Dick's Sporting Goods, Inc. is an omni-channel sporting goods retailer offering an assortment of sports equipment, apparel, footwear and accessories in its specialty retail stores primarily in the eastern United States. The Company also owns and operates Golf Galaxy, Field & Stream and other specialty concept stores, and Dick's Team Sports HQ, an all-in-one youth sports digital platform offering free league management services, mobile applications for scheduling, communications and live scorekeeping, custom uniforms and FanWear and access to donations and sponsorships. The Company offers its products through a content-rich e-commerce platform that is integrated with its store network and provides customers with the convenience and expertise of a 24-hour storefront. It offers products to its customers through its retail stores and online. The Company offers hardlines, which include items, such as sporting goods equipment, fitness equipment, golf equipment, and hunting and fishing gear.
Industry, Sector and Symbol:
- Sector: Retail/Wholesale
- Industry: Sporting Goods Stores
- Sub-Industry: Specialty Stores
- Symbol: NYSE:DKS
- CUSIP: 25339310
- Web: www.dickssportinggoods.com
- Market Cap: $2.86 billion
- Outstanding Shares: 108,175,000
- 50 Day Moving Avg: $35.66
- 200 Day Moving Avg: $43.98
- 52 Week Range: $26.32 - $62.88
Sales & Book Value:
- Trailing P/E Ratio: 9.49
- Foreward P/E Ratio: 8.85
- P/E Growth: 0.96
- Annual Revenue: $8.28 billion
- Price / Sales: 0.35
- Book Value: $17.76 per share
- Price / Book: 1.49
- Annual Dividend: $0.68
- Dividend Yield: 2.5%
- EBIDTA: $751.29 million
- Net Margins: 3.74%
- Return on Equity: 19.09%
- Return on Assets: 8.54%
- Debt-to-Equity Ratio: 0.10%
- Current Ratio: 1.51%
- Quick Ratio: 0.24%
- Average Volume: 2.97 million shs.
- Beta: 0.47
- Short Ratio: 4.83
Frequently Asked Questions for Dick's Sporting Goods (NYSE:DKS)
What is Dick's Sporting Goods' stock symbol?
Dick's Sporting Goods trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "DKS."
How often does Dick's Sporting Goods pay dividends? What is the dividend yield for Dick's Sporting Goods?
Dick's Sporting Goods announced a quarterly dividend on Tuesday, August 15th. Shareholders of record on Friday, September 8th will be given a dividend of $0.17 per share on Friday, September 29th. This represents a $0.68 annualized dividend and a yield of 2.57%. The ex-dividend date of this dividend is Thursday, September 7th. View Dick's Sporting Goods' Dividend History.
How were Dick's Sporting Goods' earnings last quarter?
Dick's Sporting Goods Inc (NYSE:DKS) issued its quarterly earnings results on Tuesday, August, 15th. The company reported $0.96 earnings per share for the quarter, missing the consensus estimate of $1.00 by $0.04. The company earned $2.16 billion during the quarter, compared to analyst estimates of $2.16 billion. Dick's Sporting Goods had a return on equity of 19.09% and a net margin of 3.74%. Dick's Sporting Goods's quarterly revenue was up 9.6% compared to the same quarter last year. During the same quarter in the prior year, the company posted $0.82 EPS. View Dick's Sporting Goods' Earnings History.
When will Dick's Sporting Goods make its next earnings announcement?
What guidance has Dick's Sporting Goods issued on next quarter's earnings?
Dick's Sporting Goods issued an update on its FY18 earnings guidance on Tuesday, August, 15th. The company provided EPS guidance of $2.85-3.05 for the period, compared to the Thomson Reuters consensus estimate of $3.62. Dick's Sporting Goods also updated its Q3 guidance to $0.22-0.30 EPS.
Where is Dick's Sporting Goods' stock going? Where will Dick's Sporting Goods' stock price be in 2017?
30 equities research analysts have issued 1 year target prices for Dick's Sporting Goods' shares. Their forecasts range from $25.00 to $75.00. On average, they expect Dick's Sporting Goods' stock price to reach $41.12 in the next twelve months. View Analyst Ratings for Dick's Sporting Goods.
