About Popular (NASDAQ:BPOP)
Popular, Inc., through its subsidiaries, provides various retail, mortgage, and commercial banking products and services primarily to institutional and retail customers. The company accepts various deposit products. It also offers commercial and industrial loans; commercial real estate loans; residential mortgage loans; consumer loans, including personal loans, credit cards, home equity lines of credit, and other loans to individual borrowers; construction loans; and lease financing comprising automobile loans/leases. In addition, the company provides financial advisory, investment banking, investment and securities brokerage, and insurance and reinsurance services. As of December 31, 2017, it owned and occupied approximately 67 branch premises and other facilities in Puerto Rico; and 62 offices comprising 6 owned and 56 leased in New York, New Jersey, and Florida. Popular, Inc. was founded in 1893 and is headquartered in Hato Rey, Puerto Rico.
Industry, Sector and Symbol
Industry State commercial banks
Trailing P/E Ratio17.32
Forward P/E Ratio10.80
Sales & Book Value
Annual Sales$2.15 billion
Price / Sales2.21
Cash Flow$3.0526 per share
Price / Cash15.21
Book Value$49.51 per share
Price / Book0.94
EPS (Most Recent Fiscal Year)$2.68
Net Income$107.68 million
Return on Equity5.29%
Return on Assets0.62%
Popular (NASDAQ:BPOP) Frequently Asked Questions
What is Popular's stock symbol?
Popular trades on the NASDAQ under the ticker symbol "BPOP."
How often does Popular pay dividends? What is the dividend yield for Popular?
Popular declared a quarterly dividend on Wednesday, May 9th. Investors of record on Tuesday, May 29th will be given a dividend of $0.25 per share on Monday, July 2nd. This represents a $1.00 annualized dividend and a yield of 2.15%. The ex-dividend date is Friday, May 25th. View Popular's Dividend History.
How will Popular's stock buyback program work?
Popular announced that its board has authorized a stock repurchase program on Friday, April 7th 2017, which authorizes the company to buyback $75,000,000.00 in shares, according to EventVestor. This buyback authorization authorizes the company to purchase up to 1.6% of its shares through open market purchases. Shares buyback programs are often a sign that the company's board believes its shares are undervalued.
How were Popular's earnings last quarter?
Popular Inc (NASDAQ:BPOP) posted its quarterly earnings data on Tuesday, April, 24th. The bank reported $0.89 earnings per share (EPS) for the quarter, beating the Zacks' consensus estimate of $0.76 by $0.13. The bank earned $506.54 million during the quarter, compared to analyst estimates of $497.70 million. Popular had a return on equity of 5.29% and a net margin of 4.74%. During the same period last year, the company earned $0.89 earnings per share. View Popular's Earnings History.
When is Popular's next earnings date?
What price target have analysts set for BPOP?
9 Wall Street analysts have issued 1 year target prices for Popular's shares. Their predictions range from $46.00 to $51.00. On average, they expect Popular's share price to reach $49.5625 in the next year. View Analyst Ratings for Popular.
What are Wall Street analysts saying about Popular stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Popular stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Popular, Inc. is a diversified, publicly owned bank holding company. The corporation's principal subsidiary, Banco Popular de Puerto Rico, has one of the largest retail franchise in Puerto Rico, operating numerous branches and automated teller machines. The Bank also operates branches in the U.S. Virgin Islands, the British Virgin Islands, and New York. " (5/2/2018)
- 2. BTIG Research analysts commented, "in Focus as BPOP Prepares to Release 1Q18 Report The commentary offered by Popular Inc. (BPOP) management regarding credit quality in the company’s 4Q17 report on January 23 was surprisingly encouraging to many observers in light of the severity of the physical and economic damage inflicted on its home market of Puerto Rico by Hurricane Maria just over four months earlier. In particular, management noted that early delinquency data for auto, credit card and personal loans for the first few weeks of January 2018 had been similar to or better than that from the same period in the prior year. That disclosure helped to sustain a relief rally in BPOP shares that had begun after the stock hit its post-Maria low tick on October 23. Since then, the stock has rallied by more than 35% such that it is now trading slightly above the company’s book value per share as of YE17. With BPOP scheduled to report its 1Q18 results on Tuesday, April 24, we believe additional appreciation in the stock will depend on what the company discloses regarding the credit performance of its mortgage book during the months that followed the expiration in December of a moratorium on payment collection." (4/18/2018)
Who are some of Popular's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Popular include SVB Financial Group (SIVB), East West Bancorp (EWBC), Commerce Bancshares (CBSH), Signature Bank (SBNY), Western Alliance Bancorporation (WAL), Bank Of The Ozarks (OZRK), Wintrust Financial (WTFC), First Citizens BancShares Inc. Class A (FCNCA), Prosperity Bancshares (PB), Texas Capital Bancshares (TCBI), Associated Banc (ASB), Iberiabank (IBKC), Hancock (HBHC), Chemical Financial (CHFC) and First Hawaiian Bank (FHB).
