.12%. AMC Networks's revenue for the quarter was up 2.1% compared to the same quarter last year. During the same quarter last year, the firm posted $1.11 EPS. View AMC Networks' Earnings History.
When will AMC Networks make its next earnings announcement?
Where is AMC Networks' stock going? Where will AMC Networks' stock price be in 2017?
13 equities research analysts have issued 12 month price targets for AMC Networks' shares. Their forecasts range from $48.00 to $72.00. On average, they anticipate AMC Networks' stock price to reach $60.36 in the next twelve months. View Analyst Ratings for AMC Networks.
What are Wall Street analysts saying about AMC Networks stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about AMC Networks stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "AMC Networks Inc. is engaged in producing programming and movie content. It owns and operates various cable televisions. Its programming networks include AMC, IFC, Sundance Channel, WE tv, and IFC films. The AMC is a television network which focuses on the original programming and movie-based entertainment. IFC creates long and short-form content inspired by music, web, gaming, animation, news, and culture. The Sundance Channel is the television destination for independent-minded viewers. The WE tv is the women's network specially devoted to the relationships during life's defining moments. The IFC films consist of multiple brands that bring specialty films to the largest possible audience. AMC Networks Inc. is headquartered in New York, New York. " (7/14/2017)
- 2. Guggenheim analysts commented, "Several press outlets reported that AMC Networks is planning an ad-free online streaming service that will be exclusively available to authenticated pay-TV subscribers. To date, the company has not confirmed the reports, though we consider the product launch to be likely. The service, which according to the press articles is expected to price between $4.99 and $6.99 monthly, would likely provide enhancements to the traditional linear offering including exclusive full in-season ondemand program availability, additional program content beyond what is possible on ad-supported linear TV, and the elimination of commercial interruptions. For comparison, we estimate that AMCX currently earns an average of $0.83 per subscriber per month in its traditional distribution arrangements... We are maintaining our BUY rating and our $70 price target, which is based on 11x our 2017 EPS estimate of $6.25 (up from our prior $6.24). Our target multiple is a 40% discount to the S&P 500 and a 33% discount to large-cap media peers, which reflects our expectation of ongoing concern around the maturity of The Walking Dead franchise. We continue to believe that the market value under-appreciates the company's ability to develop and monetize compelling programming, supporting our BUY rating." (3/28/2017)
- 3. Instinet analysts commented, "AMCX reported 4Q earnings of $1.30, above Street estimates, and we believe the 2017 outlook could reassure investors, particularly given expectations for modest YoY affiliate growth acceleration... We came away from the earnings call encouraged by AMCX's content pipeline, its financial, outlook and its strengthening balance sheet. We increase our 2017 EPS estimates to $5.98 from $5.95, given commentary around ad trends, affiliate trajectory and margins." (2/24/2017)
- 4. Stifel Nicolaus analysts commented, "Following the 4Q16 earnings call, we are upgrading AMC Networks from a Hold to a Buy and establishing a target price of $70. The upgrade comes after better than expected advertising in the quarter despite materially down Walking Dead ratings indicating considerable ad monetization outside of that window and the continued attractiveness of the show in a fragmented market. We raise our estimates and view guidance as conservative. We are Buy rated." (2/24/2017)
- 5. Jefferies Group LLC analysts commented, "Comments made by AMCX management earlier today indicate that 4Q domestic advertising growth is trending below expectations largely due to weaker ratings. We are lowering our 4Q ad growth estimate to +1% (from +6%), resulting in full year growth of 4% (in line with mgmt commentary). Erosion of ratings for returning shows across the broader TV universe remain an issue. Ratings Delivery Impacting Ad Growth. Management highlighted that the company now expects ad growth of 4% for 2016, down from the original expectation of +5.5%. This implies ad growth in the 4th quarter of ~1%, below the original 4Q guide of +6%." (12/7/2016)
Who are some of AMC Networks' key competitors?
