About United Natural Foods (NASDAQ:UNFI)
United Natural Foods, Inc. is a distributor and retailer of natural, organic and specialty products. The Company's segments include Wholesale and Other. The Wholesale segment is engaged in the national distribution of natural, organic and specialty foods, produce and related products in the United States and Canada. The Other segment includes a retail division, which engages in the sale of natural foods and related products to the general public through retail storefronts on the east coast of the United States; a manufacturing division, which engages in importing, roasting and packaging of nuts, seeds, dried fruit and snack items, and its branded product lines. Its operations consist of three operating divisions: Wholesale Division, Retail Division, and Manufacturing and Branded Products divisions. As of July 30, 2016, the Company had offered 100,000 natural, organic and specialty foods, and non-food products, consisting of national, regional and private-label brands.
Industry, Sector and Symbol:
- Sector: Consumer Staples
- Industry: Food Retail & Distribution
- Sub-Industry: Food Distributors
- Symbol: NASDAQ:UNFI
- CUSIP: 91116310
- Web: www.unfi.com
- Market Cap: $1.99813 billion
- Outstanding Shares: 50,623,000
- 50 Day Moving Avg: $39.87
- 200 Day Moving Avg: $38.84
- 52 Week Range: $29.53 - $49.74
Sales & Book Value:
- Trailing P/E Ratio: 15.42
- Foreward P/E Ratio: 13.70
- P/E Growth: 3.76
- Annual Revenue: $9.27 billion
- Price / Sales: 0.22
- Book Value: $33.22 per share
- Price / Book: 1.19
- EBITDA: $318.94 million
- Net Margins: 1.40%
- Return on Equity: 8.10%
- Return on Assets: 4.50%
- Debt-to-Equity Ratio: 0.22%
- Current Ratio: 2.36%
- Quick Ratio: 0.90%
- Average Volume: 842,931 shs.
- Beta: 1.43
- Short Ratio: 13.51
Frequently Asked Questions for United Natural Foods (NASDAQ:UNFI)
What is United Natural Foods' stock symbol?
United Natural Foods trades on the NASDAQ under the ticker symbol "UNFI."
How will United Natural Foods' stock buyback program work?
United Natural Foods declared that its Board of Directors has approved a stock buyback program on Saturday, October 7th 2017, which authorizes the company to repurchase $200,000,000.00 in shares, according to EventVestor. This repurchase authorization authorizes the company to purchase shares of its stock through open market purchases. Stock repurchase programs are often a sign that the company's management believes its shares are undervalued.
How were United Natural Foods' earnings last quarter?
United Natural Foods, Inc. (NASDAQ:UNFI) posted its quarterly earnings data on Wednesday, September, 13th. The company reported $0.72 earnings per share for the quarter, beating the Thomson Reuters' consensus estimate of $0.70 by $0.02. The firm earned $2.34 billion during the quarter, compared to analyst estimates of $2.36 billion. United Natural Foods had a net margin of 1.40% and a return on equity of 8.10%. The company's quarterly revenue was up 5.7% on a year-over-year basis. During the same quarter in the prior year, the business earned $0.70 earnings per share. View United Natural Foods' Earnings History.
When will United Natural Foods make its next earnings announcement?
What guidance has United Natural Foods issued on next quarter's earnings?
United Natural Foods updated its FY18 earnings guidance on Wednesday, September, 13th. The company provided earnings per share guidance of $2.67-2.77 for the period, compared to the Thomson Reuters consensus earnings per share estimate of $2.68. The company issued revenue guidance of ~$9.63-9.81 billion, compared to the consensus revenue estimate of $9.75 billion.
Where is United Natural Foods' stock going? Where will United Natural Foods' stock price be in 2017?
19 equities research analysts have issued 12-month price objectives for United Natural Foods' stock. Their predictions range from $32.00 to $52.00. On average, they expect United Natural Foods' share price to reach $42.18 in the next twelve months. View Analyst Ratings for United Natural Foods.
