About Unum Group (NYSE:UNM)
Unum Group is a provider of financial protection benefits in the United States and the United Kingdom. The Company's products include disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental and vision, and other related services. Its segments include Unum US, Unum UK, Colonial Life, Closed Block and Corporate. Its Unum US segment includes group long-term and short-term disability insurance, group life and accidental death and dismemberment products, and supplemental and voluntary lines of business. Its Unum UK segment includes insurance for group long-term disability, group life, and supplemental lines of business, which include dental, individual disability and critical illness products. Its Colonial Life segment includes insurance for accident, sickness, and disability products, life products, and cancer and critical illness products issued primarily by Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Company and marketed to employees. Its Closed Block segment consists of other insurance products.
Industry, Sector and Symbol:
- Sector: Finance
- Industry: Life & Health Insurance
- Sub-Industry: Life & Health Insurance
- Symbol: NYSE:UNM
- CUSIP: 91529Y10
- Web: www.unum.com
- Market Cap: $11.80096 billion
- Outstanding Shares: 225,682,000
- 50 Day Moving Avg: $50.38
- 200 Day Moving Avg: $47.90
- 52 Week Range: $34.83 - $52.91
Sales & Book Value:
- Trailing P/E Ratio: 12.59
- Foreward P/E Ratio: 11.86
- P/E Growth: 2.51
- Annual Revenue: $11.19 billion
- Price / Sales: 1.05
- Book Value: $41.21 per share
- Price / Book: 1.27
- Annual Dividend: $0.92
- Dividend Yield: 1.8%
- EBITDA: $1.66 billion
- Net Margins: 8.57%
- Return on Equity: 10.23%
- Return on Assets: 1.49%
- Debt-to-Equity Ratio: 0.32%
- Current Ratio: 0.17%
- Quick Ratio: 0.17%
- Average Volume: 992,249 shs.
- Beta: 1.59
- Short Ratio: 3.24
Frequently Asked Questions for Unum Group (NYSE:UNM)
What is Unum Group's stock symbol?
Unum Group trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "UNM."
How often does Unum Group pay dividends? What is the dividend yield for Unum Group?
Unum Group announced a quarterly dividend on Monday, October 16th. Stockholders of record on Monday, October 30th will be paid a dividend of $0.23 per share on Friday, November 17th. This represents a $0.92 annualized dividend and a dividend yield of 1.76%. The ex-dividend date of this dividend is Friday, October 27th. View Unum Group's Dividend History.
How will Unum Group's stock buyback program work?
Unum Group declared that its board has initiated a stock buyback program on Sunday, June 4th 2017, which authorizes the company to buyback $750,000,000.00 in outstanding shares, according to EventVestor. This buyback authorization authorizes the company to reacquire up to 7.2% of its stock through open market purchases. Stock buyback programs are generally an indication that the company's management believes its stock is undervalued.
How were Unum Group's earnings last quarter?
Unum Group (NYSE:UNM) released its quarterly earnings data on Thursday, July, 27th. The company reported $1.05 EPS for the quarter, beating the Zacks' consensus estimate of $1.01 by $0.04. The company earned $2.81 billion during the quarter, compared to the consensus estimate of $2.80 billion. Unum Group had a net margin of 8.57% and a return on equity of 10.23%. During the same period last year, the firm posted $1.00 EPS. View Unum Group's Earnings History.
When will Unum Group make its next earnings announcement?
Where is Unum Group's stock going? Where will Unum Group's stock price be in 2017?
10 brokerages have issued 1 year target prices for Unum Group's shares. Their forecasts range from $40.00 to $58.00. On average, they expect Unum Group's stock price to reach $50.22 in the next twelve months. View Analyst Ratings for Unum Group.
