Target Corporation (Target) is a general merchandise retailer selling products through its stores and digital channels. Its general merchandise stores offer an edited food assortment, including perishables, dry grocery, dairy and frozen items. Its digital channels include a range of general merchandise, including a range of items found in its stores, along with an assortment, such as additional sizes and colors sold only online. Its owned brands include Archer Farms, Market Pantry, Sutton & Dodge, Art Class, Merona, Threshold, Ava & Viv, Pillowfort, Room Essentials, Wine Cube, Cat & Jack, Simply Balanced and Wondershop. Its exclusive brands include C9 by Champion, Hand Made Modern, Mossimo, DENIZEN from Levi's, Nate Berkus for Target, Fieldcrest, Kid Made Modern, Genuine Kids from OshKosh and Liz Lange for Target. As of January 28, 2017, the Company had 1,802 stores across the United States, including 1,535 owned stores, 107 leased stores and 160 owned buildings on leased land.
Industry, Sector and Symbol:
- Sector: Retail/Wholesale
- Industry: Discount, Variety Stores
- Sub-Industry: General Merchandise Stores
- Symbol: NYSE:TGT
- CUSIP: 87612E10
- Web: www.targetcorp.com
- Market Cap: $28.0047 billion
- Outstanding Shares: 551,708,000
- 50 Day Moving Avg: $55.56
- 200 Day Moving Avg: $61.25
- 52 Week Range: $48.56 - $79.33
Sales & Book Value:
- Trailing P/E Ratio: 10.40
- Foreward P/E Ratio: 12.26
- P/E Growth: -2.85
- Annual Revenue: $69.32 billion
- Price / Sales: 0.40
- Book Value: $19.98 per share
- Price / Book: 2.54
- Annual Dividend: $2.40
- Dividend Yield: 4.7%
- EBIDTA: $7.2 billion
- Net Margins: 4.02%
- Return on Equity: 25.17%
- Return on Assets: 7.46%
- Debt-to-Equity Ratio: 1.01%
- Current Ratio: 0.95%
- Quick Ratio: 0.30%
- Average Volume: 7.76 million shs.
- Beta: 0.58
- Short Ratio: 3.71
Frequently Asked Questions for Target Corporation (NYSE:TGT)
What is Target Corporation's stock symbol?
Target Corporation trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "TGT."
How often does Target Corporation pay dividends? What is the dividend yield for Target Corporation?
Target Corporation announced a quarterly dividend on Wednesday, June 14th. Shareholders of record on Wednesday, August 16th will be paid a dividend of $0.62 per share on Sunday, September 10th. This represents a $2.48 annualized dividend and a dividend yield of 4.89%. The ex-dividend date is Monday, August 14th. This is an increase from Target Corporation's previous quarterly dividend of $0.60. View Target Corporation's Dividend History.
How were Target Corporation's earnings last quarter?
Target Corporation (NYSE:TGT) announced its earnings results on Wednesday, May, 17th. The company reported $1.21 earnings per share for the quarter, topping the consensus estimate of $0.91 by $0.30. The firm had revenue of $16.02 billion for the quarter, compared to analyst estimates of $15.63 billion. Target Corporation had a net margin of 4.02% and a return on equity of 25.17%. The company's revenue was down 1.1% compared to the same quarter last year. During the same period in the prior year, the company posted $1.29 earnings per share. View Target Corporation's Earnings History.
When will Target Corporation make its next earnings announcement?
What guidance has Target Corporation issued on next quarter's earnings?
Target Corporation updated its second quarter earnings guidance on Wednesday, May, 17th. The company provided EPS guidance of 0.95-1.15 for the period, compared to the Thomson Reuters consensus EPS estimate of $1.00. Target Corporation also updated its FY18 guidance to $3.80-4.20 EPS.
Where is Target Corporation's stock going? Where will Target Corporation's stock price be in 2017?
27 equities research analysts have issued 12 month price objectives for Target Corporation's stock. Their forecasts range from $28.00 to $87.00. On average, they expect Target Corporation's share price to reach $64.00 in the next twelve months. View Analyst Ratings for Target Corporation.