Some companies that are related to AMC Networks include Under Armour (UAA), International Game Technology (IGT), Hugo Boss (BOSSY), Six Flags Entertainment Corporation New (SIX), H&R Block (HRB), Bright Horizons Family Solutions (BFAM), Under Armour (UA), Merlin Entmnts (MERLY), Columbia Sportswear Company (COLM), Choice Hotels International (CHH), Grand Canyon Education (LOPE), SJM Holdings (SJMHF), Ceconomy Ag (MTTRY), Mediaset SpA (MDIUY), Cinemark Holdings (CNK), Cable One (CABO), Cedar Fair, L.P. (FUN) and Man Wah Holdings Limited (MAWHY).
Who are AMC Networks' key executives?
AMC Networks' management team includes the folowing people:
- Charles F. Dolan, Executive Chairman of the Board (Age 91)
- Joshua W. Sapan, President, Chief Executive Officer (Age 66)
- Sean S. Sullivan, Chief Financial Officer, Executive Vice President (Age 50)
- Edward A. Carroll, Chief Operating Officer (Age 53)
- Christian B. Wymbs, Executive Vice President, Chief Accounting Officer (Age 47)
- James G. Gallagher, Executive Vice President, General Counsel (Age 58)
- William J. Bell, Director (Age 77)
- James L. Dolan, Director (Age 62)
- Kristin A. Dolan, Director (Age 51)
- Patrick F. Dolan, Director (Age 65)
Who owns AMC Networks stock?
AMC Networks' stock is owned by a number of of institutional and retail investors. Top institutional investors include Thompson Siegel & Walmsley LLC (3.36%), Investec Asset Management LTD (2.91%), Jennison Associates LLC (1.82%), Gamco Investors INC. ET AL (1.74%), Pinnacle Associates Ltd. (1.27%) and Bank of New York Mellon Corp (1.23%). Company insiders that own AMC Networks stock include James Gallagher and James Lawrence Dolan. View Institutional Ownership Trends for AMC Networks.
Who sold AMC Networks stock? Who is selling AMC Networks stock?
AMC Networks' stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Jennison Associates LLC, Los Angeles Capital Management & Equity Research Inc., Ameriprise Financial Inc., Kornitzer Capital Management Inc. KS, Retirement Systems of Alabama, JPMorgan Chase & Co., Stevens Capital Management LP and Dupont Capital Management Corp. View Insider Buying and Selling for AMC Networks.
Who bought AMC Networks stock? Who is buying AMC Networks stock?
AMC Networks' stock was purchased by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Investec Asset Management LTD, American Century Companies Inc., APG Asset Management N.V., Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, Schroder Investment Management Group, DekaBank Deutsche Girozentrale, Bank of New York Mellon Corp and Convergence Investment Partners LLC. View Insider Buying and Selling for AMC Networks.
How do I buy AMC Networks stock?
Shares of AMC Networks can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages with access to the U.S. stock market include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is AMC Networks' stock price today?
One share of AMC Networks stock can currently be purchased for approximately $49.89.
How big of a company is AMC Networks?
AMC Networks has a market capitalization of $3.12 billion and generates $2.76 billion in revenue each year. The company earns $270.51 million in net income (profit) each year or $5.07 on an earnings per share basis. AMC Networks employs 2,343 workers across the globe.
How can I contact AMC Networks?
AMC Networks' mailing address is 11 PENN PLAZA, NEW YORK NY, 10001. The company can be reached via phone at 212-324-8500 or via email at [email protected]
MarketBeat Community Rating for AMC Networks (AMCX)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about AMC Networks and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe the stock will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe the stock will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.
