About American Eagle Outfitters (NYSE:AEO)
American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. (AEO Inc.) is a multi-brand specialty retailer. The Company offers a range of apparel and accessories for men and women under the American Eagle Outfitters Brand (AEO Brand), and intimates, apparel and personal care products for women under the Aerie brand. AEO Inc. operates stores in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Hong Kong, China and the United Kingdom. As of January 28, 2017, the Company operated over 1,000 retail stores and online at ae.com and aerie.com in the United States and internationally. Its company-owned retail stores are located in shopping malls, lifestyle centers and street locations in the United States, Canada, Mexico, China, Hong Kong and the United Kingdom. Its other brands include Tailgate and Todd Snyder New York. Tailgate is an apparel brand with a college town store concept. Todd Snyder New York is a menswear brand. As of January 28, 2017, the AEO brand operated 943 stores and online at www.ae.com.
Industry, Sector and Symbol
Industry Apparel & Accessories Retailers
SectorCyclical Consumer Goods & Services
Trailing P/E Ratio19.6593406593407
Forward P/E Ratio15.42
Sales & Book Value
Annual Sales$3.61 billion
Price / Sales0.88
Cash Flow$2.08 per share
Price / Cash8.60
Book Value$6.62 per share
Price / Book2.70
Net Income$212.44 million
Return on Equity17.42%
Return on Assets11.63%
American Eagle Outfitters (NYSE:AEO) Frequently Asked Questions
What is American Eagle Outfitters' stock symbol?
American Eagle Outfitters trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "AEO."
How often does American Eagle Outfitters pay dividends? What is the dividend yield for American Eagle Outfitters?
American Eagle Outfitters declared a quarterly dividend on Tuesday, December 5th. Stockholders of record on Friday, December 15th will be paid a dividend of $0.125 per share on Friday, December 29th. This represents a $0.50 dividend on an annualized basis and a dividend yield of 2.79%. The ex-dividend date of this dividend is Thursday, December 14th. View American Eagle Outfitters' Dividend History.
How were American Eagle Outfitters' earnings last quarter?
American Eagle Outfitters (NYSE:AEO) announced its quarterly earnings data on Wednesday, December, 6th. The apparel retailer reported $0.37 EPS for the quarter, missing the Thomson Reuters' consensus estimate of $0.39 by $0.02. The apparel retailer had revenue of $960 million for the quarter, compared to the consensus estimate of $960.86 million. American Eagle Outfitters had a return on equity of 17.42% and a net margin of 4.50%. The company's revenue for the quarter was up 2.1% on a year-over-year basis. During the same period last year, the company earned $0.41 earnings per share. View American Eagle Outfitters' Earnings History.
When will American Eagle Outfitters make its next earnings announcement?
What guidance has American Eagle Outfitters issued on next quarter's earnings?
American Eagle Outfitters issued an update on its fourth quarter earnings guidance on Monday, January, 8th. The company provided EPS guidance of $0.42-0.44 for the period, compared to the Thomson Reuters consensus earnings per share estimate of $0.44.
Where is American Eagle Outfitters' stock going? Where will American Eagle Outfitters' stock price be in 2018?
17 analysts have issued twelve-month price objectives for American Eagle Outfitters' shares. Their forecasts range from $10.00 to $22.00. On average, they expect American Eagle Outfitters' share price to reach $16.19 in the next year. View Analyst Ratings for American Eagle Outfitters.
What are Wall Street analysts saying about American Eagle Outfitters stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about American Eagle Outfitters stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "American Eagle has outperformed the industry year to date. While second-quarter fiscal 2017 marked the company's second straight quarter of sales beat, earnings topped estimates after a miss in the last quarter. The company also posted 10th straight quarter of positive comps on the back of strong online sales at both brands driven by efficient use of omni-channel capabilities to enhance customer experience. Also, its new loyalty program, AEO Connect is likely to enhance customers' experience. We commend American Eagle's focus on expansion, as evident from its plans to enter the Indian market. Moreover, the company remains optimistic about the second half of fiscal 2017, especially the fall season. However, margins have been strained owing to increased promotions and the company expects these trends to continue and hurt results. Estimates have been stable ahead of the third quarter earnings." (11/9/2017)
- 2. UBS Group AG analysts commented, "Last week we hosted investor meeting with AEO (CFO Bob Madore, President of aerie Jennifer Foyle, IR Judy Meehan), with subsequent tour of aerie's pop-up SoHo store. While pricing wars in teen are heating up (both AEO and ANF talked about being promotional this Spring as traffic challenges accelerate, ARO still around), AEO is outperforming, with strength in women's apparel (accelerating over Holiday, driven especially by tops) and aerie emerging as a viable growth vehicle (seven quarters of comps up high-teens/20s); fixing men's (~40% of sales) big opportunity ahead. Tweaking estimates to reflect guide; AEO guided 1Q17 comps in line with current run-rate, which suggests potential upside as tax refunds catch up; risk/return looks interesting with 3-4% dividend/7% FCF yield, teen space volatility keeps us on sidelines." (3/6/2017)
- 3. BMO Capital Markets analysts commented, "4Q adjusted EPS of $0.39 was slightly above the consensus $0.38 estimate. The company issued light 1Q guidance of $0.15-0.17, which is consistent with broader retail weakness indicated in February across the industry. Nonetheless, our long-term thesis remains intact as we believe that the immediate competitive environment headwinds are likely to dissipate in the coming year - especially compared to last year. Further, we believe guidance does not consider any improvement in March/April from QTD trends. We maintain our Outperform rating and highlight current valuation as a favorable entry point." (3/2/2017)
- 4. Mizuho analysts commented, "We are lowering our estimates and PT to $15 (from $16) following a disappointing 1Q guide that may point to muted margin improvement and challenging topline growth in FY17. While we were encouraged by the relative strength of Aerie and the women's assortment at core AE, we question the strategy to invest behind AUC and unit growth in order to gain market share, especially with increased AUR pressure from competition and the face of difficult stacked compares. As such, we believe AE may continue to trade at a discounted multiple of ~12x." (3/1/2017)
Are investors shorting American Eagle Outfitters?
