Rice Energy Inc. (Rice Energy) is an independent natural gas and oil company. The Company is engaged in the acquisition, exploration and development of natural gas, oil and natural gas liquids (NGL) properties in the Appalachian Basin. The Company conducts its operations through two segments: Exploration and Production, and Midstream. The Exploration and Production segment is engaged in the acquisition, exploration and development of natural gas, oil and NGLs. The Exploration and Production segment operates in the cores of the Marcellus and Utica Shales. The Company controls approximately 231,000 net acres in the Marcellus and Ohio Utica Shale cores. It operates approximately 1,164 drilling locations. The Midstream segment is engaged in the gathering and compression of natural gas, oil and NGL production of, and in the provision of water services to support the well completion activities of, Rice Energy and third parties.
Industry, Sector and Symbol:
- Sector: Oils/Energy
- Industry: Independent Oil & Gas
- Sub-Industry: N/A
- Symbol: NYSE:RICE
- CUSIP: N/A
- Web: www.riceenergy.com
- Market Cap: $4.22 billion
- Outstanding Shares: 205,060,000
- 50 Day Moving Avg: $22.09
- 200 Day Moving Avg: $21.82
- 52 Week Range: $18.30 - $29.36
Sales & Book Value:
- Trailing P/E Ratio: N/A
- Foreward P/E Ratio: 24.52
- P/E Growth: 0.58
- Annual Revenue: $1.03 billion
- Price / Sales: 4.10
- Book Value: $14.15 per share
- Price / Book: 1.46
- EBIDTA: $300.17 million
- Net Margins: -61.58%
- Return on Equity: 0.75%
- Return on Assets: 0.39%
- Debt-to-Equity Ratio: 0.39%
- Current Ratio: 5.60%
- Quick Ratio: 5.60%
- Average Volume: 4.00 million shs.
- Beta: 1.8
- Short Ratio: 3.01
Frequently Asked Questions for Rice Energy (NYSE:RICE)
What is Rice Energy's stock symbol?
Rice Energy trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "RICE."
How were Rice Energy's earnings last quarter?
Rice Energy Inc (NYSE:RICE) posted its quarterly earnings results on Wednesday, May, 3rd. The company reported $0.12 EPS for the quarter, missing the Zacks' consensus estimate of $0.22 by $0.10. The business had revenue of $393.81 million for the quarter, compared to the consensus estimate of $364.60 million. Rice Energy had a negative net margin of 61.58% and a positive return on equity of 0.75%. View Rice Energy's Earnings History.
When will Rice Energy make its next earnings announcement?
Where is Rice Energy's stock going? Where will Rice Energy's stock price be in 2017?
19 brokers have issued twelve-month price targets for Rice Energy's shares. Their predictions range from $25.00 to $43.00. On average, they expect Rice Energy's share price to reach $31.00 in the next year. View Analyst Ratings for Rice Energy.
What are analysts saying about Rice Energy stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Rice Energy stock:
- 1. National Securities analysts commented, "What Happened:
• Rice grew production again in 1Q17, at 1272.6 Mmcfe per day, up 11% from the prior quarter, and 2% better than our projection of 1251.9 Mmcfe/d. We note that this also represents the 2nd consecutive quarter of growth, and an 89% increase year over year.
• Specific to price, Rice earned post hedge realized prices of $3 per Mcfe on the quarter, in line with our estimate of $3.01 and 9% higher on a sequential basis. Absent hedges, Rice would have received $3.11 per Mcf on the quarter. We note however that Rice’s post hedge price, fell in line with company guidance.
• In what we consider a rare move, Rice provided investors with a 3 year outlook on production as well as projected spending. Specifically, the company indicated targeted annual growth of 27%-33% in Appalachia, with a drilling and completion spend that tops out at $1.4 billion in 2019 (versus $1.3 billion projected for 2017).
• The 3 year outlook provided by Rice is far longer than we expected, though we have grown accustomed to Rice providing fairly detailed guidance (specifically as it relates to its hedge book and pricing). In all candor, we have yet to be surprised by the information that Rice has presented to the investment community.