Earnings History and Estimates Chart for AMC Networks (NASDAQ:AMCX)
Earnings History by Quarter for AMC Networks (NASDAQ AMCX)
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|11/2/2017||Q3 2017||$1.15||$1.68||$660.79 million||$648.00 million||View||N/A|
|8/3/2017||Q2 2017||$1.41||$1.88||$715.23 million||$710.55 million||View||Listen|
|5/4/2017||Q1 2017||$2.00||$2.10||$720.15 million||$720.19 million||View||Listen|
|2/23/2017||Q416||$1.26||$1.30||$709.83 million||$729.60 million||View||N/A|
|11/3/2016||Q316||$1.02||$1.01||$660.58 million||$634.60 million||View||N/A|
|8/4/2016||Q216||$1.28||$1.28||$676.87 million||$685.00 million||View||Listen|
|5/5/2016||Q116||$1.79||$1.99||$695.47 million||$707.00 million||View||N/A|
|2/25/2016||Q415||$1.18||$1.31||$675.02 million||$678.95 million||View||Listen|
|11/5/2015||Q315||$0.87||$1.09||$604.81 million||$605.05 million||View||N/A|
|8/6/2015||Q215||$0.97||$1.23||$592.97 million||$601.00 million||View||N/A|
|5/4/2015||Q115||$1.48||$1.66||$655.66 million||$668.68 million||View||N/A|
|2/26/2015||Q414||$1.03||$1.15||$602.42 million||$609.44 million||View||N/A|
|11/6/2014||Q314||$0.75||$0.74||$511.06 million||$519.60 million||View||Listen|
|8/7/2014||Q214||$0.87||$0.90||$514.30 million||$522.10 million||View||N/A|
|5/8/2014||Q114||$1.16||$1.04||$507.53 million||$525.00 million||View||Listen|
|2/27/2014||Q4||$0.77||$0.49||$418.90 million||$435.00 million||View||Listen|
|11/7/2013||Q313||$0.85||$0.81||$393.40 million||$395.30 million||View||N/A|
|8/8/2013||Q2 2013||$0.78||$1.87||$368.08 million||$379.30 million||View||N/A|
|5/9/2013||Q1 2013||$0.80||$0.85||$365.98 million||$382.00 million||View||N/A|
|2/26/2013||Q4 2012||$0.63||$0.21||$370.03 million||$367.70 million||View||N/A|
|11/8/2012||Q312||$0.36||$0.51||$292.08 million||$332.10 million||View||N/A|
Earnings Estimates for AMC Networks (NASDAQ:AMCX)
2017 EPS Consensus Estimate: $6.21
2018 EPS Consensus Estimate: $6.97
(Data provided by Zacks Investment Research)
|Quarter||Number of Estimates||Low Estimate||High Estimate||Average Estimate|
Dividend History for AMC Networks (NASDAQ:AMCX)
No dividend announcements for this company have been tracked by MarketBeat.com
Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History for AMC Networks (NASDAQ AMCX)
Insider Ownership Percentage: 17.67%
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 85.68%
Insider Trades by Quarter for AMC Networks (NASDAQ AMCX)
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Details|
|3/20/2017||James Gallagher||EVP||Sell||4,000||$58.75||$235,000.00|| |
|3/8/2016||James Lawrence Dolan||Insider||Sell||65,000||$66.89||$4,347,850.00|| |
|11/11/2015||Marianne Dolan Weber||insider||Sell||1,000||$78.28||$78,280.00|| |
|5/22/2015||James Gallagher||EVP||Sell||1,000||$77.49||$77,490.00|| |
|5/6/2015||Edward A Carroll||COO||Sell||8,250||$79.20||$653,400.00|| |
|3/26/2015||Brian Sweeney||Director||Sell||1,875||$73.59||$137,981.25|| |
|3/17/2015||John P Giraldo||CAO||Sell||3,976||$72.18||$286,987.68|| |
|5/28/2014||Patrick Francis Dolan||Insider||Sell||2,886||$61.55||$177,633.30|| |
|3/11/2014||James Gallagher||EVP||Sell||3,000||$76.46||$229,380.00|| |