What are analysts saying about Dick's Sporting Goods stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Dick's Sporting Goods stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "DICK’S Sporting has underperformed the industry in the last three months. This could be largely due to the soft performance in first-quarter fiscal 2017. However, the company is persistently gaining from the consolidation in the sporting goods space, and opportunities arising from the liquidation of rival firms. Further, a robust e-commerce performance, continued market share gains and its latest merchandising strategy bode well. Also, the potential liquidation of Gander Mountain should boost DICK’S Sporting’s market share, though it may hurt third-quarter sales. Given this short-term hurdle and the current trends, management tweaked its fiscal 2017 sales view, while retaining its earnings outlook. Macroeconomic hurdles also remain a concern. Second quarter estimate has been going down lately ahead of the earnings release. However, the company has a positive record of earnings surprises in recent quarters." (7/27/2017)
- 2. Credit Suisse Group analysts commented, "We hosted meetings with DKS management: We believe the company is doing some very positive things to transition its model, add new layers of differentiation, add new growth drivers, and leverage its power in the industry. That said, it’s difficult to see the stock working until, first, it clears the difficult 2H comparison hurdle, and second, like many other retailers, it provides better visibility on the investment outlook (which should be forthcoming) and EPS growth trajectory past 2017. Our key question looking to next year is whether the multiple margin drivers DKS has will be powerful enough to offset continued investments: Management appeared optimistic about the benefits from vendor restructuring, improving online economics by transitioning the platform in house, and recent cost reductions." (6/29/2017)
- 3. Citigroup Inc. analysts commented, "We believe the 8.6% post-earnings drop presents investors with an excellent buying opportunity. DKS reported better than expected 4Q16 results on both the top and bottom lines in a very difficult retail environment. The stock's reaction is a function of FY17 comp/ EPS guidance coming in short of consensus. DKS has a long history of providing conservative guidance, and the latest guide is no different. DKS initial FY16 SSS/EPS guide was 0-2%/ $2.85-$3.00 vs. actuals of 3.5%/$3.12. Upside was achieved despite TSA bankruptcy disruptions. Lately, we have seen way too many hockey stick-type recoveries embedded in retailers' outlooks, despite uninspiring trends. DKS, on the other hand, has put up solid SSS numbers, positive traffic, expanding gross margins, and clean inventory . . . yet guided prudently based on what the company is seeing today, not the opportunities of tomorrow. We argue that DKS will develop into a beat-and-raise story as we progress throughout FY17." (3/8/2017)
- 4. Guggenheim analysts commented, " Since our initiation back in September 2016, we have been cautious on DKS (NEUTRAL, $52.61) shares due to a combination of elevated 2017 consensus expectations and an above-average valuation. Although valuation has moderated over the past 5-6 months, with the shares down ~14% since late September versus the S&P 500's 11% increase, out-year expectations have not yet. As a result, we expect a negative reaction to today's print, despite an in-line 4Q result, as initial 2017 guidance of $3.65-3.75 compares to the $3.77 consensus and stands significantly below some of the more bullish EPS forecast, which approach $4.00. We reiterate our Neutral rating and await a more attractive entry point." (3/7/2017)
Who are some of Dick's Sporting Goods' key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Dick's Sporting Goods include TripAdvisor (TRIP), Liberty Interactive Corporation (LVNTA), Dunkin' Brands Group (DNKN), AutoNation (AN), Foot Locker (FL), Caseys General Stores (CASY), Tech Data Corporation (TECD), Bed Bath & Beyond (BBBY), Williams-Sonoma (WSM), Wendy's Company (The) (WEN), The Michaels Companies (MIK), Cabela's (CAB), Cracker Barrel Old Country Store (CBRL), Signet Jewelers Limited (SIG), Stamps.com (STMP), Metro AG (MTTRY), Texas Roadhouse (TXRH) and Penske Automotive Group (PAG).
