About Semtech (NASDAQ:SMTC)
Semtech Corporation designs, develops, manufactures, and markets analog and mixed-signal semiconductor products and advanced algorithms. The company provides signal integrity products, including a portfolio of optical data communications and video transport products used in various enterprise computing, industrial, communications, and high-end consumer applications; and a portfolio of integrated circuits for data centers, enterprise networks, passive optical networks, wireless base station optical transceivers, and high-speed interface applications. It also offers protection products, such as filter and termination devices that are integrated with the transient voltage suppressor devices, which protect electronic systems from voltage spikes; and wireless and sensing products comprising a portfolio of specialized radio frequency products used in various industrial, medical, and communications applications, as well as specialized sensing products used in industrial and consumer applications. In addition, the company provides power products consisting of switching voltage regulators, combination switching and linear regulators, smart regulators, isolated switches, and wireless charging that control, alter, regulate, and condition the power within electronic systems; and discrete semiconductor products, including rectifiers, assemblies, and other products for use in industrial, military, medical, and automotive applications, as well as aerospace and defense systems, such as satellite communications. It serves original equipment manufacturers and their suppliers in the enterprise computing, communications, and consumer and industrial end-markets. The company sells its products directly, as well as through independent sales representative firms and independent distributors in the United States, Europe, and Asia. Semtech Corporation was founded in 1960 and is headquartered in Camarillo, California.
Industry, Sector and Symbol
Industry Semiconductors & related devices
SectorComputer and Technology
Trailing P/E Ratio36.21
Forward P/E Ratio45.27
Sales & Book Value
Annual Sales$587.85 million
Price / Sales5.71
Cash Flow$2.1760 per share
Price / Cash23.30
Book Value$10.48 per share
Price / Book4.84
EPS (Most Recent Fiscal Year)$1.40
Net Income$36.42 million
Return on Equity12.05%
Return on Assets7.43%
Semtech (NASDAQ:SMTC) Frequently Asked Questions
What is Semtech's stock symbol?
Semtech trades on the NASDAQ under the ticker symbol "SMTC."
How were Semtech's earnings last quarter?
Semtech Co. (NASDAQ:SMTC) announced its quarterly earnings data on Wednesday, May, 30th. The semiconductor company reported $0.47 earnings per share for the quarter, beating the Zacks' consensus estimate of $0.46 by $0.01. The semiconductor company had revenue of $151.90 million for the quarter, compared to analysts' expectations of $150.33 million. Semtech had a return on equity of 12.05% and a net margin of 6.44%. Semtech's revenue for the quarter was up 1.9% compared to the same quarter last year. During the same period last year, the firm posted $0.44 EPS. View Semtech's Earnings History.
When is Semtech's next earnings date?
What guidance has Semtech issued on next quarter's earnings?
Semtech updated its second quarter earnings guidance on Wednesday, May, 30th. The company provided earnings per share guidance of $0.50-$0.58 for the period, compared to the Thomson Reuters consensus estimate of $0.53. The company issued revenue guidance of $155.0-$167.0 million, compared to the consensus revenue estimate of $160.32 million.
What price target have analysts set for SMTC?
9 brokers have issued 1 year price targets for Semtech's stock. Their forecasts range from $35.00 to $57.00. On average, they anticipate Semtech's share price to reach $47.00 in the next year. View Analyst Ratings for Semtech.
What are Wall Street analysts saying about Semtech stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Semtech stock:
- 1. Needham & Company LLC analysts commented, "We hosted investor meetings with Semtech’s CEO, Mohan Maheswaran, in New York and Boston this week. Our meetings focused on SMTC’s three main growth drivers-LoRa, Protection, and Data Center. The meetings also highlighted the positive surprise seen during F4Q18 in the PON business, which helped offset weakness in base station revenue. While management expects the base station market to remain weak through at least F1H19, the PON market continues to look stronger than originally anticipated in FY19. We came away incrementally more positive from these meetings as we believe the growth drivers remain on track and may provide upside to our estimates. We reiterate our Buy rating and $45 price target." (3/23/2018)
- 2. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Semtech is currently riding on differentiated growth drivers and diversification strategy. Key growth drivers for Semtech are product differentiation, operational flexibility and a specific focus on fast-growing segments and regions. The company’s fiscal third quarter 2018 earnings improved both sequentially and year over year. However, concerns about the company’s exposure to seasonality, a competitive market and foreign exchange risk persist. In the past one-year, the stock has underperformed the industry it belongs to." (1/30/2018)
- 3. B. Riley analysts commented, "We sense growing large customer engagements and expanding application potential are gaining momentum and the attention of hyper scale players. Mgmt has not backed off revenue growth goals for $40-50MM and $80-$100MM this year and next, and the view that if $100MM in sales are attained, growth to $1.0B in another five years is possible. We were pleasantly surprised with mgmt’s comfort such could occur, though note ongoing ecosystem development and use case momentum is needed to bridge both gaps for technology, which is patent protected by SMTC at end points and hubs." (10/5/2017)
Who are some of Semtech's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Semtech include IPG Photonics (IPGP), Marvell Technology Group (MRVL), ON Semiconductor (ON), Qorvo (QRVO), ASE INDL HLDG C/S (ASX), Microsemi (MSCC), UMC (UMC), Semiconductor Manufacturing Int'l (SMI), Cypress Semiconductor (CY), SUMCO Corp/ADR (SUOPY), Monolithic Power Systems (MPWR), Cavium (CAVM), Siliconware Precision Industries (SPIL), First Solar (FSLR) and Cree (CREE).