What are analysts saying about United Natural Foods stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about United Natural Foods stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Shares of United Natural have outpaced the industry in the past three months, primarily backed by its growth initiatives. In the recently reported fourth-quarter fiscal 2017, the company’s earnings benefited from the sale of its stake holdings in Kicking Horse coffee. This indicates that the company has been making solid progress with its rationalizing efforts. Additionally, acquisition-related benefits have been aiding the United Natural’s top-line growth for a while now. Evidently, in the reported quarter, its top line depicted a year-on-year gain of 5.7% owing to Gourmet Guru and Haddon House acquisitions. Also, the company has been gaining from increased consumer preference for natural and organic brands, in spite of the ongoing industry challenges. We also note that United Natural has a murky sales surprise history as the company’s top line has lagged estimates for 11 straight quarters now." (10/10/2017)
- 2. Argus analysts commented, "strengthened" its balance sheet and offered investors "solid" guidance for the full-year in its fourth-quarter earnings report. The firm's David Coleman upgrades United Natural Foods' stock from Hold to Buy with a $49 price target.United Natural Foods guided its full year fiscal 2018 revenue to be higher by 3.8 to 5.8 percent, or $9.63 to $9.81 billion, the analyst highlighted in his upgrade note. The earnings report also demonstrated management's commitment to improving its balance sheet while not shying away from accretive M&A deals.Throughout fiscal 2017 the company oversaw four acquisitions and even more deals are "expected" (9/25/2017)
- 3. Pivotal Research analysts commented, "Wed., 9/13. We also expect some preliminary commentary on FY18 guidance. Notably, the Amazon buyout of Whole Foods was announced after UNFI’s 3Q results on 6/6. We think the potential for Whole Foods to source directly will be greatly enhanced under Amazon’s stewardship. For 4Q17, the impact of recently announced restructuring activities should be offset by the gain related to UNFI’s equity stake in Kicking Horse Coffee. Despite two consecutive restructurings announced by UNFI in FY17, core earnings are still to decline in 4Q. The FY18 guidance should better reflect organic revenue trends following the heavy wave of acquisition activity in FY16. We estimate organic revenue growth at UNFI is around 4% (below category growth of around 8%)." (9/12/2017)
- 4. Royal Bank Of Canada analysts commented, " In the quarter, UNFI's organic growth further decelerated. With each segment facing its own set of challenges, we still believe it's too early to expect an inflation. While we are encouraged by the UNFI Next program (focus on emerging innovation), we believe it is a bit early to count on it as an offset to pressures. Reiterate Sector Perform rating and $34 Price Target." (3/14/2017)
- 5. Wells Fargo & Company analysts commented, "We are lowering our FY17/18 EPS estimates by $0.02/$0.03 to $2.53/$2.65 (or -2.4%/+4.9% y/y). Reiterate Market Perform. We model sales below FY17 guidance. UNFI’s Q2 sales growth of +11.6% (vs. our +13.3%) was comprised of roughly +2% organic growth and a +9.5% contribution from M&A. While UNFI no longer provides the organic growth vs. M&A breakdown, we estimate UNFI’s sales to WFM grew +3.5% (vs. our +5% estimate), independent customers grew +9.6% (including 8 points from M&A), and conventional supermarkets grew +26.2% (nearly all M&A). Assuming a 7% contribution from M&A for FY17, UNFI’s revised sales guidance of +11.2% (midpoint) implies +4% organic growth (or +4.5% in 2H vs. 2% in 1H). While UNFI has discussed a +120bps annual impact from new customer wins, we believe the operating environment warrants caution, and continue to model 10% FY17 sales growth (unchanged vs. prior), or 70bps below the low end of UNFI’s range." (3/8/2017)
Who are some of United Natural Foods' key competitors?