American Eagle Outfitters saw a decline in short interest during the month of December. As of December 15th, there was short interest totalling 13,217,592 shares, a decline of 32.7% from the November 30th total of 19,649,156 shares. Based on an average daily trading volume, of 7,339,271 shares, the short-interest ratio is currently 1.8 days. Approximately 8.2% of the shares of the company are short sold.
Who are some of American Eagle Outfitters' key competitors?
Some companies that are related to American Eagle Outfitters include Foot Locker (FL), ASOS (ASC), Carter's (CRI), Urban Outfitters (URBN), Kate Spade & Co (KATE), Guess? (GES), Ted Baker (TED), Abercrombie & Fitch (ANF), Buckle (BKE), Genesco (GCO), Lands' End (LE), Express (EXPR), Ascena Retail Group (ASNA), Tilly's (TLYS), Citi Trends (CTRN), Joules Group (JOUL), Francesca's (FRAN) and Sequential Brands Group (SQBG).
Who are American Eagle Outfitters' key executives?
American Eagle Outfitters' management team includes the folowing people:
- Jay L. Schottenstein, Executive Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer (Age 62)
- Robert L. Madore, Chief Financial Officer, Executive Vice President (Age 52)
- Jennifer M. Foyle, Global Brand President — aerie (Age 50)
- Charles F. Kessler, Global Brand President – American Eagle Outfitters (Age 44)
- Michael R. Rempell, Chief Operations Officer, Executive Vice President (Age 43)
- James H. Keefer Jr., Chief Accounting Officer, Vice President, Controller (Age 38)
- Thomas R. Ketteler, Independent Director (Age 74)
- Cary D. McMillan, Independent Director (Age 59)
- Janice E. Page, Independent Director (Age 68)
- David M. Sable, Independent Director (Age 63)
Who owns American Eagle Outfitters stock?
American Eagle Outfitters' stock is owned by a variety of of retail and institutional investors. Top institutional shareholders include Dalton Greiner Hartman Maher & Co. (1.44%), Adams Asset Advisors LLC (0.28%), Gateway Investment Advisers LLC (0.22%), BLB&B Advisors LLC (0.05%) and Bank of Montreal Can (0.05%). Company insiders that own American Eagle Outfitters stock include Charles F Kessler, Jennifer M Foyle and Michael R Rempell. View Institutional Ownership Trends for American Eagle Outfitters.
Who sold American Eagle Outfitters stock? Who is selling American Eagle Outfitters stock?
Who bought American Eagle Outfitters stock? Who is buying American Eagle Outfitters stock?
How do I buy American Eagle Outfitters stock?
Shares of American Eagle Outfitters can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages with access to the U.S. stock market include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is American Eagle Outfitters' stock price today?
One share of American Eagle Outfitters stock can currently be purchased for approximately $17.89.
How big of a company is American Eagle Outfitters?
American Eagle Outfitters has a market capitalization of $3.17 billion and generates $3.61 billion in revenue each year. The apparel retailer earns $212.44 million in net income (profit) each year or $0.91 on an earnings per share basis. American Eagle Outfitters employs 38,700 workers across the globe.
How can I contact American Eagle Outfitters?
American Eagle Outfitters' mailing address is 77 Hot Metal St, PITTSBURGH, PA 15203-2382, United States. The apparel retailer can be reached via phone at +1-412-4323300.
MarketBeat Community Rating for American Eagle Outfitters (AEO)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about American Eagle Outfitters and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe the stock will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe the stock will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.
