About Target (NYSE:TGT)
Target Corporation (Target) is a general merchandise retailer selling products through its stores and digital channels. Its general merchandise stores offer an edited food assortment, including perishables, dry grocery, dairy and frozen items. Its digital channels include a range of general merchandise, including a range of items found in its stores, along with an assortment, such as additional sizes and colors sold only online. Its owned brands include Archer Farms, Market Pantry, Sutton & Dodge, Art Class, Merona, Threshold, Ava & Viv, Pillowfort, Room Essentials, Wine Cube, Cat & Jack, Simply Balanced and Wondershop. Its exclusive brands include C9 by Champion, Hand Made Modern, Mossimo, DENIZEN from Levi's, Nate Berkus for Target, Fieldcrest, Kid Made Modern, Genuine Kids from OshKosh and Liz Lange for Target. As of January 28, 2017, the Company had 1,802 stores across the United States, including 1,535 owned stores, 107 leased stores and 160 owned buildings on leased land.
Industry, Sector and Symbol
Industry Discount Stores
Sub-IndustryGeneral Merchandise Stores
Trailing P/E Ratio12.87
Forward P/E Ratio13.80
Sales & Book Value
Annual Sales$69.50 billion
Price / Sales0.49
Cash Flow$9.42 per share
Price / Cash6.65
Book Value$20.49 per share
Price / Book3.06
Net Income$2.74 billion
Return on Equity24.09%
Return on Assets6.97%
Target (NYSE:TGT) Frequently Asked Questions
What is Target's stock symbol?
Target trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "TGT."
How often does Target pay dividends? What is the dividend yield for Target?
Target declared a quarterly dividend on Thursday, September 21st. Investors of record on Wednesday, November 15th will be paid a dividend of $0.62 per share on Sunday, December 10th. This represents a $2.48 dividend on an annualized basis and a yield of 3.96%. The ex-dividend date of this dividend is Tuesday, November 14th. View Target's Dividend History.
How were Target's earnings last quarter?
Target Co. (NYSE:TGT) issued its quarterly earnings results on Wednesday, November, 15th. The retailer reported $0.91 earnings per share (EPS) for the quarter, topping the consensus estimate of $0.86 by $0.05. The retailer earned $16.67 billion during the quarter, compared to analysts' expectations of $16.61 billion. Target had a return on equity of 24.09% and a net margin of 3.80%. The firm's revenue for the quarter was up 1.4% compared to the same quarter last year. During the same period last year, the business earned $1.04 earnings per share. View Target's Earnings History.
When will Target make its next earnings announcement?
What guidance has Target issued on next quarter's earnings?
Target issued an update on its fourth quarter earnings guidance on Wednesday, November, 15th. The company provided earnings per share (EPS) guidance of $1.05-1.25 for the period, compared to the Thomson Reuters consensus estimate of $1.24.
Where is Target's stock going? Where will Target's stock price be in 2017?
23 brokers have issued twelve-month price objectives for Target's stock. Their forecasts range from $45.00 to $85.00. On average, they anticipate Target's share price to reach $63.48 in the next year. View Analyst Ratings for Target.