What are analysts saying about Target Corporation stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Target Corporation stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Target commenced fiscal 2017 on a high note with both top and bottom lines surpassing expectations. Better-than-expected results provided much needed impetus to the stock that came under pressure after dismal performance in the final quarter of fiscal 2016. The quarter did witness a sluggish start but it gradually picked up in the later part. We believe that the initiatives such as the development of omni-channel capacities, diversification and localization of assortments along with emphasis on flexible format stores, bode well. However, waning top and bottom lines continue to remain a concern. Moreover, management now expects low single digit decline in comparable sales during the second quarter and fiscal 2017. Further, it now envisions fiscal 2017 adjusted earnings to come ahead of the midpoint of the previous guidance range but still down from the prior year." (6/6/2017)
- 2. Stifel Nicolaus analysts commented, "Earlier today Target Corporation reported results largely inline with negatively preannounced levels but most notably issued first-time 2017 guidance meaningfully below consensus. The company anticipates comparable store sales to decline in the low-single-digits, with adjusted EPS of $3.80-$4.20, compared to consensus coming into today of 0.4% comp store sales growth and EPS of $5.32. The cut reflects a meaningful change in business model, including considerable investment in gross margin and exclusive physical and digital assets, in total negatively impacting EBIT by $1.0bn in 2017, compared to $5.0bn of EBIT in 2016." (3/1/2017)
- 3. Instinet analysts commented, "seismic shift"Analyst Jessica Schoen Mace commented, "Today we attended Target's 2017 Financial Community in NYC where mgmt. set the stage for a multiphase, multi-year transition for the business which involves investment in price, stores, brands and supply chain, and is expected to have a $1bn negative impact on EBIT in 2017. Management acknowledged the "seismic" shift occurring in retail, and appears to be embracing a new reality with its strategies. Our near- and medium-term concerns include: the absence of a timeframe for this transformation to take place and the reliance on price to drive traffic in light of very priced-focused competition. While this may be a case of short-term pain for long-term gain, we remain unclear on the path to profitable market-share gains across both channels following this reset. We lower our FY17 EPS to $4.00 and our target price to $60." (3/1/2017)
- 4. Jefferies Group LLC analysts commented, "There was a certain familiarity with TGT's actions today and resulting share price decline. WMT had a similar event in the fall of 2015. While there are similarities, there are also clear differences in the strategies and we think change at WMT was greater. Nonetheless, TGT is planning constructive changes through store remodels, price strategy changes, new brands, supply chain optimization and cost reductions." (3/1/2017)
- 5. Cowen and Company analysts commented, "TGT is now reimagining, repositioning, & reinventing retail as we believe customer changes are occurring faster than expected with high demands for ease, value, & inspiration. Significant price investment, store remodels and small format growth, a smarter supply chain, & digital infrastructure growth are key long-view efforts." (2/28/2017)
Are investors shorting Target Corporation?
Target Corporation saw a decline in short interest during the month of May. As of May 31st, there was short interest totalling 34,925,827 shares, a decline of 6.5% from the May 15th total of 37,361,020 shares. Based on an average daily volume of 9,620,953 shares, the short-interest ratio is presently 3.6 days. Currently, 6.3% of the company's shares are sold short.
Who are some of Target Corporation's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Target Corporation include TJX Companies, Inc. (The) (TJX), Kering Unspon (PPRUY), Wal-Mart de Mexico SAB de CV (WMMVY), eBay (EBAY), Inditex (IDEXY), Compass Group plc (CMPGY), Hennes & Mauritz AB (HNNMY), Yum! Brands (YUM), Expedia (EXPE), O'Reilly Automotive (ORLY), Dollar General Corporation (DG), Carrefour Sa Spon (CRRFY), Ulta Beauty (ULTA), Tesco PLC (TSCDY), Koninklijke Ahold Delhaize NV (AHONY), Best Buy Co. (BBY), Dollar Tree (DLTR) and L Brands (LB).
Who are Target Corporation's key executives?