• We read the extended outlook as a signal of Rice’s confidence in its development plan, as it continues to expand its footprint in Appalachia. We note that Rice has indicated approximately 1,100 drilling locations across its Marcellus and Utica acreage with return rates projected to exceed 80%. Moreover, as it relates to drilling activity, we note a continued increase in lateral lengths which we expect will continue to improve the performance of its Appalachian wells.
• Outside of internal operations, we think Rice could be poised for an increase in year-end proved reserves based on natural gas price escalation alone. Investors should note that per Rice’s 2016 reserve report (performed by Netherland Sewell and covering 93.5% if Rice’s reserve base), an average Henry Hub spot price of $2.48 per Mcf was used to calculate the value of company reserves. Additionally, a price of $2.43 was used to evaluate the value of its remaining 6.5% of reserves. We view this as extremely conservative, particularly when considering average trailing 12 month prices of $2.96 for natural gas, along with a year to date Henry Hub average of $3.03.
• We reiterate our BUY rating and maintain our $30 target (Exhibit 5). We continue to view Rice as undervalued at current levels, and expect both an expansion of production, and a resultant increase in cash flow and EBITDA. As such, we would encourage investors to acquire shares at current levels. Additionally, our model deducts $5.15 for net debt, while adding $0.07 to reflect a working capital surplus.
- 2. Williams Capital analysts commented, "We es�mate this drop down valua�on at ~$200.0 million. RICE’s posi�on in the Barnet Shale (~37,000 net acres) may also become a source of funds." (5/4/2017)
- 3. Seaport Global Securities analysts commented, "We expect a fairly large 'data dump' from RICE this quarter as management will likely provide significantly more detail on its FY17 outlook as well as updated type curve assumptions. Regarding its FY17 outlook, we expect RICE to reiterate the preliminary outlook it laid out last quarter (FY17 production of 1,280 MMcfepd-1,355 MMcfepd on D&C spend of $950MM-$1,125MM), along with the number of wells by area, expected lateral lengths and D&C capex assumptions. On that front, we expect management to outline Marcellus and Utica well costs that are well below its current type curve economics of $1,150/ft. and $1,450/ft. in, but above its 2016 expected costs of $800/ft. and $1,250/ft., respectively. And given the operational efficiencies achieved to date, and since RICE has locked in 60%-70% of its service costs in 2017, we believe management will update its current type curve cost assumptions, reflecting significantly improved returns. We also expect management to express confidence that it can successfully execute on ~20K net acres of infill leasing opportunities in Greene County (potentially during 2017 and 2018). We are updating our estimates post our conversation with management. Additionally, we are upgrading our rating to Buy (from Neutral) given RICE's compelling NAV upside and strong multiple compression (FY17 projected EV/EBITDA of 8.3x moves to 5.7x in FY20)." (2/6/2017)
- 4. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Rice Energy Inc. is involved in the acquisition, exploration and development of natural gas and oil properties primarily in the Appalachian Basin. Rice Energy Inc. is headquartered in Hillpointe Drive, United States. " (11/10/2016)
Who are some of Rice Energy's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Rice Energy include Parsley Energy (PE), Newfield Exploration (NFX), EnLink Midstream Partners LP (ENLK), Range Resources Corp. (RRC), Energen (EGN), Crescent Point Energy (CPG), National Fuel Gas (NFG), Chesapeake Energy (CHK), WPX Energy (WPX), Murphy Oil (MUR), CONSOL Energy (CNX), PDC Energy (PDCE), Southwestern Energy Company (SWN), Black Stone Minerals LP (BSM), Laredo Petroleum (LPI), Gulfport Energy (GPOR), Kosmos Energy Ltd (KOS) and Rice Midstream Partners LP (RMP).
Who owns Rice Energy stock?
Rice Energy's stock is owned by a number of of institutional and retail investors. Top institutional shareholders include Share Andrew L. (14.64%), Vanguard Group Inc. (6.24%), FMR LLC (4.45%), Riverstone Holdings LLC (3.32%), Wellington Management Group LLP (3.19%) and Massachusetts Financial Services Co. MA (3.19%). Company insiders that own Rice Energy stock include Daniel Rice, James Wilmot Rogers, Ngp Rice Holdings Llc and Toby Z Rice. View Institutional Ownership Trends for Rice Energy.