What are Wall Street analysts saying about Target stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Target stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Target’s initiatives such as the development of omni-channel capacities, diversification and localization of assortments along with emphasis on flexible format stores bode well for the stock that outpaced the industry in the past six months. Management plans to expand its merchandise assortments with special emphasis on Style, Baby, Kids, and Wellness categories that are performing well. Moreover, Target is also concentrating on rationalization of supply chain, technology and process improvements. These initiatives helped it to continue with its upbeat performance in fiscal 2017 as reflected from impressive second-quarter results and an encouraging earnings outlook. These endeavours are also important due to changing retail landscape that encompasses increasing online penetration and aggressive pricing that may hurt sales and margins. The company expects fiscal 2017 comparable sales growth to be in a range around flat, plus or minus 1%." (10/23/2017)
- 2. Stifel Nicolaus analysts commented, "Earlier today Target Corporation reported results largely inline with negatively preannounced levels but most notably issued first-time 2017 guidance meaningfully below consensus. The company anticipates comparable store sales to decline in the low-single-digits, with adjusted EPS of $3.80-$4.20, compared to consensus coming into today of 0.4% comp store sales growth and EPS of $5.32. The cut reflects a meaningful change in business model, including considerable investment in gross margin and exclusive physical and digital assets, in total negatively impacting EBIT by $1.0bn in 2017, compared to $5.0bn of EBIT in 2016." (3/1/2017)
- 3. Instinet analysts commented, "seismic shift"Analyst Jessica Schoen Mace commented, "Today we attended Target's 2017 Financial Community in NYC where mgmt. set the stage for a multiphase, multi-year transition for the business which involves investment in price, stores, brands and supply chain, and is expected to have a $1bn negative impact on EBIT in 2017. Management acknowledged the "seismic" shift occurring in retail, and appears to be embracing a new reality with its strategies. Our near- and medium-term concerns include: the absence of a timeframe for this transformation to take place and the reliance on price to drive traffic in light of very priced-focused competition. While this may be a case of short-term pain for long-term gain, we remain unclear on the path to profitable market-share gains across both channels following this reset. We lower our FY17 EPS to $4.00 and our target price to $60." (3/1/2017)
- 4. Jefferies Group LLC analysts commented, "There was a certain familiarity with TGT's actions today and resulting share price decline. WMT had a similar event in the fall of 2015. While there are similarities, there are also clear differences in the strategies and we think change at WMT was greater. Nonetheless, TGT is planning constructive changes through store remodels, price strategy changes, new brands, supply chain optimization and cost reductions." (3/1/2017)
- 5. Cowen Inc analysts commented, "TGT is now reimagining, repositioning, & reinventing retail as we believe customer changes are occurring faster than expected with high demands for ease, value, & inspiration. Significant price investment, store remodels and small format growth, a smarter supply chain, & digital infrastructure growth are key long-view efforts." (2/28/2017)
Are investors shorting Target?
Target saw a increase in short interest in November. As of November 30th, there was short interest totalling 49,467,764 shares, an increase of 5.4% from the November 15th total of 52,275,552 shares. Based on an average trading volume of 10,084,903 shares, the short-interest ratio is presently 4.9 days. Currently, 9.1% of the company's stock are sold short.
Who are some of Target's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Target include Kering (PPRUY), TJX Companies (TJX), Wal-mart de Mexico S A B de C V (WMMVY), HENNES & MAURITZ (HNNMY), Compass Group (CMPGY), Ross Stores (ROST), Yum! Brands (YUM), Dollar Tree (DLTR), Tesco (TSCDY), Ctrip.Com International (CTRP), O'Reilly Automotive (ORLY), AutoZone (AZO), Carrefour (CRRFY), Yum China (YUMC), Fastenal (FAST), Restaurant Brands International (QSR), Zalando (ZLNDY) and GAP (GPS).
Who are Target's key executives?
Target's management team includes the folowing people:
- Brian C. Cornell, Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer (Age 58)
- Catherine R. Smith, Chief Financial Officer, Executive Vice President (Age 53)
- John J. Mulligan, Chief Operating Officer, Executive Vice President (Age 51)
- Stephanie A. Lundquist, Chief Human Resource Officer, Executive Vice President (Age 41)
- Michael Edward McNamara, Executive Vice President, Chief Information Officer (Age 52)
- Rick Gomez, Executive Vice President, Chief Marketing Officer (Age 47)
- Jacqueline Hourigan Rice, Executive Vice President, Chief Compliance Officer, Chief Risk Officer (Age 45)
- Don H. Liu J.D., Executive Vice President, Corporate Secretary, hief Legal Officer (Age 55)
- Casey L. Carl, Executive Vice President, Chief Strategy and Innovation Officer (Age 41)
- Minsok Pak, Executive Vice President, Chief Strategy and Innovation Officer
Who owns Target stock?
Target's stock is owned by a variety of of retail and institutional investors. Top institutional investors include Bank of New York Mellon Corp (1.78%), American Century Companies Inc. (0.96%), Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken AB publ (0.90%), Legal & General Group Plc (0.66%), Schwab Charles Investment Management Inc. (0.59%) and Dimensional Fund Advisors LP (0.58%). Company insiders that own Target stock include Anne M Mulcahy, Calvin Darden, Catherine R Smith, Cathy R Smith, Don H Liu, Donald R Knauss, Hourigan Rice Jacqueline, John J Mulligan, Laysha Ward, Robert M Harrison, Roxanne S Austin and Timothy R Baer. View Institutional Ownership Trends for Target.
Who sold Target stock? Who is selling Target stock?
