Stone Energy Corporation is an independent oil and natural gas company. The Company is engaged in the acquisition, exploration, exploitation, development and operation of oil and gas properties. The Company operates in the Gulf of Mexico (GOM) basin. It has leveraged its operations in the GOM conventional shelf and has its reserve base in the prolific basins of the GOM deep water, Gulf Coast deep gas, and the Marcellus and Utica shales in Appalachia. Its estimated proved oil and natural gas reserves are over 60 million barrels of oil equivalents (MMBoe) or 340 billion cubic feet equivalent (Bcfe). Over 95 MMBoe or 570 Bcfe of its estimated proved reserves are revised downward. It has made investments in seismic data and leasehold interests, and has geological, geophysical, engineering and operational operations in deep water arena to evaluate potential exploration, development and acquisition opportunities. It holds over two deep water platforms, producing reserves and various leases.
Industry, Sector and Symbol:
- Sector: Oils/Energy
- Industry: Independent Oil & Gas
- Sub-Industry: Oil & Gas Exploration & Production
- Symbol: NYSE:SGY
- CUSIP: 86164210
- Web: www.stoneenergy.com
- Market Cap: $574.17 million
- Outstanding Shares: 19,999,000
- 50 Day Moving Avg: $24.66
- 200 Day Moving Avg: $21.97
- 52 Week Range: $16.50 - $72.16
Sales & Book Value:
- Trailing P/E Ratio: N/A
- Foreward P/E Ratio: -23.59
- P/E Growth: 5.50
- Annual Revenue: $364.82 million
- Price / Sales: 1.64
- Book Value: $14.45 per share
- Price / Book: 2.07
- EBIDTA: $201.9 million
- Net Margins: 41.74%
- Return on Equity: -215.45%
- Return on Assets: 29.97%
- Debt-to-Equity Ratio: 0.82%
- Current Ratio: 2.41%
- Quick Ratio: 2.41%
- Average Volume: 286,439 shs.
- Beta: 1.68
- Short Ratio: 3.5
Frequently Asked Questions for Stone Energy Corporation (NYSE:SGY)
What is Stone Energy Corporation's stock symbol?
Stone Energy Corporation trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "SGY."
How were Stone Energy Corporation's earnings last quarter?
Stone Energy Corporation (NYSE:SGY) issued its quarterly earnings data on Monday, August, 7th. The company reported $0.33 earnings per share (EPS) for the quarter, beating analysts' consensus estimates of ($0.09) by $0.42. The firm earned $76.72 million during the quarter. Stone Energy Corporation had a net margin of 41.74% and a negative return on equity of 215.45%. View Stone Energy Corporation's Earnings History.
When will Stone Energy Corporation make its next earnings announcement?
Where is Stone Energy Corporation's stock going? Where will Stone Energy Corporation's stock price be in 2017?
3 equities research analysts have issued 1 year target prices for Stone Energy Corporation's shares. Their predictions range from $3.00 to $10.00. On average, they expect Stone Energy Corporation's share price to reach $6.50 in the next year. View Analyst Ratings for Stone Energy Corporation.
What are analysts saying about Stone Energy Corporation stock?
Here are some recent quotes from research analysts about Stone Energy Corporation stock:
- 1. According to Zacks Investment Research, "Stone Energy underperformed the industry year to date. Lower oil and gas prices affected the results. Moreover, the company is facing pressure on top line and has seen its total revenues decline at a CAGR of 31.2% over the past three years. Stone Energy had filed for relief under Chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Code. The company's operations, business plans and its continuation as an entity will be subject to uncertainties related with bankruptcy. The company’s results are directly exposed to oil and gas prices, which are inherently volatile and subject to complex market forces. Given these headwinds, we see Stone Energy as a risky bet that ordinary investors should exit." (9/20/2017)
- 2. National Securities analysts commented, "What Happened:
• Stone emerged from bankruptcy on February 28, removing $1.2 billion in liabilities from its balance sheet.
• Former holders of the 2017 and 2022 notes, will receive 19 million shares, representing 95% of the newly organized common shares.
• Stone will maintain its listing on the NYSE, and will trade under the same SGY ticker symbol.
• In 4Q16, SGY entered into a purchase and sale agreement with TH Exploration, to dispose of its Appalachian assets in exchange for $360 million in cash. We expect the sale to close on Feb 28, 2017, at which point SGY will no longer have assets or operations in the region.