Some companies that are related to United Natural Foods include Booker Group Plc (BOK), Performance Food Group Company (PFGC), Sprouts Farmers Market (SFM), Diplomat Pharmacy (DPLO), Weis Markets (WMK), SuperValu (SVU), GNC Holdings (GNC), McColl's Retail Group PLC (MCLS), Boulder Brands (BDBD), Boulder Brands (SMBL), DAVIDsTEA (DTEA), Delhaize Group SA (DEG), Krispy Kreme Doughnuts (KKD) and Safeway (SWY).
Who are United Natural Foods' key executives?
United Natural Foods' management team includes the folowing people:
- Steven L. Spinner, Chairman of the Board, President, Chief Executive Officer
- Michael P. Zechmeister, Chief Financial Officer, Senior Vice President, Treasurer
- Paul S. Green, President, Pacific Region
- John M. Hummel, President, Central Region
- Christopher P. Testa, President, Atlantic Region
- Sean F. Griffin, Chief Operating Officer
- Joseph J. Traficanti, Senior Vice President, Chief Compliance Officer, General Counsel, Corporate Secretary
- Danielle Benedict, Senior Vice President - Human Resources
- Craig H. Smith, Senior Vice President - Fresh Sales
- Eric A. Dorne, Chief Administrative Officer, Chief Information Officer
Who owns United Natural Foods stock?
United Natural Foods' stock is owned by many different of institutional and retail investors. Top institutional shareholders include Fisher Asset Management LLC (1.39%), Mutual of America Capital Management LLC (0.08%), State Treasurer State of Michigan (0.04%), Moloney Securities Asset Management LLC (0.01%) and Balasa Dinverno & Foltz LLC (0.01%). Company insiders that own United Natural Foods stock include Bates Ann Torre, Eric A Dorne, James P Heffernan, John Michael Hummel, Joseph J Traficanti, Michael Paul Zechmeister, Paul Scott Green, Peter Roy and Sean Griffin. View Institutional Ownership Trends for United Natural Foods.
Who sold United Natural Foods stock? Who is selling United Natural Foods stock?
United Natural Foods' stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including State Treasurer State of Michigan and Mutual of America Capital Management LLC. Company insiders that have sold United Natural Foods stock in the last year include Bates Ann Torre, Eric A Dorne, James P Heffernan, John Michael Hummel, Joseph J Traficanti, Michael Paul Zechmeister, Paul Scott Green, Peter Roy and Sean Griffin. View Insider Buying and Selling for United Natural Foods.
Who bought United Natural Foods stock? Who is buying United Natural Foods stock?
How do I buy United Natural Foods stock?
Shares of United Natural Foods can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is United Natural Foods' stock price today?
MarketBeat Community Rating for United Natural Foods (NASDAQ UNFI)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about United Natural Foods and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe the stock will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe the stock will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.
One share of United Natural Foods stock can currently be purchased for approximately $39.47.
Consensus Ratings for United Natural Foods (NASDAQ:UNFI) (How are Consensus Ratings Calculated?)
MarketBeat calculates consensus ratings using the most recent rating from each brokerage that has rated a stock within the last twelve months. Since brokers often use different ratings systems, each rating is normalized to a standardized rating score of 1 (sell), 2 (hold), 3 (buy) or 4 (strong buy). Consensus ratings scores are calculated using the mean average of the number of normalized sell, hold, buy and strong buy ratings. Each stock's consensus rating is derived from its calculated consensus ratings score (0-1.5 = Sell, 1.5-2.5 = Hold, 2.5-3.5 = Buy, >3.5 = Strong Buy). MarketBeat's consensus price targets are a mean average of the most recent available price targets set by each analyst that has set a price target for the stock in the last twelve months.