Target's stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Stifel Financial Corp, Vaughan David Investments Inc. IL, Fayez Sarofim & Co., Payden & Rygel, Jennison Associates LLC, OxFORD Asset Management LLP, Symons Capital Management Inc. and WINTON GROUP Ltd. Company insiders that have sold Target company stock in the last year include Hourigan Rice Jacqueline and Robert M Harrison. View Insider Buying and Selling for Target.
Who bought Target stock? Who is buying Target stock?
Target's stock was acquired by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including American Century Companies Inc., Miller Howard Investments Inc. NY, Dimensional Fund Advisors LP, Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken AB publ, Bank of New York Mellon Corp, Robeco Institutional Asset Management B.V., Smead Capital Management Inc. and Great West Life Assurance Co. Can. Company insiders that have bought Target stock in the last two years include Catherine R Smith, Cathy R Smith, Don H Liu and Donald R Knauss. View Insider Buying and Selling for Target.
How do I buy Target stock?
Shares of Target can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages with access to the U.S. stock market include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is Target's stock price today?
One share of Target stock can currently be purchased for approximately $62.67.
How big of a company is Target?
Target has a market capitalization of $33.57 billion and generates $69.50 billion in revenue each year. The retailer earns $2.74 billion in net income (profit) each year or $4.78 on an earnings per share basis. Target employs 323,000 workers across the globe.
How can I contact Target?
Target's mailing address is 1000 NICOLLET MALL, MINNEAPOLIS MN, 55403. The retailer can be reached via phone at 612-304-6073 or via email at [email protected]
MarketBeat Community Rating for Target (TGT)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about Target and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe the stock will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe the stock will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.
Target (NYSE:TGT) Analysts' Consensus Rating (How are Consensus Ratings Calculated?)
MarketBeat calculates consensus analyst ratings for company stocks using the most recent rating from each brokerage that has rated a stock within the last twelve months. Since brokers often use different ratings systems, each rating is normalized to a standardized rating score of 1 (sell), 2 (hold), 3 (buy) or 4 (strong buy). Analyst consensus ratings scores are calculated using the mean average of the number of normalized sell, hold, buy and strong buy ratings from Wall Street analysts. Each stock's consensus analyst rating is derived from its calculated consensus ratings score (0-1.5 = Sell, 1.5-2.5 = Hold, 2.5-3.5 = Buy, >3.5 = Strong Buy). MarketBeat's consensus price targets are a mean average of the most recent available price targets set by each analyst that has set a price target for the stock in the last twelve months.
MarketBeat will no longer include ratings and price target data in its consensus calculation if a broker drops coverage and MarketBeat has received a report that coverage was dropped. Ratings from certain research firms that issue ratings using purely quantitative methods (such as Zacks, Vetr and ValuEngine) are not included in consensus calculations. MarketBeat's consensus ratings and consensus price targets may differ from those calculated by other firms due to differences in methodology and available data.
|Today||30 Days Ago||90 Days Ago||180 Days Ago|
