Unum Group, together with its subsidiaries, provides financial protection benefit solutions in the United States, the United Kingdom, and internationally. It operates through Unum US, Unum UK, Colonial Life, and Closed Block segments. The company offers group long-term and short-term disability, group life, and accidental death and dismemberment products; supplemental and voluntary products, such as individual disability, voluntary benefits, and dental and vision products; and accident, sickness, disability, life, and cancer and critical illness products. It also provides group pension, individual life and corporate-owned life insurance, reinsurance pools and management operations, and other products. The company sells its products primarily to employers for the benefit of employees. Unum Group sells its products through field sales personnel, independent brokers, and consultants, as well as independent contractor agency sales force. The company was founded in 1848 and is based in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
Industry, Sector and Symbol
Industry Accident & health insurance
Sub-IndustryLife & Health Insurance
Trailing P/E Ratio11.36
Forward P/E Ratio9.41
Sales & Book Value
Annual Sales$11.29 billion
Price / Sales0.96
Cash Flow$4.9272 per share
Price / Cash9.89
Book Value$42.67 per share
Price / Book1.14
EPS (Most Recent Fiscal Year)$4.29
Net Income$994.20 million
Return on Equity10.43%
Return on Assets1.54%
Unum (NYSE:UNM) Frequently Asked Questions
What is Unum's stock symbol?
Unum trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "UNM."
How often does Unum pay dividends? What is the dividend yield for Unum?
Unum announced a quarterly dividend on Monday, April 16th. Investors of record on Monday, April 30th will be given a dividend of $0.23 per share on Friday, May 18th. This represents a $0.92 annualized dividend and a yield of 1.89%. The ex-dividend date of this dividend is Friday, April 27th. View Unum's Dividend History.
How will Unum's stock buyback program work?
Unum declared that its Board of Directors has authorized a share buyback program on Sunday, June 4th 2017, which allows the company to repurchase $750,000,000.00 in outstanding shares, according to EventVestor. This repurchase authorization allows the company to repurchase up to 7.2% of its shares through open market purchases. Shares repurchase programs are usually a sign that the company's board of directors believes its stock is undervalued.
How were Unum's earnings last quarter?
Unum (NYSE:UNM) released its earnings results on Wednesday, January, 31st. The financial services provider reported $1.13 earnings per share for the quarter, topping the Zacks' consensus estimate of $1.08 by $0.05. The financial services provider earned $2.84 billion during the quarter, compared to analyst estimates of $2.84 billion. Unum had a return on equity of 10.43% and a net margin of 8.81%. Unum's revenue for the quarter was up 1.5% compared to the same quarter last year. During the same period in the previous year, the firm earned $0.99 earnings per share. View Unum's Earnings History.
When is Unum's next earnings date?
What price target have analysts set for UNM?
12 Wall Street analysts have issued twelve-month price objectives for Unum's shares. Their forecasts range from $48.00 to $62.00. On average, they expect Unum's share price to reach $56.0909 in the next year. View Analyst Ratings for Unum.
What are Wall Street analysts saying about Unum stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Unum stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Unum Group’s premiums continue to increase, fueled by solid persistency levels in core business lines and a sturdy volume of sales along with solid benefits experience. Acquisitions have provided an additional support. Starmount Life Insurance Company buyout gave access to growth opportunities in the dental market, which is in sync with its strategy to focus more on the employee benefits business. A sustained favorable performance drives solid capital generation and strong financial flexibility, aiding active capital deployment. It projects operating earnings to grow between 17% and 23% in 2018. However, exposure to low interest rate environment remains the key headwind affecting the Unum U.K. results. Shares of Unum Group have underperformed the industry in a year’s time. It is set to release first quarter results on May 1. A Zacks Rank #2 combined with Earnings ESP of +0.86% makes us reasonably confident of an earnings beat." (4/6/2018)
- 2. Wells Fargo analysts commented, "We are raising our 2018E EPS to $4.43 from $4.40 to reflect stronger earnings from Unum US in the near term. We are raising our price target to $56 from $53 per share, which is based on applying a 1.3x multiple on our forward 12-month BVPS estimate, ex. accumulated other comprehensive income. Potential impacts from tax reform come in three ways. From a GAAP perspective, tax reform would be highly beneficial to Unum with effectively tax rate going to under 20% (versus the company’s current rate of 31-32%) and a write-down of its deferred tax liability. On a cash basis, tax reform would still be positive but less favorable compared to GAAP due to timing differences in reserves and higher deferred acquisition costs (DAC) taxes being amortized over a longer period. From a capital perspective, UNM would have to write down its deferred tax asset (DTA) on a statutory (STAT) basis." (12/13/2017)