Who are Dick's Sporting Goods' key executives?
Dick's Sporting Goods' management team includes the folowing people:
- Edward W. Stack, Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer
- Lauren R. Hobart, President
- William J. Colombo, Independent Vice Chairman of the Board
- Lee J. Belitsky, Chief Financial Officer, Executive Vice President
- Holly R. Tyson, Chief Human Resource Officer, Senior Vice President
- Keri Jones, Executive Vice President - Chief Merchant
- Michele B. Willoughby, Executive Vice President, Chief Strategy Officer
- John Edward Hayes III, Senior Vice President, General Counsel, Secretary
- Lawrence J. Schorr, Lead Independent Director
- Mark J. Barrenechea, Independent Director
Who owns Dick's Sporting Goods stock?
Dick's Sporting Goods' stock is owned by a number of of institutional and retail investors. Top institutional investors include BlackRock Inc. (7.55%), Vanguard Group Inc. (6.05%), TIAA CREF Investment Management LLC (5.01%), Northern Trust Corp (3.37%), State Street Corp (2.79%) and Renaissance Technologies LLC (1.67%). Company insiders that own Dick's Sporting Goods stock include Edward W Stack, Emanuel Chirico, Lauren R Hobart, Lee J Belitsky, Michele Willoughby and William J Colombo. View Institutional Ownership Trends for Dick's Sporting Goods.
Who sold Dick's Sporting Goods stock? Who is selling Dick's Sporting Goods stock?
Dick's Sporting Goods' stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including JPMorgan Chase & Co., Bamco Inc. NY, Prudential Financial Inc., Franklin Resources Inc., Victory Capital Management Inc., Renaissance Technologies LLC, Westpac Banking Corp and Quantitative Investment Management LLC. Company insiders that have sold Dick's Sporting Goods stock in the last year include Edward W Stack, Emanuel Chirico, Lauren R Hobart, Lee J Belitsky and Michele Willoughby. View Insider Buying and Selling for Dick's Sporting Goods.
Who bought Dick's Sporting Goods stock? Who is buying Dick's Sporting Goods stock?
Dick's Sporting Goods' stock was purchased by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including TIAA CREF Investment Management LLC, Northern Trust Corp, Manning & Napier Advisors LLC, Samlyn Capital LLC, Boston Partners, Teachers Advisors LLC, Letko Brosseau & Associates Inc. and Southpoint Capital Advisors LP. View Insider Buying and Selling for Dick's Sporting Goods.
How do I buy Dick's Sporting Goods stock?
Shares of Dick's Sporting Goods can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is Dick's Sporting Goods' stock price today?
MarketBeat Community Rating for Dick's Sporting Goods (NYSE DKS)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about Dick's Sporting Goods and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe the stock will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe the stock will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.
One share of Dick's Sporting Goods stock can currently be purchased for approximately $26.46.
Consensus Ratings for Dick's Sporting Goods (NYSE:DKS) (How are Consensus Ratings Calculated?)
MarketBeat calculates consensus ratings using the most recent rating from each brokerage that has rated a stock within the last twelve months. Since brokers often use different ratings systems, each rating is normalized to a standardized rating score of 1 (sell), 2 (hold), 3 (buy) or 4 (strong buy). Consensus ratings scores are calculated using the mean average of the number of normalized sell, hold, buy and strong buy ratings. Each stock's consensus rating is derived from its calculated consensus ratings score (0-1.5 = Sell, 1.5-2.5 = Hold, 2.5-3.5 = Buy, >3.5 = Strong Buy). MarketBeat's consensus price targets are a mean average of the most recent available price targets set by each analyst that has set a price target for the stock in the last twelve months.