Who sold Rice Energy stock? Who is selling Rice Energy stock?
Rice Energy's stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Point72 Asset Management L.P., Riverstone Holdings LLC, Renaissance Technologies LLC, AQR Capital Management LLC, Principal Financial Group Inc., Steadfast Capital Management LP, TPH Asset Management LLC and Wellington Management Group LLP. View Insider Buying and Selling for Rice Energy.
Who bought Rice Energy stock? Who is buying Rice Energy stock?
Rice Energy's stock was acquired by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including BlackRock Inc., Neuberger Berman Group LLC, Boston Partners, Bank of Montreal Can, Columbus Hill Capital Management L.P., Dimensional Fund Advisors LP, Quantitative Investment Management LLC and Cobalt Capital Management Inc.. View Insider Buying and Selling for Rice Energy.
How do I buy Rice Energy stock?
Shares of Rice Energy can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
How much does a share of Rice Energy stock cost?
One share of Rice Energy stock can currently be purchased for approximately $20.60.
Earnings History for Rice Energy (NYSE:RICE)Earnings History by Quarter for Rice Energy (NYSE:RICE)
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|8/1/2017|| || || || || || || || |
|5/3/2017||Q1 2017||$0.22||$0.12||$364.60 million||$393.81 million||View||Listen|
|11/2/2016||Q316||$0.02||$0.41||$216.58 million||$198.90 million||View||N/A|
|8/3/2016||Q216||($0.06)||($1.07)||$180.12 million||$116.00 million||View||N/A|
|5/4/2016||Q116||($0.09)||($0.15)||$169.08 million||$139.90 million||View||N/A|
|2/24/2016||Q415||$0.01||($2.06)||$158.38 million||$136.10 million||View||Listen|
|11/5/2015||Q315||$0.01||$0.03||$153.36 million||$143.60 million||View||N/A|
|8/6/2015||Q215||($0.04)||$0.03||$127.42 million||$112.90 million||View||N/A|
|5/7/2015||Q115||$0.02||($0.02)||$133.15 million||$109.00 million||View||N/A|
|3/12/2015||Q414||$0.04||$0.03||$124.02 million||$129.40 million||View||N/A|
|11/12/2014||Q314||($0.04)||($0.11)||$82.30 million||$79.13 million||View||N/A|
|8/11/2014||Q214||$0.06||$0.03||$90.02 million||$91.94 million||View||N/A|
|5/13/2014||Q114||$0.13||$0.99||$76.63 million||$90.47 million||View||N/A|
|3/13/2014||Q413||$0.08||($0.07)||$71.53 million||$55.61 million||View||N/A|
Earnings Estimates for Rice Energy (NYSE:RICE)
Current Year EPS Consensus Estimate: $0.59 EPS
Next Year EPS Consensus Estimate: $0.84 EPS
Dividend History for Rice Energy (NYSE:RICE)
No dividend announcements for this company have been tracked by MarketBeat.com
Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History for Rice Energy (NYSE:RICE)
Insider Ownership Percentage: 2.20%Insider Trades by Quarter for Rice Energy (NYSE:RICE)
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 94.27%
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Details|
|11/29/2016||James Wilmot Rogers||Insider||Sell||114,523||$25.50||$2,920,336.50|| |
|11/28/2016||James Wilmot Rogers||Insider||Sell||85,544||$25.66||$2,195,059.04|| |
|4/15/2016||Ngp Rice Holdings Llc||Director||Sell||9,858,891||$15.60||$153,798,699.60|| |
|12/21/2015||Daniel Rice||Director||Sell||5,000,000||$7.75||$38,750,000.00|| |