- 3. Goldman Sachs analysts commented, "We believe that MET should also see value uplift as the market better appreciates the stability in the remaining business following the last 12 months that were highlighted by balance sheet and earnings volatility related to the company's US retail separation," the firm said.See also: Jim Cramer Advises His Viewers On Metlife, Brighthouse Financial And B&G Foods Athene Holding: Best Positioned To Deploy CapitalGoldman believes Athene Holdings is best positioned to deploy capital, which could fuel growth in a variety of interest rate scenarios. The firm sees the company to be its top pick among the higher-beta names, as excess capital and debt could help earnings per share growth.The firm believes out of the $3.5 billion of combined debt and equity capacity, $750 million to $1.25 billion could be put to work in the near term. This, according to the firm, could lead to 7–13 percent earnings per share accretion, posing upside risk to its estimates, which assume deployment only through organic means.Lincoln PressuredThe firm sees earnings and capital pressure for Lincoln from universal life insurance. While noting that the company has maintained its earnings power in its life insurance business through the cost of insurance increases and reinsurance captures, the firm said it expects a slowdown in the cost of insurance increases following impending litigation and regulatory scrutiny from the New York Department of Financial Services.The firm said this could hurt earnings from the life insurance business. Additionally, the firm said it would pose some risk heading into the third quarter actuarial review as well as the goodwill review in the fourth quarter.Unum: Valuation Downside SeenGoldman sees downside to Unum's valuation, as it believes the closed block has negative value. Additionally, the firm said getting capital back out of the LTC business is less likely."Our roughly $800m negative value on the LTC business is reflective of the assumption that the cash drag continues for about 10 years, which we did not feel was overly punitive given the more than 20-year duration of the product," (10/18/2017)
Who are some of Unum's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Unum include The Blackstone Group (BX), Nomura (NMR), Willis Towers Watson (WLTW), Shinhan Financial Group (SHG), Regions Financial (RF), Citizens Financial Group (CFG), KeyCorp (KEY), Welltower (WELL), GGP (GGP), Boston Properties (BXP), Franklin Templeton Investments (BEN), Insurance Australia Group (IAG), The Hartford (HIG), Banorte (GBOOY), Credicorp (BAP), Ventas (VTR), Hannover Re (HVRRY) and Banco de Chile (BCH).
Who are Unum's key executives?
Unum's management team includes the folowing people:
- Mr. Richard Paul McKenney, Chief Exec. Officer, Pres & Director (Age 49)
- Mr. John Francis McGarry, Exec. VP & CFO (Age 60)
- Ms. Breege A. Farrell, Chief Investment Officer and Exec. VP (Age 58)
- Ms. Lisa Gonzalez Iglesias, Exec. VP and Gen. Counsel (Age 52)
- Mr. Michael Quinn Simonds, Exec. VP, Chief Exec. Officer of Unum US and Pres of Unum US (Age 44)
Has Unum been receiving favorable news coverage?
Media coverage about UNM stock has trended somewhat positive recently, according to Accern. Accern identifies negative and positive media coverage by reviewing more than 20 million news and blog sources in real time. Accern ranks coverage of publicly-traded companies on a scale of negative one to positive one, with scores closest to one being the most favorable. Unum earned a news impact score of 0.17 on Accern's scale. They also gave news articles about the financial services provider an impact score of 45.71 out of 100, indicating that recent media coverage is somewhat unlikely to have an effect on the company's share price in the next several days.
How do I buy shares of Unum?
Shares of UNM can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages with access to the U.S. stock market include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is Unum's stock price today?
One share of UNM stock can currently be purchased for approximately $48.73.
How big of a company is Unum?
Unum has a market capitalization of $10.52 billion and generates $11.29 billion in revenue each year. The financial services provider earns $994.20 million in net income (profit) each year or $4.29 on an earnings per share basis. Unum employs 9,400 workers across the globe.
How can I contact Unum?
Unum's mailing address is 1 FOUNTAIN SQUARE, CHATTANOOGA TN, 37402. The financial services provider can be reached via phone at 423-294-1011 or via email at [email protected]
MarketBeat Community Rating for Unum (UNM)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about Unum and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe UNM will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe UNM will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.
Unum (NYSE:UNM) Price Target and Consensus Rating (How are Consensus Ratings Calculated?)
MarketBeat calculates consensus analyst ratings for stocks using the most recent rating from each Wall Street analyst that has rated a stock within the last twelve months. Each analyst's rating is normalized to a standardized rating score of 1 (sell), 2 (hold), 3 (buy) or 4 (strong buy). Analyst consensus ratings scores are calculated using the mean average of the number of normalized sell, hold, buy and strong buy ratings from Wall Street analysts. Each stock's consensus analyst rating is derived from its calculated consensus ratings score (0-1.5 = Sell, 1.5-2.5 = Hold, 2.5-3.5 = Buy, >3.5 = Strong Buy). MarketBeat's consensus price targets are a mean average of the most recent available price targets set by each analyst that has set a price target for the stock in the last twelve months. MarketBeat's consensus ratings and consensus price targets may differ from those calculated by other firms due to differences in methodology and available data.