What are analysts saying about Unum Group stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Unum Group stock:
- 1. Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (The) analysts commented, "We believe that MET should also see value uplift as the market better appreciates the stability in the remaining business following the last 12 months that were highlighted by balance sheet and earnings volatility related to the company's US retail separation," the firm said.See also: Jim Cramer Advises His Viewers On Metlife, Brighthouse Financial And B&G Foods Athene Holding: Best Positioned To Deploy CapitalGoldman believes Athene Holdings is best positioned to deploy capital, which could fuel growth in a variety of interest rate scenarios. The firm sees the company to be its top pick among the higher-beta names, as excess capital and debt could help earnings per share growth.The firm believes out of the $3.5 billion of combined debt and equity capacity, $750 million to $1.25 billion could be put to work in the near term. This, according to the firm, could lead to 7–13 percent earnings per share accretion, posing upside risk to its estimates, which assume deployment only through organic means.Lincoln PressuredThe firm sees earnings and capital pressure for Lincoln from universal life insurance. While noting that the company has maintained its earnings power in its life insurance business through the cost of insurance increases and reinsurance captures, the firm said it expects a slowdown in the cost of insurance increases following impending litigation and regulatory scrutiny from the New York Department of Financial Services.The firm said this could hurt earnings from the life insurance business. Additionally, the firm said it would pose some risk heading into the third quarter actuarial review as well as the goodwill review in the fourth quarter.Unum: Valuation Downside SeenGoldman sees downside to Unum's valuation, as it believes the closed block has negative value. Additionally, the firm said getting capital back out of the LTC business is less likely."Our roughly $800m negative value on the LTC business is reflective of the assumption that the cash drag continues for about 10 years, which we did not feel was overly punitive given the more than 20-year duration of the product," (10/18/2017)
- 2. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Shares of Unum Group have outperformed industry in a year's time. However, the company did not witness any earnings momentum for its 2017 and 2018 estimates over the last 60 days. Nonetheless, the company’s premiums continue to increase, fueled by solid persistency levels in core business lines and sturdy volume of sales, along with solid benefits experience. Acquisitions have provided an additional support. Starmount Life Insurance Company buyout gave access to growth opportunities in the dental market, which is in sync with its strategy to focus more on the employee benefits business. A sustained favorable performance drives solid capital generation and strong financial flexibility aiding active capital deployment. Unum expects 2017 operating earnings to grow 5–8% over the 2016 level. However, exposure to low interest rate environment remains the key headwind affecting the Unum U.K. results." (10/5/2017)
Who are some of Unum Group's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Unum Group include Aviva plc (AV), Principal Financial Group (PFG), Lincoln National Corporation (LNC), Aegon NV (AEG), Athene Holding (ATH), Voya Financial (VOYA), StanCorp Financial Group (SFG), CNO Financial Group (CNO), Symetra Financial (SYA), Phoenix Group Holdings (PHNX), Just Group PLC (JUST), Just Group PLC (JRP), Chesnara Plc (CSN), GWG Holdings (GWGH), Friends Life Group Ltd (RSL), Friends Life Group Ltd (FLG), Just Group PLC (JRG) and Protective Life Corp. (PL).
Who are Unum Group's key executives?
Unum Group's management team includes the folowing people:
- Richard P. McKenney, President, Chief Executive Officer, Director
- John F. McGarry, Chief Financial Officer, Executive Vice President
- Timothy Gerald Arnold, Executive Vice President, President and Chief Executive Officer - Colonial Life
- Peter G. O'Donnell, President and Chief Executive Officer ,Unum UK
- Michael Q. Simonds, Executive Vice President, President and Chief Executive Officer, Unum US
- Breege A. Farrell, Executive Vice President, Chief Investment Officer
- Lisa G. Iglesias, Executive Vice President, General Counsel
- Christopher J. Jerome, Executive Vice President - Global Services
- Daniel Jason Waxenberg, Senior Vice President, Chief Accounting Officer, Principal Accounting Officer
- Kevin T. Kabat, Non-Executive Chairman of the Board
Who owns Unum Group stock?
Unum Group's stock is owned by many different of institutional and retail investors. Top institutional shareholders include APG Asset Management N.V. (0.41%), Assenagon Asset Management S.A. (0.28%), PGGM Investments (0.23%), Robeco Institutional Asset Management B.V. (0.10%), Fisher Asset Management LLC (0.07%) and OLD Second National Bank of Aurora (0.03%). Company insiders that own Unum Group stock include A S Macmillan, Breege A Farrell, Christopher J Jerome, Daniel Jason Waxenberg, E Michael Caulfield, Gloria C Larson, John F Mcgarry, Michael Q Simonds, Pamela H Godwin, Thomas R Watjen and Timothy Gerald Arnold. View Institutional Ownership Trends for Unum Group.
Who sold Unum Group stock? Who is selling Unum Group stock?