Target Corporation's management team includes the folowing people:
- Brian C. Cornell, Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer
- Catherine R. Smith, Chief Financial Officer, Executive Vice President
- John J. Mulligan, Chief Operating Officer, Executive Vice President
- Stephanie A. Lundquist, Chief Human Resource Officer, Executive Vice President
- Michael Edward McNamara, Executive Vice President, Chief Information Officer
- Rick Gomez, Executive Vice President, Chief Marketing Officer
- Jacqueline Hourigan Rice, Executive Vice President, Chief Compliance Officer, Chief Risk Officer
- Don H. Liu J.D., Executive Vice President, Corporate Secretary, hief Legal Officer
- Casey L. Carl, Executive Vice President, Chief Strategy and Innovation Officer
- Janna A. Potts, Executive Vice President, Chief Stores Officer
Who owns Target Corporation stock?
Target Corporation's stock is owned by many different of retail and institutional investors. Top institutional shareholders include State Street Corp (9.26%), BlackRock Inc. (8.51%), Vanguard Group Inc. (6.70%), FMR LLC (2.13%), Barrow Hanley Mewhinney & Strauss LLC (1.87%) and Bank of New York Mellon Corp (1.73%). Company insiders that own Target Corporation stock include Anne M Mulcahy, Calvin Darden, Catherine R Smith, Cathy R Smith, Don H Liu, Donald R Knauss, John J Mulligan, Laysha Ward, Robert L Edwards, Robert M Harrison, Roxanne S Austin and Timothy R Baer. View Institutional Ownership Trends for Target Corporation.
Who sold Target Corporation stock? Who is selling Target Corporation stock?
Target Corporation's stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including JPMorgan Chase & Co., Vanguard Group Inc., FMR LLC, Renaissance Technologies LLC, TIAA CREF Investment Management LLC, Levin Capital Strategies L.P., Principal Financial Group Inc. and Bahl & Gaynor Inc.. Company insiders that have sold Target Corporation stock in the last year include Anne M Mulcahy and Roxanne S Austin. View Insider Buying and Selling for Target Corporation.
Who bought Target Corporation stock? Who is buying Target Corporation stock?
Target Corporation's stock was purchased by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including BlackRock Inc., Barrow Hanley Mewhinney & Strauss LLC, Bank of New York Mellon Corp, Schroder Investment Management Group, Geode Capital Management LLC, OppenheimerFunds Inc., Swiss National Bank and O Shaughnessy Asset Management LLC. Company insiders that have bought Target Corporation stock in the last two years include Catherine R Smith, Cathy R Smith, Don H Liu, Donald R Knauss and Robert L Edwards. View Insider Buying and Selling for Target Corporation.
How do I buy Target Corporation stock?
Shares of Target Corporation can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is Target Corporation's stock price today?
MarketBeat Community Rating for Target Corporation (NYSE TGT)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about Target Corporation and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe the stock will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe the stock will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.
One share of Target Corporation stock can currently be purchased for approximately $50.76.
Consensus Ratings for Target Corporation (NYSE:TGT) (How are Consensus Ratings Calculated?)
MarketBeat calculates consensus ratings using the most recent rating from each brokerage that has rated a stock within the last twelve months. Since brokers often use different ratings systems, each rating is normalized to a standardized rating score of 1 (sell), 2 (hold), 3 (buy) or 4 (strong buy). Consensus ratings scores are calculated using the mean average of the number of normalized sell, hold, buy and strong buy ratings. Each stock's consensus rating is derived from its calculated consensus ratings score (0-1.5 = Sell, 1.5-2.5 = Hold, 2.5-3.5 = Buy, >3.5 = Strong Buy). MarketBeat's consensus price targets are a mean average of the most recent available price targets set by each analyst that has set a price target for the stock in the last twelve months.