12 Wall Street analysts have issued ratings and price targets for Unum in the last 12 months. Their average twelve-month price target is $56.0909, suggesting that the stock has a possible upside of 15.11%. The high price target for UNM is $62.00 and the low price target for UNM is $48.00. There are currently 2 sell ratings, 7 hold ratings and 3 buy ratings for the stock, resulting in a consensus rating of "Hold."
|Today||30 Days Ago||90 Days Ago||180 Days Ago|
|Consensus Rating: ||Hold||Hold||Hold||Hold|
|Consensus Rating Score: ||2.08||2.18||2.00||2.00|
|Ratings Breakdown: ||2 Sell Rating(s)|
7 Hold Rating(s)
3 Buy Rating(s)
0 Strong Buy Rating(s)
|1 Sell Rating(s)|
7 Hold Rating(s)
3 Buy Rating(s)
0 Strong Buy Rating(s)
|2 Sell Rating(s)|
8 Hold Rating(s)
2 Buy Rating(s)
0 Strong Buy Rating(s)
|2 Sell Rating(s)|
6 Hold Rating(s)
2 Buy Rating(s)
0 Strong Buy Rating(s)
|Consensus Price Target: ||$56.0909||$56.50||$55.30||$50.2222|
|Price Target Upside: ||15.11% upside||14.58% upside||0.43% downside||3.42% downside|
Unum (NYSE:UNM) Consensus Price Target History
Unum (NYSE:UNM) Analyst Ratings History
(Data available from 4/20/2016 forward)
Unum (NYSE:UNM) Dividend Information
Unum pays an annual dividend of $0.92 per share, with a dividend yield of 1.89%. UNM's next quarterly dividend payment will be made on Friday, May 18. The company has grown its dividend for the last 9 consecutive years and is increasing its dividend by an average of 11.50% each year. Unum pays out 21.45% of its earnings out as a dividend.
|Dividend Growth:||11.50% (3 Year Average)|
|Payout Ratio:||21.45% (Trailing 12 Months of Earnings) |
17.76% (Based on This Year's Estimates)
16.61% (Based on Next Year's Estimates)
|Track Record:||9 Years of Consecutive Dividend Growth|
Unum (NYSE:UNM) Dividend History by Quarter
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Announced||Period||Amount||Yield||Ex-Dividend Date||Record Date||Payable Date|
Unum (NYSE UNM) Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History
Insider Ownership Percentage: 0.53%
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 92.96%
Unum (NYSE UNM) Insider Trading History
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Shares Held After Transaction||Details|
|3/1/2018||Christopher J. Jerome||EVP||Sell||7,806||$50.90||$397,325.40|| |
|2/26/2018||Daniel Jason Waxenberg||SVP||Sell||1,435||$52.36||$75,136.60|| |
|2/5/2018||Michael Q. Simonds||EVP||Sell||5,000||$52.09||$260,450.00|| |
|1/16/2018||John F. Mcgarry||CFO||Sell||4,588||$58.19||$266,975.72|| |
|12/14/2017||Lisa G. Iglesias||EVP||Sell||8,459||$54.83||$463,806.97|| |
|12/14/2017||Timothy Gerald Arnold||CEO||Sell||1,000||$55.07||$55,070.00|| |
|11/17/2017||Christopher J. Jerome||EVP||Sell||7,849||$53.24||$417,880.76|| |
|10/30/2017||E Michael Caulfield||Director||Sell||3,814||$52.42||$199,929.88|| |
|8/7/2017||Pamela H. Godwin||Director||Sell||2,500||$50.71||$126,775.00|| |
|8/1/2017||Gloria C. Larson||Director||Sell||2,460||$50.23||$123,565.80|| |
|6/23/2017||Breege A. Farrell||EVP||Sell||15,000||$45.47||$682,050.00|| |
|5/5/2017||Michael Q. Simonds||EVP||Sell||5,000||$46.61||$233,050.00|| |
|5/1/2017||Daniel Jason Waxenberg||CAO||Sell||260||$46.44||$12,074.40|| |
|3/13/2017||Timothy Gerald Arnold||EVP||Sell||2,000||$48.54||$97,080.00|| |