• Stone produced 43.7 thousand barrels of oil equivalent per day (Mboe/d), near the upper band of company guidance. Additionally the company saw a 7% reduction to its base of proved reserves
• In all candor, Stone’s emergence from bankruptcy significantly improves its balance sheet, putting upward pressure on share prices, and providing investors with an admittedly compelling value prospect at current levels. Indeed, given the downward revision in reserves, coupled with expectations for lower production, our knee jerk reaction would be to remain neutral on company shares. Still, the reduction of over $1 billion in debt cannot be ignored, and solves what has been Stone’s biggest pain point in recent years.
• In addition to positively impacting the balance sheet, the reduction in debt levels will also reduce Stone’s interest expense burden. By our own model, we project a decline in quarterly interest to $5 million, from $14.6 in 4Q16.
• The sale of its Appalachian assets will likely have a sharp negative impact on production volumes. We note that in 4Q16, production from Stone’s Appalachian assets was approximately 128 Million cubic feet per day (Mmcfe/d), or approximately 21 Mboe/d when converted to oil equivalents. To that end, we expect both Stone’s production volumes and production mix to change, moving forward. Specifically, our 2017 model estimates 24 Mboe/d in the second quarter down 45% from the 43.7 Mboe/d Stone produced in 4Q16. Moreover, where we have traditionally viewed Stone as having a balanced production mix between oil natural gas, and natural gas liquids (NGL’s), we now view the company as having a significantly larger oil blend, modeling 65% moving forward.
• We actually contend that this is a beneficial time for Stone in regards to a shift in production mix, as oil prices have begun to strengthen within the last quarter. Additionally, investors should note that Stone produces oil that receives Light Louisiana Sweet (LLS) pricing, which traditionally trades at a premium to benchmark WTI.
• The sale of its Appalachian assets will impact production but is likely to have a smaller impact on Stone’s reserve base. While the sale of assets generally leads to declines in proved reserves, we note that Stone already received a negative revision in 2015 on the aforementioned asset. To that end, we view the decline from 57 Mmboe to 53 Mmboe as relatively mild.
• At this time, we are raising our price target on Stone to $10 (from 6), while upgrading its shares to BUY. Given the aforementioned developments we contend that Stone has value at current levels. We expect that Stone’s share count will grow in the near future, and highlight that we are accounting for 20 million shares in 1Q17, versus 5.6 in 4Q16. We continue to evaluate Stone on the basis of reserves, production, and discretionary cash flow, while making adjustments for net debt. Our $10 price target equates to .76x our 2017 discretionary cash flow per share (DCF) estimate of $13.10
Are investors shorting Stone Energy Corporation?
Stone Energy Corporation saw a decline in short interest in the month of August. As of August 31st, there was short interest totalling 983,295 shares, a decline of 38.2% from the August 15th total of 1,592,096 shares. Based on an average daily trading volume, of 195,060 shares, the days-to-cover ratio is currently 5.0 days. Approximately 5.0% of the shares of the stock are sold short.
Who are some of Stone Energy Corporation's key competitors?
Some companies that are related to Stone Energy Corporation include Gran Tierra Energy (GTE), Baytex Energy Corp (BTE), Bonavista Energy Corp (BNP), Trilogy Energy Corp (TET), Calfrac Well Services Ltd (CFW), Crew Energy (CR), Pengrowth Energy Corp (PGF), Bonanza Creek Energy (BCEI), Gluskin Sheff + Associates (GS), Bonterra Energy Corp (BNE), Cardinal Energy Ltd (CJ), Athabasca Oil Corp (ATH), BlackPearl Resources (PXX), Argonaut Gold (AR), goeasy Ltd (GSY), Mainstreet Equity Corp. (MEQ), SilverBow Resources (SBOW) and Delphi Energy Corp. (DEE).
Who owns Stone Energy Corporation stock?
Stone Energy Corporation's stock is owned by a variety of of institutional and retail investors. Top institutional shareholders include Franklin Resources Inc. (36.05%), Mackay Shields LLC (19.60%), State Street Corp (1.54%), Royce & Associates LP (1.07%), Northern Trust Corp (0.99%) and Ameriprise Financial Inc. (0.97%). Company insiders that own Stone Energy Corporation stock include John J Leonard, Kay G Priestly, Kenneth H Beer and Robert S Murley. View Institutional Ownership Trends for Stone Energy Corporation.
Who sold Stone Energy Corporation stock? Who is selling Stone Energy Corporation stock?