MarketBeat will no longer include ratings and price target data in its consensus calculation if a broker drops coverage and MarketBeat has received a report that coverage was dropped. Ratings from certain research firms that issue ratings using purely quantitative methods (such as Zacks, Vetr and ValuEngine) are not included in consensus calculations. MarketBeat's consensus ratings and consensus price targets may differ from those calculated by other firms due to differences in methodology and available data.
|Ratings Breakdown: ||2 Sell Ratings, 22 Hold Ratings, 6 Buy Ratings|
|Consensus Rating:||Hold (Score: 2.13)|
|Consensus Price Target: ||$41.12 (55.39% upside)|
Analysts' Ratings History for Dick's Sporting Goods (NYSE:DKS)
(Data available from 8/21/2015 forward)
|Date||Firm||Action||Rating||Price Target||Impact on Share Price||Details|
|8/16/2017||Morgan Stanley||Reiterated Rating||Equal Weight||$55.00 -> $30.00||Low|
|8/16/2017||Forward View||Reiterated Rating||Buy -> Sell||$25.00||Low|
|8/16/2017||Barclays PLC||Reiterated Rating||Equal Weight||$46.00 -> $30.00||Medium|
|8/16/2017||BMO Capital Markets||Set Price Target||Outperform||$62.00 -> $37.00||High|
|8/16/2017||Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (The)||Downgrade||Buy -> Neutral||$49.00 -> $30.00||High|
|8/16/2017||Susquehanna Bancshares Inc||Reiterated Rating||Positive -> Neutral||$57.00 -> $30.00||High|
|8/16/2017||Buckingham Research||Downgrade||Buy -> Neutral||$45.00||High|
|8/16/2017||Monness Crespi & Hardt||Downgrade||Buy -> Neutral||High|
|8/16/2017||Citigroup Inc.||Downgrade||Buy -> Neutral||$30.00||High|
|8/16/2017||Royal Bank Of Canada||Downgrade||Outperform -> Sector Perform||$46.00 -> $29.00||High|
|8/15/2017||Deutsche Bank AG||Downgrade||Buy -> Hold||$50.00 -> $28.00||High|
|8/15/2017||MKM Partners||Downgrade||Buy -> Neutral||$47.00 -> $30.00||High|
|8/15/2017||Wedbush||Downgrade||Outperform -> Neutral||$29.00||High|
|8/15/2017||Canaccord Genuity||Downgrade||Buy -> Hold||$52.00 -> $27.00||High|
|8/15/2017||Oppenheimer Holdings, Inc.||Reiterated Rating||Hold||High|
|8/15/2017||Bank of America Corporation||Downgrade||Buy -> Neutral||$35.00||High|
|8/15/2017||Stifel Nicolaus||Downgrade||Buy -> Hold||$54.00 -> $28.00||High|
|8/7/2017||Credit Suisse Group||Set Price Target||Hold||$55.00 -> $44.00||Low|
|7/25/2017||Wolfe Research||Downgrade||Outperform -> Peer Perform||Medium|
|7/24/2017||Telsey Advisory Group||Downgrade||Outperform -> Market Perform||$52.00 -> $40.00||Low|
|7/10/2017||Cleveland Research||Downgrade||Buy -> Hold||High|
|5/22/2017||B. Riley||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$58.00||Low|
|5/19/2017||Argus||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$66.00 -> $55.00||Low|
|5/17/2017||Robert W. Baird||Reiterated Rating||Neutral||$52.00 -> $45.00||Low|
|5/17/2017||Cowen and Company||Set Price Target||Buy||$55.00||Medium|
|2/21/2017||CIBC||Reiterated Rating||Outperform -> Market Perform||N/A|
|12/4/2016||Brean Capital||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$64.00 -> $63.00||N/A|
|10/10/2016||J P Morgan Chase & Co||Reiterated Rating||Neutral||$60.00||N/A|