|8/16/2013||Edward Carroll||COO||Sell||7,170||$65.01||$466,121.70|| |
|8/14/2013||William Bell||Director||Sell||5,000||$67.38||$336,900.00|| |
|6/17/2013||Patrick Francis Dolan||Insider||Sell||300,000||$62.50||$18,750,000.00|| |
|5/29/2013||Joshua W Sapan||CEO||Sell||93,950||$66.95||$6,289,952.50|| |
|10/2/2012||Luxor Capital Group, Lp||Major Shareholder||Sell||875,000||$42.75||$37,406,250.00|| |
Latest Headlines for AMC Networks (NASDAQ AMCX)
|Examining The Walking Dead's 'Traitor Father Gabriel' Theory|
finance.yahoo.com - November 19 at 3:44 PM
|Head-To-Head Review: AMC Networks (AMCX) versus Its Competitors|
www.americanbankingnews.com - November 17 at 1:24 AM
|AMC Networks Inc. (AMCX) Rating Lowered to C at TheStreet|
www.americanbankingnews.com - November 16 at 9:00 AM
|'The Walking Dead' Just Had Its 'Hold The Door' Moment With Its Latest Death|
finance.yahoo.com - November 14 at 2:40 AM
| Analysts Expect AMC Networks Inc. (AMCX) Will Announce Quarterly Sales of $731.10 Million|
www.americanbankingnews.com - November 12 at 12:00 PM
|Prepare to watch your favorite TV shows and movies for another 50 years|
finance.yahoo.com - November 7 at 5:33 PM
|AMC Networks, Inc. :AMCX-US: Earnings Analysis: Q3, 2017 By the Numbers : November 6, 2017|
finance.yahoo.com - November 6 at 9:59 PM
|AMC Networks Inc. (AMCX) Given Average Recommendation of "Hold" by Brokerages|
www.americanbankingnews.com - November 6 at 1:50 PM
|Analysts Set Expectations for AMC Networks Inc.'s FY2017 Earnings (AMCX)|
www.americanbankingnews.com - November 6 at 8:06 AM
|AMC Networks Inc. Expected to Post FY2017 Earnings of $7.20 Per Share (AMCX)|
www.americanbankingnews.com - November 6 at 8:06 AM
|AMC Networks Inc. (AMCX) Price Target Cut to $55.00 by Analysts at Jefferies Group LLC|
www.americanbankingnews.com - November 5 at 12:14 PM
|AMC Networks Inc. (AMCX) Given New $55.00 Price Target at Loop Capital|
www.americanbankingnews.com - November 5 at 12:14 PM
|AMC Believes 'The Walking Dead' Could Run For '30, 40, 50' Years|
finance.yahoo.com - November 3 at 3:50 PM
|Edited Transcript of AMCX earnings conference call or presentation 2-Nov-17 3:00pm GMT|
finance.yahoo.com - November 3 at 9:32 AM
|AMC Networks Enters Oversold Territory (AMCX)|
www.nasdaq.com - November 2 at 9:18 PM
|AMC Networks, Inc. Posts Solid Ad Sales, Big Buybacks|
www.fool.com - November 2 at 9:16 PM
|AMC Networks (AMCX) Q3 2017 Results - Earnings Call Transcript|
seekingalpha.com - November 2 at 4:16 PM
|AMC Networks Inc. (AMCX) Issues Earnings Results|
www.americanbankingnews.com - November 2 at 3:07 PM
|AMC Networks -4.3% with profits overshadowed by revenue miss|
seekingalpha.com - November 2 at 1:19 PM
|Simply Put, 'The Walking Dead' Needs To Focus On Being Less Stupid|
finance.yahoo.com - October 29 at 3:37 PM
|What's in the Cards for Sturm, Ruger (RGR) in Q3 Earnings?|
finance.yahoo.com - October 27 at 5:58 PM
|AMC Networks Inc. (AMCX) Set to Announce Earnings on Thursday|
www.americanbankingnews.com - October 26 at 2:42 AM
|Zacks: Analysts Anticipate AMC Networks Inc. (AMCX) Will Post Quarterly Sales of $656.30 Million|