MarketBeat will no longer include ratings and price target data in its consensus calculation if a broker drops coverage and MarketBeat has received a report that coverage was dropped. Ratings from certain research firms that issue ratings using purely quantitative methods (such as Zacks, Vetr and ValuEngine) are not included in consensus calculations. MarketBeat's consensus ratings and consensus price targets may differ from those calculated by other firms due to differences in methodology and available data.
|Ratings Breakdown: ||5 Sell Ratings, 9 Hold Ratings, 5 Buy Ratings|
|Consensus Rating:||Hold (Score: 2.00)|
|Consensus Price Target: ||$42.18 (6.86% upside)|Consensus Price Target History for United Natural Foods (NASDAQ:UNFI)
Analysts' Ratings History for United Natural Foods (NASDAQ:UNFI)
(Data available from 10/23/2015 forward)
|Date||Firm||Action||Rating||Price Target||Impact on Share Price||Details|
|10/17/2017||Royal Bank Of Canada||Downgrade||Sector Perform -> Underperform||$36.00 -> $34.00||N/A|
|10/16/2017||Susquehanna Bancshares Inc||Initiated Coverage||Neutral||$43.00||N/A|
|10/16/2017||Jefferies Group LLC||Reiterated Rating||Hold||N/A|
|9/28/2017||Barclays PLC||Reiterated Rating||Sell||$32.00||Medium|
|9/25/2017||Argus||Upgrade||Hold -> Buy||$49.00||High|
|9/18/2017||Oppenheimer Holdings, Inc.||Reiterated Rating||Hold||Low|
|9/14/2017||BMO Capital Markets||Reiterated Rating||Market Perform||$38.00 -> $40.00||High|
|9/14/2017||Buckingham Research||Lower Price Target||Buy||$53.00 -> $51.00||High|
|9/14/2017||Bank of America Corporation||Reiterated Rating||Underperform||$35.00 -> $36.00||High|
|9/14/2017||Wells Fargo & Company||Reiterated Rating||Hold||$38.00||High|
|9/14/2017||Loop Capital||Reiterated Rating||Buy -> Buy||$44.00 -> $50.00||High|
|9/12/2017||Pivotal Research||Reiterated Rating||Sell||$32.00||Medium|
|8/11/2017||Stephens||Initiated Coverage||Equal -> Equal Weight||$50.00||Low|
|6/19/2017||Morgan Stanley||Reiterated Rating||Underweight||$36.00 -> $33.00||Low|
|6/11/2017||Citigroup Inc.||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$49.00 -> $46.00||Low|
|6/7/2017||Deutsche Bank AG||Lower Price Target||Hold||$46.00 -> $43.00||Low|
|1/31/2017||Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (The)||Initiated Coverage||Neutral||$49.00||N/A|
|11/28/2016||Northcoast Research||Reiterated Rating||Neutral||N/A|
|8/16/2016||Piper Jaffray Companies||Reiterated Rating||Neutral||$45.00 -> $40.00||N/A|
|6/7/2016||Standpoint Research||Downgrade||Buy -> Hold||N/A|
|4/5/2016||Wedbush||Reiterated Rating||Neutral||$32.00 -> $35.00||N/A|
|3/8/2016||Canaccord Genuity||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$36.00 -> $40.00||N/A|
|12/8/2015||BB&T Corporation||Lower Price Target||Buy||$65.00 -> $58.00||N/A|
Earnings History for United Natural Foods (NASDAQ:UNFI)Earnings History by Quarter for United Natural Foods (NASDAQ UNFI)
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|9/13/2017||Q4 2017||$0.70||$0.72||$2.36 billion||$2.34 billion||View||N/A|