Stone Energy Corporation's stock was sold by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including Mackay Shields LLC and Ameriprise Financial Inc.. Company insiders that have sold Stone Energy Corporation stock in the last year include John J Leonard, Kay G Priestly, Kenneth H Beer and Robert S Murley. View Insider Buying and Selling for Stone Energy Corporation.
Who bought Stone Energy Corporation stock? Who is buying Stone Energy Corporation stock?
Stone Energy Corporation's stock was bought by a variety of institutional investors in the last quarter, including State Street Corp, Royce & Associates LP, Northern Trust Corp, Schwab Charles Investment Management Inc., TIAA CREF Investment Management LLC, Bank of New York Mellon Corp, QS Investors LLC and Dynamic Technology Lab Private Ltd. View Insider Buying and Selling for Stone Energy Corporation.
How do I buy Stone Energy Corporation stock?
Shares of Stone Energy Corporation can be purchased through any online brokerage account. Popular online brokerages include Vanguard Brokerage Services, TD Ameritrade, E*TRADE, Scottrade, Fidelity and Charles Schwab.
What is Stone Energy Corporation's stock price today?
MarketBeat Community Rating for Stone Energy Corporation (NYSE SGY)MarketBeat's community ratings are surveys of what our community members think about Stone Energy Corporation and other stocks. Vote "Outperform" if you believe the stock will outperform the S&P 500 over the long term. Vote "Underperform" if you believe the stock will underperform the S&P 500 over the long term. You may vote once every thirty days.
One share of Stone Energy Corporation stock can currently be purchased for approximately $29.96.
Consensus Ratings for Stone Energy Corporation (NYSE:SGY) (How are Consensus Ratings Calculated?)
MarketBeat calculates consensus ratings using the most recent rating from each brokerage that has rated a stock within the last twelve months. Since brokers often use different ratings systems, each rating is normalized to a standardized rating score of 1 (sell), 2 (hold), 3 (buy) or 4 (strong buy). Consensus ratings scores are calculated using the mean average of the number of normalized sell, hold, buy and strong buy ratings. Each stock's consensus rating is derived from its calculated consensus ratings score (0-1.5 = Sell, 1.5-2.5 = Hold, 2.5-3.5 = Buy, >3.5 = Strong Buy). MarketBeat's consensus price targets are a mean average of the most recent available price targets set by each analyst that has set a price target for the stock in the last twelve months.
MarketBeat will no longer include ratings and price target data in its consensus calculation if a broker drops coverage and MarketBeat has received a report that coverage was dropped. Ratings from certain research firms that issue ratings using purely quantitative methods (such as Zacks, Vetr and ValuEngine) are not included in consensus calculations. MarketBeat's consensus ratings and consensus price targets may differ from those calculated by other firms due to differences in methodology and available data.
|Ratings Breakdown: ||1 Sell Rating, 1 Hold Rating, 1 Buy Rating|
|Consensus Rating:||Hold (Score: 2.00)|
|Consensus Price Target: ||$6.50 (78.30% downside)|
Analysts' Ratings History for Stone Energy Corporation (NYSE:SGY)
(Data available from 9/26/2015 forward)
|Date||Firm||Action||Rating||Price Target||Impact on Share Price||Details|
|3/1/2017||Capital One Financial Corporation||Upgrade||Underweight -> Equal Weight||N/A|
|2/28/2017||National Securities||Upgrade||Neutral -> Buy||$6.00 -> $10.00||N/A|
|10/17/2016||Barclays PLC||Downgrade||Equal Weight -> Underweight||$3.00||N/A|
|6/30/2016||Howard Weil||Boost Price Target||Sector Perform||$17.00||N/A|
|6/1/2016||Imperial Capital||Lower Price Target||Outperform||$8.00 -> $6.00||N/A|
|6/1/2016||FBR & Co||Downgrade||Outperform -> Mkt Perform||N/A|