|11/30/2015||Toby Z Rice||COO||Buy||7,500||$13.30||$99,750.00|| |
|5/15/2015||Ngp Rice Holdings Llc||Director||Sell||6,000,000||$23.99||$143,940,000.00|| |
|3/17/2015||John Mccartney||Director||Buy||2,000||$19.28||$38,560.00|| |
|3/16/2015||Steven C Dixon||Director||Buy||10,000||$17.92||$179,200.00|| |
|8/19/2014||Alpha Natural Resources, Inc.||Director||Sell||3,114,825||$26.28||$81,857,601.00|| |
|1/29/2014||James W Christmas||Director||Buy||175,000||$21.00||$3,675,000.00|| |
|1/24/2014||Scott Gieselman||Director||Buy||40,000||$21.00||$840,000.00|| |
Headline Trends for Rice Energy (NYSE:RICE)
Latest Headlines for Rice Energy (NYSE:RICE)
|Rice Energy, Inc. breached its 50 day moving average in a Bearish Manner : RICE-US : May 17, 2017|
finance.yahoo.com - May 17 at 7:27 PM
|Rice Energy Inc (RICE) Receives Consensus Rating of "Buy" from Analysts|
www.americanbankingnews.com - May 15 at 12:08 PM
|Rice Energy's (RICE) Buy Rating Reiterated at Stifel Nicolaus|
www.americanbankingnews.com - May 9 at 1:58 PM
|Rice Energy Inc (RICE) Earns "Buy" Rating from National Securities|
www.americanbankingnews.com - May 8 at 6:00 PM
|Edited Transcript of RICE earnings conference call or presentation 4-May-17 2:00pm GMT|
finance.yahoo.com - May 8 at 11:47 AM
|Rice Energy Inc (RICE) Rating Reiterated by Scotiabank|
www.americanbankingnews.com - May 7 at 9:28 PM
|Rice Energy Inc (RICE) Expected to Post Quarterly Sales of $351.39 Million|
www.americanbankingnews.com - May 7 at 8:14 AM
|$0.17 Earnings Per Share Expected for Rice Energy Inc (RICE) This Quarter|
www.americanbankingnews.com - May 5 at 12:16 PM
|Rice Energy (RICE) Q1 2017 Results - Earnings Call Transcript|
seekingalpha.com - May 5 at 12:48 AM
|Williams Capital Reiterates Buy Rating for Rice Energy Inc (RICE)|
www.americanbankingnews.com - May 4 at 11:54 PM
|Rice Energy Inc (RICE) Releases Earnings Results, Misses Expectations By $0.10 EPS|
www.americanbankingnews.com - May 4 at 7:34 PM
|Rice Energy could sell part of unit to midstream MLP|
www.bizjournals.com - May 4 at 1:28 PM
|Rice Energy Reports First Quarter 2017 Results and Provides Three-Year E&P Economic Growth Outlook - Yahoo Finance|
finance.yahoo.com - May 4 at 8:49 AM
|Rice Energy, Inc. – Value Analysis (NYSE:RICE) : May 2, 2017|
finance.yahoo.com - May 4 at 12:26 AM
|Rice Energy reports 1Q loss - Yahoo Finance|
finance.yahoo.com - May 3 at 7:25 PM
|Rice Energy reports 1Q loss|
marketbeat.com - May 3 at 5:27 PM
|Rice Energy (RICE) Receiving Favorable News Coverage, Report Shows|
www.americanbankingnews.com - May 3 at 1:03 AM
|Rice Energy, Inc. breached its 50 day moving average in a Bearish Manner : RICE-US : May 1, 2017|
finance.yahoo.com - May 1 at 10:15 AM
|Rice Energy (RICE) Given Daily Media Sentiment Score of 0.30|
www.americanbankingnews.com - April 29 at 10:23 PM
|Rice Energy (RICE) Earns Daily News Impact Score of 0.27|
www.americanbankingnews.com - April 26 at 12:50 PM
|Rice Energy Inc (RICE) Given a $28.00 Price Target by Royal Bank of Canada Analysts|
www.americanbankingnews.com - April 25 at 7:22 PM
|Which Gas-Weighted Stocks Could Outdo Natural Gas?|
finance.yahoo.com - April 25 at 6:36 PM
|Rice Energy (RICE) Earning Favorable News Coverage, Analysis Shows|