American Eagle Outfitters (NYSE:AEO) Analysts' Consensus Rating (How are Consensus Ratings Calculated?)
MarketBeat calculates consensus analyst ratings for company stocks using the most recent rating from each brokerage that has rated a stock within the last twelve months. Since brokers often use different ratings systems, each rating is normalized to a standardized rating score of 1 (sell), 2 (hold), 3 (buy) or 4 (strong buy). Analyst consensus ratings scores are calculated using the mean average of the number of normalized sell, hold, buy and strong buy ratings from Wall Street analysts. Each stock's consensus analyst rating is derived from its calculated consensus ratings score (0-1.5 = Sell, 1.5-2.5 = Hold, 2.5-3.5 = Buy, >3.5 = Strong Buy). MarketBeat's consensus price targets are a mean average of the most recent available price targets set by each analyst that has set a price target for the stock in the last twelve months.
MarketBeat will no longer include ratings and price target data in its consensus calculation if a broker drops coverage and MarketBeat has received a report that coverage was dropped. Ratings from certain research firms that issue ratings using purely quantitative methods (such as Zacks, Vetr and ValuEngine) are not included in consensus calculations. MarketBeat's consensus ratings and consensus price targets may differ from those calculated by other firms due to differences in methodology and available data.
|Today||30 Days Ago||90 Days Ago||180 Days Ago|
|Consensus Rating: ||Hold||Hold||Hold||Hold|
|Consensus Rating Score: ||2.41||2.39||2.30||2.29|
|Ratings Breakdown: ||2 Sell Rating(s)|
6 Hold Rating(s)
9 Buy Rating(s)
0 Strong Buy Rating(s)
|2 Sell Rating(s)|
7 Hold Rating(s)
9 Buy Rating(s)
0 Strong Buy Rating(s)
|3 Sell Rating(s)|
8 Hold Rating(s)
9 Buy Rating(s)
0 Strong Buy Rating(s)
|3 Sell Rating(s)|
9 Hold Rating(s)
9 Buy Rating(s)
0 Strong Buy Rating(s)
|Consensus Price Target: ||$16.19||$15.33||$14.76||$15.79|
|Price Target Upside: ||7.55% downside||7.07% downside||3.24% upside||34.92% upside|
American Eagle Outfitters (NYSE:AEO) Consensus Price Target History
American Eagle Outfitters (NYSE:AEO) Analyst Ratings History
(Data available from 1/17/2016 forward)
American Eagle Outfitters (NYSE:AEO) Earnings History and Estimates Chart
American Eagle Outfitters (NYSE AEO) Earnings History by Quarter
(Earnings results data provided by Zacks Investment Research)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|12/6/2017||Q3 17||$0.39||$0.37||$960.86 million||$960.00 million||View||Listen|
|8/23/2017||Q2 2018||$0.16||$0.19||$823.84 million||$845.00 million||View||N/A|
|5/17/2017||Q1 17||$0.17||$0.16||$741.76 million||$761.80 million||View||N/A|
|3/1/2017||Q416||$0.38||$0.39||$1.11 billion||$1.10 billion||View||Listen|
|11/30/2016||Q316||$0.41||$0.41||$940.94 million||$941.00 million||View||N/A|
|8/17/2016||Q216||$0.21||$0.23||$818.10 million||$823.00 million||View||Listen|
|5/18/2016||Q116||$0.18||$0.22||$732.84 million||$749.00 million||View||Listen|
|3/2/2016||Q415||$0.42||$0.42||$1.12 billion||$1.11 billion||View||N/A|
|12/2/2015||Q315||$0.34||$0.35||$924.38 million||$919.00 million||View||N/A|
|8/19/2015||Q215||$0.14||$0.17||$768.26 million||$797.00 million||View||Listen|
|5/20/2015||Q115||$0.12||$0.15||$691.77 million||$700.00 million||View||Listen|
|3/4/2015||Q414||$0.34||$0.36||$1.06 billion||$1.07 billion||View||N/A|
|12/4/2014||Q314||$0.22||$0.22||$846.40 million||$854.30 million||View||N/A|
|8/20/2014||Q214||$0.03||$689.95 million||$711.00 million||View||N/A|
|5/21/2014||Q114||$0.02||$648.73 million||$646.00 million||View||N/A|
|3/11/2014||Q413||$0.26||$0.27||$1.05 billion||$1.04 billion||View||N/A|
|12/6/2013||Q3||$0.19||$0.19||$844.76 million||$857.00 million||View||Listen|