Who are Semtech's key executives?
Semtech's management team includes the folowing people:
- Mr. Mohan R. Maheswaran, Pres, CEO & Director (Age 54)
- Mr. Emeka N. Chukwu, Exec. VP & CFO (Age 55)
- Mr. Charles Butler Ammann, Exec. VP, Gen. Counsel & Sec. (Age 63)
- Mr. James J. Kim, Sr. VP of Worldwide Sales & Marketing (Age 61)
- Mr. Gary M. Beauchamp, Exec. VP & GM of Signal Integrity Product Group (Age 58)
Has Semtech been receiving favorable news coverage?
Press coverage about SMTC stock has trended somewhat positive recently, according to Accern Sentiment. Accern scores the sentiment of press coverage by reviewing more than 20 million blog and news sources. Accern ranks coverage of public companies on a scale of negative one to positive one, with scores closest to one being the most favorable. Semtech earned a media sentiment score of 0.15 on Accern's scale. They also assigned press coverage about the semiconductor company an impact score of 46.46 out of 100, indicating that recent press coverage is somewhat unlikely to have an impact on the company's share price in the near future.
Who are Semtech's major shareholders?
Semtech's stock is owned by a variety of of retail and institutional investors. Top institutional shareholders include BlackRock Inc. (13.00%), FMR LLC (8.01%), Frontier Capital Management Co. LLC (5.60%), Dimensional Fund Advisors LP (2.44%), Summit Trail Advisors LLC (1.87%) and Stephens Investment Management Group LLC (1.82%). Company insiders that own Semtech stock include Asaf Silberstein, Bruce C Edwards, Charles B Ammann, Emeka Chukwu, Gary Beauchamp, Glen M Antle, James Jungsup Kim, James P Burra, James T Lindstrom, John Michael Wilson, Marc Pegulu, Mark C Costello, Mohan Maheswaran, Rockell N Hankin, Sharon K Faltemier and Simon A Brown. View Institutional Ownership Trends for Semtech.
Which major investors are selling Semtech stock?
SMTC stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Loomis Sayles & Co. L P, OppenheimerFunds Inc., Cortina Asset Management LLC, Prudential Financial Inc., JPMorgan Chase & Co., Wells Fargo & Company MN, UBS Group AG and Fisher Asset Management LLC. Company insiders that have sold Semtech company stock in the last year include Asaf Silberstein, Charles B Ammann, Emeka Chukwu, Gary Beauchamp, Glen M Antle, James Jungsup Kim, James P Burra, James T Lindstrom, John Michael Wilson, Marc Pegulu, Mark C Costello, Mohan Maheswaran, Rockell N Hankin, Sharon K Faltemier and Simon A Brown. View Insider Buying and Selling for Semtech.
Which major investors are buying Semtech stock?
SMTC stock was purchased by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Frontier Capital Management Co. LLC, Summit Trail Advisors LLC, Palisade Capital Management LLC NJ, BlackRock Inc., Carillon Tower Advisers Inc., Highbridge Capital Management LLC, American Century Companies Inc. and Seven Eight Capital LP. View Insider Buying and Selling for Semtech.
How do I buy shares of Semtech?
Shares of SMTC can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages with access to the U.S. stock market include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is Semtech's stock price today?
One share of SMTC stock can currently be purchased for approximately $50.70.
How big of a company is Semtech?
Semtech has a market capitalization of $3.36 billion and generates $587.85 million in revenue each year. The semiconductor company earns $36.42 million in net income (profit) each year or $1.40 on an earnings per share basis. Semtech employs 1,282 workers across the globe.
How can I contact Semtech?
Semtech's mailing address is 200 FLYNN ROAD, CAMARILLO CA, 93012. The semiconductor company can be reached via phone at 805-498-2111 or via email at [email protected]
MarketBeat Community Rating for Semtech (SMTC)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about Semtech and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe SMTC will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe SMTC will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.