About Splunk (NASDAQ:SPLK)
Splunk Inc. provides software solutions that enable organizations to gain real-time operational intelligence in the United States and internationally. Its products enable users to collect, index, search, explore, monitor, correlate, and analyze data regardless of format or source. The company offers Splunk Enterprise, a machine data platform with collection, indexing, search, reporting, analysis, alerting, monitoring, and data management capabilities; and Splunk Cloud. The company also provides Splunk Light, which offers log search and analysis for small IT environments; and Splunk Analytics for Hadoop, a software for exploring, analyzing, and visualizing data stored in Hadoop and Amazon S3. In addition, it offers Splunk Enterprise Security that addresses security threats and information; Splunk IT Service Intelligence, which monitors health and key performance indicators of critical IT services; Splunk User Behavior Analytics that detects cyber-attacks and insider threats; Splunk Machine Learning Toolkit, an app to apply machine learning techniques and algorithms to data stored in Splunk; Splunk App for AWS that collects and analyzes data from AWS data sources; and Splunk DB Connect to get business and enterprise context. Further, the company operates Splunkbase and Splunk Answers Websites, which provide an environment to share apps, collaborate on the use of its software, and provide community-based support and education, as well as offers application programming interfaces and software development kits. Additionally, it offers maintenance and customer support, training, and consulting and implementation services. The company serves cloud and online services, education, financial services, government, healthcare/pharmaceuticals, industrials/manufacturing, media/entertainment, retail/ecommerce, technology, and telecommunications industries. Splunk Inc. was incorporated in 2003 and is headquartered in San Francisco, California.
Industry, Sector and Symbol
Industry Prepackaged software
SectorComputer and Technology
Trailing P/E Ratio-89.40
Forward P/E Ratio-92.22
Sales & Book Value
Annual Sales$1.27 billion
Price / Sales13.36
Price / CashN/A
Book Value$5.71 per share
Price / Book20.51
EPS (Most Recent Fiscal Year)($1.31)
Return on Equity-29.90%
Return on Assets-13.68%
Splunk (NASDAQ:SPLK) Frequently Asked Questions
What is Splunk's stock symbol?
Splunk trades on the NASDAQ under the ticker symbol "SPLK."
How were Splunk's earnings last quarter?
Splunk Inc (NASDAQ:SPLK) released its earnings results on Thursday, May, 24th. The software company reported ($0.07) EPS for the quarter, beating the Thomson Reuters' consensus estimate of ($0.09) by $0.02. The software company had revenue of $311.60 million for the quarter, compared to analysts' expectations of $297.58 million. Splunk had a negative net margin of 20.72% and a negative return on equity of 29.90%. Splunk's quarterly revenue was up 37.4% on a year-over-year basis. During the same quarter last year, the company earned ($0.01) EPS. View Splunk's Earnings History.
When is Splunk's next earnings date?
What price target have analysts set for SPLK?
37 brokers have issued 1-year target prices for Splunk's stock. Their forecasts range from $68.00 to $136.00. On average, they anticipate Splunk's share price to reach $108.6389 in the next year. View Analyst Ratings for Splunk.
What are Wall Street analysts saying about Splunk stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Splunk stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Splunk Inc. provides a software platform, which collects and indexes data and enables users to search, correlate, analyze, monitor and report on this data, all in real time. Its software is designed to help users in various roles, including IT and business professionals. Splunk Inc. is based in San Francisco, California. " (5/4/2018)
- 2. Mizuho analysts commented, "We think Splunk continues to enjoy favorable competitive environment within a fairly large opportunity, which should help maintain rapid n-t growth rates. Execution focus includes a plan to accelerate new customer wins. Despite reiterating its goal of 20K customers by FY20 (from just over 15K in FY18), management was very candid about wanting to accelerate customer acquisition. While messaging around coverage enhancement was similar to last year, we see ongoing tweaks to the sales model potentially supporting an uptick. Splunk is focusing its customer acquisition on smaller accounts with cohort commentary indicating significant growth potential over time as a result of use case expansion (the company indicated that 90% of total license bookings in FY18 came from existing customers, up from 70% in 2014). Further go- to-market initiatives around demand gen and partnerships (e.g. AWS) can help performance, in our view. Rep productivity trends appear supportive too." (3/28/2018)
- 3. Credit Suisse Group AG analysts commented, "We view this acquisition as an incremental positive, and see it enhancing SPLK’s role as an agnostic security platform sitting atop the traditional security stack. We leave FY19 estimates unchanged at this time. Phantom Cyber: Named ‘RSA ® Conference 2016’s Most Innovative Startup’, Phantom is a security automation and orchestration platform that integrates with 1,000+ APIs and 200+ apps. Phantom uses data from SIEMs and analytical tools to interpret and execute “playbooks” (i.e. codified SecOps plans). A variety of responses may then be executed—including file detonation in an integrated sandbox, file hunting on endpoints, device quarantine via NAC, and URL blocking on perimeter devices. Strategic Positive: We believe this acquisition continues to align with our views that (1) data is the future of security (SPLK), and (2) security needs automation and orchestration (NOW)." (2/28/2018)
Who are some of Splunk's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Splunk include VMware (VMW), Activision Blizzard (ATVI), Intuit (INTU), Electronic Arts (EA), Dassault Systemes (DASTY), ServiceNow (NOW), Autodesk (ADSK), Square (SQ), Shopify (SHOP), Check Point Software Technologies (CHKP), CA Technologies (CA), Dropbox (DBX), ANSYS (ANSS), Citrix Systems (CTXS) and Mobileye (MBBYF).