|8/21/2013||Q2 2013||$0.10||$0.10||$719.25 million||$727.00 million||View||Listen|
|5/22/2013||Q1 2013||$0.17||$0.18||$678.41 million||$679.00 million||View||Listen|
|3/6/2013||Q4 2012||$0.56||$0.55||$1.12 billion||$1.12 billion||View||Listen|
American Eagle Outfitters (NYSE:AEO) Earnings Estimates
2018 EPS Consensus Estimate: $1.15
2019 EPS Consensus Estimate: $1.27
(Earnings estimates data provided by Zacks Investment Research)
|Quarter||Number of Estimates||Low Estimate||High Estimate||Average Estimate|
American Eagle Outfitters (NYSE:AEO) Dividend Information
|Most Recent Dividend:||12/29/2017|
|Dividend Growth:||0.00% (3 Year Average)|
|Payout Ratio:||54.95% (Trailing 12 Months of Earnings) |
43.10% (Based on This Year's Estimates)
37.59% (Based on Next Year's Estimates)
American Eagle Outfitters (NYSE:AEO) Dividend History by Quarter
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Announced||Period||Amount||Yield||Ex-Dividend Date||Record Date||Payable Date|
American Eagle Outfitters (NYSE AEO) Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History
Insider Ownership Percentage: 5.90%
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 83.24%
American Eagle Outfitters (NYSE AEO) Insider Trades by Quarter
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Shares Held After Transaction||Details|
|9/27/2017||Jennifer M Foyle||Insider||Sell||13,500||$14.22||$191,970.00||27,531|| |
|9/2/2016||Michael R Rempell||COO||Sell||50,826||$18.84||$957,561.84||106,077|| |
|8/18/2016||Michael R Rempell||COO||Sell||83,141||$18.68||$1,553,073.88||196,868|| |
|5/23/2016||Charles F Kessler||Insider||Sell||4,784||$15.85||$75,826.40||19,325|| |
|5/20/2016||Jennifer M Foyle||Insider||Sell||13,568||$15.72||$213,288.96||10,532|| |
|1/22/2016||Michael R. Rempell||COO||Sell||30,823||$15.00||$462,345.00||100,365|| |
|1/11/2016||Jay L Schottenstein||CEO||Buy||164,257||$13.22||$2,171,477.54||969,995|| |
|9/14/2015||Jay L Schottenstein||CEO||Buy||500,000||$15.74||$7,870,000.00||969,995|| |
|6/10/2015||Cary D Mcmillan||Director||Buy||6,000||$16.86||$101,160.00|| |
|4/2/2015||Janice E Page||Director||Sell||3,103||$16.98||$52,688.94|| |
|3/6/2015||Jennifer M Foyle||Insider||Sell||6,000||$16.71||$100,260.00|| |
|1/21/2015||Cary D Mcmillan||Director||Buy||1,100||$13.77||$15,147.00|| |
|9/25/2014||Jay L Schottenstein||CEO||Buy||351,058||$14.63||$5,135,978.54|| |
|9/24/2014||Jay L Schottenstein||CEO||Buy||206,711||$14.75||$3,048,987.25|| |
|9/22/2014||Jay L Schottenstein||CEO||Buy||148,942||$14.13||$2,104,550.46|| |
|9/18/2014||Scott M Hurd||Insider||Sell||10,000||$14.25||$142,500.00|| |
|9/17/2014||Simon R Nankervis||EVP||Sell||3,652||$14.16||$51,712.32|| |
|3/14/2014||Cary Mcmillan||Director||Buy||1,700||$12.80||$21,760.00||9,893|| |
|3/14/2014||Jennifer Foyle||EVP||Sell||10,243||$12.91||$132,237.13|| |
|1/24/2014||Jay Schottenstein||Chairman||Buy||500,000||$12.84||$6,420,000.00||938,091|| |
|1/24/2014||Noel Joseph Spiegel||Director||Buy||5,000||$13.21||$66,050.00||15,000|| |
|9/18/2013||Michael Rempell||COO||Sell||40,000||$15.24||$609,600.00||60,745|| |
|9/16/2013||Noel Joseph Spiegel||Director||Buy||5,000||$14.89||$74,450.00||15,000|| |
|6/10/2013||Dennis R Parodi||EVP||Sell||54,464||$19.75||$1,075,664.00|| |
|5/28/2013||Dennis R Parodi||EVP||Sell||45,002||$19.92||$896,439.84|| |
|3/12/2013||Roger S Markfield||Insider||Sell||92,976||$20.63||$1,918,094.88|| |
|3/11/2013||Cary D Mcmillan||Director||Sell||10,000||$20.76||$207,600.00|| |
American Eagle Outfitters (NYSE AEO) News Headlines
American Eagle Outfitters (NYSE:AEO) SEC Filings
This page is loading this company's SEC Filings. Please wait...
American Eagle Outfitters (NYSE:AEO) Income Statement, Balance Sheet and Cash Flow Statement
American Eagle Outfitters (NYSE AEO) Stock Chart for Wednesday, January, 17, 2018