MarketBeat will no longer include ratings and price target data in its consensus calculation if a broker drops coverage and MarketBeat has received a report that coverage was dropped. Ratings from certain research firms that issue ratings using purely quantitative methods (such as Zacks, Vetr and ValuEngine) are not included in consensus calculations. MarketBeat's consensus ratings and consensus price targets may differ from those calculated by other firms due to differences in methodology and available data.
|Ratings Breakdown: ||6 Sell Ratings, 15 Hold Ratings, 6 Buy Ratings|
|Consensus Rating:||Hold (Score: 2.00)|
|Consensus Price Target: ||$64.00 (26.08% upside)|
Analysts' Ratings History for Target Corporation (NYSE:TGT)
(Data available from 6/25/2015 forward)
|Date||Firm||Action||Rating||Price Target||Impact on Share Price||Details|
|6/21/2017||Citigroup Inc||Downgrade||Buy -> Neutral||$51.00 -> $56.00||Low|
|6/20/2017||Jefferies Group LLC||Reiterated Rating||Hold||$59.00||Low|
|5/19/2017||Deutsche Bank AG||Reiterated Rating||Hold||$55.00 -> $59.00||Low|
|5/18/2017||Telsey Advisory Group||Boost Price Target||Market Perform -> Market Perform||$58.00 -> $60.00||Low|
|5/9/2017||Gordon Haskett||Initiated Coverage||Sell||$52.72 -> $47.00||Low|
|4/19/2017||Buckingham Research||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$71.00||Low|
|3/5/2017||BMO Capital Markets||Reiterated Rating||Market Weight||$74.00 -> $60.00||N/A|
|3/1/2017||Barclays PLC||Lower Price Target||Underweight -> Underweight||$60.00 -> $50.00||N/A|
|3/1/2017||Stifel Nicolaus||Lower Price Target||Hold||$72.00 -> $58.00||N/A|
|3/1/2017||Wolfe Research||Downgrade||Peer Perform -> Underperform||N/A|
|3/1/2017||Instinet||Lower Price Target||$60.00||N/A|
|3/1/2017||Cowen and Company||Lower Price Target||$64.00||N/A|
|3/1/2017||Morgan Stanley||Lower Price Target||Underweight||$65.00 -> $52.00||N/A|
|3/1/2017||Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (The)||Set Price Target||Sell||$67.00 -> $53.00||N/A|
|2/28/2017||UBS Group AG||Reiterated Rating||Neutral||$72.00||N/A|
|2/10/2017||Susquehanna Bancshares Inc||Initiated Coverage||Neutral||$70.00 -> $70.00||N/A|
|2/6/2017||Sanford C. Bernstein||Initiated Coverage||Outperform||$77.00||N/A|
|1/20/2017||Credit Suisse Group||Downgrade||Neutral -> Sell||$77.00 -> $67.00||N/A|
|1/19/2017||MKM Partners||Reiterated Rating||Neutral||$77.00 -> $70.00||N/A|
|1/19/2017||BTIG Research||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$85.00 -> $77.00||N/A|
|12/28/2016||J P Morgan Chase & Co||Reiterated Rating||Neutral||$78.00||N/A|
|10/8/2016||Brean Capital||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$28.00||N/A|
|8/17/2016||Piper Jaffray Companies||Reiterated Rating||Overweight||$86.00||N/A|
|8/17/2016||Edward Jones||Downgrade||Buy -> Hold||N/A|
|7/29/2016||Miller Tabak||Initiated Coverage||Buy||$87.00||N/A|
|5/16/2016||Robert W. Baird||Reiterated Rating||Hold||$75.00||N/A|
|5/16/2016||Sterne Agee CRT||Reiterated Rating||Neutral||N/A|
|5/11/2016||Cleveland Research||Downgrade||Buy -> Neutral||N/A|
|4/15/2016||Bank of America Corporation||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$95.00||N/A|