Who are Splunk's key executives?
Splunk's management team includes the folowing people:
- Mr. Douglas Merritt, Chief Exec. Officer, Pres and Director (Age 54)
- Mr. David F. Conte, Sr. VP & CFO (Age 52)
- Mr. Leonard R. Stein, Chief Legal Officer and Sr. VP of Corp. Affairs (Age 62)
- Mr. Richard J. Campione, Chief Product Officer & Sr. VP (Age 54)
- Ms. Susan St. Ledger, Pres of Worldwide Field Operations (Age 53)
Has Splunk been receiving favorable news coverage?
Headlines about SPLK stock have trended positive this week, according to Accern. The research group identifies positive and negative media coverage by analyzing more than 20 million blog and news sources in real-time. Accern ranks coverage of companies on a scale of -1 to 1, with scores closest to one being the most favorable. Splunk earned a media sentiment score of 0.26 on Accern's scale. They also gave media stories about the software company an impact score of 47.13 out of 100, meaning that recent media coverage is somewhat unlikely to have an effect on the stock's share price in the immediate future.
Who are Splunk's major shareholders?
Splunk's stock is owned by many different of institutional and retail investors. Top institutional investors include BlackRock Inc. (5.36%), JPMorgan Chase & Co. (1.93%), American Century Companies Inc. (1.50%), Federated Investors Inc. PA (1.38%), Winslow Capital Management LLC (1.36%) and Allianz Asset Management GmbH (1.17%). Company insiders that own Splunk stock include David F Conte, Douglas Merritt, Godfrey Sullivan, Graham Smith, John G Connors, Ledger Susan St, Leonard R Stein, Steven R Sommer and Thomas M Neustaetter. View Institutional Ownership Trends for Splunk.
Which institutional investors are selling Splunk stock?
SPLK stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Carmignac Gestion, JPMorgan Chase & Co., Winslow Capital Management LLC, TCW Group Inc., Allianz Asset Management GmbH, Allianz Asset Management GmbH, American Century Companies Inc. and ETF Managers Group LLC. Company insiders that have sold Splunk company stock in the last year include David F Conte, Douglas Merritt, Godfrey Sullivan, Graham Smith, Ledger Susan St, Leonard R Stein and Thomas M Neustaetter. View Insider Buying and Selling for Splunk.
Which institutional investors are buying Splunk stock?
SPLK stock was purchased by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Whale Rock Capital Management LLC, Millennium Management LLC, Frontier Capital Management Co. LLC, Lord Abbett & CO. LLC, BlackRock Inc., Franklin Resources Inc., Columbus Circle Investors and Hsbc Holdings PLC. View Insider Buying and Selling for Splunk.
How do I buy shares of Splunk?
Shares of SPLK can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages with access to the U.S. stock market include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is Splunk's stock price today?
One share of SPLK stock can currently be purchased for approximately $117.12.
How big of a company is Splunk?
Splunk has a market capitalization of $16.80 billion and generates $1.27 billion in revenue each year. The software company earns $-259,100,000.00 in net income (profit) each year or ($1.31) on an earnings per share basis. Splunk employs 3,200 workers across the globe.
How can I contact Splunk?
Splunk's mailing address is 270 BRANNAN STREET, SAN FRANCISCO CA, 94107. The software company can be reached via phone at 415-848-8400 or via email at [email protected]
MarketBeat Community Rating for Splunk (SPLK)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about Splunk and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe SPLK will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe SPLK will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.