www.americanbankingnews.com - October 23 at 4:48 AM
|A scary box office weekend for everyone but Tyler Perry|
marketbeat.com - October 22 at 1:58 PM
| Analysts Expect AMC Networks Inc. (AMCX) Will Post Earnings of $1.17 Per Share|
www.americanbankingnews.com - October 21 at 6:06 PM
|How Will The Walking Dead's Comic Deviations Play Into Season 8's Negan War?|
finance.yahoo.com - October 21 at 3:37 PM
|AMC Networks Inc. (AMCX) Given New $60.00 Price Target at Loop Capital|
www.americanbankingnews.com - October 19 at 10:58 PM
|AMC Networks to Report Third Quarter 2017 Results|
feeds.benzinga.com - October 18 at 8:55 AM
|Colony Capital injects cash, in talks to buy Weinstein Co|
www.reuters.com - October 16 at 4:40 PM
|'Happy Death Day' scares off 'Blade Runner' at box office|
finance.yahoo.com - October 16 at 1:40 AM
|'Happy Death Day' scares off 'Blade Runner' at box office|
finance.yahoo.com - October 15 at 3:37 PM
|AMC Networks Inc. (AMCX) Downgraded by Guggenheim|
www.americanbankingnews.com - October 15 at 8:30 AM
|AMC Networks Inc (AMCX) Given Average Recommendation of "Hold" by Analysts|
www.americanbankingnews.com - October 12 at 3:16 PM
|Brokers Set Expectations for AMC Networks Inc's Q3 2017 Earnings (AMCX)|
www.americanbankingnews.com - October 12 at 8:32 AM
|Research Analysts Issue Forecasts for AMC Networks Inc.'s FY2017 Earnings (AMCX)|
www.americanbankingnews.com - October 11 at 8:32 AM
| Analysts Expect AMC Networks Inc. (AMCX) Will Post Quarterly Sales of $653.56 Million|
www.americanbankingnews.com - October 4 at 1:46 AM
|This 'Walking Dead' Poster Shows Why I Like 'Fear the Walking Dead' More|
finance.yahoo.com - September 24 at 3:36 PM
|AMC Networks Inc. (AMCX) Earns "Hold" Rating from Cowen and Company|
www.americanbankingnews.com - September 21 at 4:28 PM
|AMC Networks nabs David Madden to head programming|
finance.yahoo.com - September 18 at 1:41 AM
|AMC Networks' (AMCX) "Market Perform" Rating Reiterated at Sanford C. Bernstein|
www.americanbankingnews.com - September 17 at 9:34 PM
|'Fear The Walking Dead' Ratings Are Hitting Series Lows In Season 3|
finance.yahoo.com - September 17 at 3:37 PM
|Box Office Top 20: 'It' devours competition with $123.4M|
marketbeat.com - September 11 at 7:37 PM
|'It' floats away with record-breaking $117.2 million weekend|
finance.yahoo.com - September 10 at 3:36 PM
|A slow Labor Day caps a down summer at the box office|
finance.yahoo.com - September 3 at 3:35 PM
|Fox taps new president of entertainment for broadcasting network|
www.marketwatch.com - August 30 at 4:48 PM
|[$$] Fox Broadcasting Names New President of Entertainment|
finance.yahoo.com - August 30 at 4:48 PM
|CBS Corp. (CBS) Inks a Deal to Buy Australia's Network Ten|
www.zacks.com - August 28 at 3:53 PM
|$653.56 Million in Sales Expected for AMC Networks Inc. (AMCX) This Quarter|
www.americanbankingnews.com - August 28 at 2:56 AM
|AMC Networks Inc (AMCX) Given Average Rating of "Hold" by Analysts|
www.americanbankingnews.com - August 23 at 2:58 PM
|ETFs with exposure to AMC Networks, Inc. : August 21, 2017|
finance.yahoo.com - August 22 at 9:39 PM
AMC Networks (NASDAQ AMCX) Chart for Saturday, November, 25, 2017