|2/26/2016||Wells Fargo & Company||Reiterated Rating||Outperform||N/A|
Earnings History for Target Corporation (NYSE:TGT)Earnings History by Quarter for Target Corporation (NYSE TGT)
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|8/16/2017|| || || || || || || || |
|5/17/2017||Q1 17||$0.91||$1.21||$15.63 billion||$16.02 billion||View||N/A|
|2/28/2017||Q416||$1.51||$1.45||$20.76 billion||$20.69 billion||View||N/A|
|11/16/2016||Q316||$0.83||$1.04||$16.30 billion||$16.44 billion||View||Listen|
|8/17/2016||Q216||$1.12||$1.23||$16.25 billion||$16.17 billion||View||Listen|
|5/18/2016||Q116||$1.19||$1.29||$16.31 billion||$16.20 billion||View||Listen|
|2/24/2016||Q415||$1.54||$1.52||$21.75 billion||$21.60 billion||View||Listen|
|11/18/2015||Q315||$0.86||$0.86||$17.57 billion||$17.60 billion||View||Listen|
|8/19/2015||Q215||$1.11||$1.22||$17.40 billion||$17.40 billion||View||Listen|
|5/20/2015||Q115||$1.03||$1.10||$17.09 billion||$17.12 billion||View||Listen|
|2/25/2015||Q414||$1.46||$1.50||$21.64 billion||$21.80 billion||View||Listen|
|11/19/2014||Q314||$0.47||$0.54||$17.56 billion||$17.73 billion||View||Listen|
|8/20/2014||Q214||$0.80||$0.78||$17.38 billion||$17.00 billion||View||Listen|
|5/21/2014||Q114||$0.71||$0.70||$17.02 billion||$17.05 billion||View||Listen|
|2/26/2014||Q413||$0.80||$1.30||$21.40 billion||$21.52 billion||View||Listen|
|11/21/2013||Q313||$0.63||$0.84||$17.38 billion||$17.26 billion||View||Listen|
|8/21/2013||Q2 2013||$0.96||$1.19||$17.26 billion||$17.12 billion||View||Listen|
|5/22/2013||Q1 2013||$0.87||$0.77||$16.82 billion||$16.60 billion||View||Listen|
|2/27/2013||Q4 2012||$1.48||$1.65||$22.66 billion||$22.37 billion||View||Listen|
|11/15/2012||Q312||$0.77||$0.90||$16.58 billion||$16.60 billion||View||N/A|
Earnings Estimates for Target Corporation (NYSE:TGT)
2017 EPS Consensus Estimate: $5.22
2018 EPS Consensus Estimate: $3.95
(Data provided by Zacks Investment Research)
|Quarter||Number of Estimates||Low Estimate||High Estimate||Average Estimate|
Current Dividend Information for Target Corporation (NYSE:TGT)
|Dividend Growth:||13.70% (3 Year Average)|
|Payout Ratio:||48.98% (Trailing 12 Months of Earnings) |
57.69% (Based on This Year's Estimates)
57.97% (Based on Next Year's Estimates)
|Track Record:||49 Years of Consecutive Dividend Growth|
Dividend History by Quarter for Target Corporation (NYSE TGT)
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Announced||Period||Amount||Yield||Ex-Dividend Date||Record Date||Payable Date|
Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History for Target Corporation (NYSE:TGT)
Insider Ownership Percentage: 0.25%Insider Trades by Quarter for Target Corporation (NYSE:TGT)
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 83.00%
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Details|
|3/9/2017||Donald R Knauss||Director||Buy||10,000||$54.86||$548,600.00|| |
|3/6/2017||Don H Liu||Insider||Buy||2,000||$57.00||$114,000.00|| |
|3/2/2017||Don H. Liu||Insider||Buy||2,000||$58.20||$116,400.00|| |
|3/1/2017||Cathy R. Smith||Insider||Buy||5,000||$58.95||$294,750.00|| |
|12/2/2016||Roxanne S. Austin||Director||Sell||3,957||$77.87||$308,131.59|| |
