Kansas City Southern (KCS) is a holding company. The Company has domestic and international rail operations in North America that are focused on the north/south freight corridor connecting commercial and industrial markets in the central United States with industrial cities in Mexico. The Company's subsidiaries include The Kansas City Southern Railway Company (KCSR) and Kansas City Southern de Mexico, S.A. de C.V. (KCSM). KCSR serves a 10-state region in the midwest and southeast regions of the United States and has the north/south rail route between Kansas City, Missouri and various ports along the Gulf of Mexico in Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. KCSM operates a corridor of the Mexican railroad system. KCSM's rail lines provide rail access to the United States and Mexico border crossing at Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas. KCSM also provides rail access to the Port of Lazaro Cardenas on the Pacific Ocean.
Industry, Sector and Symbol:
- Sector: Transportation
- Industry: Railroads
- Sub-Industry: Railroads
- Symbol: NYSE:KSU
- CUSIP: 48517030
- Web: www.kcsouthern.com
- Market Cap: $9.87 billion
- Outstanding Shares: 106,083,000
- 50 Day Moving Avg: $89.75
- 200 Day Moving Avg: $86.86
- 52 Week Range: $79.05 - $100.69
Sales & Book Value:
- Trailing P/E Ratio: 19.18
- Foreward P/E Ratio: 16.36
- P/E Growth: 1.53
- Annual Revenue: $2.38 billion
- Price / Sales: 4.15
- Book Value: $39.10 per share
- Price / Book: 2.38
- Annual Dividend: $1.32
- Dividend Yield: 1.5%
- EBIDTA: $1.15 billion
- Net Margins: 20.48%
- Return on Equity: 11.14%
- Return on Assets: 5.58%
- Debt-to-Equity Ratio: 0.52%
- Current Ratio: 0.87%
- Quick Ratio: 0.67%
- Average Volume: 1.30 million shs.
- Beta: 0.91
- Short Ratio: 2.01
Frequently Asked Questions for Kansas City Southern (NYSE:KSU)
What is Kansas City Southern's stock symbol?
Kansas City Southern trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "KSU."
How often does Kansas City Southern pay dividends? What is the dividend yield for Kansas City Southern?
Kansas City Southern declared a quarterly dividend on Friday, May 5th. Shareholders of record on Monday, June 12th will be given a dividend of $0.33 per share on Wednesday, July 5th. This represents a $1.32 annualized dividend and a yield of 1.42%. The ex-dividend date is Thursday, June 8th. View Kansas City Southern's Dividend History.
How were Kansas City Southern's earnings last quarter?
Kansas City Southern (NYSE:KSU) issued its quarterly earnings results on Friday, April, 21st. The company reported $1.17 earnings per share (EPS) for the quarter, beating analysts' consensus estimates of $1.16 by $0.01. The company had revenue of $609.50 million for the quarter, compared to analyst estimates of $600.66 million. Kansas City Southern had a net margin of 20.48% and a return on equity of 11.14%. The firm's revenue was up 8.3% compared to the same quarter last year. During the same quarter last year, the business posted $1.03 earnings per share. View Kansas City Southern's Earnings History.
When will Kansas City Southern make its next earnings announcement?
Where is Kansas City Southern's stock going? Where will Kansas City Southern's stock price be in 2017?
18 analysts have issued 12 month price targets for Kansas City Southern's stock. Their forecasts range from $86.00 to $114.00. On average, they expect Kansas City Southern's stock price to reach $98.20 in the next twelve months. View Analyst Ratings for Kansas City Southern.