www.americanbankingnews.com - April 23 at 9:17 PM
|Citigroup Inc Reiterates Neutral Rating for Rice Energy Inc (RICE)|
www.americanbankingnews.com - April 22 at 12:21 PM
|Rice Energy (RICE) Given Daily Media Sentiment Rating of -0.01|
www.americanbankingnews.com - April 19 at 11:19 AM
|Stifel Adds 4 Top Energy Stocks to Select List Portfolio|
247wallst.com - April 19 at 9:33 AM
|Rice Energy Inc (RICE) Given Consensus Recommendation of "Buy" by Brokerages|
www.americanbankingnews.com - April 18 at 12:50 PM
|Why Rice Energy (RICE) Could Be Positioned for a Surge|
www.zacks.com - April 17 at 9:17 AM
|Rice Energy (RICE) Getting Positive News Coverage, Analysis Shows|
www.americanbankingnews.com - April 16 at 3:00 PM
|$363.81 Million in Sales Expected for Rice Energy Inc (RICE) This Quarter|
www.americanbankingnews.com - April 16 at 8:42 AM
|Rice Energy Announces Timing of First Quarter 2017 Conference Call - PR Newswire (press release)|
www.prnewswire.com - April 15 at 8:30 AM
|Zacks: Brokerages Anticipate Rice Energy Inc (RICE) Will Announce Earnings of $0.23 Per Share|
www.americanbankingnews.com - April 14 at 1:20 PM
|Rice Energy Announces Timing of First Quarter 2017 Conference Call|
finance.yahoo.com - April 13 at 7:22 PM
|Rice Midstream Partners Announces Timing of First Quarter 2017 Conference Call|
finance.yahoo.com - April 13 at 7:22 PM
|Rice Energy (RICE) Receives Coverage Optimism Rating of 0.19|
www.americanbankingnews.com - April 13 at 12:22 PM
|Interesting RICE Put And Call Options For May 19th|
www.nasdaq.com - April 12 at 6:30 PM
|Natural Gas Hits 2-Month High on Small Supply Addition|
finance.yahoo.com - April 10 at 7:05 PM
|Peek Under The Hood: FCG Has 30% Upside|
www.nasdaq.com - April 10 at 9:27 AM
|Rice Energy Inc (RICE) Upgraded by TheStreet to C-|
www.americanbankingnews.com - April 9 at 10:50 PM
|Rice Energy Appoints Dr. Kate Jackson to its Board of Directors and Announces Resignation of Scott Gieselman from ... - PR Newswire (press release)|
www.prnewswire.com - April 7 at 7:53 PM
|Here's Why Rice Energy Inc. Popped 19.7% in March|
www.fool.com - April 7 at 12:17 PM
|Rice Energy Appoints Dr. Kate Jackson to its Board of Directors and Announces Resignation of Scott Gieselman from its Board of Directors|
finance.yahoo.com - April 7 at 12:17 PM
|Rice Energy downgraded by Seaport Global Securities|
finance.yahoo.com - March 31 at 7:41 PM
|Rice Energy Inc (RICE) Cut to "Neutral" at Seaport Global Securities|
www.americanbankingnews.com - March 31 at 10:34 AM
|RICE Crosses Above Key Moving Average Level|
www.nasdaq.com - March 29 at 9:00 PM
|Rice Energy Inc (RICE) PT Set at $30.00 by Scotiabank|
www.americanbankingnews.com - March 28 at 9:19 PM
|Rice Energy (RICE) Presents At Scotia Howard Weil 45th Annual Energy Conference - Slideshow|
seekingalpha.com - March 28 at 7:22 PM
|Why Rice Energy (RICE) Could Be Positioned for a Surge?|
finance.yahoo.com - March 27 at 9:26 AM
|Rice Energy Inc (RICE) PT Set at $26.00 by Jefferies Group LLC|
www.americanbankingnews.com - March 27 at 12:58 AM
|Rice Energy Inc (RICE) Given a $31.00 Price Target by Scotiabank Analysts|
www.americanbankingnews.com - March 24 at 7:35 AM
Rice Energy (RICE) Chart for Friday, May, 26, 2017