Unum Group's stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Oakbrook Investments LLC, Robeco Institutional Asset Management B.V., State Treasurer State of Michigan, OLD Second National Bank of Aurora, Honkamp Krueger Financial Services Inc., Fisher Asset Management LLC and Strs Ohio. Company insiders that have sold Unum Group stock in the last year include Breege A Farrell, Christopher J Jerome, Daniel Jason Waxenberg, Gloria C Larson, John F Mcgarry, Michael Q Simonds, Pamela H Godwin, Thomas R Watjen and Timothy Gerald Arnold. View Insider Buying and Selling for Unum Group.
Who bought Unum Group stock? Who is buying Unum Group stock?
Unum Group's stock was acquired by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Assenagon Asset Management S.A., PGGM Investments, APG Asset Management N.V., Shell Asset Management Co., Foster & Motley Inc., Fulton Bank N.A. and Montecito Bank & Trust. View Insider Buying and Selling for Unum Group.
How do I buy Unum Group stock?
Shares of Unum Group can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is Unum Group's stock price today?
MarketBeat Community Rating for Unum Group (NYSE UNM)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about Unum Group and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe the stock will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe the stock will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.
One share of Unum Group stock can currently be purchased for approximately $52.29.
Consensus Ratings for Unum Group (NYSE:UNM) (How are Consensus Ratings Calculated?)
MarketBeat calculates consensus ratings using the most recent rating from each brokerage that has rated a stock within the last twelve months. Since brokers often use different ratings systems, each rating is normalized to a standardized rating score of 1 (sell), 2 (hold), 3 (buy) or 4 (strong buy). Consensus ratings scores are calculated using the mean average of the number of normalized sell, hold, buy and strong buy ratings. Each stock's consensus rating is derived from its calculated consensus ratings score (0-1.5 = Sell, 1.5-2.5 = Hold, 2.5-3.5 = Buy, >3.5 = Strong Buy). MarketBeat's consensus price targets are a mean average of the most recent available price targets set by each analyst that has set a price target for the stock in the last twelve months.
MarketBeat will no longer include ratings and price target data in its consensus calculation if a broker drops coverage and MarketBeat has received a report that coverage was dropped. Ratings from certain research firms that issue ratings using purely quantitative methods (such as Zacks, Vetr and ValuEngine) are not included in consensus calculations. MarketBeat's consensus ratings and consensus price targets may differ from those calculated by other firms due to differences in methodology and available data.
|Ratings Breakdown: ||2 Sell Ratings, 6 Hold Ratings, 2 Buy Ratings|
|Consensus Rating:||Hold (Score: 2.00)|
|Consensus Price Target: ||$50.22 (3.95% downside)|Consensus Price Target History for Unum Group (NYSE:UNM)
Analysts' Ratings History for Unum Group (NYSE:UNM)
(Data available from 10/23/2015 forward)
|Date||Firm||Action||Rating||Price Target||Impact on Share Price||Details|
|10/18/2017||Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (The)||Initiated Coverage||Neutral -> Sell||$48.00||N/A|
|10/10/2017||Royal Bank Of Canada||Reiterated Rating||Hold||$51.00||N/A|
|10/5/2017||Morgan Stanley||Boost Price Target||Equal Weight||$52.00 -> $55.00||N/A|