|2/6/2017||Pamela H. Godwin||Director||Sell||10,000||$46.86||$468,600.00|| |
|2/3/2017||Thomas R. Watjen||Director||Sell||25,000||$46.91||$1,172,750.00|| |
|11/14/2016||Christopher J. Jerome||EVP||Sell||8,000||$41.49||$331,920.00|| |
|11/14/2016||John F. Mcgarry||CFO||Sell||12,000||$41.44||$497,280.00|| |
|10/28/2016||Thomas R. Watjen||Director||Sell||178,927||$35.56||$6,362,644.12|| |
|8/1/2016||Thomas R. Watjen||Director||Sell||40,000||$33.24||$1,329,600.00|| |
|5/31/2016||Timothy Gerald Arnold||CEO||Sell||1,600||$36.99||$59,184.00||17,199|| |
|5/6/2016||A S Macmillan||Director||Sell||327||$33.49||$10,951.23||15,588|| |
|5/2/2016||Thomas R Watjen||Director||Sell||40,000||$34.16||$1,366,400.00||213,630|| |
|11/12/2015||E Michael Caulfield||Director||Sell||13,890||$36.14||$501,984.60||35,511|| |
|3/3/2015||Richard P Mckenney||CFO||Sell||15,000||$33.48||$502,200.00|| |
|2/25/2015||Thomas R Watjen||CEO||Sell||37,767||$33.87||$1,279,168.29|| |
|11/17/2014||Randall C Horn||CEO||Sell||12,000||$34.01||$408,120.00|| |
|11/7/2014||Thomas R Watjen||CEO||Sell||40,000||$33.19||$1,327,600.00|| |
|9/10/2014||Randall C Horn||CEO||Sell||12,000||$35.88||$430,560.00|| |
|8/18/2014||Ronald E Goldsberry||Director||Sell||5,702||$35.12||$200,254.24|| |
|8/6/2014||A S Macmillan||Director||Sell||1,090||$34.41||$37,506.90|| |
|8/6/2014||Thomas R Watjen||CEO||Sell||60,000||$34.35||$2,061,000.00|| |
|7/1/2014||John F Mcgarry||CEO||Sell||2,000||$34.83||$69,660.00|| |
|6/13/2014||Richard P Mckenney||CFO||Sell||15,000||$34.97||$524,550.00|| |
|6/10/2014||Pamela H Godwin||Director||Sell||3,000||$35.53||$106,590.00|| |
|6/3/2014||Randall C Horn||CEO||Sell||15,000||$34.47||$517,050.00|| |
|6/2/2014||Ronald E Goldsberry||Director||Sell||12,022||$34.05||$409,349.10|| |
|5/1/2014||John Mcgarry||CEO||Sell||2,000||$33.20||$66,400.00||58,582|| |
|2/26/2014||Kevin Mccarthy||COO||Sell||1,610||$34.00||$54,740.00||211,227|| |
|2/6/2014||Thomas Watjen||CEO||Sell||60,000||$32.25||$1,935,000.00||634,244|| |
|2/3/2014||John Mcgarry||CEO||Sell||2,000||$32.08||$64,160.00||57,269|| |
|12/10/2013||E. Liston Bishop III||EVP||Sell||4,679||$34.14||$159,741.06||80,930|| |
|12/10/2013||Kevin Mccarthy||COO||Sell||5,976||$34.14||$204,020.64||186,871|| |
|12/4/2013||E. Liston Bishop III||EVP||Sell||1,060||$34.00||$36,040.00||73,910|| |
|12/4/2013||Kevin Mccarthy||COO||Sell||3,880||$34.00||$131,920.00||178,511|| |
|11/26/2013||E. Liston Bishop III||EVP||Sell||7,598||$34.01||$258,407.98||73,910|| |
|11/26/2013||Kevin Mccarthy||COO||Sell||31,508||$34.01||$1,071,587.08||176,993|| |
|9/10/2013||Gloria C Larson||Director||Sell||11,000||$31.00||$341,000.00|| |
|8/9/2013||Thomas Kinser||Director||Sell||1,000||$30.33||$30,330.00||46,868|| |
|8/7/2013||Thomas Watjen||CEO||Sell||75,000||$30.53||$2,289,750.00||732,167|| |
|8/1/2013||Kevin Mccarthy||COO||Sell||22,854||$32.12||$734,070.48||175,365|| |
|7/5/2013||Kevin P Mccarthy||COO||Sell||12,000||$30.05||$360,600.00|| |
|6/24/2013||Kevin P Mccarthy||COO||Sell||12,000||$28.85||$346,200.00|| |
|5/30/2013||Ronald E Goldsberry||Director||Sell||5,937||$28.31||$168,076.47|| |
Unum (NYSE UNM) News Headlines
Unum (NYSE:UNM) SEC Filings
This page is loading this company's SEC Filings. Please wait...
Unum (NYSE:UNM) Income Statement, Balance Sheet and Cash Flow Statement
Unum (NYSE UNM) Stock Chart for Friday, April, 20, 2018