What are analysts saying about Kansas City Southern stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Kansas City Southern stock:
- 1. Seaport Global Securities analysts commented, "We are downgrading KSU from Accumulate to Neutral. We think there's simply too much uncertainty around US/Mexican trade policy to get a good enough handle on what EPS will look like in 2019 and beyond. Related to that point, KSU's stock has been closely correlated to the peso, and we do not pretend to be an FX analyst. We readily acknowledge KSU's stock, at least on a P/E multiple basis, is as cheap as it's been in a long time. We also acknowledge that if President Trump's policies prove to be more bark than bite then we will likely be wrong by moving to the sidelines. With that said, we think it's nearly impossible to know what EPS will be over the long term given we don't know what a reworked NAFTA or border tax might look like. We also don't know the potential impact of Mexican energy reform on fuel costs post 2018. For these reasons, we move to the sidelines despite what looks like a tremendous growth opportunity from Mexican energy reform/new plastics facilities. As an alternative, we prefer Union Pacific (UNP) for incremental investment." (1/23/2017)
- 2. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Kansas City Southern’s third quarter results disappointed with earnings missing estimates and declining 7% on a year over year basis. The company’s results were primarily impacted by weak energy markets. Moreover other challenges such as floods, outages and service disruption in the company’s Mexico unit also contributed to the downside. However the company saw improvement in revenues in Chemical & Petroleum segment and Agriculture & Minerals segments. We remain positive on the company's vast network which might help in perfromance improvement. However We continue to be concerned with the weak energy markets and resulting impact on the company's top-line." (10/27/2016)
- 3. Oppenheimer Holdings Inc. analysts commented, "We’re initiating coverage of Kansas City Southern with an Outperform rating/$103 target. We’re drawn to the company’s central US/Gulf Coast and cross-border capability connecting to its growing Mexican operations. Well positioned at a major intersection of commerce transit/interchange in the US, KSU also stands to benefit from accelerating growth in Mexico in coming quarters as automotive shipments increase via manufacturing plant ramps following significant 1H16 re-toolings. In addition to its burgeoning automotive business, Mexico is garnering broad-based foreign investment due to its cost-effective, skilled labor force/proximity to US consumption markets. With KSU trading at a 15% discount to its historical average multiple, we anticipate solid upside over coming quarters as KSU’s growth story rebounds vs. easy y/y comparisons." (6/15/2016)
Who are some of Kansas City Southern's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Kansas City Southern include ANA Holdings (ALNPY), Alaska Air Group (ALK), ZTO Express (Cayman) (ZTO), Expeditors International of Washington (EXPD), C.H. Robinson Worldwide (CHRW), J B Hunt Transport Services (JBHT), Deutsche Lufthansa AG (DLAKY), Keppel Co. Limited (KPELY), Westinghouse Air Brake Technologies Corp (WAB), JetBlue Airways (JBLU), ALSTOM (ALSMY), Old Dominion Freight Line (ODFL), China Southern Airlines Co Ltd (ZNH), AMERCO (UHAL), LATAM Airlines Group SA (LTM), XPO Logistics (XPO), Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd (CPCAY) and Grupo Aeroportr dl Pcfco SAB de CV (PAC).
Who owns Kansas City Southern stock?
Kansas City Southern's stock is owned by many different of institutional and retail investors. Top institutional investors include BlackRock Inc. (9.81%), Vanguard Group Inc. (9.53%), State Street Corp (4.39%), Massachusetts Financial Services Co. MA (4.07%), Pioneer Investment Management Inc. (2.01%) and Sustainable Growth Advisers LP (1.97%). Company insiders that own Kansas City Southern stock include David L Starling, Delano Jose Guillermo Zozaya, Michael J Naatz, Michael W Upchurch, Patrick J Ottensmeyer, Robert J Druten, Warren K Erdman and William J Wochner. View Institutional Ownership Trends for Kansas City Southern.
Who sold Kansas City Southern stock? Who is selling Kansas City Southern stock?
Kansas City Southern's stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Wellington Management Group LLP, FMR LLC, JPMorgan Chase & Co., TIAA CREF Investment Management LLC, Teachers Advisors LLC, Mar Vista Investment Partners LLC, Renaissance Technologies LLC and Ameriprise Financial Inc.. Company insiders that have sold Kansas City Southern stock in the last year include David L Starling, Delano Jose Guillermo Zozaya, Michael W Upchurch, Patrick J Ottensmeyer, Robert J Druten and William J Wochner. View Insider Buying and Selling for Kansas City Southern.
Who bought Kansas City Southern stock? Who is buying Kansas City Southern stock?
Kansas City Southern's stock was purchased by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including BlackRock Inc., Massachusetts Financial Services Co. MA, Pioneer Investment Management Inc., Sustainable Growth Advisers LP, MARSHALL WACE ASIA Ltd, Marshall Wace North America L.P., Point72 Asset Management L.P. and Neuberger Berman Group LLC. View Insider Buying and Selling for Kansas City Southern.
How do I buy Kansas City Southern stock?
Shares of Kansas City Southern can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
How much does a share of Kansas City Southern stock cost?
One share of Kansas City Southern stock can currently be purchased for approximately $93.07.