|9/27/2017||SunTrust Banks, Inc.||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$58.00||Low|
|8/11/2017||Barclays PLC||Boost Price Target||Overweight||$56.00 -> $57.00||Low|
|7/30/2017||Wells Fargo & Company||Reiterated Rating||Hold||Low|
|4/19/2017||Deutsche Bank AG||Boost Price Target||Hold||$46.00 -> $48.00||Medium|
|3/13/2017||Citigroup Inc.||Downgrade||Buy -> Neutral||$53.00||Low|
|2/2/2017||FBR & Co||Reiterated Rating||Sell||N/A|
|11/28/2016||Compass Point||Downgrade||Buy -> Neutral||$42.00||N/A|
|10/7/2016||Credit Suisse Group||Initiated Coverage||Neutral||$42.00||N/A|
|7/6/2016||Evercore ISI||Initiated Coverage||Sell||$29.00||N/A|
|6/29/2016||Bank of America Corporation||Downgrade||Neutral -> Underperform||N/A|
|12/18/2015||Raymond James Financial, Inc.||Lower Price Target||Outperform||$40.00 -> $39.00||N/A|
Earnings History for Unum Group (NYSE:UNM)Earnings History by Quarter for Unum Group (NYSE UNM)
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|7/27/2017||Q2 2017||$1.01||$1.05||$2.80 billion||$2.81 billion||View||N/A|
|4/26/2017||Q1 2017||$1.00||$1.02||$2.84 billion||$2.81 billion||View||N/A|
|2/1/2017||Q416||$0.98||$1.00||$2.76 billion||$2.80 billion||View||Listen|
|10/26/2016||Q316||$0.95||$0.99||$2.74 billion||$2.76 billion||View||N/A|
|7/27/2016||Q216||$0.94||$0.99||$2.75 billion||$2.76 billion||View||N/A|
|4/27/2016||Q116||$0.91||$0.95||$2.73 billion||$2.73 billion||View||N/A|
|2/2/2016||Q415||$0.92||$0.95||$2.71 billion||$2.73 billion||View||N/A|
|10/28/2015||Q315||$0.90||$0.91||$2.68 billion||$2.66 billion||View||Listen|
|7/29/2015||Q2||$0.90||$0.89||$2.67 billion||$2.70 billion||View||Listen|
|4/29/2015||Q1||$0.89||$0.89||$2.66 billion||$2.65 billion||View||N/A|
|2/3/2015||Q414||$0.88||$0.90||$2.70 billion||$2.64 billion||View||N/A|
|10/29/2014||Q314||$0.90||$0.87||$2.61 billion||$2.61 billion||View||N/A|
|7/30/2014||Q214||$0.87||$0.91||$2.61 billion||$2.64 billion||View||N/A|
|5/7/2014||Q114||$0.85||$0.87||$2.61 million||$2.61 billion||View||N/A|
|2/4/2014||Q413||$0.84||$0.84||$2.60 billion||$2.59 billion||View||N/A|
|11/4/2013||Q313||$0.82||$0.85||$2.59 billion||$2.54 billion||View||N/A|
|8/5/2013||Q2 2013||$0.80||$0.82||$2.61 billion||$2.60 billion||View||Listen|
|5/1/2013||Q1 2013||$0.78||$0.80||$2.62 billion||$2.63 billion||View||Listen|
|2/5/2013||Q4 2012||$0.77||$0.82||$2.63 billion||$6.27 billion||View||Listen|
Earnings Estimates for Unum Group (NYSE:UNM)
2017 EPS Consensus Estimate: $4.09
2018 EPS Consensus Estimate: $4.41
(Data provided by Zacks Investment Research)
|Quarter||Number of Estimates||Low Estimate||High Estimate||Average Estimate|
Current Dividend Information for Unum Group (NYSE:UNM)
|Dividend Growth:||11.90% (3 Year Average)|
|Payout Ratio:||22.17% (Trailing 12 Months of Earnings) |
22.06% (Based on This Year's Estimates)
20.86% (Based on Next Year's Estimates)
|Track Record:||8 Years of Consecutive Dividend Growth|
Dividend History by Quarter for Unum Group (NYSE UNM)
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Announced||Period||Amount||Yield||Ex-Dividend Date||Record Date||Payable Date|
Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History for Unum Group (NYSE:UNM)
Insider Ownership Percentage: 0.53%Insider Trades by Quarter for Unum Group (NYSE:UNM)
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 92.20%
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Details|
|8/7/2017||Pamela H. Godwin||Director||Sell||2,500||$50.71||$126,775.00|| |