|4/18/2016||Johnson Rice||Downgrade||Buy -> Hold||N/A|
|3/11/2016||Piper Jaffray Companies||Downgrade||Neutral -> Underweight||$2.00||N/A|
|3/11/2016||Simmons||Downgrade||Neutral -> Underweight||$2.00||N/A|
|2/12/2016||Ladenburg Thalmann Financial Services||Downgrade||Buy -> Neutral||N/A|
|1/19/2016||KLR Group||Lower Price Target||$9.00 -> $5.00||N/A|
|1/13/2016||Seaport Global Securities||Downgrade||Accumulate -> Neutral||$7.50 -> $3.00||N/A|
|12/22/2015||Scotiabank||Reiterated Rating||Sector Perform||$6.00 -> $5.00||N/A|
|11/11/2015||Canaccord Genuity||Reiterated Rating||Buy||$3.50||N/A|
Earnings History for Stone Energy Corporation (NYSE:SGY)Earnings History by Quarter for Stone Energy Corporation (NYSE SGY)
(Data available from 1/1/2011 forward)
|Date||Quarter||Consensus Estimate||Actual EPS||Revenue Estimate||Actual Revenue||Release Link||Conference Call||Details|
|8/7/2017||Q2 2017||($0.09)||$0.33||$76.72 million||View||Listen|
|2/23/2017||Q4||($6.65)||($4.88)||$92.00 million||$113.11 million||View||N/A|
|11/7/2016||Q3||($6.67)||($7.40)||$32.17 million||$94.43 million||View||N/A|
|8/2/2016||Q2||($6.42)||($7.45)||$79.01 million||$89.32 million||View||N/A|
|5/4/2016||Q1||($0.76)||($0.79)||$72.52 million||$80.68 million||View||N/A|
|2/22/2016||Q415||$0.08||$0.04||$109.64 million||$110.50 million||View||Listen|
|11/2/2015||Q3||($0.09)||($0.15)||$128.15 million||$132.20 million||View||Listen|
|8/5/2015||Q2||($0.10)||($0.17)||$149.02 million||$149.50 million||View||Listen|
|5/4/2015||Q1||($0.19)||($0.23)||$167.43 million||$153.50 million||View||Listen|
|2/24/2015||Q4||($0.09)||($3.47)||$175.92 million||$184.78 million||View||Listen|
|11/4/2014||Q3||$0.07||($0.54)||$179.12 million||$183.20 million||View||Listen|
|8/5/2014||Q2||$0.39||$0.08||$221.53 million||$204.96 million||View||Listen|
|5/5/2014||Q114||$0.39||$0.52||$218.26 million||$223.80 million||View||Listen|
|2/24/2014||Q413||$0.57||$0.56||$245.50 million||$239.25 million||View||Listen|
|11/5/2013||Q313||$0.76||$0.72||$248.52 million||$256.68 million||View||Listen|
|8/5/2013||Q2 2013||$0.68||$0.78||$222.89 million||$245.90 million||View||Listen|
|5/6/2013||Q1 2013||$0.72||$0.82||$223.29 million||$232.90 million||View||Listen|
|2/25/2013||Q4 2012||$0.55||$0.89||$240.62 million||$254.90 million||View||Listen|
|11/6/2012||Q312||$0.57||$0.48||$219.42 million||$226.72 million||View||N/A|
Earnings Estimates for Stone Energy Corporation (NYSE:SGY)
2017 EPS Consensus Estimate: ($9.43)
(Data provided by Zacks Investment Research)
|Quarter||Number of Estimates||Low Estimate||High Estimate||Average Estimate|
Dividend History for Stone Energy Corporation (NYSE:SGY)
No dividend announcements for this company have been tracked by MarketBeat.com
Insider Trading and Institutional Ownership History for Stone Energy Corporation (NYSE:SGY)
Insider Ownership Percentage: 3.50%Insider Trades by Quarter for Stone Energy Corporation (NYSE:SGY)
Institutional Ownership Percentage: 96.28%
(Data available from 1/1/2013 forward)
|Transaction Date||Insider Name||Title||Buy/Sell||Number of Shares||Average Share Price||Total Transaction||Details|
|3/7/2017||John J Leonard||VP||Sell||814||$21.11||$17,183.54|| |
|12/30/2016||Robert S. Murley||Director||Sell||4,027||$7.21||$29,034.67|| |
|12/23/2016||Kay G Priestly||Director||Sell||520||$8.71||$4,529.20|| |
|12/22/2016||Kenneth H. Beer||CFO||Sell||4,000||$9.70||$38,800.00|| |
|3/31/2015||David H Welch||CEO||Sell||11,000||$14.64||$161,040.00|| |
|11/6/2014||Kevin G Hurst||VP||Sell||3,000||$22.00||$66,000.00|| |
|3/11/2014||Phyllis Taylor||Director||Buy||7,000||$34.51||$241,570.00|| |
|5/28/2013||Kevin G Hurst||VP||Sell||1,000||$23.19||$23,190.00|| |
Headline Trends for Stone Energy Corporation (NYSE:SGY)
Latest Headlines for Stone Energy Corporation (NYSE:SGY)
Stone Energy Corporation (SGY) Chart for Tuesday, September, 26, 2017