|Consensus Rating: ||Hold||Hold||Hold||Hold|
|Consensus Rating Score: ||2.10||2.07||2.10||2.10|
|Ratings Breakdown: ||5 Sell Rating(s)|
16 Hold Rating(s)
8 Buy Rating(s)
0 Strong Buy Rating(s)
|5 Sell Rating(s)|
17 Hold Rating(s)
7 Buy Rating(s)
0 Strong Buy Rating(s)
|5 Sell Rating(s)|
17 Hold Rating(s)
8 Buy Rating(s)
0 Strong Buy Rating(s)
|6 Sell Rating(s)|
16 Hold Rating(s)
9 Buy Rating(s)
0 Strong Buy Rating(s)
|Consensus Price Target: ||$64.36||$64.64||$65.32||$66.88|
|Price Target Upside: ||8.15% upside||8.11% upside||9.76% upside||19.80% upside|
Target (NYSE:TGT) Consensus Price Target History
Target (NYSE:TGT) Analyst Ratings History
(Data available from 12/13/2015 forward)
Target (NYSE:TGT) Earnings History and Estimates Chart
Target (NYSE TGT) Earnings History by Quarter
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|11/15/2017||Q3 2018||$0.86||$0.91||$16.61 billion||$16.67 billion||View||N/A|
|8/16/2017||Q2 2018||$1.20||$1.23||$16.30 billion||$16.43 billion||View||N/A|
|5/17/2017||Q1 17||$0.91||$1.21||$15.63 billion||$16.02 billion||View||N/A|
|2/28/2017||Q416||$1.51||$1.45||$20.76 billion||$20.69 billion||View||N/A|
|11/16/2016||Q316||$0.83||$1.04||$16.30 billion||$16.44 billion||View||Listen|
|8/17/2016||Q216||$1.12||$1.23||$16.25 billion||$16.17 billion||View||Listen|
|5/18/2016||Q116||$1.19||$1.29||$16.31 billion||$16.20 billion||View||Listen|
|2/24/2016||Q415||$1.54||$1.52||$21.75 billion||$21.60 billion||View||Listen|
|11/18/2015||Q315||$0.86||$0.86||$17.57 billion||$17.60 billion||View||Listen|
|8/19/2015||Q215||$1.11||$1.22||$17.40 billion||$17.40 billion||View||Listen|
|5/20/2015||Q115||$1.03||$1.10||$17.09 billion||$17.12 billion||View||Listen|
|2/25/2015||Q414||$1.46||$1.50||$21.64 billion||$21.80 billion||View||Listen|
|11/19/2014||Q314||$0.47||$0.54||$17.56 billion||$17.73 billion||View||Listen|
|8/20/2014||Q214||$0.80||$0.78||$17.38 billion||$17.00 billion||View||Listen|
|5/21/2014||Q114||$0.71||$0.70||$17.02 billion||$17.05 billion||View||Listen|
|2/26/2014||Q413||$0.80||$1.30||$21.40 billion||$21.52 billion||View||Listen|
|11/21/2013||Q313||$0.63||$0.84||$17.38 billion||$17.26 billion||View||Listen|
|8/21/2013||Q2 2013||$0.96||$1.19||$17.26 billion||$17.12 billion||View||Listen|
|5/22/2013||Q1 2013||$0.87||$0.77||$16.82 billion||$16.60 billion||View||Listen|
|2/27/2013||Q4 2012||$1.48||$1.65||$22.66 billion||$22.37 billion||View||Listen|
|11/15/2012||Q312||$0.77||$0.90||$16.58 billion||$16.60 billion||View||N/A|
Target (NYSE:TGT) Earnings Estimates
2017 EPS Consensus Estimate: $5.22
2018 EPS Consensus Estimate: $4.26
2019 EPS Consensus Estimate: $4.28
(Data provided by Zacks Investment Research)
|Quarter||Number of Estimates||Low Estimate||High Estimate||Average Estimate|
Target (NYSE:TGT) Dividend Information
|Most Recent Dividend:||12/10/2017|
|Dividend Growth:||13.70% (3 Year Average)|
|Payout Ratio:||51.88% (Trailing 12 Months of Earnings) |
54.63% (Based on This Year's Estimates)
58.77% (Based on Next Year's Estimates)
|Track Record:||49 Years of Consecutive Dividend Growth|
Target (NYSE:TGT) Dividend History by Quarter
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Announced||Period||Amount||Yield||Ex-Dividend Date||Record Date||Payable Date|
Target (NYSE TGT) Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History
Insider Ownership Percentage: 0.20%
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 87.75%
Target (NYSE TGT) Insider Trades by Quarter
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Details|
|9/15/2017||Hourigan Rice Jacqueline||Insider||Sell||4,679||$59.37||$277,792.23|| |