|6/6/2017||Q3 17||$0.76||$0.77||$2.42 billion||$2.37 billion||View||Listen|
|3/8/2017||Q2 2017||$0.50||$0.50||$2.33 billion||$2.29 billion||View||Listen|
|12/7/2016||Q117||$0.62||$0.58||$2.33 billion||$2.28 billion||View||N/A|
|9/12/2016||Q416||$0.63||$0.70||$2.22 billion||$2.21 billion||View||N/A|
|6/6/2016||Q316||$0.66||$0.76||$2.16 billion||$2.13 billion||View||N/A|
|3/7/2016||Q216||$0.49||$0.49||$2.07 billion||$2.05 billion||View||N/A|
|12/7/2015||Q116||$0.68||$0.63||$2.09 billion||$2.08 billion||View||N/A|
|9/15/2015||$0.72||$0.72||$2.06 billion||$2.06 billion||View||N/A|
|6/8/2015||Q315||$0.85||$0.83||$2.15 billion||$2.11 billion||View||N/A|
|3/9/2015||Q215||$0.67||$0.65||$2.02 billion||$2.02 billion||View||N/A|
|12/4/2014||Q115||$0.63||$0.66||$1.96 billion||$1.99 billion||View||N/A|
|9/17/2014||Q414||$0.65||$0.67||$1.74 billion||$1.76 billion||View||N/A|
|6/10/2014||Q3 14||$0.73||$0.73||$1.78 billion||$1.78 billion||View||N/A|
|3/10/2014||Q214||$0.56||$0.56||$1.64 billion||$1.65 billion||View||N/A|
|12/3/2013||Q1||$0.54||$0.56||$1.61 million||$1.60 million||View||Listen|
|9/12/2013||Q4 2013||$0.60||$0.65||$1.63 billion||$1.64 billion||View||Listen|
|5/28/2013||Q3 2013||$0.64||$0.64||$1.56 billion||$1.57 billion||View||Listen|
|2/26/2013||Q2 2013||$0.50||$0.46||$1.45 billion||$1.45 billion||View||Listen|
|9/11/2012||Q412||$0.51||$0.51||$1.32 billion||$1.34 billion||View||N/A|
|12/8/2010||$0.39||$0.39||$1.05 billion||$1.05 billion||View||N/A|
Earnings Estimates for United Natural Foods (NASDAQ:UNFI)
2017 EPS Consensus Estimate: $2.61
2018 EPS Consensus Estimate: $2.73
(Data provided by Zacks Investment Research)
|Quarter||Number of Estimates||Low Estimate||High Estimate||Average Estimate|
Dividend History for United Natural Foods (NASDAQ:UNFI)
No dividend announcements for this company have been tracked by MarketBeat.com
Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History for United Natural Foods (NASDAQ:UNFI)
Insider Ownership Percentage: 1.30%Insider Trades by Quarter for United Natural Foods (NASDAQ:UNFI)
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Details|
|10/12/2017||John Michael Hummel||Insider||Sell||1,407||$40.72||$57,293.04|| |
|10/12/2017||Peter Roy||Director||Sell||2,660||$40.43||$107,543.80|| |
|10/6/2017||Bates Ann Torre||Director||Sell||7,190||$40.16||$288,750.40|| |
|9/28/2017||James P Heffernan||Director||Sell||2,970||$42.45||$126,076.50|| |
|9/26/2017||Eric A Dorne||SVP||Sell||9,321||$44.34||$413,293.14|| |
|9/26/2017||James P Heffernan||Director||Sell||2,660||$44.28||$117,784.80|| |
|9/26/2017||Paul Scott Green||Insider||Sell||3,374||$44.55||$150,311.70|| |
|9/25/2017||Michael Paul Zechmeister||CFO||Sell||11,500||$44.06||$506,690.00|| |
|9/25/2017||Sean Griffin||COO||Sell||6,521||$44.60||$290,836.60|| |
|9/22/2017||Joseph J Traficanti||SVP||Sell||5,800||$43.25||$250,850.00|| |
|9/22/2017||Sean Griffin||COO||Sell||8,095||$43.25||$350,108.75|| |
|10/16/2015||Thomas A. Dziki||insider||Sell||19,195||$53.94||$1,035,378.30|| |