|8/1/2017||Gloria C. Larson||Director||Sell||2,460||$50.23||$123,565.80|| |
|6/23/2017||Breege A. Farrell||EVP||Sell||15,000||$45.47||$682,050.00|| |
|5/5/2017||Michael Q. Simonds||EVP||Sell||5,000||$46.61||$233,050.00|| |
|5/1/2017||Daniel Jason Waxenberg||CAO||Sell||260||$46.44||$12,074.40|| |
|3/13/2017||Timothy Gerald Arnold||EVP||Sell||2,000||$48.54||$97,080.00|| |
|2/6/2017||Pamela H. Godwin||Director||Sell||10,000||$46.86||$468,600.00|| |
|2/3/2017||Thomas R. Watjen||Director||Sell||25,000||$46.91||$1,172,750.00|| |
|11/14/2016||Christopher J. Jerome||EVP||Sell||8,000||$41.49||$331,920.00|| |
|11/14/2016||John F. Mcgarry||CFO||Sell||12,000||$41.44||$497,280.00|| |
|10/28/2016||Thomas R. Watjen||Director||Sell||178,927||$35.56||$6,362,644.12|| |
|8/1/2016||Thomas R. Watjen||Director||Sell||40,000||$33.24||$1,329,600.00|| |
|5/31/2016||Timothy Gerald Arnold||CEO||Sell||1,600||$36.99||$59,184.00|| |
|5/6/2016||A S Macmillan||Director||Sell||327||$33.49||$10,951.23|| |
|5/2/2016||Thomas R Watjen||Director||Sell||40,000||$34.16||$1,366,400.00|| |
|11/12/2015||E Michael Caulfield||Director||Sell||13,890||$36.14||$501,984.60|| |
|3/3/2015||Richard P Mckenney||CFO||Sell||15,000||$33.48||$502,200.00|| |
|2/25/2015||Thomas R Watjen||CEO||Sell||37,767||$33.87||$1,279,168.29|| |
|11/17/2014||Randall C Horn||CEO||Sell||12,000||$34.01||$408,120.00|| |
|11/7/2014||Thomas R Watjen||CEO||Sell||40,000||$33.19||$1,327,600.00|| |
|9/10/2014||Randall C Horn||CEO||Sell||12,000||$35.88||$430,560.00|| |
|8/18/2014||Ronald E Goldsberry||Director||Sell||5,702||$35.12||$200,254.24|| |
|8/6/2014||A S Macmillan||Director||Sell||1,090||$34.41||$37,506.90|| |
|8/6/2014||Thomas R Watjen||CEO||Sell||60,000||$34.35||$2,061,000.00|| |
|7/1/2014||John F Mcgarry||CEO||Sell||2,000||$34.83||$69,660.00|| |
|6/13/2014||Richard P Mckenney||CFO||Sell||15,000||$34.97||$524,550.00|| |
|6/10/2014||Pamela H Godwin||Director||Sell||3,000||$35.53||$106,590.00|| |
|6/3/2014||Randall C Horn||CEO||Sell||15,000||$34.47||$517,050.00|| |
|6/2/2014||Ronald E Goldsberry||Director||Sell||12,022||$34.05||$409,349.10|| |
|5/1/2014||John Mcgarry||CEO||Sell||2,000||$33.20||$66,400.00|| |
|2/26/2014||Kevin Mccarthy||COO||Sell||1,610||$34.00||$54,740.00|| |
|2/6/2014||Thomas Watjen||CEO||Sell||60,000||$32.25||$1,935,000.00|| |
|2/3/2014||John Mcgarry||CEO||Sell||2,000||$32.08||$64,160.00|| |
|12/10/2013||E. Liston Bishop III||EVP||Sell||4,679||$34.14||$159,741.06|| |
|12/10/2013||Kevin Mccarthy||COO||Sell||5,976||$34.14||$204,020.64|| |
|12/4/2013||E. Liston Bishop III||EVP||Sell||1,060||$34.00||$36,040.00|| |
|12/4/2013||Kevin Mccarthy||COO||Sell||3,880||$34.00||$131,920.00|| |
|11/26/2013||E. Liston Bishop III||EVP||Sell||7,598||$34.01||$258,407.98|| |
|11/26/2013||Kevin Mccarthy||COO||Sell||31,508||$34.01||$1,071,587.08|| |
|9/10/2013||Gloria C Larson||Director||Sell||11,000||$31.00||$341,000.00|| |
|8/9/2013||Thomas Kinser||Director||Sell||1,000||$30.33||$30,330.00|| |
|8/7/2013||Thomas Watjen||CEO||Sell||75,000||$30.53||$2,289,750.00|| |
|8/1/2013||Kevin Mccarthy||COO||Sell||22,854||$32.12||$734,070.48|| |
|7/5/2013||Kevin P Mccarthy||COO||Sell||12,000||$30.05||$360,600.00|| |
|6/24/2013||Kevin P Mccarthy||COO||Sell||12,000||$28.85||$346,200.00|| |
|5/30/2013||Ronald E Goldsberry||Director||Sell||5,937||$28.31||$168,076.47|| |
Headline Trends for Unum Group (NYSE:UNM)
Latest Headlines for Unum Group (NYSE:UNM)
Loading headlines, please wait.
Unum Group (UNM) Chart for Monday, October, 23, 2017