|7/5/2017||Robert M. Harrison||Insider||Sell||2,639||$52.05||$137,359.95|| |
|3/9/2017||Donald R Knauss||Director||Buy||10,000||$54.86||$548,600.00|| |
|3/6/2017||Don H Liu||Insider||Buy||2,000||$57.00||$114,000.00|| |
|3/2/2017||Don H. Liu||Insider||Buy||2,000||$58.20||$116,400.00|| |
|3/1/2017||Cathy R. Smith||Insider||Buy||5,000||$58.95||$294,750.00|| |
|12/2/2016||Roxanne S. Austin||Director||Sell||3,957||$77.87||$308,131.59|| |
|11/17/2016||Anne M. Mulcahy||Director||Sell||3,957||$75.45||$298,555.65|| |
|5/20/2016||Catherine R Smith||Insider||Buy||5,000||$67.82||$339,100.00|| |
|5/19/2016||Calvin Darden||Director||Sell||37,105||$67.02||$2,486,777.10|| |
|3/16/2016||Robert M Harrison||CAO||Sell||822||$81.47||$66,968.34|| |
|3/16/2016||Timothy R Baer||Insider||Sell||23,782||$82.05||$1,951,313.10|| |
|3/15/2016||John J Mulligan||Insider||Sell||35,529||$81.57||$2,898,100.53|| |
|3/4/2016||Laysha Ward||Insider||Sell||51,082||$80.02||$4,087,581.64|| |
|1/13/2016||Robert M. Harrison||CAO||Sell||395||$72.63||$28,688.85|| |
|1/7/2016||Roxanne S. Austin||Director||Sell||3,706||$75.03||$278,061.18|| |
|12/3/2015||Anne M. Mulcahy||Director||Sell||3,706||$72.53||$268,796.18|| |
|11/20/2015||Robert L Edwards||Director||Buy||10,000||$71.10||$711,000.00|| |
|9/23/2015||Laysha Ward||Insider||Sell||5,199||$78.50||$408,121.50|| |
|7/17/2015||Timothy R Baer||Insider||Sell||49,889||$84.86||$4,233,580.54|| |
|4/7/2015||Jeffrey J Jones II||Insider||Sell||12,000||$83.39||$1,000,680.00|| |
|3/27/2015||Kathryn A Tesija||Insider||Sell||269,091||$80.82||$21,747,934.62|| |
|3/26/2015||Tina M Tyler||Insider||Sell||10,057||$80.74||$812,002.18|| |
|3/25/2015||Timothy R Baer||Insider||Sell||98,166||$81.69||$8,019,180.54|| |
|3/23/2015||Jeffrey J Jones II||Insider||Sell||19,000||$81.64||$1,551,160.00|| |
|3/5/2015||James A /Dc/ Johnson||Director||Sell||13,556||$78.07||$1,058,316.92|| |
|12/2/2014||Tina M Schiel||Insider||Sell||59,668||$72.82||$4,345,023.76|| |
|11/21/2014||Calvin Darden||Director||Sell||8,093||$71.29||$576,949.97|| |
|11/21/2014||Laysha Ward||Insider||Sell||6,948||$71.34||$495,670.32|| |
|10/2/2014||Kathryn A Tesija||Insider||Sell||40,353||$62.19||$2,509,553.07|| |
|9/26/2014||Timothy R Baer||Insider||Sell||13,086||$63.07||$825,334.02|| |
|9/24/2014||Laysha Ward||Insider||Sell||5,380||$63.73||$342,867.40|| |
|9/16/2014||Jodee A Kozlak||Insider||Sell||60,385||$62.43||$3,769,835.55|| |
|8/28/2014||Calvin Darden||Director||Sell||4,042||$60.28||$243,651.76|| |
|8/21/2014||Tina M Schiel||Insider||Sell||10,706||$60.48||$647,498.88|| |
|6/2/2014||Roxanne S Austin||Director||Buy||10,000||$56.78||$567,800.00|| |
|11/29/2013||Anthony Fisher||Insider||Sell||4,415||$63.93||$282,250.95|| |
|11/22/2013||James /Dc/ Johnson||Director||Sell||10,458||$63.92||$668,475.36|| |
|9/13/2013||Kathryn Tesija||Insider||Sell||206,793||$63.75||$13,183,053.75|| |
|6/5/2013||Laysha Ward||Insider||Sell||2,277||$70.34||$160,164.18|| |
|6/4/2013||Jodee A Kozlak||Insider||Sell||67,455||$72.00||$4,856,760.00|| |
|5/31/2013||John J Mulligan||Insider||Sell||17,093||$69.91||$1,194,971.63|| |
|5/30/2013||Beth M Jacob||Insider||Sell||15,474||$70.32||$1,088,131.68|| |
|5/28/2013||Timothy R Baer||Insider||Sell||10,832||$70.51||$763,764.32|| |
|12/4/2012||Terrence J Scully||Insider||Sell||20,911||$61.95||$1,295,436.45|| |
|8/22/2012||Jodee A Kozlak||Insider||Sell||31,692||$64.20||$2,034,626.40|| |
Target (NYSE TGT) News Headlines
Target (NYSE:TGT) SEC Filings
This page is loading this company's SEC Filings. Please wait...
Target (NYSE:TGT) Income Statement, Balance Sheet and Cash Flow Statement
Target (NYSE TGT) Stock Chart for Wednesday, December, 13, 2017