Who are Popular's key executives?
Popular's management team includes the folowing people:
- Mr. Richard L. Carrión, Exec. Chairman (Age 66)
- Mr. Ignacio Alvarez Esq., Pres, CEO & Director (Age 60)
- Mr. Carlos J. Vázquez, Exec. VP & CFO (Age 59)
- Mr. Javier D. Ferrer-Fernández J.D., Exec. VP, Chief Legal Officer and Corp. Sec.-Gen. Counsel & Corp. Matters group (Age 57)
- Mr. Lidio V. Soriano CPA, Exec. VP & Chief Risk Officer of Corp. Risk Management Group (Age 49)
Has Popular been receiving favorable news coverage?
News headlines about BPOP stock have been trending somewhat positive on Sunday, according to Accern Sentiment Analysis. The research group identifies negative and positive press coverage by monitoring more than twenty million news and blog sources in real time. Accern ranks coverage of publicly-traded companies on a scale of -1 to 1, with scores closest to one being the most favorable. Popular earned a media sentiment score of 0.20 on Accern's scale. They also gave news coverage about the bank an impact score of 45.05 out of 100, indicating that recent press coverage is somewhat unlikely to have an effect on the company's share price in the near future.
Who are Popular's major shareholders?
Popular's stock is owned by many different of institutional and retail investors. Top institutional shareholders include BlackRock Inc. (4.75%), Polaris Capital Management LLC (4.50%), Dimensional Fund Advisors LP (4.42%), Diamond Hill Capital Management Inc. (3.77%), Frontier Capital Management Co. LLC (2.59%) and Russell Investments Group Ltd. (1.81%). Company insiders that own Popular stock include Alejandro M Ballester, Carlos J Vazquez, Eduardo J Negron, Eli Sepulveda, Ignacio Alvarez, Ileana Gonzalez, Jorge J Garcia, Juan Guerrero, O Rivera Nestor and Richard L Carrion. View Institutional Ownership Trends for Popular.
Which major investors are selling Popular stock?
BPOP stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Diamond Hill Capital Management Inc., UBS Group AG, JPMorgan Chase & Co., American Century Companies Inc., Loomis Sayles & Co. L P, Guggenheim Capital LLC, BlackRock Inc. and BNP Paribas Arbitrage SA. View Insider Buying and Selling for Popular.
Which major investors are buying Popular stock?
BPOP stock was bought by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Polaris Capital Management LLC, Russell Investments Group Ltd., Prudential Financial Inc., Highbridge Capital Management LLC, Monarch Partners Asset Management LLC, Great Lakes Advisors LLC, Dimensional Fund Advisors LP and Susquehanna Fundamental Investments LLC. View Insider Buying and Selling for Popular.
How do I buy shares of Popular?
Shares of BPOP can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages with access to the U.S. stock market include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is Popular's stock price today?
One share of BPOP stock can currently be purchased for approximately $46.43.
How big of a company is Popular?
Popular has a market capitalization of $4.75 billion and generates $2.15 billion in revenue each year. The bank earns $107.68 million in net income (profit) each year or $2.68 on an earnings per share basis. Popular employs 7,784 workers across the globe.
How can I contact Popular?
Popular's mailing address is 209 Munoz Rivera Avenue Popular Center Building, HATO REY PR, 00936. The bank can be reached via phone at 787-765-9800 or via email at [email protected]
MarketBeat Community Rating for Popular (BPOP)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about Popular and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe BPOP will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe BPOP will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.