Earnings History for Kansas City Southern (NYSE:KSU)Earnings History by Quarter for Kansas City Southern (NYSE:KSU)
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|7/17/2017|| || || || || || || || |
|4/21/2017||Q1 2017||$1.16||$1.17||$600.66 million||$609.50 million||View||N/A|
|1/20/2017||Q416||$1.17||$1.12||$608.10 million||$598.50 million||View||N/A|
|10/18/2016||Q316||$1.20||$1.12||$411.30 million||$605.00 million||View||Listen|
|7/19/2016||Q216||$1.04||$1.22||$572.20 million||$569.00 million||View||Listen|
|4/19/2016||Q116||$0.97||$1.03||$569.37 million||$563.00 million||View||Listen|
|1/22/2016||Q415||$1.10||$1.23||$598.10 million||$598.00 million||View||Listen|
|10/16/2015||Q315||$1.22||$1.21||$645.63 million||$632.00 million||View||Listen|
|7/17/2015||Q215||$1.02||$1.03||$602.78 million||$586.00 million||View||Listen|
|4/21/2015||Q115||$1.10||$1.03||$608.85 million||$603.00 million||View||N/A|
|1/23/2015||Q414||$1.23||$1.27||$658.72 million||$643.00 million||View||N/A|
|10/17/2014||Q314||$1.26||$1.29||$670.60 million||$678.00 million||View||Listen|
|7/18/2014||Q214||$1.17||$1.21||$645.05 million||$650.00 million||View||N/A|
|4/16/2014||Q114||$0.99||$1.05||$600.34 million||$607.40 million||View||N/A|
|1/24/2014||Q413||$1.10||$1.03||$617.76 million||$616.00 million||View||N/A|
|10/18/2013||Q313||$1.12||$1.10||$628.40 million||$622.00 million||View||N/A|
|7/19/2013||Q2 2013||$0.95||$0.96||$579.30 million||$579.00 million||View||N/A|
|4/19/2013||Q1 2013||$0.88||$0.99||$572.19 million||$553.00 million||View||N/A|
|1/22/2013||Q4 2012||$0.82||$0.92||$568.54 million||$568.40 million||View||N/A|
Earnings Estimates for Kansas City Southern (NYSE:KSU)
2017 EPS Consensus Estimate: $5.10
(Data provided by Zacks Investment Research)
|Quarter||Number of Estimates||Low Estimate||High Estimate||Average Estimate|
Current Dividend Information for Kansas City Southern (NYSE:KSU)
|Dividend Growth:||27.00% (3 Year Average)|
|Payout Ratio:||29.80% (Trailing 12 Months of Earnings) |
25.98% (Based on This Year's Estimates)
23.20% (Based on Next Year's Estimates)
|Track Record:||3 Years of Consecutive Dividend Growth|
Dividend History by Quarter for Kansas City Southern (NYSE:KSU)
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Announced||Period||Amount||Yield||Ex-Dividend Date||Record Date||Payable Date|
Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History for Kansas City Southern (NYSE:KSU)
Insider Ownership Percentage: 0.86%Insider Trades by Quarter for Kansas City Southern (NYSE:KSU)
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 90.48%
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Details|
|5/10/2017||Robert J. Druten||Director||Sell||3,500||$92.57||$323,995.00|| |
|1/31/2017||Delano Jose Guillermo Zozaya||Insider||Sell||1,000||$85.41||$85,410.00|| |
|8/4/2016||Patrick J Ottensmeyer||CEO||Sell||5,000||$95.62||$478,100.00|| |
|7/29/2016||Michael W Upchurch||CFO||Sell||5,367||$95.18||$510,831.06|| |
|7/20/2016||David L. Starling||Insider||Sell||5,100||$98.88||$504,288.00|| |
|7/20/2016||William J. Wochner||SVP||Sell||26,521||$98.32||$2,607,544.72|| |
|6/9/2016||Robert J Druten||Director||Sell||3,240||$89.94||$291,405.60|| |
|2/17/2016||Warren K. Erdman||EVP||Sell||3,000||$82.00||$246,000.00|| |
|12/9/2015||Patrick J Ottensmeyer||President||Buy||2,500||$76.22||$190,550.00|| |
|9/4/2015||Warren K Erdman||EVP||Sell||1,500||$91.00||$136,500.00|| |
|6/10/2015||Michael J Naatz||VP||Sell||3,380||$93.06||$314,542.80|| |
|3/2/2015||William J Wochner||SVP||Sell||20,000||$116.68||$2,333,600.00|| |
|2/27/2015||Michael R Haverty||Director||Sell||80,973||$116.39||$9,424,447.47|| |
|2/24/2015||Warren K Erdman||EVP||Sell||4,200||$119.30||$501,060.00|| |
|10/28/2014||David L Starling||CEO||Sell||7,500||$121.52||$911,400.00|| |
|10/28/2014||William J Wochner||SVP||Sell||20,000||$121.40||$2,428,000.00|| |
|9/9/2014||Warren K Erdman||EVP||Sell||1,731||$115.60||$200,103.60|| |
|4/29/2014||Mary Stadler||CAO||Sell||10,570||$99.97||$1,056,682.90|| |
|11/1/2013||Warren K Erdman||EVP||Sell||3,500||$122.00||$427,000.00|| |
|10/28/2013||David L Starling||CEO||Sell||5,655||$123.55||$698,675.25|| |
|10/28/2013||Patrick J Ottensmeyer||EVP||Sell||7,500||$122.68||$920,100.00|| |
|5/28/2013||Michael W Upchurch||CFO||Sell||13,588||$113.85||$1,546,993.80|| |
|5/14/2013||Antonio O Garza||Director||Sell||2,500||$115.67||$289,175.00|| |
|5/9/2013||David R Ebbrecht||COO||Sell||2,522||$110.20||$277,924.40|| |
|11/16/2012||Henry R Davis||Director||Buy||67,300||$73.92||$4,974,816.00|| |
Headline Trends for Kansas City Southern (NYSE:KSU)
Latest Headlines for Kansas City Southern (NYSE:KSU)
Kansas City Southern (KSU) Chart for Thursday, May, 25, 2017