|10/7/2015||Donald P Mcintyre||SVP||Sell||1,200||$52.94||$63,528.00|| |
|8/24/2015||Donald P Mcintyre||SVP||Sell||1,500||$46.39||$69,585.00|| |
|8/24/2015||Sean Griffin||COO||Buy||6,521||$46.10||$300,618.10|| |
|8/24/2015||Steven Spinner||CEO||Buy||5,500||$45.24||$248,820.00|| |
|1/16/2015||Mark Shamber||CFO||Sell||2,449||$77.27||$189,234.23|| |
|1/15/2015||Joseph J Traficanti||SVP||Sell||9,208||$77.07||$709,660.56|| |
|1/14/2015||Thomas A Dziki||Insider||Sell||9,200||$77.21||$710,332.00|| |
|1/12/2015||Mark Shamber||CFO||Sell||11,045||$76.62||$846,267.90|| |
|1/9/2015||Christopher P Testa||Insider||Sell||2,200||$77.42||$170,324.00|| |
|1/8/2015||Steven Spinner||CEO||Sell||21,872||$76.88||$1,681,519.36|| |
|1/5/2015||Craig Harder Smith||SVP||Sell||2,596||$75.51||$196,023.96|| |
|1/2/2015||Gail A Graham||Director||Sell||1,064||$76.92||$81,842.88|| |
|1/2/2015||Sean Griffin||COO||Sell||18,586||$76.00||$1,412,536.00|| |
|1/2/2015||Steven Spinner||CEO||Sell||3,128||$76.49||$239,260.72|| |
|12/22/2014||Michael S Funk||Director||Sell||15,000||$77.03||$1,155,450.00|| |
|10/6/2014||Craig Harder Smith||SVP||Sell||9,836||$60.71||$597,143.56|| |
|9/19/2014||Eric A Dorne||SVP||Sell||3,081||$63.86||$196,752.66|| |
|7/18/2014||Thomas A Dziki||Insider||Sell||1,396||$61.98||$86,524.08|| |
|7/3/2014||Gail A Graham||Director||Sell||2,264||$66.85||$151,348.40|| |
|6/24/2014||Christopher P Testa||Insider||Sell||1,875||$63.73||$119,493.75|| |
|10/17/2013||Craig Harder Smith||Insider||Sell||5,093||$68.82||$350,500.26|| |
|10/16/2013||Joseph J Traficanti||SVP||Sell||8,730||$68.94||$601,846.20|| |
|10/11/2013||James Heffernan||Director||Sell||1,064||$67.45||$71,766.80|| |
|9/24/2013||David Allen Matthews||Insider||Sell||1,130||$67.46||$76,229.80|| |
|9/24/2013||Eric Dorne||SVP||Sell||1,281||$66.98||$85,801.38|| |
|9/19/2013||Thomas John Grillea||Insider||Sell||10,399||$67.75||$704,532.25|| |
|9/17/2013||David Allen Matthews||Insider||Sell||5,802||$68.06||$394,884.12|| |
|9/17/2013||Eric Dorne||SVP||Sell||2,573||$68.04||$175,066.92|| |
|7/12/2013||Peter Roy||Director||Sell||6,000||$58.19||$349,140.00|| |
|7/10/2013||Thomas John Grillea||Insider||Sell||1,767||$56.74||$100,259.58|| |
|7/9/2013||Gail A Graham||Director||Sell||2,128||$55.07||$117,188.96|| |
|7/8/2013||Thomas A Dziki||Insider||Sell||2,141||$54.97||$117,690.77|| |
|6/28/2013||David Allen Matthews||Insider||Sell||3,140||$54.10||$169,874.00|| |
|6/19/2013||Joseph J Traficanti||SVP||Sell||1,000||$55.26||$55,260.00|| |
|6/13/2013||James P Heffernan||Director||Sell||1,064||$53.00||$56,392.00|| |
|6/13/2013||Joseph J Traficanti||SVP||Sell||1,000||$53.38||$53,380.00|| |
|4/2/2013||Gordon Barker||Director||Sell||3,500||$48.05||$168,175.00|| |
|9/13/2012||David Allen Matthews||Insider||Sell||3,068||$58.63||$179,876.84|| |
Headline Trends for United Natural Foods (NASDAQ:UNFI)
Latest Headlines for United Natural Foods (NASDAQ:UNFI)
Loading headlines, please wait.
United Natural Foods (UNFI) Chart for Monday, October, 23, 2017