|9/29/2016||Off Wall Street||Initiated Coverage||Strong Sell -> Sell||N/A|
|5/16/2016||Sterne Agee CRT||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$55.00||N/A|
|3/14/2016||Wells Fargo & Company||Reiterated Rating||Market Perform||N/A|
|11/18/2015||SunTrust Banks, Inc.||Lower Price Target||Neutral||$58.00 -> $43.00||N/A|
Earnings History for Dick's Sporting Goods (NYSE:DKS)Earnings History by Quarter for Dick's Sporting Goods (NYSE DKS)
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|8/15/2017||Q2 2018||$1.00||$0.96||$2.16 billion||$2.16 billion||View||N/A|
|5/16/2017||Q1 17||$0.54||$0.54||$1.83 billion||$1.83 billion||View||N/A|
|3/7/2017||Q4 2017||$1.30||$1.32||$2.48 billion||$2.48 billion||View||Listen|
|11/15/2016||Q316||$0.42||$0.48||$1.77 billion||$1.87 billion||View||N/A|
|8/16/2016||Q216||$0.69||$0.82||$1.88 billion||$2.00 billion||View||Listen|
|5/19/2016||Q116||$0.49||$0.50||$1.67 billion||$1.70 billion||View||Listen|
|3/8/2016||Q415||$1.15||$1.13||$2.29 billion||$2.24 billion||View||N/A|
|11/17/2015||Q315||$0.46||$0.45||$1.66 billion||$1.60 billion||View||Listen|
|8/18/2015||Q215||$0.75||$0.77||$1.83 billion||$1.82 billion||View||Listen|
|5/19/2015||Q115||$0.53||$0.53||$1.56 billion||$1.60 billion||View||Listen|
|3/3/2015||Q414||$1.22||$1.30||$2.12 billion||$2.20 billion||View||N/A|
|11/18/2014||Q314||$0.40||$0.41||$1.53 billion||$1.50 billion||View||N/A|
|8/19/2014||Q214||$0.65||$0.67||$1.65 billion||$1.69 billion||View||N/A|
|5/20/2014||Q114||$0.53||$0.50||$1.46 billion||$1.40 billion||View||N/A|
|3/11/2014||Q413||$1.11||$1.11||$1.94 billion||$1.90 billion||View||N/A|
|11/12/2013||Q313||$0.39||$0.40||$1.37 billion||$1.40 billion||View||Listen|
|8/20/2013||Q2 2013||$0.76||$0.71||$1.58 billion||$1.50 billion||View||Listen|
|5/21/2013||Q1 2013||$0.48||$0.48||$1.36 billion||$1.30 billion||View||Listen|
|3/11/2013||Q4 2012||$1.06||$1.06||$1.86 billion||$1.80 billion||View||Listen|
|11/13/2012||Q312||$0.37||$0.40||$1.30 billion||$1.30 billion||View||N/A|
Earnings Estimates for Dick's Sporting Goods (NYSE:DKS)
2017 EPS Consensus Estimate: $3.53
2018 EPS Consensus Estimate: $3.08
2019 EPS Consensus Estimate: $2.94
(Data provided by Zacks Investment Research)
|Quarter||Number of Estimates||Low Estimate||High Estimate||Average Estimate|
Current Dividend Information for Dick's Sporting Goods (NYSE:DKS)
|Dividend Growth:||6.60% (3 Year Average)|
|Payout Ratio:||24.29% (Trailing 12 Months of Earnings) |
22.82% (Based on This Year's Estimates)
22.74% (Based on Next Year's Estimates)
|Track Record:||2 Years of Consecutive Dividend Growth|
Dividend History by Quarter for Dick's Sporting Goods (NYSE DKS)
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Announced||Period||Amount||Yield||Ex-Dividend Date||Record Date||Payable Date|
Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History for Dick's Sporting Goods (NYSE:DKS)
Insider Ownership Percentage: 23.09%Insider Trades by Quarter for Dick's Sporting Goods (NYSE:DKS)
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 76.35%
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Details|