|11/17/2016||Anne M. Mulcahy||Director||Sell||3,957||$75.45||$298,555.65|| |
|5/20/2016||Catherine R Smith||Insider||Buy||5,000||$67.82||$339,100.00|| |
|5/19/2016||Calvin Darden||Director||Sell||37,105||$67.02||$2,486,777.10|| |
|3/16/2016||Robert M Harrison||CAO||Sell||822||$81.47||$66,968.34|| |
|3/16/2016||Timothy R Baer||Insider||Sell||23,782||$82.05||$1,951,313.10|| |
|3/15/2016||John J Mulligan||Insider||Sell||35,529||$81.57||$2,898,100.53|| |
|3/4/2016||Laysha Ward||Insider||Sell||51,082||$80.02||$4,087,581.64|| |
|1/13/2016||Robert M. Harrison||CAO||Sell||395||$72.63||$28,688.85|| |
|1/7/2016||Roxanne S. Austin||Director||Sell||3,706||$75.03||$278,061.18|| |
|12/3/2015||Anne M. Mulcahy||Director||Sell||3,706||$72.53||$268,796.18|| |
|11/20/2015||Robert L Edwards||Director||Buy||10,000||$71.10||$711,000.00|| |
|9/23/2015||Laysha Ward||Insider||Sell||5,199||$78.50||$408,121.50|| |
|7/17/2015||Timothy R Baer||Insider||Sell||49,889||$84.86||$4,233,580.54|| |
|4/7/2015||Jeffrey J Jones II||Insider||Sell||12,000||$83.39||$1,000,680.00|| |
|3/27/2015||Kathryn A Tesija||Insider||Sell||269,091||$80.82||$21,747,934.62|| |
|3/26/2015||Tina M Tyler||Insider||Sell||10,057||$80.74||$812,002.18|| |
|3/25/2015||Timothy R Baer||Insider||Sell||98,166||$81.69||$8,019,180.54|| |
|3/23/2015||Jeffrey J Jones II||Insider||Sell||19,000||$81.64||$1,551,160.00|| |
|3/5/2015||James A /Dc/ Johnson||Director||Sell||13,556||$78.07||$1,058,316.92|| |
|12/2/2014||Tina M Schiel||Insider||Sell||59,668||$72.82||$4,345,023.76|| |
|11/21/2014||Calvin Darden||Director||Sell||8,093||$71.29||$576,949.97|| |
|11/21/2014||Laysha Ward||Insider||Sell||6,948||$71.34||$495,670.32|| |
|10/2/2014||Kathryn A Tesija||Insider||Sell||40,353||$62.19||$2,509,553.07|| |
|9/26/2014||Timothy R Baer||Insider||Sell||13,086||$63.07||$825,334.02|| |
|9/24/2014||Laysha Ward||Insider||Sell||5,380||$63.73||$342,867.40|| |
|9/16/2014||Jodee A Kozlak||Insider||Sell||60,385||$62.43||$3,769,835.55|| |
|8/28/2014||Calvin Darden||Director||Sell||4,042||$60.28||$243,651.76|| |
|8/21/2014||Tina M Schiel||Insider||Sell||10,706||$60.48||$647,498.88|| |
|6/2/2014||Roxanne S Austin||Director||Buy||10,000||$56.78||$567,800.00|| |
|11/29/2013||Anthony Fisher||Insider||Sell||4,415||$63.93||$282,250.95|| |
|11/22/2013||James /Dc/ Johnson||Director||Sell||10,458||$63.92||$668,475.36|| |
|9/13/2013||Kathryn Tesija||Insider||Sell||206,793||$63.75||$13,183,053.75|| |
|6/5/2013||Laysha Ward||Insider||Sell||2,277||$70.34||$160,164.18|| |
|6/4/2013||Jodee A Kozlak||Insider||Sell||67,455||$72.00||$4,856,760.00|| |
|5/31/2013||John J Mulligan||Insider||Sell||17,093||$69.91||$1,194,971.63|| |
|5/30/2013||Beth M Jacob||Insider||Sell||15,474||$70.32||$1,088,131.68|| |
|5/28/2013||Timothy R Baer||Insider||Sell||10,832||$70.51||$763,764.32|| |
|12/4/2012||Terrence J Scully||Insider||Sell||20,911||$61.95||$1,295,436.45|| |
|8/22/2012||Jodee A Kozlak||Insider||Sell||31,692||$64.20||$2,034,626.40|| |
Headline Trends for Target Corporation (NYSE:TGT)
Latest Headlines for Target Corporation (NYSE:TGT)
Target Corporation (TGT) Chart for Sunday, June, 25, 2017