|3/14/2017||Edward W. Stack||Chairman||Sell||333,344||$47.47||$15,823,839.68|| |
|3/10/2017||Emanuel Chirico||Director||Sell||20,000||$48.73||$974,600.00|| |
|11/18/2016||Lauren R Hobart||EVP||Sell||24,015||$58.45||$1,403,676.75|| |
|11/17/2016||Lee J Belitsky||CFO||Sell||15,000||$58.50||$877,500.00|| |
|8/25/2016||Michele Willoughby||EVP||Sell||36,737||$58.78||$2,159,400.86|| |
|3/11/2016||Edward W Stack||CEO||Sell||295,000||$45.71||$13,484,450.00|| |
|1/13/2016||Emanuel Chirico||Director||Sell||8,375||$35.32||$295,805.00|| |
|9/15/2015||William J. Colombo||Director||Sell||20,000||$50.56||$1,011,200.00|| |
|4/2/2015||Joseph Oliver||CAO||Sell||13,489||$58.19||$784,924.91|| |
|3/12/2015||William J Colombo||Director||Sell||20,000||$56.58||$1,131,600.00|| |
|12/19/2014||Lawrence J Schorr||Director||Sell||40,000||$50.19||$2,007,600.00|| |
|12/17/2014||Edward W Stack||Major Shareholder||Sell||340,000||$49.41||$16,799,400.00|| |
|12/15/2014||William J Colombo||Director||Sell||99,948||$49.00||$4,897,452.00|| |
|6/3/2014||Vincent C Byrd||Director||Buy||2,500||$44.30||$110,750.00|| |
|5/28/2014||Andre J Hawaux||CFO||Buy||2,300||$42.82||$98,486.00|| |
|5/28/2014||Edward W Stack||Major Shareholder||Buy||115,000||$42.56||$4,894,400.00|| |
|5/28/2014||Larry D Stone||Director||Buy||23,000||$42.46||$976,580.00|| |
|3/25/2014||Kathryn Sutter||SVP||Sell||11,992||$55.29||$663,037.68|| |
|3/24/2014||Michele Willoughby||EVP||Sell||11,625||$56.59||$657,858.75|| |
|3/24/2014||Vincent Byrd||Director||Buy||1,500||$56.54||$84,810.00|| |
|3/21/2014||Joseph Schmidt||COO||Sell||33,768||$57.04||$1,926,126.72|| |
|3/19/2014||Joseph Schmidt||COO||Sell||22,482||$57.18||$1,285,520.76|| |
|3/17/2014||Andre Hawaux||CFO||Buy||1,400||$57.00||$79,800.00|| |
|3/12/2014||David Mosse||SVP||Sell||4,762||$56.53||$269,195.86|| |
|3/12/2014||Lauren Hobart||CMO||Sell||19,712||$56.45||$1,112,742.40|| |
|3/12/2014||William Colombo||Director||Sell||25,000||$56.58||$1,414,500.00|| |
|11/21/2013||Edward Stack||major shareholder||Sell||144,000||$55.04||$7,925,760.00|| |
|11/20/2013||Andre Hawaux||CFO||Buy||1,000||$54.99||$54,990.00|| |
|9/24/2013||Joseph Oliver||CAO||Sell||9,741||$53.08||$517,052.28|| |
|9/24/2013||Joseph Schmidt||COO||Sell||68,200||$53.00||$3,614,600.00|| |
|9/24/2013||Michele Willoughby||EVP||Sell||10,125||$52.75||$534,093.75|| |
|9/23/2013||John Duken||EVP||Sell||99,000||$52.87||$5,234,130.00|| |
|9/20/2013||David Mosse||SVP||Sell||6,000||$53.52||$321,120.00|| |
|9/20/2013||Joseph Oliver||CAO||Sell||37,020||$53.15||$1,967,613.00|| |
|9/20/2013||Joseph Schmidt||COO||Sell||6,800||$53.48||$363,664.00|| |
|8/21/2013||Andre Hawaux||CFO||Buy||6,400||$47.25||$302,400.00|| |
|3/22/2013||John G Duken||EVP||Sell||85,000||$48.06||$4,085,100.00|| |
|3/22/2013||Timothy E Kullman||CFO||Sell||171,537||$48.03||$8,238,922.11|| |
|3/19/2013||Vincent C Byrd||Director||Buy||1,000||$47.17||$47,170.00|| |
Headline Trends for Dick's Sporting Goods (NYSE:DKS)
Latest Headlines for Dick's Sporting Goods (NYSE:DKS)
Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS) Chart for Monday, August, 21, 2017